Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

I've logged 50+ hours in the Xbox 360 version

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By normalpants

It's pretty bad.  Definetly not unplayable, but framerate drops in exploration mode are frequent, especially in Nautilus and Gran Pulse.  Combat is still responsive and smooth, thankfully.  Cutscenes are a mixed bag -- they seem to range from what looks like slightly uprezzed YouTube videos to beautiful HD CG (My TV is running it at 720p so I'm not the person to ask about how it looks in 1080).  All three discs are installed to the hard drive and loading times are pretty short.  My brief experience with the PS3 version at a friend's apartment and from PS3 owners I've spoken to online have made me pine for a system capable of doing FFXIII justice, although with the shitty characters, story, and voice acting, I'm not kicking myself too hard.   

For me at least, the only reason to play FFXIII is the combat, which is brilliant and addictive once you log 20+ hours into the main game (aka tutorial).  If you have a choice, definetly go PS3, but if you're interested in the game for things that aren't the amazing combat, you probably won't like it, unless you are okay at marveling at the cutscenes from a Michael Bay level.     

Edit: I would like to stress, even though I mentioned it in the above post, that I have never had any framerate drops or problems DURING COMBAT.  All issues have occured during exploration mode and during the cutscenes.  I would also like to stand by my "uprezzed YouTube video" statement, as whenever I see vaguely pixelized rainbow sludge pools in a game that is supposed to be pushing graphical boundaries, I may resort to cases of mild hyperbole.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

( I'm not the person to ask about how it looks in 1080)

Bad. There's not a single good-looking cutscene in the 360 version. All looks worse than a good upscaled DVD does.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Burns098356GX

I never once has a slow-down in my gameplay. I do agree that some of the CGI doesn't look that great, I think calling it 'slightly uprezzed YouTube video' is a pretty far stretch, but you can defiantly notice some grain, while other videos seem to be perfect.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4  Edited By Symphony

Can't say I saw frequent drops in framerate on the 360, myself, and I never even installed it to the Hard drive (though I'm not even sure that matters). I do agree with cutscenes being a mixed bag.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy

I'm 80 hours in now and it's fine. I don't care about the cutscenes because lets face it, the cutscenes were probably around 2 hours of those 80 that I logged.

Also, the final cutscene isn't compressed like the others. I just watched it last night and it was the first thing I noticed.  

I didn't see many frequent framerate drops either. It was there on Gran Pulse (only in the Central Expanse) but it goes away if you're in the area for a few minutes. Not a big deal at all.  

There was never, ever any slowdown in the combat though and that is impressive. That's what people should be worried about - not the freaking cutscenes.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By gla55jAw

I haven't had any problems or noticed anything bad.

Zao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zao

They really fucked up on the FMV when there really wasnt a reason to the gameplay is fine though.
    normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By normalpants

It seems the 360 people without framerate drops haven't installed the three discs to the hard drive, but that is simply the impression I'm left with after skimming this thread. I may be uninstalling the discs next time I play to see if there is a difference, but I thought the last game to react that way was Halo 3.  Super depressing if I am forced to listen to my noisy system to keep the best framerate.  If the endgame is as good as I hear it is, I may actually consider buying  PS3 to play it.  Although reading the last sentence sends me into a mild panic-attack, so lets hope I come to my senses. 
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
    @normalpants: I installed them, and like I said a little bit of slowdown in the Central Expanse but after a few minutes walking around it goes away for some weird reason. Also, one area of Nautilus but you're only there for like 30 seconds anyway.
    SilenceUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By SilenceUK

i dton get the issue to be honest. 

Yeah teh cutscenes may not be quite as good as the PS3 version but they still look epic and awesome. The frame rate thing is true but effects the game in no way at all as its only in 2 areas and NEVER happens in combat. 

It really is only the hardcore and serious video nuts that notice the kind of issues you hear about. 

And before you all say it I have both systems and chose to play on the 360 for ease of use ( i prefere the xbox set up and controller) ability to talk to my friends and yes achievements again to compare with friends. 

Unlike a lot of people i am NOT a fan boy and am simply stating what i have seen
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Meowayne
    @SilenceUK said:

" i dton get the issue to be honest.  Yeah teh cutscenes may not be quite as good as the PS3 version but they still look epic and awesome.  "

That depends on the TV you use. I sit fairly close in front of a 37" 1080p TV. Final Fantasy XIII's cutscenes look worse than an upscaled DVD image, and worse than digital TV. They look considerably worse than the actual gameplay. This IS a serious issue for a game that consists to 1/3 of FMV.  It is annoying, and makes you frown everytime you notice that a cutscene is FMV instead of realtime for NO REASON(!). 

