Help wanted regarding upgrades

#1 Posted by Cincaid (2948 posts) -

Hey gang 

So I recently started Chapter 11. After reading about how easy it was to miss out on the "Treasure Hunter" achievement I haven't dared to start upgrading anything yet, or selling anything for that matter. I just wanted to see if I somewhat understood things I read in various guides before I waste my materials, and since the guides (and the upgrade-system itself) confuse the shit out of me. 

Let's say I want Weapon Beta, which I get from upgrading Weapon Alpha. I first need to boost the XP-gain on Weapon Alpha by using various organic components. I then boost Weapon Alpha's XP to max (?) level with various electronic components. Once it's max level I use a final catalyst component, and bingo I have myself a Weapon Beta. 

Am I anywhere close to understand how this system work? Do I need to make the weapon maxlevel before I can use a catalyst on it? 
Hopefully someone can answer my stupid questions, since I'm feeling like a major idiot right now. :(
#2 Posted by Cincaid (2948 posts) -

Anyone able to say if I'm at least way off track, or somewhat correct? >.>
#3 Posted by Marcsman (2895 posts) -

Sorry dude you are way ahead of me. I got the guide though. Post it again tomorrow and I will try and look it up for you.
#4 Posted by Zicdab (388 posts) -

You have to max out a weapon before you can use a catalyst on it.  What catalyst you need depends on the weapon.  When I finished the game I didn't have a single weapon that was Omega, but you may need to upgrade them to Omega if you want to beat creatures after the ending.  Look up to see what organics are the best to you give you bonus multipliers and which mechanical parts give you the most experience.  This guide might help:  http://ff-13.info/category/weapons/

#5 Posted by Zicdab (388 posts) -

You have to max out a weapon before you can use a catalyst on it.  What catalyst you need depends on the weapon.  When I finished the game I didn't have a single weapon that was Omega, but you may need to upgrade them to Omega if you want to beat creatures after the ending.  Look up to see what organics are the best to you give you bonus multipliers and which mechanical parts give you the most experience.  This guide might help:  http://ff-13.info/category/weapons/

#6 Posted by Cincaid (2948 posts) -
@zicdab:
Thanks dude, assume I was somewhat correct then!
#7 Posted by AllisonByProxy (47 posts) -

The ridiculousness of this game knows no bounds>

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.