Leak of the PS3 Japanese Box, Reveals Information

#1 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

The back of the Final Fantasy XIII box, of the Japanese PS3 version, reveals some more information about the game.
 
Here are some of the things it says:  
 

  •  No optional or mandatory install
  •  500kb of hard disk space for each game save
  •  High quality lossless LPCM 5.1 audio
  •  CGI/FMV sequences run at 1080p resolution
  • The gameplay sequences run at 720p resolution
 
NOTE: This is an unconfirmed leak, so don't take the details on the image below as hard evidence of anything.   
 
Anyway, regardless, what do you guys think?  It may just answer the question about the game's resolution argument.  I wonder how the 360 version will fare?  

Back of the Japanese Box


#2 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

It's strange how this game is coming out in only a few weeks in Japan. Are there any other pictures of the box art?

#3 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -

No optional or mandatory install?.... uh oh, I hope that doesn't work against it. Blu Rays are really slow at reading.... just look at Demon's Souls - not install. That game is generally very smooth, but then you run into something it can't handle and it's framerate hell. Like dodging into a bunch of barrels, lots of explosions, that kinda stuff. Sometimes just randomly too. I hope they can pull it off.

#4 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Mmmm... *stays tight lipped* 
 
  Japanese Adverts

   
   
   
  
#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (15836 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
"  Blu Rays are really slow at reading... "
Not really...
#6 Posted by DystopiaX (5291 posts) -
@xyzygy: I thought it was more that the PS3s couldn't process the level of data it takes to run the game at it's graphical quality at a stable framerate, not the Blu-Ray format.
#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" @xyzygy said:
"  Blu Rays are really slow at reading... "
Not really... "
A lot of PS3 games do take an incredible amount of time to load without installs.
The perfect example is Tekken 6, which loads in a matter of seconds on the 360, but up to half a minute on the PS3.
 
I don't mind being required to install, or even just having the option if it eliminates this.
#8 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

If the 360 does 1080 on both gameplay and FMV sequences, the outcome will be inevitable, but not in Japan, they really don't care about such things.

#9 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @xyzygy said:
"  Blu Rays are really slow at reading... "
Not really... "
A lot of PS3 games do take an incredible amount of time to load without installs. The perfect example is Tekken 6, which loads in a matter of seconds on the 360, but up to half a minute on the PS3.  I don't mind being required to install, or even just having the option if it eliminates this. "
Yeah, exactly. It's the same reason why MGS4 had to be installed in chapters - so the system could have access to a more specific part of the disc, instead of the whole thing. I was kind of pissed off that Demon's Souls has no install because the load times are really annoying for it.
#10 Edited by KamasamaK (2407 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:

" If the 360 does 1080 on both gameplay and FMV sequences, the outcome will be inevitable, but not in Japan, they really don't care about such things. "

It will due to the internal scaler. But both will probably have the same native resolution.


@xyzygy said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @LiquidPrince said:
" @xyzygy said:
"  Blu Rays are really slow at reading... "
Not really... "
A lot of PS3 games do take an incredible amount of time to load without installs. The perfect example is Tekken 6, which loads in a matter of seconds on the 360, but up to half a minute on the PS3.  I don't mind being required to install, or even just having the option if it eliminates this. "
Yeah, exactly. It's the same reason why MGS4 had to be installed in chapters - so the system could have access to a more specific part of the disc, instead of the whole thing. I was kind of pissed off that Demon's Souls has no install because the load times are really annoying for it. "
It's the drive, not the Blu-ray that is slower to read. The PS3's Blu-ray drive is 2x, which is slower than the Xbox 360's 12x DVD drive. But a 4x Blu-ray drive, for example, can read faster than a 12x DVD drive.
#11 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

Here's the European PAL Box Art, released today, for those who want to check-it-out: 

360 PAL Box Art


PS3 PAL Box Art
#12 Posted by jNerd (2011 posts) -
@vidiot said:
" It's strange how this game is coming out in only a few weeks in Japan. Are there any other pictures of the box art? "
I know.... it feels rly weird.
#13 Posted by Drebin_893 (2895 posts) -

I like how the lady's chest is well covered and then you look at her legs and you realise the Japanese haven't changed.

#14 Posted by Crono11 (1635 posts) -

I'm not a big fan of that box art. To me, it seems like Square Enix is saying hey check out this hot girl, you know you want to play with her. That's why the rating box is so close to her box. I'd like it more if it was just the Final Fantasy 13 logo.

#15 Posted by Brendan (7667 posts) -
@crono11 said:
"I'm not a big fan of that box art. To me, it seems like Square Enix is saying hey check out this hot girl, you know you want to play with her. That's why the rating box is so close to her box. I'd like it more if it was just the Final Fantasy 13 logo. "

Haha were you a fly on the wall during the box art meeting?  That is a very astute observation.
#16 Posted by Kiemoe (1055 posts) -

Spoiler alert. I want this game

#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -
@crono11 said:
" I'm not a big fan of that box art. To me, it seems like Square Enix is saying hey check out this hot girl, you know you want to play with her. That's why the rating box is so close to her box. I'd like it more if it was just the Final Fantasy 13 logo. "
I think it's fine.  Lightning definitely seems to be more of a serious protaganist, and not just being used for the sex appeal.  I mean, she's not even showing any clevage.
But it is the PAL box art anyway, the Final Fantasy games tend to change pretty drastically between regions.  I'd expect the US to show off more of the characters and the Japanese one to have some obscure artwork on it.
#18 Edited by Luke (1609 posts) -
#19 Posted by JJOR64 (18892 posts) -

I wont lie, I think the PAL and US boxart sucks ass.

#20 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

i like how the only difference is the Rating logo doesn't cover her thigh in the US box art.
 
Edit: nevermind, it's just the PS3's box art.

#21 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

Forgive me for being dumb, but is it normal for ps3 games to run gameplay at 720? I'd have figured everything would be 1080 these days on the system.

#22 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

im pretty sure the PS3 version is the one to get. 

#23 Posted by Xeiphyer (5593 posts) -

I like the box art, its like "We don't need to make our boxart cool, this is the main character, she looks awesome, who know how awesome this game is already so just buy it now'

#24 Edited by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

Weird.... 1080p on cutscenes but 720p on gameplay seems like a strange choice. I realize the hardware coldn't push 1080p for the whole game, but for the sake of consistency I would rather have 720p videos. Then again, there's the 360 version which will probably be just that.
 
Also, I'm sick of white Squaresoft boxes. This isn't 1996.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.