Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

PS3 outsells Xbox 360 version

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jadeskye
    Adanux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Adanux

Wow, that is a lot closer than I would have expected.  With that in mind, it seems crazy that Microsoft had to pay to get this on the 360 in the first place especially when you consider the quality of the port.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Semition

Not too surprising. Although I expected the PS3 version to sell a little bit better in Europe.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Adanux: microsoft, sony and apple (not to mention some other companies) seem to be adopting the brute force technique more and more. 

I.E. Throw money at it until it works and it comes to your medium.
    Monkeygb21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Monkeygb21

I agree that install base is a big part of the closeness.   But don’t forget, Microsoft put a lot of co-marketing dollars behind this game.   

As far as the over all console winner is concerned the PS3 versions will inevitably sell more since it had a huge head start in .  

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Monkeygb21: true, but thats given as it was exclusive in japan =)
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Yeah, I saw the UK sales charts this morning and was surprised to see the PS3 version only had a 4% lead.
    Good news for Square, Microsoft and multiplatform games in general.

orionx65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jadeskye
    @orionw: big surprise given it's regional exclusivity :p
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By penguindust

I want to see the North American NPDs before I am ready to recant my assertion that the 360 has a stronger chance of outselling the PS3 version.  Europe has a closer relationship with the PS3 than North America, so I am not too surprised that the UK charts would show stronger sales numbers on the Sony platform.  However, in North America the 360 has a much larger user base, so if the PS3 version out sells the 360 version that says something positive about the future of the PS3 in North America. 

On a side note, the Brits continue their love affair with Just Dance.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @PenguinDust said:
    " I want to see the North American NPDs before I am ready to recant my assertion that the 360 has a stronger chance of outselling the PS3 version.  Europe has a closer relationship with the PS3 than North America, so I am not too surprised that the UK charts would show stronger sales numbers on the Sony platform.  However, in North America the 360 has a much larger user base, so if the PS3 version out sells the 360 version that says something positive about the future of the PS3 in North America.  "
    Im thinking the same thing. I was surprised that the PS3 sold more then 360 in Europe, but I'm pretty sure 360 will be higher than PS3 in North America. Other than myself, I don't know anybody that owns a PS3.
    orionx65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By orionx65
    @jadeskye: Regions counted in those statistics have FFXIII available for both consoles, the "Other Regions" are different parts of europe and australia.

edit: nvm unclear if places like singapore and taiwan are included where it's still ps3 exclusive also.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jadeskye
    @orionw said:
    " @jadeskye: Regions counted in those statistics have FFXIII available for both consoles, the "Other Regions" are different parts of europe and australia.  edit: nvm unclear if places like singapore and taiwan are included where it's still ps3 exclusive also. "
    my mistake =)
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By xyzygy

The game hasn't been out for a week... who's to say it might sell more on either platform? The NPD will probably be the best bet, but that doesn't even include Wal-Mart and those places so it still won't be that accurate. And I know that around here, all the Walmarts were sold out of 360 copies. Either way, I'm glad that it's selling so well on the 360. Maybe this will prove to publishers that multiplatforms are the way to go.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By m1k3

What helped the 360 numbers is that in America the commercials ONLY showed that it was on the 360. A guy in one of my classes didn't even know there was a PS3 version.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Addfwyn

I wouldn't be too surprised to see the PS3 version sell more, simply because of demographics.  A lot of the japanese-style-game fans picked up the PS3 earlier (especially those of us that import, as there is no region coding, woot) which would have obvious overlap with the demographic that bought FFXIII.  The 360 caters a lot more towards a US-style game audience, which are not overwhelmingly going to be into JRPGs necessarily.  Of course, they can be, just that the demographic doesn't necessarily overlap as much (as hard as MS tries to make it do so in Japan).  

SteveVice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By SteveVice

As expected :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.