I actually like Vanille... and all characters!

• 54 results
#1 Posted by xyzygy (9939 posts) -

You know how every RPG has it's perky, high pitched character? Vanille is that in this game. Usually I hate that character is games (Sarah Jerand from SO4, Cooke from Lost Odyssey, Kluke from Blue Dragon, Polka from Eternal Sonata, Aya from Infinite Undiscovery... etc) but Vanille... I actually really like. It might be the accent, or something, but I get the feeling that she's not fake or anything. She just seems like a really likeable character. The only other recent game I can think of where I liked this type of character is Estelle from ToV. 

In terms of the other characters, I really like all of them. I was expecting Sazh to be cracking stupid one liners all the time and sounding like Sam L. Jackson, but he has really surprised me. He's a really deep character so far. Even Hope too, is very well done. He's so tiny :P 

So yeah, characters in this game are awesome so far. How bout you?

#2 Posted by lukusluke (99 posts) -

xyzygy and Vanille sitting in a tree...

#3 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

Lightning is probably the LEAST annoying protagonist in any polygonal Final Fantasy. Sazh is allright too, likeable guy. But the others? 

I dunno man. Vanille ESPECIALLY. Horrible.

The game itself is awesome though.
#4 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

I have to agree, this is the first RPG I have played in a long time where I am liking all of the characters. Usually there is always one person that really pisses me off or whatever but the cast here is great. You can tell they spent a lot of time putting together each character instead grabbing random archetypes from the RPG pool and calling it a day. Also I think all the main character voice acting is amazing. Except... Vanille. This is not to say her voice actress is bad because I am honestly not sure or not. It is weird I fucking love her voice, it is so adorable but something about it is so... weird. Really I am at a loss of words for her, it is hard to explain. 

Also for everyone if you haven't bothered to read any of the datalogs go look at the character page, then find mini-chocobos, then read. Someone had a lot of fun writing these things and they are amazing XD

#5 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Ever since I played Tales of Symphonia, the overly happy female character in JRPG's has always wanted to make me plug my ears with pencils. Vanille is no exception for me unfortunately. Luckily, we have an exact opposite with Lightning but I can't say I adore any of these characters yet 7 hours into the game.

#6 Posted by xyzygy (9939 posts) -
@Zenaxzd: Yeah, I was looking at that one for the Chocobo... "Sazh just hasn't named him yet" :P
#7 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

To be honest, I dont really give a fuck as long as I can look at lightning the whole game.

Glad to see you actually like the game and have some taste.

#8 Posted by Addfwyn (1919 posts) -

I like Vanille as a character, it's just her english voice acting that gets me.  She was one of my favourites in Japanese. 

Sazh?  Awesome, and always will be awesome.  Not only is he actually an interesting character, he has the most adorable little chocobo ever. 
Hope aggravates me though, but he is the only one.

#9 Posted by xyzygy (9939 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" To be honest, I dont really give a fuck as long as I can look at lightning the whole game.  Glad to see you actually like the game and have some taste. "
What do you mean by that!
#10 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Yukoei said:
" To be honest, I dont really give a fuck as long as I can look at lightning the whole game.  Glad to see you actually like the game and have some taste. "
What do you mean by that! "
Mean by looking at lightning or  liking the game?
#11 Edited by Inf225 (503 posts) -

Vanille is alright... she's a bit annoying  but every FF has one of those characters... so whatever... I really like lightning (of course) and sazh because of his awesome chocobo... but my favorite character so far has to be Snow... i mean dude! its totally Kanji!! Same voice actor and everything!

#12 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -

Vanille is a great character but her voice actor should be taken out the back and shot 

#13 Edited by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Myself, and most of those I talked to, started off hating Hope, but he actually grew on me during the time he becomes the controllable character for awhile.  I really like Lightning, Sazh, and Snow. They're all really well done. I like Vanille, but she suffers from uncanny valley syndrome a lot, where her constant bubbly laughter or awkward hugs just come out wrong. Other than that though, she's a cool character and I've finally got to a point where they've started to make not-so-subtle hints that there are some pretty big secrets she's keeping which leads me to believe that the perpetually forced-sounding laughter is indeed forced.

But you didn't like Polka? DIAF!!!

