Maybe we wont be disk swapping on the 360.

• 61 results
#51 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

i agree, disc swapping is slightly fun, feels like your putting in a sequel or something..... jk

#52 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Mourne said:
"Well, I personally won't mind changing discs at all. Nothing new there--been doing it for more than a decade now. It'll be a nice throwback that shouldn't affect the game at all.
"
I agree. I do it with Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, I don't mind it at all.
#53 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

I don't mind disk swapping really.  I actually sort of like it to be honest.  Getting to a new disk is always exciting.

#54 Posted by Captain_Insano (1554 posts) -

If its like the disc changes in other FF games then I won't really care. The disc change comes after playing for so long that it probably is a good prompt for me to get off my arse and at least move a little bit. The whole people not wanting to change discs thing is something I find ridiculously lazy. I'm not the most active person in the world, but the day I can't be bothered to go and change a disc is the day that my healt has reached a problem of catastrophic proportions

#55 Posted by LiquidPrince (16106 posts) -
Moe said:
"I was just thinking about the new xbox update, with the ability to copy games to the hard-drive.
I was wondering if this will work like pc games with multiple disks, maybe we will only have to have disk 1 in.
Im not bothered anyway because its gonna be like a 40 hour+ game, im not sooooo lazy that i cant change a disk every 10 hours (they will prob have the same achievements as lost odysey, completed disk 1 etc).
But yeah i was just thinking about it so i posted it...........YOUR THOUGHTS
"
Well it'll still be multiple discs because they have to consider people who don't have HDD's.
#56 Posted by HeLives (63 posts) -

I don't care either.  I wouldn't mind burning 3 extra calories to walk over the 360 and change discs.  Confirmed***FFXIII on the 360 promotes health and wellnes*****  

#57 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -

People seem to forget that Lost Odyssey had a ridiculous amount a full voice tracks to choose from. Want to play the game voiced in Italian? You can do that. I believe the multiple vocal tracks were one of the reasons Lost Odyssey was four disks, also a lack of compression with many of it's files. The game wanted to be on four disks, anything to evoke the feeling of playing a Playstation era JRPG. At least that's what I deducted.

With proper compression Final Fantasy XIII could fit on either one or two disks. For those of you who want to learn more about compression and Microsoft's position of actually charging developers for not fitting they're games on single DVD's you should defiantly watch the recent video interview with John Carmack of ID software fame. It's on gamevideos.com (other version on GameTrailers.com), and he clearly goes into the trials and tribulations of getting this stuff (In this case RAGE) on the 360. Regarding the extra charge, apparently Microsoft doesn't want to look inferior in comparison to BluRay, that's why they charge developers for going over the single disk as incentive.

I could clearly see a future in which a 360 game would be on two DVD's, one of them would be installed to the HD, the other would be used to play. An even crazier idea would be the ability to download content via xbox live, but I don't like this concept. I want a physical copy of what I bought.

#58 Posted by eightbit (123 posts) -

Wow, disc swapping in next gen already?  That seems extreme especially with blue ray on PS3.

#59 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

The whole install thing:  You still need the disc to play the game, each disc too.  Why?  Publishers/Developers would be pissed if you didn't need every disc to play the game.  If FFXIII on 360 is on one disc, it may not be worth getting, because that much compression could make it look and sound abysmal.  You're looking at minimum 2 discs.  More than likely 3.

#60 Posted by pandemic (111 posts) -

This is what I'm hoping:

The upcoming disc install feature is going to be critical to how enjoyable this game will actually be.  Let's say you have enough space on your hd to install three of the discs.  This would be great, because in theory you could just play through several discs worth of content without having to get up to change out the disc.

However, currently microsoft is saying that you have to have the disc in the tray anyway so you can prove you own it.  This is fine for single disc games, but I would like suggest that they make some sort of exception for ff13.  Perhaps the developers could opt to just require disc one as the verify disc, and you could load the rest of them onto the hard disc.  That way, you wouldn't have to swap out the discs--just use disc one.

I know this is a flawed suggestion but they really do have a great opportunity here to improve the experience if they just take the time to work on it.

#61 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
Trickster said:
"I doubt there will be more audio in FFXIII than in MGS4, if MGS4 is anything like its predecessors then half the game is codec conversations and cutscenes"
well yea, but FF13 will probably be just over 100 hours (most ffs were for me). 
If they have a 10 minute cutscene every 5 hours of gameplay, it could be just as long.  It also matters if there's full voice acting for side characters.  If so, FF13 will have much more voice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.