This is what makes it even worse: The fact that half of the time, there isn't even any apparent reason for this particular cutscene to be FMV instead of ingame.
    Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scullinator

Im not getting the issue either.  Im not seeing anything wrong with the 360 version.  I do own a PS3 but its not reading discs at the moment so I got the 360 version. I did not install the discs because I heard somewhere that it really didnt make a difference for load times.  I think the load times are quick ,( but I did just finish playing Mass Effect 2 which had very long and multiple load times).

I have over 20 hrs in this game.  I just got to the part in the game where everyone has finally come together and you can pick your battle team. I have a 32 in. HD TV and my 360 is hooked up using the component  cables.  Is my TV not good enough to notice the graphic problems?  If I had never read these forums I wouldn't even know there was a difference.  I do think that some PS3 games look slightly better but i have that hooked up with HDMI. 

SilenceUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SilenceUK
    @Meowayne said:
    "@SilenceUK said:

" i dton get the issue to be honest.  Yeah teh cutscenes may not be quite as good as the PS3 version but they still look epic and awesome.  "

That depends on the TV you use. I sit fairly close in front of a 37" 1080p TV. Final Fantasy XIII's cutscenes look worse than an upscaled DVD image, and worse than digital TV. They look considerably worse than the actual gameplay. This IS a serious issue for a game that consists to 1/3 of FMV.  It is annoying, and makes you frown everytime you notice that a cutscene is FMV instead of realtime for NO REASON(!).   This is what makes it even worse: The fact that half of the time, there isn't even any apparent reason for this particular cutscene to be FMV instead of ingame. "

how close are u sitting :S i sit less than 2 meters from my 37 1080p samsung and would say i am pretty picky about my quality ( have to have the best thats available) and yeah it looks less than HD but never worse than any dvd ive played on my 360. 

And as someone said before hardly any of the game is FMV and as i said and will say again it does NOT effect gameplay at all. I am not trying to defend the version at all yes its fairly signficantly lower qualty version of the game BUT i trade the loss of HD FMV and 2 instances of slight frame drop and again ONLY whilst walking around 2 areas for and this is just my opinion i admit a better platform behind the game to play on. 

Will say agian to any one not reading my first post i own both systems and have no "loyalty" to either i just prefere to play thing on the 360 for the reasons i stated before. 

On a side note the only reason i have a PS3 was for Metal Gear and Final Fantasy so i am glad at least one of them has jumped from the fan boy ship

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meowayne

The fact that you say "hardly any of the game is FMV" and that you don't notice the huge difference makes me wonder what is wrong with your setup, actually.

One of the worst examples (as it is a dark, fast moving scene), but this is the difference I perceive when playing on my setup.
    Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scullinator

I agree that the pic on the left looks bad but my TV and 360 dont look like that.  Its my opinion that its just fine on the 360.  I would have played it on the PS3 if I could but these comparisons are way off. 

Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Talesavo

FPS drops are pretty common in FFXIII during gameplay. Some people don't notice those types of things, but if you're into PC gaming a lot, it's easy to tell when the FPS takes a dive.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy
    @Talesavo said:

" FPS drops are pretty common in FFXIII during gameplay. Some people don't notice those types of things, but if you're into PC gaming a lot, it's easy to tell when the FPS takes a dive. "

If it's not noticeable, why should it matter? 

@Meowayne: Dude stop trying to get people to agree with you, you've posted that and other pictures so many times in other threads. People have shown that they aren't distracted by the video compression and that it's not a game-changing factor.
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lambert

Agreed. Can't wait until all the Final Fantasy fanboys/apologists swarm this thread. The game is garbage and horribly designed. It is overrated as well.

If this was called JRPG #13 people would call this game out for what it is: a horribly designed piece of shit.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Meowayne
    @xyzygy said:
    @Meowayne: Dude stop trying to get people to agree with you, you've posted that and other pictures so many times in other threads.
    Yeah, twice is "so many times".
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Fallen189
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Talesavo said:

" FPS drops are pretty common in FFXIII during gameplay. Some people don't notice those types of things, but if you're into PC gaming a lot, it's easy to tell when the FPS takes a dive. "

@Meowayne: Dude stop trying to get people to agree with you, you've posted that and other pictures so many times in other threads. People have shown that they aren't distracted by the video compression and that it's not a game-changing factor. "
    People who have no real argument stick with one they think works :(
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Talesavo
    @xyzygy said:
    " @Talesavo said:

@Meowayne: Dude stop trying to get people to agree with you, you've posted that and other pictures so many times in other threads. People have shown that they aren't distracted by the video compression and that it's not a game-changing factor. "
    Is your reading comprehension that poor? I said, some people don't notice FPS drops, others do; for me it's pretty damn obvious when my FPS dips.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowayne
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    People who have no real argument stick with one they think works :( "
    Are you flaming for no reason? What would I  have an "argument" for? 
    • I am playing the 360 version at the moment
    • I do not even own a PS3
    • I am enjoying myself and I plan to finish the game
    • I have posted this picture a total number of 2 times.

