Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Playthrough of FF13 Part 1

arkadysmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Edited By arkadysmile

So I recently picked up a copy of Final Fantasy XIII. When this game was first released I was there first day, just like I had been with all of the other parts of the series. I played for about a 2 hour stint. Lets just say that I was less than impressed. Other titles came out and eventually the game was put into a stack of trades. I didn't feel all that bad seeing the middling scores that the game was getting. Then the other day I see it on sale for 15 smackers. At that price, I thought, I would give it another (more fair) chance. So I thought that every few hours I would give my thoughts on what was going on in the game. How I was feeling about it and such. So here we go...

Play 1:

I open the shrink wrap and take the game out. I realize that I miss the days of nice big manuals. I place the game in my PS3 and start her up. No install, thats nice. Check out the options and decide that RPGS have alot of talkin' going on and put the subtitles on. I hit start and away we go.

First I have to say that this is a stunning game. Everything seems to have been touched with loving care. Though the graphics were never one of the major downsides to any of the reviews I have read. A train is on its way to somewhere when a lady (foxy) starts beating the crap out of some Star Wars looking mofos. A black man with an afro (which in a later cutscene we will come to learn a chocobo lives in) seems to be helping her. After a few introductery fights we move over to our next character...

Look its Seifer from FF8. No really this dude looks alot like him, but this guys name is Snow and he is the leader of a rebel group named NORA. Which as far as I can tell is made up of kids with goofy ass hair and one lady with no pants. They seem really mad at the Storm Troopers (Sanctum) soliders and enlist some of the people who were part of a thing called the "Purge". They talk alot about being the hero and things go from bad to worse. A gun ship starts shoting shit up and this mother (no really this lady tells us on two occasions that Mom are though. She procides to be killed, but not before telling Snow to look after him. Him who? Well thats comes alittle later.

Well this is happeing Lightning (the foxy lady from before) and Satz (the dude with the chocobo afro) steal a ship and head towards this big thing with a goofy name. Battles, cutscene and back to...

Snow, who is feeling bad about the lady dying. His friend with the "Wakka" like hair busts him out of his funk by telling him to go get the girl. Her name is Serah (who for the trailers to XIII-2 looks to be the main protaganist of that game). They take some pod racers back to the rest of NORA and the Purge victums. One of these is...

a boy named Hope. Yup this is the boy that the lady was talking about. He makes friends with a girl (is distrubingly well developed for what I guess her age to be) with red hair and an odd accent. It seems to be half between english and austrailian? Boy is Hope mad. See he saw the whole thing and blames Snow for his moms death. Let me stop here for a moment. This better not be all that this kid is about cause if it is we are going to have a looooongg adventure with this whinny emo brat. Blah, blah, blah comes from Hope. Just then Snow and Wakka 2 show up. Snow heads off to the Pulse fal' cie (the big goofy thing from earlier) and the kids follow.

So now we have all of the main? characters heading towards one place. It seems really bizzare to me to start a game in the middle. I have no idea what the hell is going on or who any of the characters are. There is a Mass Effect style codex system in place to hopefully answer some questions. Bu still it seems an odd design choice to start the game after the fact.

See you after a few more hour...

PS Satz so far is the best character (and at the moment I use that word loosely)

arkadysmile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By arkadysmile

So I recently picked up a copy of Final Fantasy XIII. When this game was first released I was there first day, just like I had been with all of the other parts of the series. I played for about a 2 hour stint. Lets just say that I was less than impressed. Other titles came out and eventually the game was put into a stack of trades. I didn't feel all that bad seeing the middling scores that the game was getting. Then the other day I see it on sale for 15 smackers. At that price, I thought, I would give it another (more fair) chance. So I thought that every few hours I would give my thoughts on what was going on in the game. How I was feeling about it and such. So here we go...

Play 1:

I open the shrink wrap and take the game out. I realize that I miss the days of nice big manuals. I place the game in my PS3 and start her up. No install, thats nice. Check out the options and decide that RPGS have alot of talkin' going on and put the subtitles on. I hit start and away we go.

First I have to say that this is a stunning game. Everything seems to have been touched with loving care. Though the graphics were never one of the major downsides to any of the reviews I have read. A train is on its way to somewhere when a lady (foxy) starts beating the crap out of some Star Wars looking mofos. A black man with an afro (which in a later cutscene we will come to learn a chocobo lives in) seems to be helping her. After a few introductery fights we move over to our next character...

Look its Seifer from FF8. No really this dude looks alot like him, but this guys name is Snow and he is the leader of a rebel group named NORA. Which as far as I can tell is made up of kids with goofy ass hair and one lady with no pants. They seem really mad at the Storm Troopers (Sanctum) soliders and enlist some of the people who were part of a thing called the "Purge". They talk alot about being the hero and things go from bad to worse. A gun ship starts shoting shit up and this mother (no really this lady tells us on two occasions that Mom are though. She procides to be killed, but not before telling Snow to look after him. Him who? Well thats comes alittle later.

Well this is happeing Lightning (the foxy lady from before) and Satz (the dude with the chocobo afro) steal a ship and head towards this big thing with a goofy name. Battles, cutscene and back to...

Snow, who is feeling bad about the lady dying. His friend with the "Wakka" like hair busts him out of his funk by telling him to go get the girl. Her name is Serah (who for the trailers to XIII-2 looks to be the main protaganist of that game). They take some pod racers back to the rest of NORA and the Purge victums. One of these is...

a boy named Hope. Yup this is the boy that the lady was talking about. He makes friends with a girl (is distrubingly well developed for what I guess her age to be) with red hair and an odd accent. It seems to be half between english and austrailian? Boy is Hope mad. See he saw the whole thing and blames Snow for his moms death. Let me stop here for a moment. This better not be all that this kid is about cause if it is we are going to have a looooongg adventure with this whinny emo brat. Blah, blah, blah comes from Hope. Just then Snow and Wakka 2 show up. Snow heads off to the Pulse fal' cie (the big goofy thing from earlier) and the kids follow.

So now we have all of the main? characters heading towards one place. It seems really bizzare to me to start a game in the middle. I have no idea what the hell is going on or who any of the characters are. There is a Mass Effect style codex system in place to hopefully answer some questions. Bu still it seems an odd design choice to start the game after the fact.

See you after a few more hour...

PS Satz so far is the best character (and at the moment I use that word loosely)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.