Should I worry about 5 starring battles?

#1 Posted by Irishranger (259 posts) -

Alright, so I'm about halfway through chapter 4 and I'm trying to enjoy things as I go along, you know, story, mechanics, combat.  I figure this game has gotten enough shit that it deserves to get a fair try from me.  I went in with no expectations therefore I've been impressed so far, but I digress. 

The one thing that's bugging me is that I'm having trouble five-starring all of the battles.  Sometimes I take an extra few seconds to play around with paradigms and other options during battles so I can get a better feel for roles.  I'm hoping this will pay off later when combat gets tougher. 

The problem is that taking those extra few seconds usually prevents me from getting a five star rating for the battle.  I sometimes think I should try using synergist/saboteur roles more, but that takes even more time. 

So basically, I'm wondering if I should be worrying about 5 starring battles at this point.  Am I missing out on loot/crystarium points by not getting higher ratings and that will bite me in the ass later?  Or should I just not worry about it until the game gives me one of it's not so subtle hints that I should. 

Any opinions or tips would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -

The stars just reflect how much TP (Technique Points) you will receive after a battle.  
They're not really anything to fret about. 

At least I think so.

#3 Posted by TheWadeBrigade (55 posts) -

Don't worry about it.  Until chapter 9 or 10 as long as you don't avoid any fights you can almost always max out or get really close to maxing out the crystarium before it expands anyway.  I'm pretty sure all you get for 5 starring battles is more cp so it doesn't really make that much of a difference until later in the game when there is an infinite amount of enemies to grind anyway.

#4 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -
@TheWadeBrigade said:
"  I'm pretty sure all you get for 5 starring battles is more cp "
Not true. Doesn't matter how the fight goes, you get the same amount of CP every time.
#5 Posted by Irishranger (259 posts) -

Cool. That's what I was thinking.  I figured I'd get to the obligatory FF "grind point" at some time and everything would be cool.  Thanks duders.

#6 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -
@TheWadeBrigade said:
" Don't worry about it.  Until chapter 9 or 10 as long as you don't avoid any fights you can almost always max out or get really close to maxing out the crystarium before it expands anyway.  I'm pretty sure all you get for 5 starring battles is more cp so it doesn't really make that much of a difference until later in the game when there is an infinite amount of enemies to grind anyway. "
Actually, I'm pretty sure stars have no bearing on the amount of CP you get. I think you always get a predetermined amount depending on the enemies and how many there are as long as you are victorious. 
Having 5 stars might mean more of a chance for a rare drop, but you don't have to have 5 stars to get one. I got one when I had a 2 star battle.
#7 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -
@Irishranger said:
" Cool. That's what I was thinking.  I figured I'd get to the obligatory FF "grind point" at some time and everything would be cool.  Thanks duders. "
Oh, funny you should mention that. I never went out of my way to grind in FFXIII. Then again, I fought every encounter I came across at least once. Never skipped past a battle. 
Enjoy the rest of your time with the game. I thought it was fantastic and that most people are idiots. 
#8 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@ESREVER said:
" @Irishranger said:
" Cool. That's what I was thinking.  I figured I'd get to the obligatory FF "grind point" at some time and everything would be cool.  Thanks duders. "
Oh, funny you should mention that. I never went out of my way to grind in FFXIII. Then again, I fought every encounter I came across at least once. Never skipped past a battle. Enjoy the rest of your time with the game. I thought it was fantastic and that most people are idiots.  "
You only have to 5 star battles if they are hunts(C'ieth Stones) if you want the trophy/achievement for 5 starring all of them, and the last form of the last boss (if you want that trophy /achievement) if not then go on about your way. ^^
#9 Posted by RuneseekerMireille (325 posts) -

I believe 5-star affects drop rates, but that is only really useful post-game. So, you're in the clear. 

Some quick advice if you don't know already: If you wait until the very end of your attack chain and then switch paradigms, you'll get a free filled gauge when the animation is over. This can be done every other move, and will dramatically speed up battle times, easily getting you 5-stars almost every time. At least, where you are, anyway...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.