Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Should I buy it?

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Witzig

I really liked FFXII when it came out few years ago. I've tried playing FFX but the combat was shit imo. I hear the combat is really weird in this one(FFXIII) will I like it seeing that I like the combat in FFXII the most or should I avoid this one? Also this purchase would be on the Xbox 360 if thats any help.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

My favorite Final Fantasy game! so yes you should absolutely buy it ;D

The one lame thing with the 360 version is the compressed cutscenes, but you'll survive!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

The combat in Dragon Age: Origins is more similar to FFXII than FFXIII's combat.  Though the combat is the best part of XIII, I don't recommend buying it.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Simplexity

I didn't really like it all that much, maybe I am just thick but it took a good solid 10 hours before I actually had any grasp of what was going on, and I had to read this weird compendium esque glossary to actually keep track of all the weird terms and stuff. the combat was neat though, I just didn't like the story or the characters all that much.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

It's fantastic.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus
    @CL60
    It's fantastic.
    Yep, I played it, beat it, loved it- and you should too.
    Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Yeah.  It's a really fun game.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#8  Edited By Dookysharpgun

Ok, I'm going to outline what FFXIII is, in brief, just the basics, so you know what you're walking into. 

A story that makes little to no sense, with no pretext to the events taking place. 

At least 30 (more or less) hours of the game controlling your party, in what is basically a really long tutorial. 

The combat really boils down to whether you enjoy sitting around hitting the A or X, depending on your console, button, while periodically changing paradigms to counter enemies. 

You only control your lead character in combat and the ally AI is deplorable, often casting spells at the wrong times, breaking a situation that you need, and the buggy combat engine then trying at least three times to rectify the error. 

The great abilities are buried under spells that you won't be able to access in later fights, and if you want the full experience from the combat system, turning down the speed isn't an option. 

The game is insultingly linear, going so far as to grant you one open area that has virtually nothing to do until you clear the game.

It forces you to backtrack through said linear corridors until you grind enough points to use in the Crystarium, which gives an illusion of choice, but you'll find that everything has to be filled before you move on to the next level of abilites.

The characters are vapid and empty husks, merely there to go along for the ride. Only two characters have sufficient histories for the player to relate to them, and because of the poor story, and lack of narrative, you'll never really find out what motivates them, which is depressing, seeing as they had seemingly human motivations, but the lack of depth makes the characterization pointless.

You're looking at a minimum of 60+ hours of mandatory play, maybe more to even finish the main game, seeing as more often than not, you'll have no choice but to grind.

Characters are given a variety of abilities, but you'll only ever fill up two useful ones, having a third just in case. The summoning system is ok, but it again involves just pushing a single button.  

The dialogue is just wrong, some of the sentences were badly translated and make little to no sense. 

Graphically this game is beautiful, and the character rendering is amazing.

A severe lack of exploration hinders what should have been an epic world, with a rich history, which instead turns into more linearity, with ever changing backgrounds, and slightly stronger enemies, who are just repainted versions of weaker enemies earlier in the game.

I know I'll catch heat for this, but in truth, I bought this game within a week of its release, it took me 65+ hours to finish, and when I was done, I said to myself "Hey...this game wasn't very good at all...in fact, I disliked it more than all of the other FF games I've ever played". Now that's just my opinion, and I thought I should let you know what you're getting into, because I sure as hell would have liked the same treatment. Now you might like it, but it lacks the same shine as previous titles, being crowned 'The Worst Final Fantasy', which is a bit harsh, since 14 was broken and useless, and Square released a public apology for it. 

If people like this game, fine, that's their cuppa tea, but for me, and a lot of people like me, this game turned out to be one of the worst experiences of a JRPG in my entire life, and that isn't an understatement.

And again, I know I'll catch a lot of heat for this, but I simply don't care: http://www.giantbomb.com/final-fantasy-xiii/61-20664/user-reviews/?review_id=18742 my review of the game, understand that this game took a lot out of me, and as an avid fan of the series in general, I was unhappy with the result. If it helps you in your choice, then that's grand, one way or another, I'm just looking out for you, so you don't part money for something you'll regret.

lockon_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By lockon_one

good game, just dont expect it to be like the old ff games where thre are numerous sidequests, etc

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @Dookysharpgun: I agree 101%. Personally, I found nothing redeeming in this game though. The characters do look nice and all, but I could care less when the story makes me want to punch every one of them in the face. Also, I couldn't even bring myself to finish the game. I got to the 'area where the game becomes fun' (HAHAHAHA) and for the life of me could not see what was so special. I would've quit sooner, but I heard so many good things about this one area that I figure I'd give it a fair shot. I get there and well...it's not as linear anymore, but it's still the same boring game in every other aspect. I did a few of the missions and said fuck it.

