Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Maybe we wont be disk swapping on the 360.

• 60 results
    Moe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Moe

I was just thinking about the new xbox update, with the ability to copy games to the hard-drive.
    I was wondering if this will work like pc games with multiple disks, maybe we will only have to have disk 1 in.
    Im not bothered anyway because its gonna be like a 40 hour+ game, im not sooooo lazy that i cant change a disk every 10 hours (they will prob have the same achievements as lost odysey, completed disk 1 etc).
    But yeah i was just thinking about it so i posted it...........YOUR THOUGHTS

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Mourne

Well, I personally won't mind changing discs at all. Nothing new there--been doing it for more than a decade now. It'll be a nice throwback that shouldn't affect the game at all.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon

I bet it will work just like PC, where the first disk or something is the "play" disk that is used for verification. As a 20GB owner, this doesn't really concern me anyway :( I couldn't install a single disk, nevermind multiple ones for single game.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Moe said:
    "I was just thinking about the new xbox update, with the ability to copy games to the hard-drive.
    I was wondering if this will work like pc games with multiple disks, maybe we will only have to have disk 1 in.
    Im not bothered anyway because its gonna be like a 40 hour+ game, im not sooooo lazy that i cant change a disk every 10 hours (they will prob have the same achievements as lost odysey, completed disk 1 etc).
    But yeah i was just thinking about it so i posted it...........YOUR THOUGHTS"
    Ah! Good point. That would be a lot of data on the HDD though. Let's hope you have the 120 GB, because you're not going any higher than that! =P The one thing I'm concerned about with the 360 version, though, is that they'll compress all of the CG cutscenes so much they'll lose some of their splendor.

I'm getting it on PS3, so I could care less either way.
    kenzo287

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By kenzo287

I think that if the do this they'll be selling those 120 GB HDDs like crazy. And I wonder if a pirated game disc would work then? Probably not.

Moe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Moe

@ Mourne. I think disk changing as crazy as it sounds does affect the gameplay for a good reason. You have a sense of accomplishment of finishing that disk, and as FF VII VIII and IX even Lost odysey, Usually at the end of a disk a epic cutscene happens that is a major plot device for the story.

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Bear

It kind of takes me out of the experience if something awesome just happened and now that's followed up by a "Please insert disk 2" screen. Would be nice if they allowed for the option to install it on the hard drive and make it so that only one of the disks is need to recognize that you own the game. other than that, I think the two versions will be very similar.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mourne
    Moe said:
    "@ Mourne. I think disk changing as crazy as it sounds does affect the gameplay for a good reason. You have a sense of accomplishment of finishing that disk, and as FF VII VIII and IX even Lost odysey, Usually at the end of a disk a epic cutscene happens that is a major plot device for the story."
    Heh, you do bring up a great point there. I was talking to my friend about this just a few minutes ago and we came to discover that that is what's missing from most modern RPG's. Back in the olden days, you could know how far people have gotten without spoiling them by just asking what disc they were on, but now, you have to get into spoiler territory by asking what the last event was, or if this occured, or if that occurred, etc.

So, yeah, I'd definitely agree with that. Good thinking.

I do wanna note that the huge FFX was only one PS2 disc, so FFXIII honestly may not exceed two dual-layer DVD-ROM's. FFX was a really big game, and while I do expect FFXIII to far exceed that, I can't see it pushing us all the way to four discs. Four seems pretty standard, but I would be more willing to bet on two minimum and three maximum.

It's anybody's guess at this point, though.
    ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Microsoft better lower the price of the 120GB HDD when the dashboard update comes out. The price of the 120 is ridiculous right now.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    ParanoidFreak said:
    " Microsoft better lower the price of the 120GB HDD when the dashboard update comes out. The price of the 120 is ridiculous right now."
    Agreed.
    Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Bennyishere

They did say that they would focus on compressing the data. Hopefully it'll be compressed enough for one disc, but if it surpasses that I can live by swapping discs. I don't really have the space for so many GB's left in my 20 GB HDD, though I do have like 7 GB.

Leon31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Leon31

Depends, I don't really care about swapping the disks but thats due to my current setup, not really a pain. However, if compressing the files to try and fit everything on one disc takes down the quality of the game I would say don't do it. I would rather have the game look really good when on several disks compared to less quality if put on one disc. Sorry if this last part doesn't make a lot of sense.

