Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

review?

• 51 results
    SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SadPatrol

are they going to review this game or not?
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

Brad is working on it.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SadPatrol
    @Milkman:
    thanks, I almost gave up hope.
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ImperiousRix

It's a long game, and as Milkman said, Brad's working on it.  He also actually restarted the game recently, so any progress he'd already made on the 360 version was lost when he went to the PS3. 
    I'm sure a review will be forth-coming soon.

MeatXbeatsXman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By MeatXbeatsXman

He restarted it on the PS3.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Marz

just gotta chill, Brad said in the podcast that he will get a review when he finishes the game.   Doesn't help that he started the game all over again from the xbox to the PS3 version but he's getting there.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SadPatrol
    @MeatXbeatsXman:
    @ImperiousRix:  
    really....why? and how do you know?

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Trilogy
    @SadPatrol said:
    " @MeatXbeatsXman: @ImperiousRix:  really....why? and how do you know? "
    He said so on the bombcast.
    SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SadPatrol
    @Trilogy:  
    oh, I should probably start listening to those.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By rjayb89

He also said the lack of naked cartoon pussy just doesn't go far enough.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By matthew
    @rjayb89 said:
    " lack of naked cartoon pussy just doesn't go far enough. "
    A worldview that can be applied to basically every aspect in life.
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By mrfluke

note the time that i posted, because i just got of ff13 and i see on my friends list that brad is still playing final fantasy on the ps3 

(its 2am )

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Yukoei

Why would he restart the game on the Playstation 3?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By ch13696
    @Yukoei said:
    " Why would he restart the game on the Playstation 3? "
    Apparentley, and don't quote me on this, everyone thinks it's better on the PS3. Once I get my 360 back then I'll find out. I just finished the PS3 version a few days ago.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Yukoei said:
    Listen to the Bombcast to find out
    Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Heylook

Audio and video is compressed quite heavily on the 360 version. Also you have to swap disks out as the game progresses. 

I'm not sure why he restarted on the ps3 thoough

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy
    @Yukoei said:
    Apparently the change in quality warrants enough for him to start over but I don't even want to say anything on here because his cronies will come after me.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Yukoei said:
    It's a pretty universal truth that it is far better on the PS3. I guess he wanted the best experience for the review so went with the PS3 version.
    JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JDDrewes

sorry for the noobish question, but if FFXIII is apparently so much better on the PS3, why does it have a lower score on metacritic?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Snail
    @JDDrewes said:
    " sorry for the noobish question, but if FFXIII is apparently so much better on the PS3, why does it have a lower score on metacritic? "
    Probably because it has more reviews.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I hate to say it, but it is way better on the PS3. The cutscenes look  like ass sometimes on my 360 copy, and I can tell the resolution is markedly lower because I'm close enough to my TV (it's on my desk, so it's practically in my face) to notice that. The dithering effects in partially-transparent surfaces such as hair and creature wings looks like small, spaced-out dots, it's just sloppy. Also, something that generally isn't touched upon is the sound quality in the prerendered cutscenes, which actually sounds noticeably worse than the ingame stuff.

I've seen my friend's PS3 version in action and it's a night-and-day difference.

Overall I still enjoyed the game enough on the 360, but I was disappointed with the porting job. I can understand why Brad would make that move. Also, I'm afraid he might get stuck at the boss that ends chapter 11. That was by far the most difficult fight in the game; even more so than the final boss.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arjuna

It's been twenty days now since the game's release.  I really want to get Brad's take on it.  The game can't be that hard.  I'm sure half of the game is just video. 

Brad joked in a podcast that people aren't waiting for his review to buy the game...  Well, actually, I am...  not to buy the game, per se, but whether to buy the PS3 or 360 version.  I'd like to hear Brad's take on just how much worse the graphics are on the 360. 

I'm in no hurry to play the game, and have been keeping myself busy with other releases; but I am actually waiting for Brad's review. 

