Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Screw you Square

• 64 results
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By iamjohn
    @Diamond said:

" @zombie2011 said:

" I don't know why people want the original Japanese voice overs. It always seems to be a point reviewers mention when ever games have it but why do people want it? "

Because I understand some Japanese, and I'd rather not listen to lower quality English voice actors (same as listening to a movie with subtitles).  This problem is worsened by stuff like the SAG, who charge way too much for quality voice acting. "
    I could understand your trepidation if this were an Atlus or a NIS or an Ignition, but this is Square-motherfucking-Enix we're talking about, not to mention their breadwinning franchise here in America.  You'd have to be crazy to think they'd spare a single expense on this game. 

@Shadow2K6 said: 

" Dubs are always bad."

Funny, I distinctly remember watching Ponyo a couple hours ago and marveling at how excellent the dub was.    
    lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By lucas_kelly

The English voices will be fine. Whats the big deal with Japanese voice over anyway?. Unless you can understand Japanese fully, I cant see why you would want to read subtitles.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By vidiot

Simply: Yes. It is bullshit.

What I can't stand is that when you watch this interview, they seemed actually surprised by the news that western gamers might want the Japanese audio.  As if this piece of common knowledge is somehow new. I saw this same tonality when I read interviews leading up to the release of Star Ocean 4, and with Square's current track record, this disappointment and the almost hilarious contradictory P.R. is nothing new. (We a'int cutting anything outta the game because we went multi-platform! errrr....except this....)

It should be pointed out that they state the interview that the English voices will be re-animated and re-lip-synced. 
    Comparing a scene from Final Fantasy X, to this game, is like comparing a game made almost a decade ago to one coming out this year.....oh, wait. 
    Final Fantasy X had the issue of having to dub the voice over Japanese mouth animations. Speeding up certain lines to match the same timing of it's natives counterparts. It was obvious, distracting, and will not be making an appearance in this game.

I'm surprised they've made this fairly practical decision. This considerably helps the English voice actors who are now more free in their performances. It will be more natural. I really do look forward to hearing the English voice track. Everything I've heard so far hasn't been bad at all.

This does not make them exempt from their excuse of cutting out the Japanese vocal track.

The logic behind their excuse of not adding it is that it would delay the game more. Try a swallow that for a second. Something that isalready done, would require more testing to add in to an already finished product. Now, I am not naive when it comes to game development. I understand games are technical nightmares, that heavy testing is required for every new feature added.

This is Square. This is not some small time company. Either their new engine is too complicated, or they have crappy management.

Seeing how long this game has been delayed already, I'm betting on the latter. 
    It's bullshit. Square needs to stop acting ten years in the past and realize it's 2009. Having multiple languages is not a luxury on a fucking bluRay. It is embarrassing not to have this feature.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By Diamond
    @iAmJohn said:
    I could understand your trepidation if this were an Atlus or a NIS or an Ignition, but this is Square-motherfucking-Enix we're talking about, not to mention their breadwinning franchise here in America.  You'd have to be crazy to think they'd spare a single expense on this game.
    You'll have to pardon me if I don't act surprised when they hire the typical lineup of English anime, cartoon, and videogame actors to fill most, if not all of the roles.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By Jimbo

There's a Shaft lookalike running around with a chocobo living in his afro.  I'd be more worried about the level of character dumbassity you can expect from the game than the lack of an extra language track which you can't even understand properly.

There are about 4 people in the entire world who care about this and they'll all still buy the game anyway.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By time allen
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:

"  

@Bucketdeth said:

" A little bit of a let down, but I can count on Square to get good voice acting, I have never had a problem with any voices of the FF series as far as I can recall. "

Did you play FFX? Remember... THIS!? Skip to about 1:50 for the really bad part. "
    Yeah, that scene is hilarious but the rest of the voice acting in that game is brilliant.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#57  Edited By KingBroly
    @Kuragari said:
    " I'm a computer science major who's been seriously studying japanese for 4 years and I'm really annoyed by the extensive poor choices by Square. American voice acting is a waste of money because there's so few good voice actors and the good ones get recycled over and over. I prefer Japanese voice acting because it usually sounds better as well as conveys the story better.    Square is pandering to the lowest common denominator which is something a lot of game companies have been doing lately.     I own a Xbox 360 and I was considering buying a PS3, but now I have another reason not to.  So who benefits by having an American version without Japanese voices? It's not Sony for sure. I don't understand why they can't just release the Xbox 360 version with an Xbox Live update for Japanese voices if they can't fit it on the discs?  Ubisoft did it for Naruto: Rise of a Ninja for 360, so why can't Square?Square-enix needs to be more open to its customers' preferences.  Email them and let them know what a blunder they're making, start a petition, tell them we want Japanese voice acting because American voice actors suck. No you can't trust them to have good voice acting. "

Well, that game was pretty small.  With XIII, you're looking at...500mb to a gig.  Oh, and I'm sure Microsoft would let them release it for free...NOT.   I'd rather play this with Japanese Voices and English subtitles, and I say that having played both Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon with English voices.  But honestly, if they want to charge me extra for the priviledge, they can go to hell. 

