Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Observations on Localization - From somebody that has played both

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Addfwyn

So, after a few hours with the US release of FFXIII (and significantly more time with the import) thought I'd do a bit of a writeup for the differences in localization, for people interested in that aspect of the industry or just plain curious how the US release shaped up to the Japanese release.  Obviously, this is mostly gonna be focused on voicework and the translations.   If you're apathetic or have no interest in ever checking out the Japanese version, you can probably skip this. 

Technical Considerations 
    None, everything on the US PS3 release runs just as smoothly as the Japanese PS3 release.  I can't speak for the 360 version, but if people really care I can borrow a friend's to test that too.  I'm sure somebody else will have plenty to say on this though.

Music
    No surprise here that the music is about the same, worth noting that there is a major song difference (They use Lenoa Lewis's "My Hands" instead of "Kimi ga Iru Kara"  by Sugawara Sayuri).  Personally, I immensely prefer Kimi ga Iru Kara, since one was prepared for the game and the other wasn't.  It just feels a lot more relevant to me overall.  I wish they had used the precedent they set in FFX of just including the original Japanese track.   

Translation 
    Very solid, I'd expect nothing less from Square.  Since this isn't a game that is based heavily on Japanese culture, they didn't really have to change anything (like in Shin Megami Tensei games) so the translation is basically direct.  I think some of Vanille's best mannerisms are lost in the translation, but there's no real way to write her dialogue appropriately in a language besides Japanese. 

Voice Acting 
     Aa, here is the rub, and where the two versions are gonna differ a lot.  I was really hoping that we'd get a Japanese language track option with the extra 12 GB of space they had leftover on the disc, but no such luck.  The minor characters are all about what you'd expect, and they are minor enough that the quality doesn't really matter.  You may hear some familiar voices in the English version though, some familiar VAs such as Tidus's will make returns.  

Lightning - I think she does well, the character doesn't have a lot of heavy speaking roles early in the game, but the English voice actor seems to play the role about as you'd expect.  I'd rate the two versions about the same here. 
    Sazh - I think the English voice actor does an AMAZING job with Sazh, and I actually find myself liking him a lot more than the Japanese Sazh.  Clear win for the English localization here.   
    Snow - Also good, I'd say he ranks about the same as Lightning.  The voice actor takes a bit of a different approach to him, but does a good job still.  I find myself liking him about the same as I did in the Japanese voice. 
    Hope - The Japanese Hope sounded like a guy in his 30s trying to sound twelve.  The English hope sounds like a 12 year old trying to sound a bit older.  Both of them are immensely annoying, and I can't stand either one.  I guess the English one is a bit better and fits the character more, but the character is still incredibly annoying. 
    Vanille - Unfortunately, this is a character that just can't work in any language but Japanese or maybe Mandarin.  'Cute Japanese girl speak' just doesn't work in English, and it is always painful to see people try to do it.  Double that with an Australian voice actress who can't tell if she wants to embrace her Australian accent or hide it, and it comes off as probably the worst voice job in the localization.  Sometimes I dug it, and sometimes it just sounded painful.  I think she should have just embraced the Australian accent full force (aussie accents are great), and not tried so hard to be Japanese.  One of my favourite characters from the original Japanese, and she just comes across as really awkward in English. 

Overall Opinion: A- 
    Great localization, in some areas it even surpassed the original (Sazh and arguably Hope).  A few disappointments here and there (change of Japanese theme music and Vanille's voice actor) but an overall shining job for localization, and if there were people on the fence about which version to play, the US version is totally okay.  Though if you were holding out before, you probably already imported the Japanese release.   

I can't get rid of the random underline in the Music section, sorry.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Aus_azn

In terms of Vanille: 
    "Moe" never fits in any language sans Japanese. Even in Haruhi, whoever did the official dub couldn't capture Mikuru. 

However, what annoys me is the report of a half-done accent. I would just have preferred that she kept it like Fang did in the trailer [same in-game/real country...?], but beggars can't be choosers. 