I don't put FF games on any sort of pedestal so I went into it without any expectations and what I got was just a horrible experience from start to when I decided to call it quits.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By time allen

1) no 
    2) finish ffx

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SlasherMan

I'd say no. It's mediocre JRPG, and a terrible FF game. It's the worst FF game I've played honestly. FFXII blows it out of the water, no comparison whatsoever.
    Combat can be nice (but has a lot of issues), characters and story are dull, uninspired and uninteresting, and worst of all the game is nothing more than a long hallway of monsters to grind with cutscenes spread out in between.

If the above still sounds like something you might enjoy, then by all means, go for it.

Zito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Zito

I liked it. Go for it.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Maajin

I just hit the 23 hour mark, recently arrived on Pulse. Enjoying it so far, the combat is engaging, and the story seems cool enough, except for the fact that I really want Vanille to die in a gruesome way.

I guess I am the opposite of you though, I enjoyed FFX but couldn't get into the story and combat of FFXII, so I don't know what that means.

If you're into anime and that sort of of story and characters, and don't mind a linear experience in your RPG, I'd say go for it. Besides, i'ts a fucking good looking game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Marz
    The combat is probably the best part of this game.  The characters and story however are hit and miss with some people.  I did enjoy it.  Though it's not in my top 5 Final fantasy games list.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
    @SlasherMan said:
    I'd say no. It's mediocre JRPG, and a terrible FF game. It's the worst FF game I've played honestly. FFXII blows it out of the water, no comparison whatsoever.Combat can be nice (but has a lot of issues), characters and story are dull, uninspired and uninteresting, and worst of all the game is nothing more than a long hallway of monsters to grind with cutscenes spread out in between.  If the above still sounds like something you might enjoy, then by all means, go for it.
    I'm the opposite. FF13 blows FF12 out of the water in my opinion. I thought 13 was fantastic and 12 was utter shit.
    jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaymorgoth

I think what you can glean from this is that the game is pretty polarizing and honestly falls in the middle IMO of Final Fantasies. There are some interesting things they do but to get to them you do have to go through quite the tutorial. The story is up and down but there are some interesting bits that I think make it worth it. If you are going to buy this game remember to read the codex as it explains a lot, have some patience as honestly it takes 20 hours to get to the good part of the game, and take a bit of time to get a feel for the classes. The paradigm system is really interesting once it opens up, I really enjoyed that aspect of the game. It's not a bad game but definitely requires some patience. I say buy it if your FF fan, if not then you might want to pass.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @PrimeSynergy: I know, I love when people say "it gets good 20+ hours in"...that isn't the way games work. Tutorials are supposed to be integrated into gameplay, and you can feel the game struggling against the players who are past the learning curve. It really wasn't an engaging game, and its nice to see that FF fans and non-FF fans alike can agree that this game was a total let down. Square just want to make movies, so let them. They can sink another production company with these pieces of shit.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#19  Edited By Soap

It's the worst final fantasy so far.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SadPatrol

I liked it but it was my first ff.

Ronin147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Ronin147

I would say go for it, other than some bad names for things I enjoyed the story though its not the strongest one in the series, but I enjoyed the combat and its a great game to look at plus that game is like $25 now so why not.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Grissefar

It's a fantastic game.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SomeJerk

It's a good trip and will keep you busy for 50-70 hours the first run through. Great value for money

Sourceguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sourceguru

The linearity didn't bother me and the production values are top notch. Battle system is great.  I stopped playing right when it really opened up but still plan to go back.  

RichMeisterMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RichMeisterMan
    @SadPatrol: Games that will blow your fucking mind await you.

@Dookysharpgun: Nailed it. I was in agreement on everything you said.
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Kyle

Topic creator says FFX is shit and a thread full of people saying FFXIII is great... my god, is it opposite day already?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By beforet

Buy it? As in spend money for it? I don't know, I enjoyed the game. But I also got it used at a discounted price. I don't know how I would have felt about it if I had spent the full 60.

Amazon is listing it at 20. I think that's a decent price.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AuthenticM

The game was made (in part at least) by the Final Fantasy Tactics guys. Gameplay is great, regardless of what people will tell you, and the story is chock-full of political high-drama. It's great. Buy it.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Obsidian

I wouldn't say it can touch FFX, but it's still a very fun game. It's easily worth your time and money, as long as you don't mind playing through a 60 hour game.

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By amomjc

It was a good game, the only thing I will ever tell people getting into (any) JRPG is that if you can tolerate annoying children crying and stupid acting characters then you will really like it. I have that level of tolerance so the game was bearable to me and I liked much of what it gave. It's definitely a game that will take a purchase too really engross yourself in as a rent will just leave you spending more or using up your entire Gamefly month.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @RichMeisterMan: Ah it's good to not get hate shoved right up my ass for saying that every now and again, thanking you :D
    rockinkemosabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By rockinkemosabe

If you want to trudge through 25 hours worth of gameplay until it gets worthwhile, go ahead.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jasta

Great game, buy it.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Kyle said:

Topic creator says FFX is shit and a thread full of people saying FFXIII is great... my god, is it opposite day already?

wait, is this an alternate reality or something?

sionweeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sionweeks

Of course, although the first 8-10 hours are a bit boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.