Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

I'm starting to enjoy FF13

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By foggel

Damn. I never thought I'd say this. But I'm liking Final Fantasy 13. As of now I can't stop playing it, and the story is getting quite intriguing.

If you've played it, but gave up, here's a small spoiler to get you interested again:

One of the party members turns out to have been in a crystal form

It's like... I dunno. Have you seen 2001: A space odyssey? It starts with a bunch of monkeys fighting over some waterhole... and you just wait for whatever to happen. It's kind of boring and gets better and better by the hour (see what I did there). Later you're in space with HAL, and later you travel through the dimensions, ending up in some room, blowing your godamn mind. Ofcourse I'm not saying that it's as good as 2001, as it is my favorite movie of all time. But I have to admit, that the beginning of both was pretty boring.... but got better. I mean: I HATED FF13 to begin with. 2001 got absolutely amazing, cannot be compared, BUT FF13 got pretty good aswell. I have not finished it yet, but it gets better and better:) 

That said, I had played the game for 10 hours before I started to like it. So it takes a lot of patience. But I recommend it :)

PS: I have been planning to write this blog all day, and have had a couple of beers when I decided to finally write it, so I'm kinda intoxicated. I appologize for the possible typos etc. 

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By foggel

Damn. I never thought I'd say this. But I'm liking Final Fantasy 13. As of now I can't stop playing it, and the story is getting quite intriguing.

If you've played it, but gave up, here's a small spoiler to get you interested again:

It's like... I dunno. Have you seen 2001: A space odyssey? It starts with a bunch of monkeys fighting over some waterhole... and you just wait for whatever to happen. It's kind of boring and gets better and better by the hour (see what I did there). Later you're in space with HAL, and later you travel through the dimensions, ending up in some room, blowing your godamn mind. Ofcourse I'm not saying that it's as good as 2001, as it is my favorite movie of all time. But I have to admit, that the beginning of both was pretty boring.... but got better. I mean: I HATED FF13 to begin with. 2001 got absolutely amazing, cannot be compared, BUT FF13 got pretty good aswell. I have not finished it yet, but it gets better and better:) 

That said, I had played the game for 10 hours before I started to like it. So it takes a lot of patience. But I recommend it :)

PS: I have been planning to write this blog all day, and have had a couple of beers when I decided to finally write it, so I'm kinda intoxicated. I appologize for the possible typos etc. 

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Catolf

At least your starting to enjoy it XD

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xyzygy

Wait until you get to the open part then you'll REALLY start to enjoy it. Not only does the locale open up, gameplay does too in a massive way.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By sixghost
    @foggel said:
    " Damn. I never thought I'd say this. But I'm liking Final Fantasy 13. As of now I can't stop playing it, and the story is getting quite intriguing.

It's like... I dunno. Have you seen 2001: A space odyssey? It starts with a bunch of monkeys fighting over some waterhole... and you just wait for whatever to happen. It's kind of boring and gets better and better by the hour (see what I did there). Later you're in space with HAL, and later you travel through the dimensions, ending up in some room, blowing your godamn mind. Ofcourse I'm not saying that it's as good as 2001, as it is my favorite movie of all time. But I have to admit, that the beginning of both was pretty boring.... but got better. I mean: I HATED FF13 to begin with. 2001 got absolutely amazing, cannot be compared, BUT FF13 got pretty good aswell. I have not finished it yet, but it gets better and better:)   That said, I had played the game for 10 hours before I started to like it. So it takes a lot of patience. But I recommend it :)  PS: I have been planning to write this blog all day, and have had a couple of beers when I decided to finally write it, so I'm kinda intoxicated. I appologize for the possible typos etc.  "

There was a nice chunk of about 10 or so hours where I really enjoyed the game. Eventually I was just crushed by the linearity and awful story/characters. It's a shame because I just got to the part where everyone says it becomes great(Pulse), but I'm just too sick of that game to even continue. I was really into the battle system, but even that got boring as the fights never really got any harder, and didn't really force you to do anything but swap between two attacking paradigms, a buff/hex paradigm, and a defensive paradigm. I wish it forced you do change you setup for different kinds of battles, but I really just found myself plowing through every fight using the same exact strategy, getting 5 stars most of the time.
    Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Junpei

I still need to finish the game off. I had originally stopped near the end of chapter 11 and then jumped back in a few months later only to get to the end and continually beaten by the "supposedly easy" final boss (using strategies from guides and what not no less, and put it down. Eventually I'll get back and finish the story but I doubt I'll touch any of the extra stuff you can do after the fact.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By endaround

Its really not that bad.  And its even internally consistent!  

Vanille stars off with an extra attack! 

My problem was never with the charactrers which while some were overly broad Lighting and Sazh were two of the more recognizably human characters Square -Enix has ever done.  It was with the unwieldy level system (no reason to open up all classes to all characters given the exp costs and time of it) and the pointlessly vague (ie sell game guides) weapon and equipment system.  Those complaining about linearity really don't recognize how linear all the games are, a dead end with a chest doesn't make a game non-linear.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Animasta
    @endaround said:
    " Its really not that bad.  And its even internally consistent!   Vanille stars off with an extra attack!  My problem was never with the charactrers which while some were overly broad Lighting and Sazh were two of the more recognizably human characters Square -Enix has ever done.  It was with the unwieldy level system (no reason to open up all classes to all characters given the exp costs and time of it) and the pointlessly vague (ie sell game guides) weapon and equipment system.  Those complaining about linearity really don't recognize how linear all the games are, a dead end with a chest doesn't make a game non-linear. "
    FF12 was pretty non-linear I'd say.
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By endaround
    @Laketown: Yes and no.  It much more non-linear than other games in the series but its not like you get a choice of what to take on.  It is funny that FFXII was this close to being Monster Hunter.
    Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I think I may pick this up at some point in the near future...I made the mistake of trying to play it on the xbox which immediatley turned me off...now that it's like 30 bucks new for PS3 I may finally pick up a copy and see what I think....again

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.