Is the 360 version of this game coming to Japan?

#1 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -

I went to IGN today and read the review of FFXIII then I noticed this look on the side for the release dates, it says on the 360 version for Japan "TBA 2010" did I miss an announcement? I thought the 360 version wasn't hitting Japan but now I am wondering if I am missing something. Thoughts?
#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Not sure why they said that. It is not coming out on that system in Japan.  

Motomu Toriyama was quoted as saying its not coming out there.   

#3 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

I dont see why it would, next to nobody owns a 360 in JP.

#4 Posted by Zao (127 posts) -

no
#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Kornkaos said:
" Well TBA means... so far no, could it happen... ya probably, will it, i dunno check back at TGS 2010 "
Its not coming out. End of story. lol 
#6 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

I dunno. Maybe the 6 people in Japan who own 360s petitioned really hard to get it on their 360s.

#7 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Kornkaos said:
" Well TBA means... so far no, could it happen... ya probably, will it, i dunno check back at TGS 2010 "
Its not coming out. End of story. lol  "

The GTA IV DLC was "never going to appear outside the 360" and now it's coming to the PS3 and PC. It can happen.
#8 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@Kornkaos said:
" @K0rN: Thats not true, i mean they said it was temporarily exclusive on the 360, I still say it could happen, FF13 is not a Sony exclusive, so anything goes. "

I'm pretty sure Microsoft said it was exclusive and they paid 50 mil. That's beside the point and yeah anything can happen.
#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @Kornkaos said:
The GTA IV DLC was "never going to appear outside the 360" and now it's coming to the PS3 and PC. It can happen. "
The DLC was a temporary exclusive. The game director says himself its not coming out in Japan. The 360 market in Japan is very small. 
#10 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Kornkaos said:
The GTA IV DLC was "never going to appear outside the 360" and now it's coming to the PS3 and PC. It can happen. "
The DLC was a temporary exclusive. The game director says himself its not coming out in Japan. The 360 market in Japan is very small.  "

It wasn't announced to be temporary until it was announced for the PS3 and PC. It isn't exactly unlikely that Microsoft will try to get foothold over there by releasing and exclusive special edition on the console to move a few hundred thousand units.
#11 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Kornkaos said:
The DLC was a temporary exclusive. The game director says himself its not coming out in Japan. The 360 market in Japan is very small.  "

Also it's not like there are no 360 owners in Japan, the console has sold 1.2 million units there.
#12 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@K0rN said:

" @K0rN said:
" @Kornkaos said:
Also it's not like there are no 360 owners in Japan, the console has sold 1.2 million units there. "
Wile Ps3 has sold 4 million. Again no. it is not coming to Japan. It is a confirmed PS3 exclusive over there. 
#13 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Kornkaos said:
Also it's not like there are no 360 owners in Japan, the console has sold 1.2 million units there. "
Wile Ps3 has sold 4 million. Again no. it is not coming to Japan.  "

I noticed how you completely ignored my post above it.
#14 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Kornkaos said:
I noticed how you completely ignored my post above it. "
Meant to quote    Kornkaos
#15 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Kornkaos said:
Meant to quote    Kornkaos "

Still would you say that it is highly unlikely that Microsoft would want to try to gain foothold over there? They have been trying for the past 4 years.
#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Kornkaos said:
Still would you say that it is highly unlikely that Microsoft would want to try to gain foothold over there? They have been trying for the past 4 years. "
O I am sure they are trying. 

But the point of the thread is. It is a PS3 exclusive over there. So it is not coming out for 360 in Japan. 
#17 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Kornkaos said:
Still would you say that it is highly unlikely that Microsoft would want to try to gain foothold over there? They have been trying for the past 4 years. "
O I am sure they are trying.  But the point of the thread is. It is a PS3 exclusive over there. So it is not coming out for 360 in Japan.  "

There are many "exclusives" that end up on other systems later on, like the GTA IV DLC.
#18 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

No FFXIII on 360 for Japan.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -
@K0rN:   It's not coming out in Japan.  There's really no point to it.  The PS3's audience in Japan dwarfs the 360's.  Even if the 360 version were released over there, very few people would actually buy a console just to play it when they could just as easily get the PS3 version.

