Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Is it possible to fit FFXIII into one disk on Xbox 360?

• 71 results
    L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By L4wz

Looking back, games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 were bigger then big and they could be fit onto just one disk, which got me wondering if it is actually possible to fit it on one disk for the Xbox 360 because other massive games were able to do the same thing, unless if Final Fantasy XIII is just that BIG. What are YOUR thoughts on this?
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Well Oblivion and FO3 barely had any cinematics so no FFXIII will not fit in one disc.  I'm thinking it'll go all the way and be in 4 discs.  Character designs in each disc cover- the works.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By danielkempster

What OllyOxenFree said. Final Fantasy XIII will feature a ton of FMV sequences, each of which will take up a lot of disc space.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@L4wz: The fact that there will be a tone of fmv's shows that no it won't.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Willy105

It's possible to fit FFXIII into an N64 cart.

You just take out voice acting and use MIDI music.

It's pretty pathetic games today can't even fit on a 4.7 GB disc.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Pazy

On a purely theoretical level sure it could it fit, below is (low quality) screen shot of an FPS called .kkrieger  for which the file size is 96kb. According to the creator to store this game the way that most games are stored would take between 200mb and 300mb's.

Although games like Oblivion and Fallout 3 dont really exist in there entierty on the disk, the overworld (especially in Obivion) is essentialy just a math of numbers saying how big it is and then the game generates some grass and hills from stock textures. And then you have to consider how there are 2/3 (at most probably) textures for the dungeon's and they are all simple a lego set of things that could be contained as "peice Y" on a gride as opposed to saving the whole thing. Obviously im simplying this a whole lot but games like FFXIII tend to have a lot more unuiqe peices and as such have to store everything on the disk which push's the disks size up. Considering Losy Odyssey and Blue Dragon shipped on mulitple disks (4 and 3 respectivly I beleive) I would have to assume that this style of game requires larger disk space to accomodate all the FMV's (even assuming 2 hours of FMV over an 80 hour a game, most Blu-Ray films have moved to 50gb Dual Layer BD to accomodate higher quality video even for the standard comedy/romcom).

Basically im saying I think through a labour of love, impossible amounts of familiarity with the Xbox 360 hardware and disks that the 360 uses and plenty of time then sure it could fit onto one disk but considering other examples of the genre currently (and that this is the first new FF on next gen consoles) then is not likely to fit onto one disk if they want to have the same experience as the PS3 version (of course they could just make it like they made last-gen games and emulate it to fit it onto one disk but who would buy that at this point? Plus all the extra resources makes no sense).

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By natetodamax

Probably not. As other people said, the cut scenes will force it onto two discs.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Griddler

No, otherwise they would've done it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pause422

Im sure it would be possible, with compressing the shit out of the game and making it clearly look like the inferior port by a mile, hence why they are not doing it.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Cerza

With FFXIII you are looking at something on the epic scale of say Lost Odyssey. Actually it's probably bigger than that. So no I don't think they could fit the entire game on one disc. Well they could, but they would have to compress everything down so much that it would probably look like a PS1 game by the time they were done and I don't think anyone wants that.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cspiffo

It could but all the cut scenes would have to be rendered in-engine and not FMV.  Square is notorious for using a lot of FMV.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By s-a-n-JR

It would need aloooot of compression, which could result in blurry textures, only one language track etc. Don't sweat the multiple disks, people have been doing it for years and never seemed to mind.
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RaikohBlade

No, play it on the PS3, it will be a better experience. 

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Karmum
    @RaikohBlade said:
    " No, play it on the PS3, it will be a better experience.  "
    Just curious, how so? I'm sure it is going to be great on either platform, but how is the PS3 version better? Aside from the fact that it will have less disks. I also plan on getting the PS3 version, by the way.

Is it possible? I'm sure it is, but very unlikely. It would need to be compressed, which isn't a bad thing. Games have been compressed onto one disk before and played well.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15  Edited By grilledcheez

No, FF uses cgi cutscenes like crazy

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HayFourZee

They will Probably do it like forza did by giving you the option to install the disks.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By get2sammyb

In case anyone cares, the cutscenes are going to be 1080p on the blu-ray.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OllyOxenFree

PS3 version will have lossless audio for you audiophiles.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Fallout 3 was 3x smaller than oblivion so....

Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Kbm600

If Mass Effect is coming out in two discs, there's no way FFXIII will come out on one.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @get2sammyb said:
    " In case anyone cares, the cutscenes are going to be 1080p on the blu-ray. "

And the gameplay is rendered in 720p on PS3. I cannot help but wonder if the 360 version will be 1080p on both gameplay and FMV. I think it will certainly come on multiple discs...  

