Should I?

#1 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Just noticed that Final Fantasy XIII is up for $17 on Amazon. Just wondering if it would be worth picking up. I never cared for the game because of the massive time investment you have to put into it for the game to "open up" but at this price I'm willing to try it out, I guess.  And now I just noticed that Steam put up Dawn of War II and the expansion for $13...........AHHHHHHHH SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!11!1!!1

#2 Posted by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

I loved the game and sunk 150 hours into it. It's not as bad as people say. Give it a shot.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" I loved the game and sunk 50 hours into it. It's not bad. Give it a shot. "
Altered to fit my opinion.
#4 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
@Afroman269: Playing through it right now. Well worth the purchase! 

You're looking at tens of hours worth of play for only $17!
#5 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

Or if you're like me, you'll spend 25 hours plowing your way through repetitive gameplay to get the story and then burn out and sell it to gamestop

#6 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@swoxx: How is the story?
#7 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:

" @swoxx: How is the story? "

Ass. If you're playing it for the story then you are going to hate it 

The fighting system is my favorite in the series though
#8 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -

Its a great game. Get it.

#9 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

DAMN!!!! Thats a toughy. I want to say get Final Fantasy XIII because of the incredible story, but the Dawn of War II collection for $13? Fuck. Well....uuuummm... get the Dawn of War II collection. You won't see it for that much very often. Especially since it's a PC game that would tie to a Steam account. Meaning you won't find it used. Final Fantasy XIII, you will most likely find it else where for the same price. On sale or not.

#10 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -
@luce said:
" @Afroman269 said:

Ass. If you're playing it for the story then you are going to hate it  The fighting system is my favorite in the series though "
I found that I enjoyed the story a lot more on my second playthrough, when I understood what the hell they were talking about. 

Most people probably won't want to play through the game twice to understand it fully though, so unless you're a patient man I would not advice you to get it for the story alone. But like previously mentioned, the battle system is pretty awesome.
#11 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@ch13696: Ya you're right. DAMN YOU STEAM!!!! I have less than 20 hours to make up my mind.
#12 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

The graphics and soundtrack are exceptional. The combat system is fun as well. The major downside to the game is it's poor story telling and writing.
#13 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

It's not half as bad as anyone says, it's not as good as various others in the series but that doesn't make it a bad game, I would pick it up!

#14 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

" @xyzygy said:

" I loved the game and sunk 50 hours into it. It's not bad. Give it a shot. "
Altered to fit my opinion. "

Story took me 70~ hours, getting achievements took ~80. Mostly the Treasure Hunter achievement, which is why my Gamerpic is Fang because that's the reward. Very proud of that achievement. 

I couldn't imagine going through that game in only 50 hours!

#15 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

The story is typical FF stuff, some awful japanese characters, some not awful. But the combat system is fantastic, I couldn't put the thing down once I started getting deeper into the weapon leveling and class combos, etc. There were times where I would spend 30+ minutes just setting up the classes, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I don't know why it gets all the hate. I did really miss the exclusion of towns. That was always my favorite part of FF games.

#16 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

I kinda hated it. I can see why people rave about the endgame but the ramp up is such a slog and the story isn't interesting enough to make it worth it. The combat is pretty good and the graphics are great. That's about all it's got.

#17 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

You can buy this game and suck on some sweet lemons trying to ignore all the shit wrong with it or you can play Resonance of Fate which is basically an FF game, except it doesn't suck ass.

#18 Edited by Swoxx (3008 posts) -
@luce said:

" @Afroman269 said:

Ass. If you're playing it for the story then you are going to hate it  The fighting system is my favorite in the series though "
Edit: i was replying to the wrong game. Since i didn't get to far i couldn't really grasp the full context of the story but i at least felt that i was interested in how it was developing
#19 Posted by EpicSteve (6499 posts) -

I thought the game was garbage, but if you need to scratch a JRPG itch.

#20 Posted by Briggs713 (227 posts) -

I liked it a lot up until the part it opened up lol. I'm trying to bring myself to get back and finish it.  

#21 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Its probably my 2nd favourite game of the year, so I would have to say 'BUY IT NOW!!!'.

#22 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" You can buy this game and suck on some sweet lemons trying to ignore all the shit wrong with it or you can play Resonance of Fate which is basically an FF game, except it doesn't suck ass. "
and costs 13 bucks more :P I say FF13 is great for 17, do it op!
#23 Posted by Marz (5671 posts) -

it's an ok game, it has good production values(visual and audio), the game is fairly linear, combat is kinda fun.  Story is meh, it could have been better.   Do i think it's worth 17$?   yeah it's worth playing through once.

#24 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -
@Afroman269: I jumped on that sale on amazon. Got it a bit ago and I actually kinda like it. This might be the second FF game I beat. Then again, I thought that about 7, 8, 10, 10-2, and 12...
#25 Posted by ___pocalypse (554 posts) -

At that price, totally go for it.  I think it's worth it, even though it isn't the best game out there.

#26 Posted by pweidman (2364 posts) -

For $17, absolutely.  You can see the whole game in roughly 30hrs, or grind for all the stuff/achieves and turn it into a 100 hr experience if you prefer.  Summarily: the gameplay is solid, the story is very convoluted and confusing, and the graphics are insane.  Sometimes I just had to stop and marvel at how incredible the game looked.
#27 Posted by Mattalorian (594 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII isn't an easy game to recommend. The critical reception has been very divisive, and that's largely thanks to the very unique and unconventional gameplay, and over-the-top-but-not-necessarily-flawed story and aesthetic. In my experience, the combat was mind-numbingly repetitive and dull, but I thought the story was interesting and worth experiencing, even though it was undeniably silly and Japanese.
It really comes down to your personal tastes in gameplay, amount of patience for the repetitive combat, and tolerance for Japanese insanity.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I'd say get Golden Sun on the DS instead.  Some people love XIII, some people hated.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, there's much better games to get, especially with all the current sales.

#29 Posted by super2j (1797 posts) -

for me i had a good time with the combat system ( note: i hate turn based), the game looks and sounds amazing, I didnt even mind the story despite its annoying parts and length of the cutscenes. But i found my self stuck at 

///////////// NOT REALLY A SPOILER BUT JUST TO BE SAFE.....barthalomew and after finally beating him, after a billion trys over weeks, the spiked white hair dude                         from when you are underground. END OF SPOILER\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\. 

The bosses became increasingly impossible for me. I dont know why, because i didnt skip any of the normal enemies. I felt like i was missing something and gave up because i couldnt move on. And i was so excited for need for speed.....i traded it in. 

#30 Posted by natetodamax (19220 posts) -

For $17, you should definitely get it and play it. The weird thing about this questions is that you'll get people saying that it's a fantastic game and then you get everyone else who claims it's one of the worst things to ever be released, which couldn't be any more wrong.

#31 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3116 posts) -
@Mattalorian said:
" In my experience, the combat was mind-numbingly repetitive and dull "
So, so glad that someone else didn't like the combat system.  I was beginning to think something was wrong with me.
#32 Posted by TehFlan (1928 posts) -

It's a fun game. You should do it.

#33 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

For that price I would definitely say yes. The numbers of hours you're going to get from it will be totally worth it.

#34 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Slogged through 25 hours until it became clear I had to grind up another 5 levels. The combat is horrible, I'm kind of amazed anyone enjoyed it. I pretty well hated every moment of playing that game.

It's crazy how divisive this game is. It seems like some people enjoyed it though, so maybe you will too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.