Dude...

voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By voodooterror
    @Yukoei said:
    its technically better in almost every way. 
    the resolution, the framerate ect..
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Talesavo

The Xbox version is almost unplayable in some spots. :(

Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Talesavo
    @Arjuna said:
    " It's been twenty days now since the game's release.  I really want to get Brad's take on it.  The game can't be that hard.  I'm sure half of the game is just video.  Brad joked in a podcast that people aren't waiting for his review to buy the game...  Well, actually, I am...  not to buy the game, per se, but whether to buy the PS3 or 360 version.  I'd like to hear Brad's take on just how much worse the graphics are on the 360.  I'm in no hurry to play the game, and have been keeping myself busy with other releases; but I am actually waiting for Brad's review.  Dude... "
    Dood, if it's a matter of getting it on either platform. Get it on the PS3.
    MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By MysteriousBob

So its another case of Bayonetta, then? Thankfully I would rather have the best version of an excellent action game than the best version of a mediocre J-RPG.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#27  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @Talesavo said:
    " @Arjuna said:
    " It's been twenty days now since the game's release.  I really want to get Brad's take on it.  The game can't be that hard.  I'm sure half of the game is just video.  Brad joked in a podcast that people aren't waiting for his review to buy the game...  Well, actually, I am...  not to buy the game, per se, but whether to buy the PS3 or 360 version.  I'd like to hear Brad's take on just how much worse the graphics are on the 360.  I'm in no hurry to play the game, and have been keeping myself busy with other releases; but I am actually waiting for Brad's review.  Dude... "
    Dood, if it's a matter of getting it on either platform. Get it on the PS3. "
    He already commented on how much better the PS3 version is over the 360 counterpart. Enough that he started 8 hours over on the PS3...
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZenaxPure

Can someone clarify what exactly Brad was referring to on this past bombcast? Like he said he is almost done with the game and has 50 hours into it. Is he talking about cross platform? Or did he go out of his way doing optional stuff only to not realize it was... optional. Seriously I am so confused right now, I beat the game just shy of 32 hours on the PS3. Didn't skip any cutscenes, went out of my way to find treasure chests, and went out of my way to fight enemies and I can not imagine how it would take anyone even slow players 50 hours to beat the game. Like holy hell....

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Arjuna said:
    Wow...just wow. There are hundreds of reviews out for the game and they all say the same thing but you need one guy to restate what has already been said before you'll buy it? Let me give you a little preview of what he'll say. The game takes a while to get going and it takes way to long to introduce all the combat mechanics. The second half of the game is fantastic and the story is one of the best Final Fantasy stories ever. PS3 version is better then the 360 version. That will be his review. The rest will be color and filler.

@Talesavo said:
    " The Xbox version is almost unplayable in some spots. :( "

Have you played the 360 version? I agree 100% the game doesn't look as good on the 360 but it doesn't affect the gameplay what soever. It still looks better then most 360 games and to say it is unplayable is just an idiotic comment that screams fanboy.@MysteriousBob said:
    " So its another case of Bayonetta, then? Thankfully I would rather have the best version of an excellent action game than the best version of a mediocre J-RPG. "
    Again relating to what I just said. It's nothing like the differences between Bayonetta. Bayonetta was ruined on the PS3. It wasn't even worth playing because the gameplay got screwed up because of the poor programming. With FF13 it just doesn't look at good. If you only ever saw the 360 version of FF13 you'd have no complaints because the gameplay wasn't affected at all and there wasn't something more pretty to compare it too. If you had only ever seen the PS3 version of Bayonetta you would think wow this game is trash and I want my money back.
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nanikore
    @JDDrewes said:
    " sorry for the noobish question, but if FFXIII is apparently so much better on the PS3, why does it have a lower score on metacritic? "
    Because it's been reviewed more.
    Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Arjuna
    @Hunkulese said:

" @Arjuna said:

Wow...just wow. There are hundreds of reviews out for the game and they all say the same thing but you need one guy to restate what has already been said before you'll buy it? Let me give you a little preview of what he'll say. The game takes a while to get going and it takes way to long to introduce all the combat mechanics. The second half of the game is fantastic and the story is one of the best Final Fantasy stories ever. PS3 version is better then the 360 version. That will be his review. The rest will be color and filler.
    Brad is reputable.  I`m sure there are hundreds of reviews, indeed I would say hundreds-of-thousands for this particular game, but I defer to Brad`s opinion.  IGN had accidentally leaked their review score for Modern Warfare 2 before they had even played the game!  Gamespot fired their executive-editor for giving a negative review to a game, since the publisher was a site sponsor!  I come to Giantbomb because they seem to have retained a level of journalistic integrity. 