In answer to the OP, no, not likely given the content of the game.
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

FF is too epic for one wimpy Dual-layer

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

How much CGI will Final Fantasy XIII use? I think people are overestimating the amount of CGI that will be used, because nowadays, it is mostly heavy action scenes with massive participants that use CGI movies, because all of the other stuff can be done In-game these days.

Final Fantasy XII did not have THAT many CGI scenes, nor did Lost Odyssey. 

Still, I hope (and  believe) it will come on more than one disc. JRPG disc swapping rules.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Adamantium

Even if it could be compressed to fit, S-E wouldn't allow it because it would tarnish their reputation for pristine visuals. Disc-swapping is nothing new to them though.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By zyn

I think SQUARE ENIX said they're going to TRY and fit FFXIII into 3 discs.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I think they should just go ahead and do 4 discs (maybe even more?).  Disc swapping is not a huge issue as you just have to do it once every...10 hours or so I would say.

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By CSXLoser
    @Meowayne said:
    " How much CGI will Final Fantasy XIII use? I think people are overestimating the amount of CGI that will be used, because nowadays, it is mostly heavy action scenes with massive participants that use CGI movies, because all of the other stuff can be done In-game these days.  Final Fantasy XII did not have THAT many CGI scenes, nor did Lost Odyssey.   Still, I hope (and  believe) it will come on more than one disc. JRPG disc swapping rules. "
    I hate disc swapping. Having to get up off my lazy ass and open the damn disc tray.

but didnt a rumor say that the CGI cutscenes will be in 1080p while in-game actually runs natively in 720p?

and knowing how long some JRPG CGI cutscenes can be, they can take up some disc space -_-

if they fit FXIII in one disc and its a perfect port, no extra bugs or anything, then I'm getting the 360 verison

otherwise PS3 for me
    RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RaikohBlade
    @Karmum said:
    " @RaikohBlade said:
    Just curious, how so? I'm sure it is going to be great on either platform, but how is the PS3 version better? Aside from the fact that it will have less disks. I also plan on getting the PS3 version, by the way.  Is it possible? I'm sure it is, but very unlikely. It would need to be compressed, which isn't a bad thing. Games have been compressed onto one disk before and played well. "
    I believe that it is being developed for the PS3, then is being ported to the Xbox 360. Therefore, there is a good chance that the PS3 version will be superior in some ways. Granted, these differences may be very minor, but they may still be there, like what happened with Bayonetta. Also, less discs means less hassle. Overall, the PS3 version is the one to get. Not that the Xbox 360 version will be bad, just saying that the PS3 version will be the better one. 
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @RaikohBlade said:
    " @Karmum said:
    " @RaikohBlade said:
    Just curious, how so? I'm sure it is going to be great on either platform, but how is the PS3 version better? Aside from the fact that it will have less disks. I also plan on getting the PS3 version, by the way.  Is it possible? I'm sure it is, but very unlikely. It would need to be compressed, which isn't a bad thing. Games have been compressed onto one disk before and played well. "
    I believe that it is being developed for the PS3, then is being ported to the Xbox 360. Therefore, there is a good chance that the PS3 version will be superior in some ways. Granted, these differences may be very minor, but they may still be there, like what happened with Bayonetta. Also, less discs means less hassle. Overall, the PS3 version is the one to get. Not that the Xbox 360 version will be bad, just saying that the PS3 version will be the better one.  "
    It's actually being developed on a PC platform, so that it can easily be ported to any system.

360 games ported to the PS3 usually end up looking bad because of the difficulty of developing for the PS3.  That's not the case with the 360, so I don't see why there'd be any significant issues.  Bayonneta is definitely a bad example, as that game has actually been finished, and ready to be released on the Xbox since August.  Sega decided they wanted it to be multiplatform, and delayed the game so they themselves can handle the port, despite the fact they didn't make the original game.  It was always going to end badly.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Diamond
    @Willy105 said:

It's possible to fit FFXIII into an N64 cart.  You just take out voice acting and use MIDI music.  It's pretty pathetic games today can't even fit on a 4.7 GB disc.

It would take a hell of a lot more than that.  Reducing all the model data, animations, textures would be destroyed...  It's true that a lot of the bloat in games today come from digital sound and music, but a hell of a lot come from model data and textures (visual information) too.  They have some pretty good excuses really.

@WinterSnowblind said:
    It's actually being developed on a PC platform, so that it can easily be ported to any system.
    Games are developed on PCs because that's where the tools mostly are.  It was initially being developed for the PS3 only.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By EpicSteve

How are those of us who haven't even touched the game supposed to know?

