Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

I called it... Wish I didn't ...

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By vidiot

As a die hard fan of all things Final Fantasy, the last several months have been excruciatingly painful regarding the slapstick clusterfu** logic that Square has been applying to it's upcoming...*ahem*...polymorphic (love that word.)entertainment event, that is Final Fantasy XIII. I hope I'm not coming off like a troll, especially after my last vocal post. At the tail end of that discussion I laid out what I thought was the worst case scenario regarding the FFXIII demo:

"Regarding the length of it being two hours. That seems quite promising, but I wonder if the length of the demo will now give them reason to justify not releasing a free digital release."

I logged on to Kotaku today and stared dumbfounded: http://kotaku.com/5044603/final-fantasy-xiii-demo-may-be-pay-to-play

The Kotaku article points out some fairness regarding the demo. People did pay for a Spore Creature creator. Hell, I admit too that I own a copy of Zone of the Enders because of a certain MGS2 demo. And over two hours is incredibly generous for a demo.

But the Spore creature creator can be used in conjunction with the full retail product... And the MGS2 demo was released during a more simpler time. When consoles didn't have harddrives... or were connected to the series of tubes called "the internet's" and didn't have tailored made online marketplaces and networks for simple digital distribution. Granted fans will always put down cash for stuff regarding what they like, but after several years using Live Marketplace... Or even good old PSN... Will anyone actually bother putting down cash for this?

For a demo? That you should be getting for free.

Thoughts?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

Unless the demo is of the first two hours of gameplay and it lets me move a save over to the completed retail copy, then no I would not pay for a demo.

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Joker

Demos should be free little pieces of the game to convince me to buy the game. If I am going to invest a demo, I might as well just buy the whole game.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By ArchScabby

this is retarded.  Next they will start charging for vids.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Mourne

Square has made some very poor decisions lately, and this doesn't surprise me one bit.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ArchScabby
    Mourne said:
    "Square has made some very poor decisions lately, and this doesn't surprise me one bit."
    hmmm, what other poor decision are you talking about?
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emilio

Well Square Enix needs to make the moneys for the honeys, if you know what I mean.
    I think you're a dumb ass if you pay for a demo. Yes, I'm looking at you Spore creature creator buyers.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By atejas
    Emilio said:
    "Well Square Enix needs to make the moneys for the honeys, if you know what I mean.
    I think you're a dumb ass if you pay for a demo. Yes, I'm looking at you Spore creature creator buyers."
    ...including me, then.
    Oh well, I'll probably just borrow the full version of Spore from a friend, or 'something'. So there.
    calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By calf_exercises

ahhh, its all marketing.

I lothe it and love it at the same time. But I do not agree with chaging people for demos.
    Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Justaddwater

Demos are to get people to try and buy the game, I dont understand where the idea of selling betas/demos came from. You shouldnt have to pay to be advertised to.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mourne
    ArchScabby said:
    "hmmm, what other poor decision are you talking about?"
    Well, it all goes back to trying to expand on Final Fantasy VII. Dirge of Cerberus was absolute garbage--almost to an unbelievable extent. As a gamer who doesn't get off to anime-like sequences and guys who look rather feminine clashing swords together... I actually disliked Advent Children quite a bit. Final Fantasy VII is actually one of my absolute favorite games of all time, so I was excited to hear it was getting expanded all those years ago--simply because it was more of what we all loved.

Hell, I bought a PSP when MGS: Portable Ops came out, and waited all that time for Crisis Core. Crisis Core finally arrived, and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a game. It literally added absolutely nothing--more anime-esque action sequences that would get all-forgiving fans all hot and worked up is all I can think of. The battle system was extremely easy. I didn't die a single time until the Sephiroth fight at Nibelheim, and that was the only time I died in the entire game. The story was so, so lame (just like Advent Children), and really came off as a really poor attempt at exagerrating past events to no end. All of the added characters were standard anime archetypes with predictable plots to follow. The worst part to me, really, was the fact that none of the original game's principal characters came off as anything like what they were before. Aerith was close, but even that's questionable. The greatest injustice was likely Sephiroth, as every time he was having a sword-fighting threesome with Angeal and Genesis, he turned into this really sympathetic waste of matter. Hell, even when they tried to tie in the events of Final Fantasy VII, they were so poorly implemented that it was entirely too hard to care. I could go on and on and on about everything that was messed up with that game (linear battle system, no customization, laughable side missions, only one character to control or deal with at any time, long sessions of nearly limitless limit-breaks (and considering the limit-break slots are pre-determined, it doesn't even matter on that end either), and more and more.

Throw in Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy III's remake on DS, the new Chrono Trigger port (love Chrono Trigger, but another port? C'mon now), Crystal Chronicles (DS, GCN both), and even Final Fantasy XII... Yeah, you could say Square Enix hasn't done right by me lately. Of course, that's just my opinion. A lot of kids and late teenagers are really into the whole anime-type story lines that take linear premises with no promise of a plot, along with banal characters, and make them hug each other with swords a lot. Given how amazing Final Fantasy VII was (and continues to be this day), all of that neo-culture being fused right into the game was completely unnecessary and it hurt Crisis Core hurt it in a big, big way.

Now we have Final Fantasy XIII. OK, awesome, it's a new Final Fantasy that could go back to what made all of the old ones so great (after all, all the way through the tenth game, we had games that could all be considered some of the finest of all time). But, what's this? Final Fantasy Versus XIII? Agito? What? Why is this all necessary? Make those separate games or something, because trying to build out a universe (and really, it doesn't seem like the 'universe' is building together at all at this point) of a game that has no universe yet is a really bad decision.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By coakroach

The whole purpose of a demo is to make sure you don't waste your money
    Sounds stupid as hell
    Unless there's a demo...for......the...........demo?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bfc7e53edc72
    deactivated-5bfc7e53edc72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah, this is slightly retarded.. I guess it would be amusing if the entire demo was a bunch of cutscenes, wouldn't surprise me.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By Vaxadrin
    Cribba said:
    "Yeah, this is slightly retarded.. I guess it would be amusing if the entire demo was a bunch of cutscenes, wouldn't surprise me."
    Well it is supposed to be indicative of the final product.
    MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MerlijnVH

I could be wrong about this, but for a long time I've been hearing Square Enix was having financial issues? Due to long development cycles, etc...
    This could be their way to try and cope with these issues. I'm also rather curious how the Japanese market will react to a pay-to-download demo.

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HitNRun
    Mourne said:
    As a gamer who doesn't get off to anime-like sequences and guys who look rather feminine clashing swords together...
    You could have just stopped there and I would have agreed with you.

Given that the purpose of a demo is to spread hype about your game...well, I can't see how this helps Square very much besides a microinjection of cash. In the US, especially, the demo was already going to have circulation problems because the PS3 currently has half the userbase of the 360. It was cut down further by having it included in a $30 Blu-Ray movie (CMiI'mW). Now if it's pay-to-play, that'll cut it even further.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.