If you are saying that it is ridiculous to have waited this long to buy the game because I am waiting for Brad`s opinion, then you`re right!  But that`s not my fault...  It`s Brad`s...  I am a Final Fantasy fan, but I`m not die-hard.  There`re a number of other games I`ve been able to play before Final Fantasy(games that might even be better experiences); like God of War III and Heavy Rain.  My point is:  I`m not sitting on my ass doing nothing but clicking refresh on Giantbomb, waiting for Brads FF review.  I am playing other games.  But I`m about ready to move on to FF, and I really wish I could read Brad`s review.  

It`s not so much that I will decide whether to buy, or which version to buy(PS3), I really just want to hear Brad`s POV.

You`re right.  At this point, for Giantbomb to even post a review might even seem silly; given how far ahead everyone else is.
    Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By Xanth93

Could everyone just shut up and let Brad do what he has to do? I'm sure he's getting everything he can done. Remember, Giant Bomb does so much more than game reviews, so I bet he's busy. You people need to calm down. He said he was on Chapter 10 on the 3/23 Bombcast, and I'm not sure how far he's gotten since the most recent Bombcast. Still, just stop complaining and wait if you really want to hear what Brad has to say about the game.

yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By yeahno

I don't think people should be saying that the 360 version looks bad. I MEAN OH MY JEEZ EVERYTHING ABOUT IT LOOKS WONDERFUL. It might look better on the PS3, but it never looks bad. Cynics!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By xyzygy
    @yeahno said:

" I don't think people should be saying that the 360 version looks bad. I MEAN OH MY JEEZ EVERYTHING ABOUT IT LOOKS WONDERFUL. It might look better on the PS3, but it never looks bad. Cynics! "

Exactly, that's what I'm trying to say. And it's far from unplayable. The people who are saying it's like another Bayonetta are way way off. 

I'm wondering why anyone even cares about the GiantBomb review anymore, the game has been out for over 3 weeks now and it has been reviewed by many other website weeks ago.  Did anyone else notice that they took down the FFXIII game thing on the front page though?
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Talesavo

@Talesavo said:

Have you played the 360 version? I agree 100% the game doesn't look as good on the 360 but it doesn't affect the gameplay what soever. It still looks better then most 360 games and to say it is unplayable is just an idiotic comment that screams fanboy.
    Do I own the 360 version? Yes, I own the 360 version, Nautilus and Gran Pulse are almost unplayable, to claim it doesn't have any marked difference aside from some of the visuals is the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. Although it's cute you call me a fanboy, although I have PS3/PC and the 360 and my 360 gets the most use out of all my consoles, so the only fanboy here is you.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Talesavo said:
    "

@Talesavo said:

Have you played the 360 version? I agree 100% the game doesn't look as good on the 360 but it doesn't affect the gameplay what soever. It still looks better then most 360 games and to say it is unplayable is just an idiotic comment that screams fanboy.
    Do I own the 360 version? Yes, I own the 360 version, Nautilus and Gran Pulse are almost unplayable, to claim it doesn't have any marked difference aside from some of the visuals is the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. Although it's cute you call me a fanboy, although I have PS3/PC and the 360 and my 360 gets the most use out of all my consoles, so the only fanboy here is you. "
    I've said numerous times the PS3 version is better so I'm not sure how I'm a fanboy. 

Saying the game is unplayable is silly. What exactly makes the game unplayable for you. The game looks a little less sharp and the sound quality may be a little lower. That makes it unplayable?

In reality the game runs slightly smoother on the 360. Link
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Talesavo

The FPS, like I've stated a few times already is almost unplayable, the battle sequences are fine and ingame cinematics are fine, the exploration is not. 

Can you find a similiar video that shows the FPS in exploration(specifically Nautilus)? I'd be intrigued to see the results. It may be terrible on both, who knows.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Talesavo: I didn't have a problem with Nautilis but this man is indeed correct about Pulse. While not every area is this way there are some pretty brutal frame rate drops in certain areas of Pulse on the 360 version that are absolutely non-existent on the PS3 version. However, these only occur in open areas with lots of mobs and in no way does it make the game unplayable nor do these frame rate drops come over to where it actually matters (the battles, they run smooth).  

