Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Some advice on weapons, upgade 'em or sell 'em?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Bones8677

I'm currently on Chapter 9 on the airship, but that's not too important right now. The problem is, I am flat broke, and I don't know what to do. I've noticed that the weapons I've picked up along the whole game can be sold for a good amount of money. But I'm not sure if these weapons will become incredibly useful later in the game, once you upgrade them. 

So I need the helpful advice from those who are farther in the game or have finished. 

Currently equipped are:
    Bladed Lance lv. 6 (Fang)
    Power Circle lv. 2 (Snow)
    Gladius lv. 7 (Light)
    Binding Rod lv. 4 (Vanille)
    Airwing lv. 3 (Hope)
    Procyons lv. 2 (Sazh) 

Now what I have in my inventory are:
    Vidofnir lv. 1 (Hope)
    Gae Bolg lv. 1 (Fang)
    Axis Blade lv. 1 (Light)
    Spica Defenders lv. 1 (Sazh)
    Healer's Staff lv. 1 (Vanille)
    Lifesaber lv. 1 (Light)

Now some of these are made for specific paradigms, which is why I kept them, but are any of these worth upgrading or are they vendor trash?

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zitosilva

I can't really speak for any weapon specifically. I just upgraded my initial weapons and never bothered with any other else and had no problems in any battles. I just didn't seem to make sense to me to start upgrading another weapon when one of them was already so developed. Sure, you could probably be more effective if you use them more tatically, but I think you can stick to whatever you feel is best and have no problems beating the game.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By zidane_24

If you're going for Treasure Hunter, you should be keeping them, so you can upgrade each of them to second-tier.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

I recommend Hope's Hawkeye weapon, if you can buy it. You should have gotten it along the way though.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By gla55jAw

Don't upgrade anything yet it cost's way too much money. Also don't sell the weapons yet either. I would hold onto the weapons until you decide which ones you want to upgrade. There is an art to the upgrading process as it is very expensive and very detailed as how to actually do the upgrades. I'm currently power leveling before the final boss and I'm using Lightning with The Blazefire Sabre (I upgraded it to its 2nd form) Snow with Power Circle (upgraded to second form) and Hope with the upgraded Hawkeye (2nd form).

You should wait until Chapter 11 or 12 to even start upgrading the weapons and even then you won't have enough money to get it to it's 2nd form (each weapon has 3 forms). The weapons each character starts with are balanced in Strength and Magic, Others are higher in one and low in the other, others are low but have special status effects. I have the guide so if you have specific questions I'll help, but don't worry about that until chapter 11 or 12 as it takes alot of grinding and $.

dr_zox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dr_zox

Ugh the whole weapons and Gil system was a mess for FFXIII 

They didn't have any tutorials on it or anything you were just supposed to guess how to upgrade weapons 

My advice, use the first ones find and sell Platnum Ignots from side quests and find a Guide to do the rest
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Addfwyn

If you want to get Fang's theme/the Treasure Hunter trophy, then I'd save all the weapons you get.  If you don't care about that and just want to beat the game, stick with one weapon per character. 

Basically if you want that trophy, you'll have to upgrade every weapon (there's 8 per character) to tier '2' (where the name changes.  For example the Blazefire Saber becomes the Flamberge at tier 2).  You'll have to upgrade ONE tier 2 weapon per character to tier 3.  

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Psytek

I'm pretty close to finishing the game, and have upgraded a couple of weapons to their second stage. 

Based on the stats and how I use my characters, here are what I feel are the best weapons for everyone : 

gladius - lightning 
    spica defenders - sazh 
    power circle - snow 
    hawkeye - hope
    belladonna wand - vanille 
    dragoon lance / pandoran spear - fang 

the reason I list two for fang is because I don't think you can get her best weapon until after you finish the game, which seems a bit useless imo. Nevertheless, dragoon lance has the best stats of all her weapons. Sell any weapons that aren't the one's I've listed, and focus on upgrading equipment (the ones that raise magic and strength are most useful up to chapter 11)  
    Once you get to chapter 11 you can start collecting items and cp and start doing some proper farming.  

