Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Hong Kong Magazine gives Final Fantasy XIII a 4 out of 10

• 85 results
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By ThomasP

Thus, I've come to the conclusion that Hong Kong Magazine sucks shiza balls.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#52  Edited By EpicSteve
    @jakob187 said:
    " Who is this magazine?  What significance do they hold in the gaming industry? "
    BAM
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By iamjohn
    @KaosAngel: wait, what?  When did I ever say that P3 was better than P4?  Persona 3 is busted, janky, awfully paced and a bit terrible but I still really really like it.  Persona 4 is one of the best games ever created. :P
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By Shadow

so....China sucks?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Jeust
    @ThomasP said:
    " Thus, I've come to the conclusion that Hong Kong Magazine sucks shiza balls. "
    Just because it doesn't give the scoreyouwant, doesn't make it bad. From what i've heard i agree with the sod.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By KaosAngel
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @KaosAngel: wait, what?  When did I ever say that P3 was better than P4?  Persona 3 is busted, janky, awfully paced and a bit terrible but I still really really like it.  Persona 4 is one of the best games ever created. :P "
    My bad then.  Hopefully P5 fixes the other shit in P4, and has trophy support for once.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ThomasP
    @Jeust said:

" @ThomasP said:

" Thus, I've come to the conclusion that Hong Kong Magazine sucks shiza balls. "
    Just because it doesn't give the scoreyouwant, doesn't make it bad. From what i've heard i agree with the sod. "
    The score I want? I don't care what score the game gets, but I think 4/10 is suspiciously low. Sorry if my opinion offended you.
    PenguinDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By PenguinDoctor
    @iAmJohn:
    It may be uncreative, but it's pretty genius.  Think about it, it's the official magazine of Hong Kong, who's going to argue with them about anything related to Hong Kong?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jeust
    @ThomasP said:

" @Jeust said:

" @ThomasP said:

Just because it doesn't give the scoreyouwant, doesn't make it bad. From what i've heard i agree with the sod. "
    The score I want? I don't care what score the game gets, but I think 4/10 is suspiciously low. Sorry if my opinion offended you. "
    It doesn't, sorry if i appeared that way. I simply, don't think we should criticize based on the fact that the game should have a better grade. 

Though the score is low i agree with much that he said. I don't feel like playing 16 hours to get to the interesting part. :p

@KaosAngel said:
    "Don't dis FF12...>.>  It was ahead of it's time. "
    It really was... though unfortunatly i never played the International version. I don't know if the final fantasy games will ever again get this good in terms of gameplay.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jeust said:
    "  unfortunatly i never played the International version. I don't know if the final fantasy games will ever again get this good in terms of gameplay. "
    Import it.  Hands down FF12:  International Zodiac Job System fixes EVERYTHING in FF12 and is the perfect version.  In terms of Gameplay, there is no FF game that is equal.  You can debate story all you want but Square perfected the gameplay in the International version in everyway.   

Hunt down a copy and most of it is in English!  Everyone owes it to themselves to play it...I never beat FF12 but I beat FF12:IZJS many, many, many times.  That's how good it is. 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jeust
    @KaosAngel said:

" @Jeust said:

"  unfortunatly i never played the International version. I don't know if the final fantasy games will ever again get this good in terms of gameplay. "
    Import it.  Hands down FF12:  International Zodiac Job System fixes EVERYTHING in FF12 and is the perfect version.  In terms of Gameplay, there is no FF game that is equal.  You can debate story all you want but Square perfected the gameplay in the International version in everyway.    Hunt down a copy and most of it is in English!  Everyone owes it to themselves to play it...I never beat FF12 but I beat FF12:IZJS many, many, many times.  That's how good it is.  "
    hummm... what does it fix? "can perfection be improved?" :p
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By Linkyshinks

Fuck this shit, HK Magazine, a magazine made primarily for tourists, ain't  got a fucking clue about games.   

http://hk-magazine.com/     -If you expect to find honest insightful game reviews here, your an idiot.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Jeust:  

