Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

I miss World Map exploration!

Avatar image for burnin_squirrrl
    burnin_squirrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By burnin_squirrrl

I really miss the exploration associated with the older FF's!  I really want something like this back in the series, finding all those hidden nooks and crannies was great!  Anyone with me on this?

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By dietmango

Yeah, I agree. I like having the challenge of finding things for yourself, instead of the game holding your hand all the way (or most of the way) through. Just kind of ruins the experience of exploration and stuff.  But the linear gameplay isn't all bad, since I loved Final Fantasy X.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Cornman89

I can't say I agree. Sure, finding the airship and flying around the world was pretty cool, but when FFX came along, I hardly noticed it was gone. Just get me where I need to go.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Cornman89 said:
    " I can't say I agree. Sure, finding the airship and flying around the world was pretty cool, but when FFX came along, I hardly noticed it was gone. If the resources necessary to build an acceptable world map is deemed prohibitive, or if it's judged to be trivial to the experience as a whole, then I say don't bother. "
    Indeed, I personally do not miss world maps at all, it was just a longer and more boring way to get from point A to point B. Also in a lot of older RPGs there was a huge issue with no idea where you were supposed to be going. Hell take Star Ocean: First Departure for example, I am currently stuck on this game about 8 hours in because I am supposed to go somewhere they were ultra vague about, if I don't use a walkthrough I will probably spend a good hour or so wandering around aimlessly trying to figure out where the next area is. 

As for finding all the little secret areas Final Fantasy XII brought this back anyway, there are A LOT of secret areas in that game that you would probably never find without a walkthrough. The extra area with that mini boss guy in giza plains is the first thing that comes to mind.
    Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
    InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@burnin_squirrrl: Couldn't agree more, I wont be buying the game because of this. Same deal with FFX, after 14 hours I realized this was the direction the series was taking and lost interest. I was secretly hoping they would bring it back for this one :(

@JJOR64: Dragons Quest became my FF after playing that game. It was more like the FF's I love (SNES era)  than the current FF's.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64
    @InfiniteStateMachine: Agreed.  That's why I like Dragon Quest more then Final Fantasy.  All the games feel like an old 16-bit RPG.  All the new FInal Fantasy's are completely different from their old formula, which could be considered a good thing or a bad thing.
    Krelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Krelle

Having played FF13..yes I agree, definitly! 

I dont really see a reason to do away with the world map, aside from the way they are branding FF since #10. 

Just look at Dragon Quest 8 how well a world map can work even in "current-gen" RPGs.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By K0rN

I agree.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By KaosAngel

Wait for Versus XIII it's confirmed to be on that.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

To me it is like Assassins creed vs. Assassins creed 2.  Assassins creed you had to find everything yourself where AC2 walks you through it.  I like AC2 because of that.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Questionable
    @ReaperOfLiving said:

" To me it is like Assassins creed vs. Assassins creed 2.  Assassins creed you had to find everything yourself where AC2 walks you through it.  I like AC2 because of that. "

In ACII it was left bothersome and artificially lengthening because there simply was nothing worth finding out there. 
    One might argue Shadow of the colossus's world is boring and desolate but it still has tons more "secrets" worth discovering than AC did even without quests or extra items. While highly detailed and developed as AC was it was still seriously lacking in the artistic factor what is supposed to make the exploration fun, simply wanting to see more of the world rather than collecting 200 flags.

FF games always had little hidden areas that did little more than help bring the world alive and making it feel more dynamic by introducing these "hidden" NPC's going about theyr own merry life's and watch them change theyr dialogue as you significantly alter the world through your adventure and then there were the mini games. gradually unlocking the next step in transportation felt like a achievemnt etc.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By KaosAngel

Nomura confirmed Versus XIII will be more like the older games and even has a full airship travel like from FF1-FF9.  It's up in the air for Agito XIII, but it's alreay been confirmed 100% that Versus XIII will have it.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By uniform

There's a lot of things absent from XIII that really lowered my anticipation. Dragon Warrior got me in to JRPGs, and through all the JRPGs on the SNES, I've developed tastes for certain elements we see in those classics. Some of those elements seem to be stripped away as this franchise pushes on. Will XIII be everything I wanted in a Final Fantasy? Probably not. However, I do not doubt it will be an enjoyable game. It's just not Final Fantasy the way I want Final Fantasy to be. To think how many years I've spent playing this genre, it's not surprising things have changed to reflect a new generation of gamers. My generation is history. 

Anyway, crossing my fingers for getting a great game in "Versus", and still looking forward to playing XIII.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.