#14 Posted by xyzygy (9939 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @Yukoei said:
Mean by looking at lightning or  liking the game? "
Liking the game!
#15 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @Yukoei said:
Liking the game! "
I mean that I am glad to see that other people like the game as much as me because its been getting a massive amount of hate.
#16 Edited by xyzygy (9939 posts) -
@Yukoei said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @Yukoei said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @Yukoei said:
Liking the game! "
I mean that I am glad to see that other people like the game as much as me because its been getting a massive amount of hate. "
Oh, yeah. I am freaking LOVING this game!! I can't stop playing and everything about it is AWESOME! Yes the caps were needed!
#17 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Yukoei said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @Yukoei said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @Yukoei said:
Liking the game! "
I mean that I am glad to see that other people like the game as much as me because its been getting a massive amount of hate. "
Oh, yeah. I am freaking LOVING this game!! I can't stop playing and everything about it is AWESOME! Yes the caps were needed! "
I feel exactly the same way, I have no idea why there is so much hate on the game.
#18 Posted by dragonist1 (4 posts) -

I love linear games so this game is right up my valley xD 
And I too am liking all the characters. Hope is kind of annoying at times but it's fair given his circumstance.

#19 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

So far I've been liking Lightning, Sazh, Snow and Vanille. Only like 3 hours in. Hope hasn't catched on me yet.

Oh and Vanille is pretty cool because of her accent. Sure its weird and all, but I think so far its very unique and very much not generic and annoying.

#20 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

I like Snow's Voice Actor the best... he's mother fuckin' Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) and also Kanji (Persona 4)! 

#21 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

Who is the hottest?

#22 Posted by m1k3 (1326 posts) -

the only thing that kinda bothers me about Vanille is her Voice Actor. Sometimes she has an accent, and sometime she doesn't.

#23 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@Luke said:
" I like Snow's Voice Actor the best... he's mother fuckin' Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) and also Kanji (Persona 4)!  "
Oh shit, really?

That earns him some serious points. Fucking love Yuri and Kanji.
#24 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" Who is the hottest? "
Lightning, although i have not met this Sarah character yet, so i might take that back! I also have bad thoughts about Vanille, even though she is pretty young, and why is she fucking cockney!?
#25 Posted by tomte (291 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" Who is the hottest? "
Jill Nabato...
But i dont think i would say no to any of the ladies in this game
#26 Posted by xyzygy (9939 posts) -
@Luke said:
" I like Snow's Voice Actor the best... he's mother fuckin' Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) and also Kanji (Persona 4)!  "
Hey, I didn't notice that. Yuri Lowell kicks ass.
#27 Posted by Soap (3575 posts) -

I like all the characters in that game, except Vanille, and no... thats not my opinion, it's just fact, if you disagree you don't have a different opinion, you are simply wrong.

She needs to die, soon.

#28 Posted by xyzygy (9939 posts) -

I think I like her accent so much because it reminds me of Miranda Lawson, another character I love.

#29 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @Yukoei said:

" @xyzygy said:

" @Yukoei said:
" @xyzygy said:
" @Yukoei said:
Liking the game! "
Oh, yeah. I am freaking LOVING this game!! I can't stop playing and everything about it is AWESOME! Yes the caps were needed! "
I feel exactly the same way, I have no idea why there is so much hate on the game. "
Gotta agree, can barely put this down for anything. Just took my first real break to listen to last nights bombcast, which just after getting out of some FF13 play was painful to listen to them talk about it because well quite frankly the factual stuff they try to talk about they have no idea what they are saying... like ugh. 

Granted this isn't a surprise to me since many podcasts ago Ryan said Blue Dragon and Infinite Undiscovery was developed by Square and everyone just sort of agreed...
#30 Posted by Addfwyn (1919 posts) -
@Zenaxzd:  
You make me worried to listening to the podcast.  Are they just messing up little details (understandable), or jumping on the FFXIII hate bandwagon?  I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.
#31 Edited by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Addfwyn said:

" @Zenaxzd:  You make me worried to listening to the podcast.  Are they just messing up little details (understandable), or jumping on the FFXIII hate bandwagon?  I haven't gotten around to listening to it yet. "

Not to sound like a dick since I love the guys, but Brad jumped on the hate bandwagon after playing for like an hour and Ryan says something to the effect of the game being a major disappointment.

One of his big complaints was spamming autobattle, which blows my mind since you never have to do it and you can make battles go faster if you don't do it and pay attention yourself to do stuff. 

