Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

On the fence about a purchase, little help?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

Hey guys,

I've been recently reading a lot about the game, reviews and such, and trying to watch trailers and so on.   I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should buy this game and was looking if you guys could offer some help.

I enjoy the occasional RPG here and there.  I enjoyed FF7, FFX, Legend of Dragoon, Suikoden, and Dragon Age.  I bought FFXII, but only played through a few hours of it before losing interest.  I've always been semi-interested in the Final Fantasy series, however, I'm a bit worried that the battle system will be too complex for me to follow.  I wasn't a huge fan of the sphere grid in FFX, but I got used to it over time.   Anyway, is the game "newb" friendly, in a sense, that it eases you into the battle system and explains how to play.

Thanks for any tips, advice you can offer!  

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By slantedwindows

if you get bored easily, don't do it. i quit after about 15 minutes. so did my roommate, though he got through about 45 minutes. 

joystiq said the game doesn't even get really good until 15 hours in. FIFTEEN HOURS.
    SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SquirrelGOD

It'll be cheaper sooner or later.  If you're on the fence, a $20-$40 price tag will probably make the decision easier.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ricetopher

The leveling system is a much more streamlined sphere grid, in fact its only a few steps away from being a traditional leveling system.

As for the battle system, they ease you in fairly slowly, you don't get incredibly involved until the 2-3 hour mark when the "job" and leveling systems are brought in. It's simple enough to grasp if you go through the tutorials, even though gameplay footage may make it look overwhelming, though you can decrease the ATB speed in the options if need be.

Maybe give it a rent first and try to make some decent progress, or as suggested wait for a price drop. Hell, if you trade in games I think gamestop is selling it for $20 if you trade-in two games from a sustantial list

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By Lelcar

I'd say buy it. The battle system is amazing, paradigms are awesome. Plenty of cutomization. If you liked FFX, you'll like this one. It's pretty much X and XII mixed together in terms of gameplay and style. I'm about half-way through it, and i'm really enjoying myself.
    thefreshmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thefreshmaker

If your primary concern is whether or not you will be able to grasp the battle system, then worry not.  They hold your hand and ease you into it far more than they actually should.  As complex as the system can get later on, they definitely take their sweet time making sure you understand EVERYTHING about the battle system before they add another layer to it. 

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz

I watched a friend play it and it was really boring the hour i watched. 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Skald

If you like Japanese RPG conventions, you should buy it. If not, get Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening instead.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By captain_clayman

just buy a fence

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
    @extremeradical said:

" If you like Japanese RPG conventions, you should buy it. If not, get Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening instead. "

I dunno, I say pick up Mass Effect 2 instead...that at least has a solid plot with non-predictable twists and a very nice cast of people.  Plus, it has Seth Green so it's an instant win.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Fallen189
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @extremeradical said:

" If you like Japanese RPG conventions, you should buy it. If not, get Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening instead. "

I dunno, I say pick up Mass Effect 2 instead...that at least has a solid plot with non-predictable twists and a very nice cast of people.  Plus, it has Seth Green so it's an instant win. "
    "Non-predictable plot"

No Caption Provided
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Fallen189: Oh come on!  I never expected Ashley to leave me in ME2, I figure she'd be glad I come back to life.  The whole quest with finding out about the fishes, etc.  There were many times I was shocked playing Mass Effect 2! 
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Skald
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @extremeradical said:

I dunno, I say pick up Mass Effect 2 instead...that at least has a solid plot with non-predictable twists and a very nice cast of people.  Plus, it has Seth Green so it's an instant win. "
    Mass Effect 2 is indeed fantastic, but I'm a sucker for a classic Computer RPG.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
    @extremeradical: I just noticed I grew up playing nothing but Square games until late PS2 era for RPGs, but I played a lot of D2 and NWN...I dunno what's going on with me anymore.  The only Japanese game I've really enjoyed this generation has been MGS4...I look at my cabnit and just noitced 95% of my games are all NA/EU developed.  I could never picture this happening 4 years ago.  O_O
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skald
    @KaosAngel: I know what you mean. My first real foray into RPGs was Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and later, Baldur's Gate. Although I loved the Japanese-developed console games of the age, something about Baldur's Gate and it's kin really clicked with me. Maybe it was the setting, or the mechanics, or maybe it was my disdain for the Final Fantasy games that followed 6, but I have never been able to look at JRPGs the same way again. Even Final Fantasy VII and X, and even XII, games that most buffs seem to put on pedestals, can't interest me in the same ways FF6 had done so many years earlier. 