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By webby

Haha if it comes on 2 blurays that would be crazy

kariyanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#33  Edited By kariyanine
    @Karmum said:
    " @RaikohBlade said:
    Just curious, how so? I'm sure it is going to be great on either platform, but how is the PS3 version better? Aside from the fact that it will have less disks. I also plan on getting the PS3 version, by the way.  

Simply put the PS3 will not have to compress audio or visuals the way the 360 does, thus presenting a better overall experience.  Of course that speculates that Square will take care to present it properly.  

As for the person who said the 360 will display in both gameplay and cutscenes in 1080p that is most likely true but it won't be in true 1080p, the 360 upscales to 1080p whereas the cutscenes on the PS3 will run at a native 1080p, ultimately presenting a better picture to those who care about such things.  For me, I'll probably get both versions (or at the very least rent the 360 one) so I can see how both compare to each other.
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By clubsandwich

hell no.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ZenaxPure

Well considering Lost Odyssey took up 4 discs and FFXIII looks better and will possibly feature a couple fancy CGI scenes along with all the other high end bells and whistles they always put into a Final Fantasy game I get the feeling that it will probably be quite a few discs on the 360. Four discs at a minimum wouldn't surprise me at all.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

if they removed every bit of CGI...then maybe.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Meowayne

Well considering Lost Odyssey took up 4 discs

Considering Lost Odyssey when it comes to technical aspects is as amateurish as you can get, and Blue Dragon came shipped on three discs, I think it's safe to say that Mistwalker's 360 efforts should not necessarily used to judge this particular situation. ;)

I think what takes up more space than people might think is the audio data; the PS3 version has uncompressed audio. Who knows how much space is saved when you encode that into DTS or DD5.1 for the 360 release?
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Linkyshinks said:

" @get2sammyb said:

" In case anyone cares, the cutscenes are going to be 1080p on the blu-ray. "

And the gameplay is rendered in 720p on PS3. I cannot help but wonder if the 360 version will be 1080p on both gameplay and FMV. I think it will certainly come on multiple discs...     In answer to the OP, no, not likely given the content of the game. "
    You realise there are barely any games rendering in full 1080p during gameplay these days? Wipeout HD and Gran Turismo 5 are the only two that jump to mind, and they cheat.

There's no way in hell the XBOX is doing FFXIII gameplay in 1080p native, and I certainly doubt they'll be doing the FMVs at blu-ray quality.

Not that it really matters all that much at all anyway.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By vidiot
    @Meowayne said:
    "

Considering Lost Odyssey when it comes to technical aspects is as amateurish as you can get, and Blue Dragon came shipped on three discs, I think it's safe to say that Mistwalker's 360 efforts should not necessarily used to judge this particular situation. ;)  I think what takes up more space than people might think is the audio data; the PS3 version has uncompressed audio. Who knows how much space is saved when you encode that into DTS or DD5.1 for the 360 release? "
    Lost Odyssey had...how many vocal tracks too? You had a bunch of 720p video, and a bunch of audio. While audio doesn't take up that much room there's also the game's nostalgic design they were also shooting for four disks.

As for the question: sure.
    The game would be neutered, all of it's cut-scenes would play at a lower resolution: so much so that it would look worse than the actual in-game engine, muddied and at a lower bit-rate. It would be terrible. Voice would have to be compressed even more, and the textures would certainly take a hit. 

So, no: shut-up and disk swap
    I'm usually not as blunt as that, but I can't and still can't comprehend why disk swapping is even an issue. Each time I see someone complain about disk swapping, I get get a flashback of me as a kid playing Riven. The game shipped on five CD's, if my memory serves correct. You had to swap a CD each time you went to another island. 
    There's of course the bloody obvious comparison: Final Fantasy VII-IX had disk swapping. 
    You can argue that this is some technical hurdle from the past we should get over, which I also don't understand because it seems like the age old simple problem of the amount data versus amount of space. Unless the technicalities of how we game changes, this will perpetually always be a problem regarding consoles. For the 360, it's only going to get "worse", whatever the heck that means. Mass Effect 2 is running 2 disks, the last I heard even Rage is going to be on 2 disks. Is this bad? No. Because the only argument is "I gotta get up and swap disks".