That said these areas in Pulse are the first time I actually felt like the 360 version was inferior to the PS3 version enough to bother me slightly since even though the 360 version looks noticeably worse it still ran smooth, until Pulse.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Xanth93 said:
    " Could everyone just shut up and let Brad do what he has to do? I'm sure he's getting everything he can done. Remember, Giant Bomb does so much more than game reviews, so I bet he's busy. You people need to calm down. He said he was on Chapter 10 on the 3/23 Bombcast, and I'm not sure how far he's gotten since the most recent Bombcast. Still, just stop complaining and wait if you really want to hear what Brad has to say about the game. "
    Also, I personally don't really care what Brad thinks about the game (not that I disrespect his opinion or anything, but I don't come to giantbomb for RPG reviews since the staff doesn't play many in general) I just want to know why it is apparently taking him 50 hours to beat it (as he said himself on the bombcast). Like I mentioned before I just can't imagine the game being 50 hours unless you go out of your way to do optional stuff which how he talked he decided not to. Seriously the game is like 30 hours not 50... 35 and maybe even 40 I could understand but 50 hours just confuses me and he isn't even done yet (or wasn't as of the recording).
    Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Xanth93
    @Zenaxzd: I'm 25 hours into the game and on Chapter 10. And I hear Chapter 11 is so fucking long. I can see why this is taking him about 50 hours.
    Cetra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cetra

From the way Brad made it sound on this week's Bombcast, it would be reviewed and up on the site this week. That doesn't actually mean it's going to happen, but it's definitely a possibility.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Xanth93: Chapter 11 took me about 5-6 hours, it wasn't terribly long unless you went out of your way to do stuff. I did the first 2 easy missions then went straight to the ! on the map to continue the story. My final play time was something like 31 hours 58 minutes. 50 hours is just ridiculous unless you are doing missions before beating the game (which like I said he implied that he was just continuing on the main plot and not doing the missions).
    Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Xanth93
    @Zenaxzd:  I'm usually very slow with RPGs. Brad might be as well.
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By Brad

I did the first 30 of the missions in chapter 11 and messed around with the equipment upgrades, looked for cactuars and such before moving on to fight the boss and start chapter 12. Clearly I could have spent a lot less time on those missions, but it pays to be thorough, this being a review and all. Besides, when you just spent the last 30 hours running in a straight line, why would you want to skip over the one section of the game that lets you veer off to the side a little bit?

Anyway, I just finished it tonight and I think I'd be fine never playing it again, which is not to say anything about how much I did or didn't like it.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Brad:  Finally.
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By nukesniper
    @Brad said:
    " looked for cactuars and such before moving on"
    I'm more excited to hear that Brad was doing this than I am to see a review.  

Either way, glad you got through it, Brad. I'm excited to see your review, as I have found that you are the only person I have found (No, I hardly looked) who has strong feelings for FFVI and not as much for FFVII.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xyzygy
    @Zenaxzd: Haha, you can't imagine it being 50 hours? I beat it in 75 and I'm farming my last few Dark Matters right now at 138 hours :) 

BTW people, the 360 version is totally playable. The frame rate drops in Nautilus isn't anything big because you're hardly even there for long enough (like 5 mins in that area with the frame rate drops, literally) and the rest are all in the Archylte Steppe. the drops aren't bad though, you can still perfectly see everything and all, and it goes away if you're in the Steppe for more than 2 minutes. Trust me I've put a lot of hours into this game to know the bad spots. 

It's so minor that it's really nothing worth mentioning.
    Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Xanth93
    @Brad:  I have to agree. The game has been so linear that it really is a disappointment. I can't wait to get to the point where you do something other than getting from point A to point B.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Brad: Well that explains a lot of things. I still think it's unfair to say chapter 11 is insanely long and full of tons of non-optional stuff though. I got through it in one night myself because I found the story more interesting than wandering around completing missions.

@xyzygy: Bro, I clearly said skipping all the side missions. You're obviously going to get well over 50 hours if you do all that stuff, which I am in the process of doing on the 360 version currently. I have to ask, I am not familiar with all the names yet but is the Archyite Steppe the first zone you are in when Pulse opens up? Because on the 360 version that place takes huge frame rate drops that are non-existent on the PS3. 

No it's not unplayable but like I said it's the first time I found playing the 360 version annoying.
    Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lambert

Kind of hard to finish the game when it is so crap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.