Avatar image for stealingstuffandlauren
    stealingstuffandlauren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont care about changing disks....its not as big of a deal as people make it out to be

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By xplodedd

we will have to disk swap, in order to show proof of purchase, otherwise id jjust download the game... stick it in the 360 drive, so yes... but games will load faster.

TLT21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TLT21

I don't know i agree with Moe and Mourne, i think that disk swapping makes it more epic plus it brings a competitive side to RPGs without relieving plot.

Examples

1. This one time when i was playing a FF game, my friend asked me if i got past the part where ___ died (It starts with an A) and i was like dang couldn't you have asked me what disk i was on?  

2. My roommate and i where playing Lost Odyssey at the same time when he was on disk 4 i was on disk 2 and it made me feel like i needed to get going.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolverine

I heard in Lost Odyssey you will still have to change the disc.

DjiEnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DjiEnn

it will prolly be like 4-5 discs due the large amount of cgi scenes.
    That would be like changing disc every 8-10 hours or so? And with each swap i would just delete the previous install and install the current disc to my HDD.

no problemo, alrdy superhappy FF13 is coming to my 360 :)

Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Trickster

Wolverine said:

"

I heard in Lost Odyssey you will still have to change the disc.

"

I heard that people that played the game didnt care and wont care when they have to do it in FFXIII

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Legend

I played both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, disc swapping doesn't bother me at all.

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By exfate

I wouldn't be suprised if XIII was the first game to exceed a single dual-layer blu ray on the PS3. Bear in mind that MGS4 takes up almost the entire disc. There will obviously be a hell of a lot more audio and high def video in XIII than MGS4, and Squenix havn't been shy of spanning multiple discs in the past - so why try to compromise now? Either that or get Sony to allow them to ship on a quad-layer blu ray.

There is no way they're going to manage to fit the game on a single dual layer DVD. It's going to be a minimum of 4 discs, they probably wont want to exceed this though, but 4 is acceptable as Lost Odyssey has shown. The 360 update isn't going to stop you swapping discs, none of the video content, and probably none of the audio content will be saved to the HDD - and thats where the bulk of the disc space will be going. Also, I wouldn't expect the same resolution of CGI cutscenes on the 360 either. Their first priority is going to be to avoid lowering the resolution of textures so the ingame graphical quality isn't affected in a noticeable way- followed by audio which will probably take a hit compression wise, then the video is probably the least important when it comes to saving space so you can count 1080p video resolution out.

Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Trickster

I doubt there will be more audio in FFXIII than in MGS4, if MGS4 is anything like its predecessors then half the game is codec conversations and cutscenes

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Psytek

Changing discs really isn't such a big deal for me, especially with games like final fantasy, where even on a fast playthrough you're likely to have to change the disc maybe once a day, which isn't really any more than usual for me.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By lethalki11ler

I don't care about this whole disc swapping thing. I don't get the big deal :s are people that lazy nowadays?

Guild_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Guild_Master

Disc changing not an issue for me, and totally agree with Mourne

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Zaxex

I have a 120gb hd, probably gonna install soem games to it, depending how much space they take. I personally dont mind disc-swapping but i'd rather not have over 5 discs for one game lol.

Do these RPGs really need so many discs? Oblivion was a big game, loads of dialouge and a large free-roaming land, graphics were pretty good too, only ever needed a single disc.

ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ethanpaige

Doesn't really matter to me. Depends if they decide to take advantage the space on the PS3's blu-ray, which idk.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RVonE

Disc swapping isn't a big deal. It occurs only once every ten to twenty hours of gameplay. I hope the install will just smooth out all the texture pop-ins and stuff like that.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By roofy

i thought this was the main reason that they added this feature. i guess i was the only one who thought this way.
    it only makes sense that devs are gonna want to fill up more of the disk and dont want people disk swapping. this install feature eliminates that need

groudyogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By groudyogre

The game is going to be so epic i dont even care.

solidskorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By solidskorpion

i thought it was confirmed that the game will fit in a DVD. i read it somewhere, or was it BS?

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By duxup

People make disk swapping too big a deal.  I didn't mind it on the PS2 for FFVIII.  You have to do it what?  All of once or twice?