EDIT: Also I should add that Brad jumped on the "hold up on the analog stick" bandwagon which is pretty much driving me insane the more people saying this since it is 100% false.
#32 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -
@Luke said:
"I like Snow's Voice Actor the best... he's mother fuckin' Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) and also Kanji (Persona 4)!  "

He's Kanji?! Alright, I'm buying this game.
#33 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

All the characters suck...

I really don't get how people think these characters are any good after Uncharted 2...

#34 Posted by Out_On_Bail (1545 posts) -

Vanille is okay until she starts running, that's when I have problems with her.

#35 Edited by Magresda (205 posts) -
@Out_On_Bail said:

" Vanille is okay until she starts running, that's when I have problems with her. "

I think her running animation is from Yuna in X-2, actually.
#36 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@Magresda said:
" @Out_On_Bail said:

" Vanille is okay until she starts running, that's when I have problems with her. "

I think her running animation is from Yuna in X-2, actually. "
Her running animation would fit alright if she had some jump ropes.

@Yukoei:
Yeah, Lightnings character design is amazing..Idk about her actual character though..atleast not yet
#37 Posted by Moridin (714 posts) -

Want more mind-blowingness? 

Lightning is Liara T'Soni from the Mass Effect franchise, and Serah is Rise.

Boom!

#38 Edited by xyzygy (9939 posts) -
@Moridin said:

" Want more mind-blowingness?   Lightning is Liara T'Soni from the Mass Effect franchise, and Serah is Rise.  Boom! "

Wow now that you mention that Lightning is Liara, I can kind of hear it. What game is Rise from though? 

@Zenaxzd: LMAO at Infinite Undiscovery and Blue Dragon being developed by SE.
#39 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

God Damn, they have the dumbest names... 

I mean, Snow, really.... REALLY!?

#40 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

Snow is Kanji, you say.  This has cut the time I'll wait to get this game by 3 months.

#41 Posted by GunstarRed (5103 posts) -

I kinda want to stab hope in his face.... I hate his face, his voice...the way he opens and closes that knife..... 

Vanille amuses me.
#42 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (550 posts) -

I really hope the game starts letting me choose my party members. FFXIII likes pairing people off for some reason. Lightning, Sazh, and Snow are going to be my main party when I get the chance.

#43 Posted by Turambar (6726 posts) -

Sazh is great.  Fang is (so far) great.  Both Lightning and Snow have their moments of awkward dialogue, but aside from that, there isn't anything bad I can say about either of them.  Vanille and Hope though...Vanille and Hope...  The former's voice is grating, though character is actually alright.  The latter's voice is fine while his character was wearing on me.  (Though a dozen hours in, I think I'm at his "time to stop being emo" moment, so we'll see.)

#44 Posted by Turambar (6726 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" Who is the hottest? "
I would like to pretend the scene were Lightning bitch slapped Fang involved some cloth ripping and some oil.  Yeah...no way I can pick between them.
#45 Edited by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:

" God Damn, they have the dumbest names...  I mean, Snow, really.... REALLY!? "

Vanille. 

Is her evil twin sister Chocolle or something? 

Is that considered a spoiler? Because I have no idea if it is. 

EDIT: To clarify, I agree. Also, will you be getting DoW2:CR?
#46 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

My master plan is to create a Mega Creation Machine that I will use to create a real life Vanille and then marry her. 

Yep.

#47 Posted by StickShifter05 (46 posts) -

I would definately like a girlfriend or a wife who is like Vanille. I love girly girls!

#48 Posted by Lelcar (599 posts) -

All the voice acting is great I find. Well, Vanille's in-and-out accent is a little stange, but her emotion is there. I'm liking all the characters so far, I see where they're all coming from in their hot-headed opinions. Again though, the only one I'm a little indifferent about is Vanille but I have my spoilery theories about her.
#49 Edited by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

The 'Frocobo is the best character. Not to say I don't like the others; I do find Vanille endearing in some strange way.

#50 Posted by MildMolasses (3218 posts) -

I don't like Hope, but the rest I'm ok with. 

I am creeped out by the design of Serah though. She looks pre-pubescent. If she was a little taller, and a little less twiggy, it might not be so bad. As it is, I find the Snow/Serah thing kind of sick

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.