Microsoft has tried this entire generation to gain a foothold in Japan, and nothing that they've tried has actually worked beyond very small bumps in console sales following major releases.  Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey both were attempts at the same, and neither performed to expectations.  Other games like Star Ocean:  The Last Hope, Tales of Vesperia, and Eternal Sonata were originally 360 exclusives that all received enhanced PS3 versions with more content and features.
#20 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @K0rN:   It's not coming out in Japan.  There's really no point to it.  The PS3's audience in Japan dwarfs the 360's.  Even if the 360 version were released over there, very few people would actually buy a console just to play it when they could just as easily get the PS3 version.  Microsoft has tried this entire generation to gain a foothold in Japan, and nothing that they've tried has actually worked beyond very small bumps in console sales following major releases.  Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey both were attempts at the same, and neither performed to expectations.  Other games like Star Ocean:  The Last Hope, Tales of Vesperia, and Eternal Sonata were originally 360 exclusives that all received enhanced PS3 versions with more content and features. "
They could do that in reverse.
#21 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @K0rN:   It's not coming out in Japan.  There's really no point to it.  The PS3's audience in Japan dwarfs the 360's.  Even if the 360 version were released over there, very few people would actually buy a console just to play it when they could just as easily get the PS3 version.  Microsoft has tried this entire generation to gain a foothold in Japan, and nothing that they've tried has actually worked beyond very small bumps in console sales following major releases.  Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey both were attempts at the same, and neither performed to expectations.  Other games like Star Ocean:  The Last Hope, Tales of Vesperia, and Eternal Sonata were originally 360 exclusives that all received enhanced PS3 versions with more content and features. "
They could do that in reverse. "
Except that they haven't.  You're grasping at straws here.
#22 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
Except that they haven't.  You're grasping at straws here. "

It's not baseless because of IGN "TBA 2010", i'm not saying it will happen, but it is possible.
#23 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
It's not baseless because of IGN "TBA 2010", i'm not saying it will happen, but it is possible. "
You put to much faith in IGN
#24 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
It's not baseless because of IGN "TBA 2010", i'm not saying it will happen, but it is possible. "
You put to much faith in IGN "

No, I just saw it and got curious.
#25 Posted by Addfwyn (1921 posts) -

It just wouldn't be worth the effort for them to release it there, especially because most of the diehard fans in Japan are gonna buy PS3s for it anyway.   

There aren't many 360s, I imagine a fair number of the 360 userbase (at least in Tokyo) is probably internationals living there.  It just doesn't appeal, especially when most stuff 360/PS3 are multiplay between the two.  The games that aren't...just aren't really big Japanese games.

#26 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
No, I just saw it and got curious. "
And yet you keep treating it as though it were gospel that yes, it is coming out in Japan.

It's not.
#27 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
And yet you keep treating it as though it were gospel that yes, it is coming out in Japan.  It's not. "

It didn't say for sure if it was, I just saw it on IGN.
#28 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

Don't believe IGN for release dates.  They still have Goldeneye and Earthbound listed for the Virtual Console as TBA

#29 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

No.

#30 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

i highly doubt it.

#31 Posted by Hailinel (24413 posts) -
@K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
And yet you keep treating it as though it were gospel that yes, it is coming out in Japan.  It's not. "
It didn't say for sure if it was, I just saw it on IGN. "
Yet you won't stop arguing the point despite everyone and their mother telling you that it isn't happening.
#32 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -

A better question is why do you care?

#33 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
"A better question is why do you care? "

I like to argue.
#34 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Hailinel said:
It didn't say for sure if it was, I just saw it on IGN. "
Yet you won't stop arguing the point despite everyone and their mother telling you that it isn't happening. "

People saying that they are undoubtedly right about there opinions and there is ABSOLUTELY no way of it happening come off to me as assholes, I like to think of all possibilities.
#35 Posted by ReaperOfLiving (491 posts) -

Will not happen.  Too much work and money for to little profit.  Way to little. 

#36 Posted by SadPatrol (500 posts) -
@Kornkaos said:
" @K0rN said:
" @Kornkaos said:
well I mean its still got almost a Million console install base, i wouldn't call that very small, and seeing as the game is translated already, it doesn't hurt them too much to manufacture a 360 version... I still wouldn't cross it out but... i mean like hes saying, its unlikely.. FF13 isn't incredible tho... its pretty which is good, not my fav tho. "

those million consoles are probably from people who already have PS3's so the install base is much smaller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.