Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

So I am about halfway until it gets good.

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GeneralZod37

At the point where they introduce the weapon upgrade system out of no where. When I saw how it was presented I get a lil peeved and turned the game off. Does anyone know of any clear and easy to comprehend guides for it and the character upgrade system as well? Thanks peeps (That's right, you're all sugar coated marshmallows).

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Enigma777

Protip: It never gets good. 

LittleBigJono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By LittleBigJono
    @Enigma777 said:
    " Protip: It never gets good.  "
    Yeah pretty much, riding chocobos is always fun though. If you still plan on playing through it all there are some pretty straightforward grinding guides for leveling both your dudes and weapons. Just google it. I believe most of the grinding can only occur post game though
    GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GeneralZod37
    @Enigma777 said:
     So sad. Was really trying to give it a shot. Don't know if I can stand 10x the crap I have already put up with. I'm no masochist.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @GeneralZod37 said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
     So sad. Was really trying to give it a shot. Don't know if I can stand 10x the crap I have already put up with. I'm no masochist. "
    You're halfway to never. Thats the upside. Nobody has ever been there.
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MrGetBonus

Oh psh, it's not that bad. I just wish they would change the combat system for XIII-2. That's my major gripe about this game.

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GeneralZod37
    @MrGetBonus:  The linearity didn't bother you? I really hated how it was: follow this one cramped path, fight, repeat, repeat, video, fight, fight, fight, video, boss battle. It got repetitive and dull and I am not that far in
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777
    @GeneralZod37 said:
    " @MrGetBonus:  The linearity didn't bother you? I really hated how it was: follow this one cramped path, fight, repeat, repeat, video, fight, fight, fight, video, boss battle. It got repetitive and dull and I am not that far in "
    Yea, the repetitiveness is what killed it for me too. There's pretty much only two things that break up the monotony - one where you ride that robot for like 40 seconds and when you ride a chocobo and both had a solid 20 hours of the same damn "walk forward, fight, walk forward, fight, walk forward, exposition cutscenese" gameplay between them. 

Honestly they could have cut out 10 hours of that game and no one would have even noticed...
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By tebbit

The ending is worth it. 

I always feel like I'm in the minority when people start talking about FFXIII, but I guess it's flaws didn't hugely concern me. I mean, the majority of complaints people have about the game are to do with how it differs from other Final Fantasy games, not how those differing elements stand up on their own merits. The only thing indefensible about it is the weapon upgrade system. It's never properly explained, it discourages using different weapons because the level of investment required to upgrade any given weapon or armour is too great to justify using anything else. It's just straight up tacked on! 

So, from my clearly unbiased stance, I encourage you to keep playing, eventually the story will draw you in. Fingers crossed!

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    @GeneralZod37 said:
    " @MrGetBonus:  The linearity didn't bother you? I really hated how it was: follow this one cramped path, fight, repeat, repeat, video, fight, fight, fight, video, boss battle. It got repetitive and dull and I am not that far in "
    That's exactly how I felt. It's almost comically linear until Gran Pulse, and even then Gran Pulse doesn't make up for twenty to twenty-five hours of crap.
    linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By linkster7
    @Tebbit:
    I feel the same way, the after watching the ending I had no regrets.

But again I was surprised how much I liked this game, I guess it depends on how much you like the combat.

You don't need a guide for anything if you just want to get through it, but if you want the best weapons and equipment there are plenty of guides here

ryden14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ryden14

idk i liked the linearity just due to soemthing always happening. I can understand how people get mad at the repeativeness bc it is indeed a rpg but overall i always was intrigued by the game
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By StarvingGamer

Any game that lets me use clever tricks to kill monsters drastically more powerful than me in epic hour-long grudge matches is awesome. 

FFXIII is one of those games.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By KarlPilkington
    @GeneralZod37 said:
    " @Enigma777 said:
     So sad. Was really trying to give it a shot. Don't know if I can stand 10x the crap I have already put up with. I'm no masochist. "
    I really enjoyed the game. 
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Demyx

The repetitiveness didn't really bother me as much as the fucking upgrade system, the story, and character development. I still haven't finished the game yet :/ I want to. But i just don't have the time. I love the combat though.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

I haven't played the game at all yet.  It's been sitting in my drawer with about 15 other games that I've yet to play.  Damn all these new releases...and League of Legends. 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to put myself on a dedicated "finish all those fucking games" mantra if I ever want to play Final Fantasy XIII.  My brother played through it, and he enjoyed it for what it was.  He and I typically like the same FF games (except VII...I fucking loathe that game, he adores it).  He's got the strategy guide sitting at the house also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.