It is a non issue.

exfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By exfate
    solidskorpion said:
    "i thought it was confirmed that the game will fit in a DVD. i read it somewhere, or was it BS?
    "
    Nothing regarding the number if discs has been confirmed for either version. All that has been stated is that Squenix will be doing everything they can in terms of compression.
    RoninJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By RoninJack

First of all, I don't mind disc swapping at all... second I don't think that square would do such thing as compressing the data to the point that quality will be considerably lower than the PS3 version, they know what they're doing. If they use compression I am sure that it will be some lossless algorithm.

creamstatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By creamstatic

yea, I'm gonna have Lost Odyssey soon. On it's way actually. And I dont care about changing discs. All the epics RPGs I've enjoyed the most where multi-disc. no problem with me

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Disc swapping? Perhaps not. Playing the game with compressed video, sound, and textures? Hell yes on the 360. It is rather unlikely they will have a 6 disc DVD-9 set instead of the standard 4 disc.

Soulless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Soulless

It'll be nice but:

A. I don't care about swapping disks.
    B. I only have a 20gb HDD

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

ParanoidFreak said:
    " The price of the 120 is ridiculous right now.
    "
    Indeed it is.
    Marterfarker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Marterfarker
    Legend said:
    "I played both Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, disc swapping doesn't bother me at all.
    "

Me, too.
    Blazin_Moe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Blazin_Moe

ive played lost odysey but not blue dragon, would you recomend it.

Jason_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jason_Miami

The disc has to be in the drive to play it from the HDD for DRM purposes so even if you install the multiple discs you'd still have to swap discs. That is unless they decide to put in some universal disc or something, idk.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vlademir

I wish the Pro started with a bigger harddrive. This is a really good concept but 13Gb isn't much to work with.

Marterfarker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Marterfarker
    Blazin_Moe said:
    "ive played lost odysey but not blue dragon, would you recomend it.

"

I enjoyed it but it was my first foray into the JRPG genre. The closest thing to it I had played before was KOTOR.
    Some complained that it was too simple, but it was just right for me to learn how this whole turn-based combat thing worked.

There were a few things I preferred about the combat in BD as opposed to LO.

You were allowed to select each character's move as their turn came up in combat (much better than LO's system).
    You had better control of the combat order of your characters than in LO (far less frustrating than finding out the move you were forced to make that wouldn't happen for 6+ turns was now pointless).
    The in-combat interface was cleaner and clearer than LO.
    Also, the enemies were visible in the field so you could seek them out or avoid them if needed.

The graphics, though very anime-kiddie-cute, did have a nice solidity to them (they did way over use the depth of field gimmick).

I liked both quite a bit but couldn't point to one and say, "hands down, that's the better game." They both have more plusses than minuses. BD would be better for newer players, while LO would require a little more understanding of the gameplay style. 

Oh, and while we're talking about 360 JRPG's, I really liked the combat system in Eternal Sonata.

Dachef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dachef

Changing discs isn't a big deal for me. I just hope they don't dumb the game down so that it'll fit on one or two discs. If they have to put it on four discs like Lost Odyssey, then that's completely fine with me.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By epic_pets

disc swapping is no biggie

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Tarsier said:
    "Listen, if Mass Effect doesn't need multiple discs, neither does FF13"
    Final Fantasy games are generally 40 - 60 hour affairs with tons of pre-rendered cutscenes. Mass Effect was pretty short and all of the scenes were rendered in-engine.

Who knows? Maybe all of the cutscenes will be rendered in real-time this time around, but it doesn't look like it based off of trailers.
    Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Flame_Blade88

I don't see what it's such a big deal for people to get up and change discs. I've been doing it since the PS1 days. I don't see what's the problem. Oh wait that's right, you got to get up...

_blank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By _blank

ya there isnt a reason to worry about disk switching. Only thing i personally i hate is when you scratch one of the disk to the point it cant read, then it just becomes trouble some.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Feanor

It seriously takes about .5 seconds to swap a disk, and you have to do it a total of 4 times.  I don't see what the problem with it is.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By hazelnutman

I personally like switching disks.

Is it just me, or does anyone get a rush when switching disks in MGS (PS)?

I just think "AWESOME! ACCOMPLISHMENT! WOOT!"

Disk switching or not, this game is gonna ROCK...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.