Much farther in

Posted by JudahJones (48 posts) -

So have racked up 25+ hours in FFXIII. I'm at chapter 9. Yup still running through coridors. but fortunately so many other abiliites and nuances of the game have showed too so the corridor crawl isnt too bad. i really turned the curve once a buddy of mine (as well as a FAQ) broke down the leveling system. Now my characters actually kick ass as opposed to just surviving each battle. though i got the hang of the staggering and juggling of pradigms down pretty pat (especially since one of my favrite things to do in dragon Age and FFXII was to play around in the gambits/tactics system endlessly. Frankly, its actually the battle system that keeps me coming back. I finally think I know whats going on in the story, but am not a big fan of how the continously break up the continuity . Still, it gets you to understand each character and their reasons. Though it seems weird how some characters go from wanting  to murder another in their sleep, to being totally cool (and vice versa). 
Funnily enough Sazh, despite seeming like the expected black buffoon character "Damn! thats wack!" "i'm getting to old for this" "oh no you didnt!" etc. Actually seems to be the most human and relatable character. His motivations and reactions are actually plausible to understand (rather than the usual JRPG over emoting) dealing with son. Not quite as badass as Barrett, but he'll do fine.  Looking very forward to getting to the famous Chapter 11 when everything opens up and I can go on the various hunts to test out my suped up weapons. one interesting note that i wasnt aware of, but there is very little NPC dialogue in the game. And you know what, i actually dont mind that. i think back to lost odyssey where I was forever running around the massive world looking for a tiny no name town in which the innkeeper would have to be spoken to to initiate a fetch quest of some trinket half the world over. I dont mind the streamlining at all in FFXIII, but it its the pacing of it thats the biggest culprit. While in previous traditional JRPGs you needed to have patience to wade through all the fluff of multiple towns and NPC conversations, FFXIII gets rid of all that, but that same amount of patience is needed to make it through the story, culminating in this famous chapter 11 that i have yet to experience. think it will be worth it though.

#1 Posted by JudahJones (48 posts) -

So have racked up 25+ hours in FFXIII. I'm at chapter 9. Yup still running through coridors. but fortunately so many other abiliites and nuances of the game have showed too so the corridor crawl isnt too bad. i really turned the curve once a buddy of mine (as well as a FAQ) broke down the leveling system. Now my characters actually kick ass as opposed to just surviving each battle. though i got the hang of the staggering and juggling of pradigms down pretty pat (especially since one of my favrite things to do in dragon Age and FFXII was to play around in the gambits/tactics system endlessly. Frankly, its actually the battle system that keeps me coming back. I finally think I know whats going on in the story, but am not a big fan of how the continously break up the continuity . Still, it gets you to understand each character and their reasons. Though it seems weird how some characters go from wanting  to murder another in their sleep, to being totally cool (and vice versa). 
Funnily enough Sazh, despite seeming like the expected black buffoon character "Damn! thats wack!" "i'm getting to old for this" "oh no you didnt!" etc. Actually seems to be the most human and relatable character. His motivations and reactions are actually plausible to understand (rather than the usual JRPG over emoting) dealing with son. Not quite as badass as Barrett, but he'll do fine.  Looking very forward to getting to the famous Chapter 11 when everything opens up and I can go on the various hunts to test out my suped up weapons. one interesting note that i wasnt aware of, but there is very little NPC dialogue in the game. And you know what, i actually dont mind that. i think back to lost odyssey where I was forever running around the massive world looking for a tiny no name town in which the innkeeper would have to be spoken to to initiate a fetch quest of some trinket half the world over. I dont mind the streamlining at all in FFXIII, but it its the pacing of it thats the biggest culprit. While in previous traditional JRPGs you needed to have patience to wade through all the fluff of multiple towns and NPC conversations, FFXIII gets rid of all that, but that same amount of patience is needed to make it through the story, culminating in this famous chapter 11 that i have yet to experience. think it will be worth it though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.