I have to say, from Chapter Six onwards...

#1 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -

This game becomes damn epic in regards to the story. I know that's an overused term, but it so rightfully applies here. Although I agree that the game does take a very long time to get going, when it DOES get going, it feels like the wait was worth it. I haven't been so pulled into the story of a game this gen quite as much as I have with FFXIII.  If they'd have made the opening chapters as good as the later ones, I'm sure people would have a more positive opinion of this game.
#2 Posted by rargy (437 posts) -

Hope you're right.  I'm on chapter 5 and i haven't yawned this much since the sailing in Wind Waker.

#3 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -

Trust me, it does. It starts really kicking into gear around the time you get to Palumpolum, and from there, the action doesn't really stop much.
#4 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Palumpolum did help pick up the game for me in regard to something actually happening besides me running from something story wise. The festival scene in particular in Nautlus if that's how you spell it is where I was finally with the game. I just wish it didn't take me 16 hours to get there.

#5 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Yeah, Nautilus is a nice change of pace from "run away from the Empire while having existential crises." Sazh is a delightful character.

#6 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -

Indeed, I have to say Sazh is my favourite character in the game, haha. He's the one who you can relate to most, I think. 

It's a real shame you have to wait so long, though, because I think many people simply don't want to perservere through the earlier chapters. I can't really blame them, either. The Vile Peaks was a particularly drawn out section of the game...
#7 Posted by sixpin (1287 posts) -
Yep, The Vile Peaks was a rough spot for me as well. I took a break before finishing it. The part with the Bombs as the predominate enemy made me rage quit, lol.
#8 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Illmatic said:
" I just wish it didn't take me 16 hours to get there. "
It took you 16 hours to get there? O.o
#9 Posted by Addfwyn (1921 posts) -

I still maintain Chapter 7 and 8 are the best of the game (not the fabled 'zomg open' Chapter 11) so I'd generally agree with you there.  It's the payoff for spending so long developing characters, you end up really impacted by the story and the way the characters interact.

#10 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -
@Zenaxzd: Well I currently have 18 hours clocked in and am on Chapter 9 on the airship.
#11 Posted by Shinri (534 posts) -
@Illmatic said:
" @Zenaxzd: Well I currently have 18 hours clocked in and am on Chapter 9 on the airship. "

Wow, I had around 22 hours on the clock when I got there, if I recall correctly. Odd.
#12 Posted by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

I'm in chapter 2. GODDAMN THIS GAME IS BORING! I'll keep pushing forward.

#13 Posted by Shinryu (245 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" I'm in chapter 2. GODDAMN THIS GAME IS BORING! I'll keep pushing forward. "

Really? By that stage I was hooked and was loving it. What is it that's boring you about it?

Just interested to know.

#14 Edited by Ham08 (202 posts) -

All I can say is wait till you get to chapter 9!  Wow!  It sure get's going then.  I agree, that it is a shame that it takes so long to get going but it's worth it.  I'm 20 hours in, btw.

#15 Posted by Rockdalf (1275 posts) -

Agreed, this game doesn't do justice to it's name the first few chapters.  It starts up at Palumpolum and if you aren't enjoying it by the end of Nautilus, it's probably not your game.  Just a shame it takes you 15 hours or so to get there.

Also, Sazh is my favorite character by far.

#16 Posted by rargy (437 posts) -

Just started chapter 6 and the change in environment does help.

#17 Posted by Jettblackk (52 posts) -

I was hooked by chapter 2......the story and all its elements are invading my brain...lol

#18 Posted by KuwabaraTheMan (155 posts) -

I was hooked from the start, but I do agree that the game keeps on getting better. Chapter 7 in particular really ramped things up in a big way, both in story as well as in battles.

#19 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

Really? I found that the dull characters and horrible voice-acting detract from any epic feeling.

#20 Posted by SteveV (182 posts) -

Yeah the game was kind of so-so up till this point, and this is where it really gets going...most of the combat stuff is in place, and the combat is so effin good, probably the best its been in the series, feels extremely rewarding and Sazh's story is so friggin good, love that character.

#21 Posted by xyzygy (9949 posts) -

Honestly I was hooked on this game after the first chapter. I never thought that it was boring at all, except maybe the very beginning when you're walking around with Sazh not really knowing who either of the characters are. 

#22 Posted by Kumo (124 posts) -

The beginning was a little boring, but it wasn't that bad. As soon as I was able to use the Crystarium and Paradigm Shifts in battle, the game stopped being boring completely. The only chapter that I was hoping would hurry up and end was Chapter 12. Just thinking about those damn monsters makes me annoyed.

#23 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -
@rargy:

Blasphemy, the sailing in WindWaker was pure epic, it looked beautiful aswell,

Anyways i think I'm at the end of the game and yes it does pick up up, Gran pulse is awesome 

#24 Posted by smellylettuce (119 posts) -

I'm really trying to like it, but the repetition and juvenile dialogue is really taking its toll on me. I'm on the airship now and so far have not been really blown away by anything yet. It feels like square-enix spent the last couple of years making a (so-so) CG movie and added some game elements at the very end. How much longer till the end?!?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.