But...I'm more interested to hear about this sidequest info that just popped up.  Supposedly since the 360 version is on multiple discs, sidequests won't be available all the way through the game.  And since the game is supposed to be EXACTLY the same on both consoles (that's what they said) does this mean that the PS3 version's being compromised (meaning these sidequests will disappear over time instead of being available to the end when they could since it's on a single disc)?
    willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#58  Edited By willin

Seeing how you most of you people don't actually speak Japanese, just put the volume of the voices to mute and put on English subtitles because that's is what you're really doing.

How about Japanese voice tracks as DLC. Everyone wins.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Diamond
    @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:

Seeing how you most of you people don't actually speak Japanese, just put the volume of the voices to mute and put on English subtitles because that's is what you're really doing.

The people that understand none of the language can still hear the tone of the voices.  That in particular is one of the most important aspects of voice acting in the first place.  You can sense emotion without understanding words.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By PufferFiz
    @Diamond said:
    " @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:

The people that understand none of the language can still hear the tone of the voices.  That in particular is one of the most important aspects of voice acting in the first place.  You can sense emotion without understanding words. "
    this 100% THIS.
    Emotion is crucial in VAs. A lot of times this is what the english version is missing and it makes everything sound terrible and flat.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @PufferFiz said:
    " @Diamond said:

The people that understand none of the language can still hear the tone of the voices.  That in particular is one of the most important aspects of voice acting in the first place.  You can sense emotion without understanding words. "
    this 100% THIS. Emotion is crucial in VAs. A lot of times this is what the english version is missing and it makes everything sound terrible and flat. "
    The same thing could be said for Japanese voice acting.  Most of the time infact, Japanese voice actors are far, far worse.  Not being able to understand it doesn't instantly make it better, nor does every character being played by a 10 year old screechy school girl.  The whole Japanese purist thing really bugs me.  If you want to play the game in Japanese, buy the Japanese version.

As long as Square hire decent voice actors, there shouldn't be a problem.  If they're bad, blame them for that.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#62  Edited By PufferFiz
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @PufferFiz said:
    " @Diamond said:

this 100% THIS. Emotion is crucial in VAs. A lot of times this is what the english version is missing and it makes everything sound terrible and flat. "
    The same thing could be said for Japanese voice acting.  Most of the time infact, Japanese voice actors are far, far worse.  Not being able to understand it doesn't instantly make it better, nor does every character being played by a 10 year old screechy school girl.  The whole Japanese purist thing really bugs me.  If you want to play the game in Japanese, buy the Japanese version. As long as Square hire decent voice actors, there shouldn't be a problem.  If they're bad, blame them for that. "
    I have never watched an anime that the JVA was worse then the english one. Sure there are some that the english version is quite good and enjoyable to listen too. But that is a rarity. And I am not trying to be a purist. they are not guaranteed to be better but for the most part they are so I generally listen to the japanese version of anything.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Diamond
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    The same thing could be said for Japanese voice acting.  Most of the time infact, Japanese voice actors are far, far worse.  Not being able to understand it doesn't instantly make it better, nor does every character being played by a 10 year old screechy school girl.  The whole Japanese purist thing really bugs me.  If you want to play the game in Japanese, buy the Japanese version. As long as Square hire decent voice actors, there shouldn't be a problem.  If they're bad, blame them for that. "
    Maybe you just think they're worse.  I can tell you in most cases the Japanese actors are better.  Japanese actors don't have as hard of a time putting their name on a videogame as English actors.  You get childrens' cartoon actors for a lot of videogame roles in the West.  The sad problem is it costs probably 10 to 100 times more to hire an equivalent English actor.

Not saying this is true in every case, but in many I can think of it's true.  Try looking up Star Ocean 4, listen to how at least decent it sounds in Japanese versus the English dub...

Why does the Japanese purist thing bug you?
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#64  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

thank god you didn't fall for ps3centrals baseless speculation of the game being cut, and such because of 360 in terms of gameplay and such.

As for that i bring up one point no past ff has had a Japanese language track.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.