However, despite all this nonsense, I still don't begrudge people for playing JRPGs, even if I don't really understand them.
    Metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Metalisticpain
    @slantedwindows: 

Id say more like 6-8 hours. I am starting to have to change paradigms in battles quite frequently and the last boss battle i had i barely scrapped through. Battles are  becoming quite intense
    Burntlettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Burntlettuce

Since you said you like FFX  I suggest you give it a try. These games are basically similar in the fact that you basically walk in a straight line and fight monsters as you progress. FFXIII has better characters and a more engaging plot but not a lot else(And yes I do enjoy FFXIII). 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By penguindust
    @extremeradical said:

Recently, I decided to go with the Dragon Age Origins expansion this month rather than FF XIII and I like Japanese RPG conventions.  It's the time-sink in before the "fun" that scared me off for the meantime.  I plan to rent it from Gamefly one day and maybe pick it up used down the road.  On the other hand, I know what I am getting already with DA:O and I want more of that.  I'm not saying FF XIII is bad, not in the slightest, I am just saying that for right now, I prefer to spend my cash on a game I know I love already.  

I should add that I am biased since I count Dragon Age as my current favorite game ever.   And, I'm not actually spending any money to get the expansion since I have a Christmas gift card still unused.  Normally, I'd never pay full price for a PC game.  Doubly so for an expansion.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Skald
    @PenguinDust said:
    " I should add that I am biased since count Dragon Age as my current favorite game ever. "
    You and me both. 

I might pick FF XIII up later, too, just to sate my curiosity. There will be a lot of copies, particularly used copies, floating around for ages. Scarcity is certainly not a concern.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cornman89

The game eases you into it. This seems to be a turn-off to people that prefer to be thrown straight into the deep end of the pool, but if you're a dip-a-toe-into-the-water kind of guy, there is no game I can possibly think of that is more for you than FFXIII.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By asurastrike
    @slantedwindows said:
    " if you get bored easily, don't do it. i quit after about 15 minutes. so did my roommate, though he got through about 45 minutes.  joystiq said the game doesn't even get really good until 15 hours in. FIFTEEN HOURS. "
    15 minutes? That's a short amount of time even for a movie. Persona 4 goes 2 hours before you can even control your character, and it is a fantastic game. You should have given FFXIII more of a chance, it picks up at around the 2 hour mark.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Burns098356GX

@GetWhatYagive said:

"  Hey guys,   I've been recently reading a lot about the game, reviews and such, and trying to watch trailers and so on.   I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should buy this game and was looking if you guys could offer some help.   I enjoy the occasional RPG here and there.  I enjoyed FF7, FFX, Legend of Dragoon, Suikoden, and Dragon Age.  I bought FFXII, but only played through a few hours of it before losing interest.  I've always been semi-interested in the Final Fantasy series, however, I'm a bit worried that the battle system will be too complex for me to follow.  I wasn't a huge fan of the sphere grid in FFX, but I got used to it over time.   Anyway, is the game "newb" friendly, in a sense, that it eases you into the battle system and explains how to play.   Thanks for any tips, advice you can offer!   "

