Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Should I?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Afroman269

Just noticed that Final Fantasy XIII is up for $17 on Amazon. Just wondering if it would be worth picking up. I never cared for the game because of the massive time investment you have to put into it for the game to "open up" but at this price I'm willing to try it out, I guess.  And now I just noticed that Steam put up Dawn of War II and the expansion for $13...........AHHHHHHHH SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!11!1!!1

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I loved the game and sunk 150 hours into it. It's not as bad as people say. Give it a shot.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @xyzygy said:
    " I loved the game and sunk 50 hours into it. It's not bad. Give it a shot. "
    Altered to fit my opinion.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz
    @Afroman269: Playing through it right now. Well worth the purchase! 

You're looking at tens of hours worth of play for only $17!
    swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By swoxx

Or if you're like me, you'll spend 25 hours plowing your way through repetitive gameplay to get the story and then burn out and sell it to gamestop

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Afroman269
    @swoxx: How is the story?
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By luce
    @Afroman269 said:

" @swoxx: How is the story? "

Ass. If you're playing it for the story then you are going to hate it 

The fighting system is my favorite in the series though
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Akeldama

Its a great game. Get it.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ch13696

DAMN!!!! Thats a toughy. I want to say get Final Fantasy XIII because of the incredible story, but the Dawn of War II collection for $13? Fuck. Well....uuuummm... get the Dawn of War II collection. You won't see it for that much very often. Especially since it's a PC game that would tie to a Steam account. Meaning you won't find it used. Final Fantasy XIII, you will most likely find it else where for the same price. On sale or not.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By galiant
    @luce said:
    " @Afroman269 said:

Ass. If you're playing it for the story then you are going to hate it  The fighting system is my favorite in the series though "
    I found that I enjoyed the story a lot more on my second playthrough, when I understood what the hell they were talking about. 

Most people probably won't want to play through the game twice to understand it fully though, so unless you're a patient man I would not advice you to get it for the story alone. But like previously mentioned, the battle system is pretty awesome.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Afroman269
    @ch13696: Ya you're right. DAMN YOU STEAM!!!! I have less than 20 hours to make up my mind.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

The graphics and soundtrack are exceptional. The combat system is fun as well. The major downside to the game is it's poor story telling and writing.
    Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Cwaff

It's not half as bad as anyone says, it's not as good as various others in the series but that doesn't make it a bad game, I would pick it up!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @Video_Game_King said:

" @xyzygy said:

" I loved the game and sunk 50 hours into it. It's not bad. Give it a shot. "
    Altered to fit my opinion. "

Story took me 70~ hours, getting achievements took ~80. Mostly the Treasure Hunter achievement, which is why my Gamerpic is Fang because that's the reward. Very proud of that achievement. 

I couldn't imagine going through that game in only 50 hours!

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sixghost

The story is typical FF stuff, some awful japanese characters, some not awful. But the combat system is fantastic, I couldn't put the thing down once I started getting deeper into the weapon leveling and class combos, etc. There were times where I would spend 30+ minutes just setting up the classes, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't know why it gets all the hate. I did really miss the exclusion of towns. That was always my favorite part of FF games.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I kinda hated it. I can see why people rave about the endgame but the ramp up is such a slog and the story isn't interesting enough to make it worth it. The combat is pretty good and the graphics are great. That's about all it's got.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho

You can buy this game and suck on some sweet lemons trying to ignore all the shit wrong with it or you can play Resonance of Fate which is basically an FF game, except it doesn't suck ass.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By swoxx
    @luce said:

" @Afroman269 said:

Ass. If you're playing it for the story then you are going to hate it  The fighting system is my favorite in the series though "
    Edit: i was replying to the wrong game. Since i didn't get to far i couldn't really grasp the full context of the story but i at least felt that i was interested in how it was developing
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#19  Edited By EpicSteve

I thought the game was garbage, but if you need to scratch a JRPG itch.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By briggs713

I liked it a lot up until the part it opened up lol. I'm trying to bring myself to get back and finish it.  

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By babblinmule

Its probably my 2nd favourite game of the year, so I would have to say 'BUY IT NOW!!!'.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Animasta
    @ryanwho said:
    " You can buy this game and suck on some sweet lemons trying to ignore all the shit wrong with it or you can play Resonance of Fate which is basically an FF game, except it doesn't suck ass. "
    and costs 13 bucks more :P I say FF13 is great for 17, do it op!
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Marz

it's an ok game, it has good production values(visual and audio), the game is fairly linear, combat is kinda fun.  Story is meh, it could have been better.   Do i think it's worth 17$?   yeah it's worth playing through once.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By nukesniper
    @Afroman269: I jumped on that sale on amazon. Got it a bit ago and I actually kinda like it. This might be the second FF game I beat. Then again, I thought that about 7, 8, 10, 10-2, and 12...
    ___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ___pocalypse

At that price, totally go for it.  I think it's worth it, even though it isn't the best game out there.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pweidman

For $17, absolutely.  You can see the whole game in roughly 30hrs, or grind for all the stuff/achieves and turn it into a 100 hr experience if you prefer.  Summarily: the gameplay is solid, the story is very convoluted and confusing, and the graphics are insane.  Sometimes I just had to stop and marvel at how incredible the game looked.
    Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mattalorian

Final Fantasy XIII isn't an easy game to recommend. The critical reception has been very divisive, and that's largely thanks to the very unique and unconventional gameplay, and over-the-top-but-not-necessarily-flawed story and aesthetic. In my experience, the combat was mind-numbingly repetitive and dull, but I thought the story was interesting and worth experiencing, even though it was undeniably silly and Japanese.
    It really comes down to your personal tastes in gameplay, amount of patience for the repetitive combat, and tolerance for Japanese insanity.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I'd say get Golden Sun on the DS instead.  Some people love XIII, some people hated.
    Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, there's much better games to get, especially with all the current sales.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By super2j

for me i had a good time with the combat system ( note: i hate turn based), the game looks and sounds amazing, I didnt even mind the story despite its annoying parts and length of the cutscenes. But i found my self stuck at 

///////////// NOT REALLY A SPOILER BUT JUST TO BE SAFE.....barthalomew and after finally beating him, after a billion trys over weeks, the spiked white hair dude                         from when you are underground. END OF SPOILER\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\. 

The bosses became increasingly impossible for me. I dont know why, because i didnt skip any of the normal enemies. I felt like i was missing something and gave up because i couldnt move on. And i was so excited for need for speed.....i traded it in. 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#30  Edited By natetodamax

For $17, you should definitely get it and play it. The weird thing about this questions is that you'll get people saying that it's a fantastic game and then you get everyone else who claims it's one of the worst things to ever be released, which couldn't be any more wrong.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    @Mattalorian said:
    " In my experience, the combat was mind-numbingly repetitive and dull "
    So, so glad that someone else didn't like the combat system.  I was beginning to think something was wrong with me.
    TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TehFlan

It's a fun game. You should do it.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By 02sfraser

For that price I would definitely say yes. The numbers of hours you're going to get from it will be totally worth it.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Akrid

Slogged through 25 hours until it became clear I had to grind up another 5 levels. The combat is horrible, I'm kind of amazed anyone enjoyed it. I pretty well hated every moment of playing that game.

It's crazy how divisive this game is. It seems like some people enjoyed it though, so maybe you will too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.