1.  Zodiac Job System, contains 12 Jobs familiar to Final Fantasy fans.  Only one Job can be picked for each character and the License Board is different for each one.  Each is twice the size of the original board found in FF12.   
    2.  No more shitty Mist Knack System, MP is gained through levels and Licence Board (some Jobs have NO MP), Mist Knacks are now done is a different way. 
    3.  Fast-Forward Gameplay, push L1 and speed up the game by 5 times the normal speed.  Great for moving around or leveling on weaker mobs. 
    4.  FULL GAMBIT SYSTEM UNLOCKED FROM START, no need to find that shit in chests. 
    5.  Re-spawnable Treasures, no more shitty system from FF12. 
    6.  New Challenges and even HARDER Bosses...and you thought Yazmat was a pain. 
    7.  Full English Voices but keeps Japanese text.  Lack of space on disc. 
    8.  Changed LP Costs, and other minor stuff. 
    9.  Fixed most glitches and made the game look better in native 16:9  
    10.  Battle Area (Test your Skills) 
    11.  Strong Mode and Weak Mode, Strong Mode starts you off at lv 99, Weak Mode caps you at lv 1 with NO STAT bonuses...all dependent on skill and equips. 
    12.  A much better cover art (I hate the Japanese covers for FF games...look so boring).  >.> 

Things I want to see in Final Fantasy XIII International Crystalium Job System 

1.  Full Party Select during battle 
    2.  THE REAL FF Job System Returning and not this "Blaster, Jammer, Defender" shit. 
    3.  Extended Chapters for Story 
    4.  More Missions for Post-Game 
    5.  Faster ATB Speed 
    6.  Battle Arena from FF12 International  
    7.  Harder Game 
    8.  Another Set of Titan Trials 
    9.  KEEP JAPANESE VOICES, FUCKING HELL THE AMERICAN VO FOR 13 IS SHITTER THAN DRAGON BALL 
    10.  New Grand Pulse or Extend Areas of Grand Pulse 
    11.  Bring in New Summons (will break story but who cares) 
    12.  Bring Back Online P2P Shops from Final Fantasy X International ONLINE BATTLE CO-OP!
    13.  New Items, new Limit Breaks (make everyone have 2 now), new weapons, etc!
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jeust
    @KaosAngel: It sounds good :)

Gonna look for it on ebay now... thanks :p
    Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

A random person from a relatively unknown gaming magazine/site gives a hyped highly anticipated game a low score.  In other news, the sky is blue, dogs bark, and politicians lie.  Speaking of FF12 though, I really wish SE would release it fully translated as a digital download.  That would rock ass.  With how much money they make just uploading old PSone games to PSN, here's hoping they connect the dots.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
    " @Jeust:    7.  Full English Voices but keeps Japanese text.  Lack of space on disc. "
    Are all the menus etc in Japanese?
    SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#67  Edited By SBYM

A fantastic review.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Khann said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @Jeust:    7.  Full English Voices but keeps Japanese text.  Lack of space on disc. "
    Are all the menus etc in Japanese? "
    Yeah, but if you're familiar with Final Fantasy or FF12, it's really easy to play by memorization.  The Job System makes it so you know that each person with have certain skills so it's easier.  My buddy played through it just fine and enjoyed it with having zero reading skills at the time.  You'll know if you're boosting attack, magic, HP, MP, etc cause most of it is done with pictures.   Weapons and Items show how much gain you get and all the numbers are in English.   

License Board is just pictures so it's easy to figure out.  

It's a fun game to try out!  
    juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By juice8367

This just reinforces my feeling that I will not enjoy this game despite liking most of the series.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By KaosAngel
    @juice8367 said:
    " This just reinforces my feeling that I will not enjoy this game despite liking most of the series. "
    I felt the same way as a hardcore Squaresoft fan for my entire gaming hood.  However, the closer you get to the end and entire Grand Pulse becomes open, you change your mind on the gameplay.   

Square didn't fully die yet, just go through the pain of the first 10 Chapters and things will get better.  Once you see how the game is going to be connected to Agito and Versus, you will admit that Square is still in there.   

