Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

SE releases Doctored photos of the 360 version.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword
    Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Questionable

Well isent it obvious the lead platform is gona look slightly better than the port?

Besides isent it pretty much rule of thumb that you will only find doctored photos on the official site of any "next gen" title these days? thats why we have sites like gametrailers and whatnot hosting theyr own comparisons. 

Even the back of the box usually only shows in-game images taken from the lead platform despite the image obviously being too small to make out any detail. Just shows how self conscious PR folk are.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ravensword
    @Questionable:

gamespot said it looked better on 360, so who knows.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By uniform

From reports I've read, the cut scenes obviously look better on the PS3 (1080p), but in-game the two will be difficult to differentiate with the naked eye. I'm going by unbiased online reports, as well as reports of those that saw both versions on the "Lightning Bus". I would take all those crispy, crisper statements with a grain of salt. Nothing's set in stone until we get legitimate visual side by side comparisons. Hopefully this is presented to the public before March 9th.

Falsate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Falsate

This has nothing to do with it. We're talking about the screenshots above and it's not a matter of which version is graphically superior.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Luke

So far, it goes:  

Cut-scenes:

PS3 = Winner (1080p vs. 720p compressed on 360)

In-game Graphics:
    360 = Winner ("sharper" than PS3)

Audio:
    PS3 = Winner (lossless 7.1 vs. compressed 5.1 on 360)

Achievements:
    360 = Winner (Achievements vs. nearly worthless Trophies on PS3, until Sony gets off their asses and gives us an external XML Data Feed API + Auto-syncing online the second you unlock a damn Trophy)

The Versus Factor:
     PS3 = Winner (There is a rumored chance that Final Fantasy XIII Versus can use your Final Fantasy XIII data in unique ways vs. no Final Fantasy XIII Versus on 360)

DLC:
    360 = Winner (Exclusive DLC announced vs. not on PS3)

Is this right?  Did I miss anything?  They sure don't make it easy to pick a version, do they? 
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Luke:

DLC = Avatar Clothing (and it's been confirmed)!  So much for EXCLUSIVE DLC, Square isn't stupid enough to piss the fuck out of their most important fanbase in Japan and release DLC for 360.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Still getting this on 360 even if it's the crappier version.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @Luke said:
    " So far, it goes:  

Cut-scenes:

In-game Graphics:

Audio:

Achievements:
    360 = Winner (Achievements vs. nearly worthless Trophies on PS3, until Sony gets off their asses and gives us an external XML Data Feed API + Auto-syncing online the second you unlock a damn Trophy)

The Versus Factor:
     PS3 = Winner (There is a rumored chance that Final Fantasy XIII Versus can use your Final Fantasy XIII data in unique ways vs. no Final Fantasy XIII Versus on 360)

DLC:

Is this right?  Did I miss anything?  They sure don't make it easy to pick a version, do they?  "
    And all I can add to this is WHO FUCKING CARES?!

Seriously, if we're getting to a point where Achievement vs. Trophy support and ridiculous attention to nearly invisible graphic details are the make or break points in deciding which game to get, then I feel like this generation has been a giant step backward.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uniform

I'm still on the fence, with "versus" causing me to lean towards the PS3. I realize they have all but set in stone that Versus will be a PS3 exclusive, but what happens when you throw money into the picture, as well as the possible success (sales) on the 360. How many 3rd party "exclusives" go jumping to multiplatform?  Not many, yet enough to make one second guess the exclusivity of exclusives.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Hailinel said:
    " And all I can add to this is WHO FUCKING CARES?!  Seriously, if we're getting to a point where Achievement vs. Trophy support and ridiculous attention to nearly invisible graphic details are the make or break points in deciding which game to get, then I feel like this generation has been a giant step backward. "
    I aggree with you fully.  The second UT2k4 was outsold by that trash Halo 2...I knew something bad was happening to the new gamer generation.  They think games like FF13 are a stepforward when it doesn't have HALF of what the older games had.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Hailinel said:

" @Luke said:

" So far, it goes:  

Cut-scenes:

In-game Graphics:

Audio:

Achievements:

The Versus Factor:

DLC:

Is this right?  Did I miss anything?  They sure don't make it easy to pick a version, do they?  "
    And all I can add to this is WHO FUCKING CARES?!  Seriously, if we're getting to a point where Achievement vs. Trophy support and ridiculous attention to nearly invisible graphic details are the make or break points in deciding which game to get, then I feel like this generation has been a giant step backward. "
    I don't think anybody is using them as a main selling point, you're blowing this way out of proportion.
    But achievements/trophies do add some amount of replayability to games and sometimes make you try out, or aim for certain goals you may not have attempted otherwise.

And personally, I like being able to track my progress throughout games.  It's fun being able to look back and see when I completed certain games and remembering the fun I had doing so.  Some people may take them a bit too seriously, but I fail to see how it's in any way a step backwards.  And graphics have been a massive factor in gaming since the Mega Drive/SNES days.  The differences were just as small then as they are now, but it didn't stop people arguing over which console had the better graphics.  That won't ever change, people need some way of justifying their purchases.