In other terms: 
    Sounds like a typical English dub...only except this time slandering the music and not the voices.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Addfwyn

Well, done properly I don't mind the music change.  FFX-2 it made sense, since 1000 Words was very relevant to the story, and they actually made an English version specifically for the game.  Same for SImple and Clean vs Hikari in KH (Especially since it was the same artist). 

It's odd in XIII, because they just take a song that already existed and put it in place of a song that was more appropriate for the circumstances.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

Shame about Vanille. I got a glimpse of that... character in the gametrailers review, and what I saw there was horrifying. 

If there is a character whose voice and mannerisms are a defining characteristic that cannot be translated, either A) don't try or B) replace it with something that works and is approriatly "distinguishing" in the target language. 

A bit of trivia: The German translator of Final Fantasy IX actually did this on a major scale. As far as I understood, there are lots and lots of different speaking patterns and mannerisms in the japanese original text - in the localized German version, every character is very carefully realized with a spot-on accent (such as bavarian, saxony) or unique way of speaking. The translation was very positively received and praised. The translator claims to have played through the japanese version twice before even starting the translation.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Addfwyn said:

" Well, done properly I don't mind the music change.  FFX-2 it made sense, since 1000 Words was very relevant to the story, and they actually made an English version specifically for the game.  Same for SImple and Clean vs Hikari in KH (Especially since it was the same artist).  It's odd in XIII, because they just take a song that already existed and put it in place of a song that was more appropriate for the circumstances. "

I entirely agree with this. 

Haha and I'm a fan of both 1000 no Kotoba and Hikari's artists (Koda Kumi and Utada Hikaru). At least Utada did Simple and Clean too (since she's 100% American-accented fluent) too. 

EDIT: Forgot to include my thoughts on "My Hands". THE SONG SUCKS IMO, and does not really hit the right resonance with the game and story. Kimi ga Iru Kara had more of the right tones with the story based on the trailers. I just hate Western female pop/R&B singers. Can't take them. Then and again, I grew up on Japanese music, so I'm probably biased.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Aus_azn:  
    Yeah, I'm a big fan of Hikki as well, saw her in concert when she went to NYC, was fantastic. 

I agree about My Hands.  I like Western and Japanese music both, so if they had picked a song with the right tones (or made a translated version of Kimi ga Iru Kara) I wouldn't have minded at all.  I thought the english version of 1000 Words was fine for instance.  Unfortunately, it feels like they just went and found some middle-prominency singer and took one of her songs to put in there.  It just seems shoe-horned in there, unlike the past FF themes that have been very thematically appropriate (Suteki da Ne, Eyes on Me, Melodies of Life).  Even the English translation of Melodies of Life worked just fine.  
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Addfwyn said: 

@Aus_azn:  Yeah, I'm a big fan of Hikki as well, saw her in concert when she went to NYC, was fantastic.  

It's unfortunate that the last Japanese song I liked from her was This is Love (even though I loved all of her previous songs up until ULTRA BLUE). The only one more recent is her English single, Come Back to Me.

Melodies of Life was terrific. And I have never seen what's so great about people like Leona Lewis, Lady Gaga, Avril Lavigne, Taylor Swift or any of these people. The only Western female soloist I've even come CLOSE to liking was Michelle Branch, for "Everywhere", and even that's the only song I like from her.    
    Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Magresda

Good post, thanks. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to pick up the english version. I loved the import copy but I don't see myself paying full price just to fill in some of the plot details I missed playing in Japanese. 

I completely agree with you about the music. It's a shame really, Kimi Ga Iru Kara is such a great song and fits the game perfectly. It makes little sense to dump it in favor of a western song chosen seemingly at random.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Addfwyn

I'd say it's not necessary to play the US release if you have played the Japanese version and understood it pretty well.  There were parts in the datalogue I didn't quite follow in Japanese (Curse you kanji), but so far they don't seem to be hugely important either.  That said, I really do like the American Sazh voce actor (Reno Wilson apparently, hasn't done a whole lot of VA but should probably do more of it).  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.