Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Listening Brad talk about FF13 again on the podcast made me...

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ZenaxPure

This week Brad (who is like 10 hours in now I guess) mentioned how they roll out battle mechanics slowly (which seemed odd to me because after the first 2 hours basically everything is there except for what you would label as endgame) specifically mentioning how he just got his first summon. Now while technically that is part of the battle mechanics and the first one is shown to you pretty late his comment made me realize I have only used a summon once in the game so far. The combat itself has been fun and engaging enough I never felt like using one, for the time I did most of the animations vs damage done increased battle time significantly enough for me not to use Odin again. 

In a nutshell I guess unlike Brad the entire time I've been playing the game I always thought of summons as more of a story mechanic than a battle mechanic given to you 6 or so hours into the game. What about yourselves?

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Supermarius

well they are pretty useful. Personally though i try to only use them as a last resort. The ace in the hole. 

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Addfwyn

I find them very useful as a 'oh crap' button.  Remember, when the summon leaves your entire party is fully healed/revived/cured of all status effects.  If I've spent a while in a fight (some chapter 11 fights have goal times of 5-6 minutes) and don't want to start all over, it can be a massive life-saver. 

Also, it's the best way to get the Limit Break trophy prior to getting genji gloves.   

I'm partial to Fang's, Vanille's, and Sazh's eidolons generally.  Not too big on Light or Hope's, Snow is alright.  

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Cornman89

They're useful for the megalixir effect, but in terms of damage potential you're better off sticking to the 3-man team.

I prefer Sazh's summon because it knows it's ridiculous. I don't think Snow or Vanille have any idea how goofy they look, but Sazh is in on the joke and rolls with it.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Cornman89: Vanille's makes me a bit uncomfortable during the super attack, when she you know...well...yeah.   For being glorified transformers, most of them don't look TOO ridiculous I think actually.  

Yes, I can appreciate Sazh's, especially because it even sets his freaking afro on fire.  I just don't usually have him as my party leader, in order to summon it.  Fang is my goto usually, sometimes Vanille.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By luce

The fact the only your main can use the summon pretty much keeps me from experimenting with them. 

I do use Odin when i get into an ambush like situation just to thin the herd

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Steve_C

I never used them properly though the whole game. It was only when they force you during the story. I've never felt like I needed to use them so I didn't, especially since it eats into my precious tp that I pretty much used exclusively for scanning.

That said though I did use Vanille's one a couple of times today to exploit and ultimately kill a few adamantoise.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By c_rakestraw

I haven't used them much either. I think I've only used them is three or four times total thus far. They're a good last resort, but I can often get myself out of any bad situations without the help of the eidolons, so they're usefulness isn't very high.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Steve_C: Interesting, I barely ever used Libra except on bosses (because killing an enemy 2-3 times has the same effect).  Do you use many of the other techniques too?  I hardly use any of them except Summon.  
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Turambar
    @Addfwyn:  Renew is incredibly useful, but honestly, that's about it.  Normal enemies give me their entire stat 2-3 kills in, and I can just pop a librascope on a boss.  Quake is all-around useless.  Summons on the other hand are just plain fun to use and awesome to watch as long as you don't mind it eating into your timer.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Brendan

I've never found summons particularly useful in RPG's.  They always take up too many resources (magic or whatever) for what they're worth.  I have not played FF13, however. 
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12  Edited By the8bitNacho

They're excellent for dealing damage outside of the ATB, and they help a lot with boosting the stagger meter on bosses.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Kombat said:
    " They're excellent for dealing damage outside of the ATB, and they help a lot with boosting the stagger meter on bosses. "
    Which auto resets when they leave.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Rockdalf: Indeed, that is one of my big problems with them.
    BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BasketSnake

28 hours into the game I ended up on Gran Pulse. There you'll have to experiment with which enemies you choose to fight because you'll get slaughtered.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @BasketSnake said:
    " 28 hours into the game I ended up on Gran Pulse. There you'll have to experiment with which enemies you choose to fight because you'll get slaughtered. "
    I LOVED Gran Pulse.  Took a long-ass time to get there, but once I did it felt so much more like the game I was hyped for.  
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stang
    @Kombat: I just got to chapter 10 (right after that nasty battle on the air ship), how much longer until I get to Gran Pulse? For what it is worth, it took me about 23 hours to get to this point.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Stang: Gran pulse is chapter 11, however, it mostly just offers a bunch of fun stuff to kill. Don't magically expect the game to become something it's not though. Once you grow bored/do everything open to you at the time you go back to the real story stuff with dungeon crawling, beating dudes up, and cutscenes.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Stang said:
    " @Kombat: I just got to chapter 10 (right after that nasty battle on the air ship), how much longer until I get to Gran Pulse? For what it is worth, it took me about 23 hours to get to this point. "
    About 2-3 hours.  You have a dungeon, a boss fight, and two Eidolon fights between you and Gran Pulse.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

I have only used Odin so far, because I just love haveng Lightning in my party. I'm going to wait until I unlock more roles for characters to switch up my current party of Hope, Lightning and Snow so I can use some other Eidolons. Hope's Eidolon has 37,000 SP... compared to Snow's mere 13,000, that is ridiculous. 

I didn't use them much at the beginning, but now that I'm on  

I use them more and more because the battles are a lot tougher.
    Stephen1141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stephen1141
    @Rockdalf said:
    " @Kombat said:
    " They're excellent for dealing damage outside of the ATB, and they help a lot with boosting the stagger meter on bosses. "
    Which auto resets when they leave. "

only if you gestalt...

I realize thats how you do the most damage, but just as an FYI if you're trying to use it to build up the stagger meter, you can choose not to gestalt and it doesn't reset

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.