The end game content is more than the entire story of FF13 so take it for what you want. 
    juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By juice8367
    @KaosAngel: How long does it take to get through the first 10 chapters?
    mattysen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By mattysen
    @slinky6 said:
    " It got 39/40 in Famitsu.   I trust that more that Kombo.   Sorry. "
    Didn't Blue Dragon get something like 39/40 of Famitsu? 
     Anyways there will always be someone who's biased to this genre, too bad it sounds like they couldn't get an appreciative journalist to review the game. 
    Being linear isn't the end all for an RPG, especially when it's so focused being story driven. Besides end game side quests tend to be the best since it can use the full extent of the gameplay by then. Mabye they are trying for the innovation everyone is calling for by changing up the formula  

And for people are crying out "Oooo melodramatic story. Don't like that"  have you played a fucking Final Fantasy before? 
    MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

The reviewer claimed that they couldn't stand more than 8 hours of the game, which leads me to believe that they didn't finish it. I don't take reviews seriously unless the reviewer finishes the game.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By KaosAngel
    @juice8367 said:

" @KaosAngel: How long does it take to get through the first 10 chapters? "

Took me 22 hours with a few hours of grinding items in an area that had repawn-able mobs.... 

EDIT:  If you think about it, 22 hours isn't that bad for a game to get good.  After the first 10 Chapters you're free to do all the Missions and Areas, you sure as hell won't finish the first 10% until you beat the game and unlock the full grid, but you'll spend more time in Chapter 11 than the entire time leading up to it.  
    juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By juice8367
    @KaosAngel: Thats a pretty long time to begin enjoying anything
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By KaosAngel
    @juice8367 said:
    " @KaosAngel: Thats a pretty long time to begin enjoying anything "
    Oh come on, you pushed through the first 2 discs of Final Fantasy IX until that got good.  That's way longer than 22 hours and the first 10 Chapters of a 13 Chapter game.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Jeust
    @KaosAngel said:

" @juice8367 said:

" @KaosAngel: Thats a pretty long time to begin enjoying anything "
    Oh come on, you pushed through the first 2 discs of Final Fantasy IX until that got good.  That's way longer than 22 hours and the first 10 Chapters of a 13 Chapter game. "
    That's two and one quarter Dead Spaces lol

It's a bit, since most games don't last that long. That's one of the things i agree with this review. It's a lot of time to start enjoying something.
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78  Edited By meteora

Don't trust articles from Hong Kong; they've got far too many media associated companies with varying opinions.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79  Edited By meteora

Don't trust articles from Hong Kong; they've got far too many media associated companies with varying opinions.

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By juice8367
    @KaosAngel: I didn't really like FF9 so I probably will not really like this one.  But you know what, hopefully I'm wrong...
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By KaosAngel
    @juice8367 said:
    " @KaosAngel: I didn't really like FF9 so I probably will not really like this one.  But you know what, hopefully I'm wrong... "
    I hope so too.  It doesn't deserve the solid AAA status but hopefully the soon-to-be announced International Version for Japan will take care of all the faults in FF13.
    phonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By phonics

'they game my favourite JRPG a bad score WAAAAH, this magazine sucks ass!!! *goes back to watching anime*'

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By captain_clayman
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @captain_clayman said:
    " @slinky6 said:
    " It got 39/40 in Famitsu.   I trust that more that Kombo.   Sorry. "
    yeah and doesn't famitsu usually rate things pretty harsh? "
    ...they gave Nintendogz a 40/40 you tell us. "
    D : 

well, that was WAAY back when everyone was still like "OH SHIT IT HAS 2 SCREENS!!" so that's a little more understandable. 

besides, who doesn't love puppies!
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @iAmJohn said:

"Also don't dismiss FES because even though The Answer sucks, the Fes version of P3 is still better than the original release. "

FES defeated the whole point of the story of P3..... "
    Yeah the addition of FES didn't taint the original game. In fact they even enhanced the original game. 
    I didn't like The Answer either, but it's not hard to ignore it. 
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Nekroskop

This game is Nomura's swansong. I hope another art director can fix sinking ship the Final Fantasy series has become. I for one haven't bought a single FF since FF10 and I'm not gonna be suckered into another teen-angst/amnesia/androgynous drama again(I've played a few of the later ones, but they were terrible)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.