Is FFXIII really an RPG?

• 63 results
#51 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

Yes. RPG is such a broad term.

#52 Posted by Semition (731 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @Vorbis said:
" Mass Effect 2 was just a third person shooter with dialogue that let you pick the levels.  See, I can be an ass too. "
But what happens when Gears of War 3 has that? "
It would be awesome as well as awkward as I paragon interrupt everyone.
#53 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Semition: I don't think there would be any real dialogue choices in the game it would all be paragon interrupts.
#54 Posted by tranquilchaos (573 posts) -

Dicerolls do not an rpg make.  

Unless you are willing to concede that yahtzee is an rpg.

#55 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@tranquilchaos: Last I check we were on a video game website.
#56 Posted by tranquilchaos (573 posts) -
@Zenaxzd: No shit.
#57 Posted by xyzygy (9892 posts) -

I don't understand why this is still in debate.  

Can someone tell me why they think it's NOT an rpg? I really don't get it.

#58 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@tranquilchaos said:
" Dicerolls do not an rpg make.   Unless you are willing to concede that yahtzee is an rpg. "
Board games and gambling games have combat dicerolls and saving throws based on stats? No? You're just oversimplifying shit you don't fully understand? Gotcha.
#59 Posted by tranquilchaos (573 posts) -
@ryanwho: You calling me out, jackass? All games have some form of stat tracking in relation to battle damage and defense. According to your line of reason all gaming is roleplay. Your argument is specious but poorly conceived. 
#60 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
" Look, its this thread again. "
YOU WAS RIGHT. Indeed.
#61 Posted by CharleyTony (923 posts) -

yeah it is an RPG, but I guess that what is throwing yo off is that the Final Fantasy series has always been traditional J-RPG stuff. 
Tha goes for FF1 to 10, after those, when you think about it, FF12 and FF13 share a lot of things. The combat in 13 might seem to play itself but it just shifted the gambit sytem ( which was probably too complex for non hardcore gamers) into a Job system (like most uneven FF numbered games) which has predefined scripts for each job. 

I'm not a huge fan of not being able to choose my party early on in the game but that goes out as a design choice. 

#62 Posted by Ramyun (664 posts) -
@Hunkulese said:
" Can you take down a helicopter with it?  Then no it isn't an RPG. "
I like this. A lot.
#63 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -

would you rather watch a movie, or press the fuck out of X and read a shit load of text?its an RPG 100%. ever herd of evolution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.