I've played all those games you've listed, aside from Suikoden. I am enjoying this one much more then I thought I would. The story is interesting and unique (although it can be hard to pick up on the names for things like L'Ci, Fal'Ci, Ci'ith ect ect) The battle system looks complicated, but its really not, its really one of those things where they present you with a shit ton of information, and it looks like its alot to take in, but its not. They very gradually introduce new things into it every so often so your not overwhelmed. Its defiantly different then any other FF I've played, I'm not going to say I prefer one over the other, but I do like the battle system, class system in this game. This game is very worth the purchase. I wasn't expecting this good of a game, considering 10, 10-2 and 12 were both huge letdowns for me, but I think this is going to be one of my favourites of the series. They defiantly made it things easier to get into, its not super hardcore traditional RPGs where you have to stat analyze, grind for half the game. Don't pass this game up. I can't honestly think of anything in the game thus far that I truly don't like, theres things I wish were more like some of the old FF games, but I dont see anything in this game thats actually bad.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Turambar
    @Cornman89 said:
    " The game eases you into it. This seems to be a turn-off to people that prefer to be thrown straight into the deep end of the pool, but if you're a dip-a-toe-into-the-water kind of guy, there is no game I can possibly think of that is more for you than FFXIII. "
    Honestly, I feel like the degree to which it eases you into the combat system is overstated.  From the way it was described by both players and reviews, I was expecting to be drip fed bits and pieces for at least half a dozen hours.  But the two hour mark is when you leave what was essentially the tutorial zone, and get access to essentially everything the combat has to offer (sans eidolons, but those aren't exactly vital to the experience.)  Now perhaps that 2 hours is still 2 hours too long for some, given how it can definitely seem overwhelming at first glance, I can understand why they did it the way they did.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Addfwyn

Do you like JRPGs?  If so, I'd say get it.  It's a very solid JRPG.  If not, well...you probably won't like it.  I feel if you liked past FFs, including FFX especially, and you go into this with an open mind, you'll like it.  Don't go into it expecting FFVII-2 or a WRPG and don't go into it intending to look for every little detail.  If you want to convince yourself this game is bad, you'll be able to.  Lots of players are going into this game with a very negative mindset, just looking for the bad parts, and having their fears confirmed.  Just play it with an open-mind.

Sure it doesn't have some of the staples people associate with JRPGs, but I feel that is just a streamlining of the overall formula.  Include a fantastic and interesting battle system that makes you actually look forward to combat, and it's a solid buy.  Great cast of characters, good story, great combat.   

That said, if you are a WRPG player looking for the next RPG and you may have played some JRPGs in the past, this may not be for you.  THis doesn't have the open-ness that is characteristic of WRPGs.  Myself, I am glad it doesn't, but your mileage may vary.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MightyDuck

Thanks guys!  I appreciate all the info and feedback.

Looks like I will give it at least a rent, and possibly purchase it there after.

slantedwindows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By slantedwindows
    @Asurastrike: 

that's kind of my point. at least persona 4 was engaging. and just to earn some street cred, i beat it before the endurance run even thought of playing.
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Lambert

20 hours to get to any of the good parts, and even when you reach the good parts, they are just good, not great. Horrible cast of characters, and horrible voice-acting. Story is just a mess; you understand it, but you will be sayin "WTF!?" all the time. 

I still don't get why anyone would call this an RPG. You aren't doing anything but watching a movie half the time, and the other half is linear combat. Other Role playing games allow you to play a certain role and play the way you want to. 

The graphics are nice.

Biggest gaming disappointment of the decade.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By ptys
    @GetWhatYagive: I was exactly the same... but then one of the reviewers I respect gave it an 8.5, so I thought f#*k it!.. If it's bad... then oh well, but if it's good then at least you didn't miss out. I'm still waiting mine to be delivered as I bought it cheap from overseas, which is a good idea if you think it could be a throw away and playing straight away isn't that important.
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MightyDuck

Hey guys,

Just picked up the game earlier today.  I'm not too far in it, but I'm enjoying it so far.  Thanks again for all the info and opinions!

Suxxorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Suxxorz

Personally I'd say the biggest disappointment of the decade is Lambert.  You've obviously not played the game, just parroting other people's comments on it, who probably haven't played it either.  If you don't like "watching a movie all the time"  you've the wrong avatar, as that's all Metal Gear 4 was.  I won't say the game is perfect or flawless but just to say everything's bad except the graphics is flat out wrong, imo.  Enjoy =)

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Lambert:  
    How far did you actually play?  If you think it takes 20 hours, I'm guessing you didn't make it more than 30-45 minutes and are just parroting what other people said.  With some of the best (and most realistic) characters in an RPG, and overall great english voice acting (Vanille aside) I don't really get your complaints.  I've heard plenty of well reasoned complaints here about FFXIII that were legitimate, but it seems like you are just parroting what other people said and then making them even more hyperbolic. 

Also, as said, you probably shouldn't say things complaining about it having too many cinematics when your avatar is from MGS4.  I loved MGS4, don't get me wrong, but it seems like exactly the game you'd hate.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.