If you are annoyed by swapping disks because it "takes you out of the experience", I take it you also complain when you have to change disks while you watch a TV series on DVD.
    If you are physically incapable of swapping disks, get the hell outside, something is wrong with you.
    Finis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Finis

no  
    /thread
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CL60
    @Meowayne said:
    "

Considering Lost Odyssey when it comes to technical aspects is as amateurish as you can get, and Blue Dragon came shipped on three discs, I think it's safe to say that Mistwalker's 360 efforts should not necessarily used to judge this particular situation. ;)  I think what takes up more space than people might think is the audio data; the PS3 version has uncompressed audio. Who knows how much space is saved when you encode that into DTS or DD5.1 for the 360 release? "
    Lost Odyssey was so many discs mainly because of how many different languages were in the game. Plus the cutscenes.

Anyway, 360 version of FF13 is on 3 discs and has compressed audio and video I believe.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By super_machine

Only if you super glue all the discs together.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jimbo

Probably not.  But X-Wing came on 5 floppy disks, it didn't make it any less awesome.  Baldur's Gate was on 5 CDs, BG2 4 CDs.  I'm pretty sure there is a direct correlation between the number of disks and how awesome a game is.

If you're wondering how many copies of X-Wing you can fit on a single blu ray, let me tell you, it's approximately 7000.

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Quacktastic

Oblivion and Fallout 3 have massive texture repetition.
    Cave, Elf ruins, Ruined fort, Oblivion gate.
    Cave, Factory, Subway, Sewer.
    That's why they fit on one disc.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By KaosAngel

I own a Kuro Pioneer with a full 7.1 audio setup.  I had no choice but to get the PS3 version and it was worth it.  MGS4 made a big difference with the audio setup, and Final Fantasy XIII does too.  

It makes a HUGE difference if you have a nice tv and nice audio setup...and I mean huge.  If you got the setup, get the PS3 version.  No questions.

EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EndlessMike

Don't even understand why this is an issue. Is changing a disc once every 10 hours that big of a deal?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I read somewhere, where they looked at the contents of the game on blue ray and the gameplay is 8 gigs of data. That would probally fit on one disc, however the cutscenes, seems to take two additional disc since the game is cutscene heavy.  

Here is the quote 

"The BD containing the game amounts to 38GB, whilst the Xbox 360 version has already been confirmed as being packed onto 3 DVD discs (offering an absolute maximum of 25GB or so).

Add to this the fact that each disc will have to duplicate key game resources and the amount of space available to the Xbox 360 version drops even further…

However, concerns over a crippled Xbox 360 version are misplaced – of the 38GB of data on the disc, only 8GB is game data, the rest being given over to sumptuous CG movies (see above), leading to the promise that the in-game elements will be “mostly” identical, whilst the movies simply enjoy far lower data rates to compensate, an admittedly dubious consolation."    

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Vorbis
    @EndlessMike: Some games handle it badly, imagine having to change disc every time you want to go back to an old city. SO4 had you changing disc every time you switched planet and during endgame, I ended up switching discs every 5-10minutes trying to craft stuff for achievements... I gave up, was definitely not worth it for that game.

Was a bad enough experience that i'll be getting it on PS3 regardless of the differences between versions.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

audio doesn't take up much space? The audio in mgs 4 took near 15 gigs.
     The ps3 version will be superior since its the lead platform? its all ready been touched upon, but 360 to ps3 ports dont work well cause of the difficulty to program for the ps3, ps3 to 360 ports work better because the 360 is just that easier in the case of FF13 the port is receiving premo support with an entire dev team doing it.

bluray does not equal 0 compression there is loads of compression on the ps3 version of this game, the interview they recently had said exactly that the 360 and ps3 use different levels of compression, they'd never be able to fit the game on a single dual layer bluray if they used no compression, and Microsoft has quite a few compression techniques that make it better for quality, So i dont see a problem with the level of compression on the 360 version it will likely look spot on match with the ps3 version. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By xyzygy
    @Vorbis said:

" @EndlessMike: Some games handle it badly, imagine having to change disc every time you want to go back to an old city. SO4 had you changing disc every time you switched planet and during endgame, I ended up switching discs every 5-10minutes trying to craft stuff for achievements... I gave up, was definitely not worth it for that game. Was a bad enough experience that i'll be getting it on PS3 regardless of the differences between versions. "

That had nothing to do with the system, it was the developers bad design. If you look at Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon, you can access everything from the last disc that you could in the first disc, plus more. I agree that that was annoying but it's totally Tri-Ace's fault, not Square or Microsoft's. 

Changing a disc once every 10-20 hours should not be a big deal if they do it correctly and not like SO4. We're talking 10-20 hours here - how is that an inconvenience?! You'll probably take breaks and/or switch the game out anyway, so I don't see what the hell the problem is. I'm thinking some PS3 fanboys are still butthurt about the whole thing. Not calling you one, Vorbis, but I'm just sayin.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.