Just a good opportunity to sound smart, eh? 

For me, the artifacting and compression issues on the 360 version are a major issue and much more game changing than the in-game stuff running at a lower resolution. Other than a bad setup / small TV, I have no explanation for and do not understand how people could not see just how much Square messed up in this department.  There is a reason for many people with HD setups to enjoy the FMV less than was intended, especially considering A) They are fine on the other platform B) the compression issues were NOT NECESSARY.

This is a very good reason to complain & to downscore the game. It is not a HUGE issue and it will not make you dislike the game where you otherwise wouldn't have, but it is still BAD. Unnecessarily bad. Period. 

All fanboyisms or hate aside, both for any platforms or the series or the company, this is a sloppy port due to the unnecessary low resolution of the ingame material and the fact that the cutscenes look worse than an upscaled DVD image (which it DOES. It runs at DVD resolution and has severe artifacting). It is far from game changing and may not even be noticeable on certain setups, but it is present and should be aknowledged as such.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By raiz265

who do you play a "bad" game for 50+ hours?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By veektarius

I don't really know what the point of this thread is.  Everyone's already said it - it makes a big enough difference that you should buy the PS3 version but if you don't have a PS3, don't buy one just to play the game.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Alphiehyr
    @normalpants said:
    "

It's pretty bad.  Definetly not unplayable, but framerate drops in exploration mode are frequent, especially in Nautilus and Gran Pulse.  Combat is still responsive and smooth, thankfully.  Cutscenes are a mixed bag -- they seem to range from what looks like slightly uprezzed YouTube videos to beautiful HD CG (My TV is running it at 720p so I'm not the person to ask about how it looks in 1080).  All three discs are installed to the hard drive and loading times are pretty short.  My brief experience with the PS3 version at a friend's apartment and from PS3 owners I've spoken to online have made me pine for a system capable of doing FFXIII justice, although with the shitty characters, story, and voice acting, I'm not kicking myself too hard.   

For me at least, the only reason to play FFXIII is the combat, which is brilliant and addictive once you log 20+ hours into the main game (aka tutorial).  If you have a choice, definetly go PS3, but if you're interested in the game for things that aren't the amazing combat, you probably won't like it, unless you are okay at marveling at the cutscenes from a Michael Bay level.     

Edit: I would like to stress, even though I mentioned it in the above post, that I have never had any framerate drops or problems DURING COMBAT.  All issues have occured during exploration mode and during the cutscenes.  I would also like to stand by my "uprezzed YouTube video" statement, as whenever I see vaguely pixelized rainbow sludge pools in a game that is supposed to be pushing graphical boundaries, I may resort to cases of mild hyperbole.

"
    Constantly switching the discs is also a bitch too I presume?
    normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By normalpants
    @Alphiehyr said:

Constantly switching the discs is also a bitch too I presume? "

Disc switching it pretty painless actually.  Once you insert the next disc after completing one, you will never need to insert that disc again unless you start a totally new game.  I had originally installed all three discs to the hard drive, but I was able to delete discs off of the drive after I had finished it.  Maybe there's a part in the endgame that will require a disc swap, but so far it's been smooth sailing.  Mass Effect 3 could learn a thing or two :)
    arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By arkasai

I love the combat in FFXIII, it borrows a lot of elements from other games I like.  It doesn't however borrow some of the parts I find most valuable, like the AI and spell priority refinements you can make to your party in the Tales games.  The weapons and accessories are pretty underwhelming, would've liked to see more "chance on hit/chance on heal" type procs to make things more exciting.   

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy
    @Arkasai: There are actually hidden abilities that I had only found out about two days ago in the game where if you mix and match certain accessories and weapons together you get different effects, and a lot of them are actually chance on hit types deals. Did you play the game any past the final boss? That is where the game shines, in my opinion, in terms of it's mechanics and the strategies you need to use.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By keyhunter
    @Meowayne said:
    " @SilenceUK said:

That depends on the TV you use. I sit fairly close in front of a 37" 1080p TV. Final Fantasy XIII's cutscenes look worse than an upscaled DVD image, and worse than digital TV. They look considerably worse than the actual gameplay. This IS a serious issue for a game that consists to 1/3 of FMV.  It is annoying, and makes you frown everytime you notice that a cutscene is FMV instead of realtime for NO REASON(!).   This is what makes it even worse: The fact that half of the time, there isn't even any apparent reason for this particular cutscene to be FMV instead of ingame. "
    I hate it when games do that. Having an FMV of an in engine cutscene is really awful and any developer that pulls that shit oughtta be smacked around some. In engine cutscenes take up like 1% of the space an FMV does.
    FrankTheGank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FrankTheGank

As long as I'm not playing a newly released game in 8-bit I am perfectly ok with graphics nowadays.  Seriously it has just become nit picking at this point.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.