But I don't see the problem here.  If you own both systems, we need some way of deciding between the two.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
    @uniform said:
    " I'm still on the fence, with "versus" causing me to lean towards the PS3. I realize they have all but set in stone that Versus will be a PS3 exclusive, but what happens when you throw money into the picture, as well as the possible success (sales) on the 360. How many 3rd party "exclusives" go jumping to multiplatform?  Not many, yet enough to make one second guess the exclusivity of exclusives. "
    Nomura will NEVER make Versus XIII for 360, he had stated this many times in Famitsu interviews and that guy will NEVER make a 360 game.  He hates it with a passion and everyone knows he's a fanboy for SCE.  He even stated he'd LEAVE Square Enix if Versus XIII ends up on 360.  He's been really vocal with Versus XIII lately stating it's nothing like FF13 and will be like the older games.  He's basically confirming FF13 was a disappointment...go to any Japanese forum site and they'll agree that FF13 is the weakest out of all of them.  

The top wanted games on Famitsu every week have always been Versus XIII and Agito XIII.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uniform
    @KaosAngel: 

Not arguing anything here. Thank you for the information, as it is reassuring.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @KaosAngel said:

"He even stated he'd LEAVE Square Enix if Versus XIII ends up on 360. "

I hope it gets ported now, for this reason alone.
    1.  The guy is acting like a total douchebag.
    2. The series would be far better off without him.

Hate to beat a dead horse but...  no more zippers/belts/hoods, please.  It's not cool.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By vidiot

Make sense. Everything that they're said publicly recently points to warped expectations and perception, regarding their fans oversea's. I wouldn't be surprised if they released these shots believing that no one would notice. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

Hate to beat a dead horse but...  no more zippers/belts/hoods, please.  It's not cool. "
    Yeah well, when people want Versus XIII more than FF13 and Aigto XIII, Square has no choice but to listen to Nomura and his mastery at making AAA games.  Say what you want, but that guy is Square's own Kojima/Suda 51. 
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By uniform
    @vidiot said:
    " I wouldn't be surprised if they released these shots believing that no one would notice.  "
    It sure would be interesting to see how the doctored screen shots mysteriously ended up in press-kits. Was it a Spy, Ninjas, a Ghost? My guess, we'll never find out.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @KaosAngel said:

Hate to beat a dead horse but...  no more zippers/belts/hoods, please.  It's not cool. "
    Yeah well, when people want Versus XIII more than FF13 and Aigto XIII, Square has no choice but to listen to Nomura and his mastery at making AAA games.  Say what you want, but that guy is Square's own Kojima/Suda 51.  "
    Yeah.  Nomura's games are among Square Enix's most creative of the past decade, and he's not adverse to taking odd risks.  People lampoon him for his character design preferences, but the quality of games like The World Ends With You and the Kingdom Hearts series as a whole mean that Square Enix isn't as likely to force his hand on porting a game, particularly as long as they continue to sell as well as they have.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @KaosAngel said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @KaosAngel said:

Yeah well, when people want Versus XIII more than FF13 and Aigto XIII, Square has no choice but to listen to Nomura and his mastery at making AAA games.  Say what you want, but that guy is Square's own Kojima/Suda 51.  "
    I agree, Versus definitely looks like the better game..   I even think Agito looks much better than XIII itself.

But like I've said before, this is mainly because Square themselves seem to have no understanding of the fanbase.  Nomura at least understands that people liked the more basic gameplay.  Simple action based combat, like what we saw in Crisis Core and things like the world map, exploration, airships, etc.  Perhaps FF15 will be a retrurn to the more classic gameplay, in which case I'm sure the excitement would far surpass that of any spin-off.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By vidiot
    @uniform said:
    " @vidiot said:
    " I wouldn't be surprised if they released these shots believing that no one would notice.  "
    It sure would be interesting to see how the doctored screen shots mysteriously ended up in press-kits. Was it a Spy, Ninjas, a Ghost? My guess, we'll never find out. "
    Doing screenshot comparisons in HD is hard to do? :P
    I would like to hear from someone who get's press-kits, perhaps this type of official doctored weirdness happens a bunch. Although it doesn't deter my theory that people signed off on this, thinking no one would notice.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravensword
    @Luke:

the better in game graphics is really with a grain of salt, as we have had conflicting reports stating which has the better in game graphics. (IGN said its better on PS3, GS says its better on 360) so we really have to wait for reviews and comaprisons.
    uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uniform
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @uniform said:
    " I'm still on the fence, with "versus" causing me to lean towards the PS3. I realize they have all but set in stone that Versus will be a PS3 exclusive, but what happens when you throw money into the picture, as well as the possible success (sales) on the 360. How many 3rd party "exclusives" go jumping to multiplatform?  Not many, yet enough to make one second guess the exclusivity of exclusives. "
    Nomura will NEVER make Versus XIII for 360, he had stated this many times in Famitsu interviews and that guy will NEVER make a 360 game.  He hates it with a passion and everyone knows he's a fanboy for SCE.  He even stated he'd LEAVE Square Enix if Versus XIII ends up on 360.  He's been really vocal with Versus XIII lately stating it's nothing like FF13 and will be like the older games.  He's basically confirming FF13 was a disappointment...go to any Japanese forum site and they'll agree that FF13 is the weakest out of all of them.    The top wanted games on Famitsu every week have always been Versus XIII and Agito XIII. "
    Sorry for the necro, but I just have to say I'm not so sure now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.