Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

I can't make my mind up about Final Fantasy XIII ...

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Psych0Penguin

I'll start by saying that I haven't played a FF since the PS1 days, and that was when I was young enough to not really care about story and stuff , so the source material has no special meaning to me. I like the semi-steam punk vibe I see and the graphics look hell-a-good but the fighting doesn't look very compelling. I kinda' want to watchthe game rather than play it, especially if they've gotten rid of the free-roaming aspect (which Brad commented on in the podcast) and is now just a corridor crawl. Wondering what other GiantBomber's experiences have been with it so far and if anyone has got some insights or are in a similar predicament etc. 

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CABBAGES

I think its ok. Not too far along in it yet but i think alot of the problems people keep going on about are only in the early bits of the game as i have read about free roaming bits and world maps later on. 
    Im sure i read in some places that you cant get chocobos and the only chocobo is the baby one in sahz`s hair. BUT then i also read that you can get chocobos after chapter 11 so im startiung to think alot of the bad reviews im reading are form people who havent spent enough time on the game.
    AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AndrooD2

I pushed forward on the thumbstick, pushed X  (A if you're on a 360) and watched some cinematics for about 2 and a half hours. That was enough for me. I decided I couldn't play a game for 25 hours in anticipation of it becoming good.
    You should just play it and see if you can get into it. No harm in trying...unless you have to pay for it, of course.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Addfwyn

I'd recommend playing it and drawing your own conclusions.  You'll hear a lot of people say it doesn't get good til the 25 hour mark, but you'll always see people who dig it after the first hour or two, I was in the latter category myself. 

If you play RPGs for exploration's sake, then it's true that it doesn't get good til the 20th hour or so because that is when you get to the big wide-open explore-y area.  If you play RPGs for the combat, the presentation, the storyline, or the characters than you will probably enjoy it much earlier.  In fact, my favourite chapters of the game are well before that big wide open part people talk about.  I find chapter 11 actually one of the least compelling chapters.   

So yes, the game is gorgeous and it has probably one of the best battle systems in an RPG (easily the best for a FF).  The story is okay and the characters are top-notch.  It is linear, whether or not you consider that a bad thing is up to you.  If any of that sounds like your thing, I'll say to give it a shot.  If you're really turned off by linear games (aka JRPGs) then it may not be the right game for you.  If you do give it a shot, go into it with an open mind, don't go into it looking for all the flaws people are pointing out, cause then you will find exactly what you're looking for. 

PS.  Don't use auto-battle after you hit chapter 2, you'll be better and find the battle system a lot more rewarding, plus you'll actually be able to get 5-stars on some of the later optional missions.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cornman89

Just put the finishing touches on a user review, which you can check out if you like. In short, it's a pretty good game. At the same time though, if what you're hearing (hopefully from people who've finished the game; even Brad would caution against taking his word as gospel) is putting you off the game, then maybe it's not for you.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Rockdalf

If you can make it through to Paradigm, you will probably enjoy the game.  It holds your hand obscenely so the first few hours, and the combat doesn't really even get complicated until much later.  Honestly, I'm disappointed with the combat system, and it's definitely not your PS1 combat either.  Rent it and put some hours into it, because it's really hard to say either way.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By Jost1

I think it's amazing. Best RPG this gen along with Mass Effect 2 (though ME2 is better certainly)

honey_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By honey_power

To me, the battle system is the only thing holding this game together. It's one of the most exciting battle systems you'll find in any Final Fantasy game.

In my opinion, it's a soap opera with a battle system.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Meowayne
    @honey_power said:
    "In my opinion, it's a soap opera with a battle system. "
    Not just in your opinion. That's what it is.
    tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tomte
    @Meowayne said:
    " @honey_power said:
    Not just in your opinion. That's what it is. "
    Another and easier way to say this is, It's Final Fantasy...

I would say, play until all members have gathered and they are in a spaceship, then you will have learned everything about the combat system, you can choose which party members to use etc. If i remember correctly its around 10 hours into the game
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne
    @tomte said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " @honey_power said:
    No, people need to get that perception of the other Final Fantasy games out of their head. VIII was about romance and it wasn't nearly as cheesy and soapy as XIII; AND it features actual, diverse gameplay and a string of clever ideas.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Supermarius
    @Meowayne:  i like ff8, but it was hella soap-operaey. You had squalls existential angst, Quistis, one of his teachers, hitting on him. You had the stuff with laguna and the lounge singer, and Rinoa is just weird. Not to mention the shocking revelation basketball court. Ugh.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Supermarius said:
    " @Meowayne:  i like ff8, but it was hella soap-operaey. You had squalls existential angst, Quistis, one of his teachers, hitting on him. You had the stuff with laguna and the lounge singer, and Rinoa is just weird. Not to mention the shocking revelation basketball court. Ugh. "
    I have to agree, I thought 8 was the soapiest soap of them all. Granted I am not sure how this is bad (in regards to XIII), it honestly isn't as cheesy as a lot of actual soap operas.
    dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By dogbox

I would say if you're not interested  in the story aspect then, yes, you will definitely find the first stretch of the game uninteresting. It is very linear and the Crystarium is narrow as well. It's true that the game devotes a lot of time simply to setting up the world and having you learn about the characters, but I didn't necessarily find this to be a bad thing; I'm enjoying the game a lot so far. I've just recently got to Chapter 11, and indeed, the game and the character development system does open up significantly, and many side quests and diversions become available. But like others have been saying, it does take about 20 hours or so to reach Chapter 11. So unless you're invested in the story and characters it's probably not worth it. 

Personally, though, I think it's worth it! Maybe rent it and play for a few hours to see if it's your thing.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JerichoBlyth

Leave it on the store shelf. Let that be a message to Square Enix that their fanbase 'does not want'.

I wouldn't mind playing through an interactive movie for 25 hours before getting into this so-called 'better experience waiting for you at the end of the game' if the story and characters weren't completely awful.

Snow had the most potential and in my eyes, they blew it with him as soon as they turned him into the delussional, loved up hypacontriact that no one believes...fuck off, seen it plenty of times.

Oh and Lightning is your typical sister sexist Ripley.

honey_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By honey_power
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @honey_power: It's true.. that was the first thing that comes to my head when someone says soap opera and FF in the same sentence lol.
    Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Psych0Penguin
    @Cornman89 said:
    " Just put the finishing touches on a user review, which you can check out if you like. In short, it's a pretty good game. At the same time though, if what you're hearing (hopefully from people who've finished the game; even Brad would caution against taking his word as gospel) is putting you off the game, then maybe it's not for you. "
    Read your review mate, pretty interesting stuff and very well written :D 

Saw it for £34.99 today and was tempted to pick it up, but decided against it. Still unsure, but the different insights are enlightening. Might just wait for the price to go down a bit, or may find something about the game that puts it IN/ OUT of favor.  

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure ;)
    MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By MildMolasses
    @Meowayne said:
    " @tomte said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    " @honey_power said:
    No, people need to get that perception of the other Final Fantasy games out of their head. VIII was about romance and it wasn't nearly as cheesy and soapy as XIII; AND it features actual, diverse gameplay and a string of clever ideas. "

Of all the FF games you could have used to argue against the soap opera claims, you picked 8? And then you make claims about  diverse game play and clever ideas? Nothing interesting happens gameplay wise until the mansion section at the end. and that's only because they strip away all your abilities and you have to earn them back. Prior to that it's summon, summon, summon, summon, oh shit that thing has Rinoa so hold up on the summons, ok it's clear, start summoning again

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.