There's a good guide here:  http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/928790/59331 
    and here:  http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/928790/59442

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Brad

I went with the Axis Blade -> Enkindler for Lightning because it contributes to the Boost synthesis ability, which speeds up your ATB recharge by 5% per item. With the Enkindler and two other Boost items (I had Sprint Shoes and Aurora Scarf on her), I had all these effects for her in total: 

• +15% to ATB recharge 
    • First strike (begin battle with ATB gauge filled) 
    • Slightly recharge ATB on every hit
    • Auto-haste  in every battle  

With all that stuff going on, she basically never stopped attacking. When she was COM and juggling an enemy midair, her ATB would basically be full again by the time she hit the ground. That pretty much made her an unstoppable chaining/killing machine. :) 

Some of the other characters have weapons that contribute to Boost as well. Here's a good guide on synthesis abilities that might help you make your decision on weapons.
    AstralDisaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By AstralDisaster

Brad, dude. You're such a nerd. 

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. Hopefully it'll get here shortly after Easter. My fingers are itching.

ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ClownDetective

Man that weapons stuff is so unecessarily obscure and complicated. I hate having to look at guides for games, but this is the first I've heard of synthesis and I'm at chapter 11. And if I'm missing out on bonuses like auto-haste I guess I'll have to trawl the faqs. Annoying

Edit: @Brad: How did you get the auto haste? It isn't under the boost synthesis ability.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @ClownDetective said:
    " Man that weapons stuff is so unecessarily obscure and complicated. I hate having to look at guides for games, but this is the first I've heard of synthesis and I'm at chapter 11. And if I'm missing out on bonuses like auto-haste I guess I'll have to trawl the faqs. Annoying  Edit: @Brad: How did you get the auto haste? It isn't under the boost synthesis ability. "
    The first 10 chapters of this game was a big tutorial, they explained everything to the point that I just didn't pay attention anymore.  

BTW; the auto haste thing comes from an accessory you equip. Most people synth/upgrade/dismantle some other accessory to get this one, and its not auto haste, its start battle with haste. If the battle goes on for too long the effect wears off and you got to actually have someone with that spell to rebuff them. Still a good accessory but not as good as auto haste would have been. 
    ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ClownDetective
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @ClownDetective said:
    " Man that weapons stuff is so unecessarily obscure and complicated. I hate having to look at guides for games, but this is the first I've heard of synthesis and I'm at chapter 11. And if I'm missing out on bonuses like auto-haste I guess I'll have to trawl the faqs. Annoying  Edit: @Brad: How did you get the auto haste? It isn't under the boost synthesis ability. "
    The first 10 chapters of this game was a big tutorial, they explained everything to the point that I just didn't pay attention anymore.     BTW; the auto haste thing comes from an accessory you equip. Most people synth/upgrade/dismantle some other accessory to get this one, and its not auto haste, its start battle with haste. If the battle goes on for too long the effect wears off and you got to actually have someone with that spell to rebuff them. Still a good accessory but not as good as auto haste would have been.  "
    I actually really like the first 10 chapters of this game - I enjoyed spending long periods of time with each mechanic (from what I remember a whole chapter was full of enemies geared towards using sentinals). Maybe that's just cause I haven't played jrpgs in years, though this game really turned me on to them again.

Do you have any idea what the name of that accessory is? I keep coming up against enemies where the best tactic seems to be interrupting their attacks and staggering in first few turns - so that would be really useful. And yea, I assumed auto-haste meant starting the battle with haste.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @ClownDetective: Exactly as it sounds, Sprint shoes. I love the paradigm system in the game, but having played a crap load of JRPGs including Demon souls, I've become accustomed to learning fast in videogames by learning the importance of things in 3 minutes instead of 3 hrs to pound in my head things like use sentinal. Interrupting and staggering them are two different things (one is commando the other is ravager), usually people have a paradigm with both, but honestly when you can switch things out so easily I'd say use two paradigms going all out stagger or interrupt and just switch between the two manually. 
    ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ClownDetective
    @StaticFalconar said:

" @ClownDetective: Exactly as it sounds, Sprint shoes. I love the paradigm system in the game, but having played a crap load of JRPGs including Demon souls, I've become accustomed to learning fast in videogames by learning the importance of things in 3 minutes instead of 3 hrs to pound in my head things like use sentinal. Interrupting and staggering them are two different things (one is commando the other is ravager), usually people have a paradigm with both, but honestly when you can switch things out so easily I'd say use two paradigms going all out stagger or interrupt and just switch between the two manually.  "

I can see why experienced jrpg players would find it frustrating, and even I understood each mechanic way before they introduced the next, but I still enjoyed the first 10 hours. I'd rather a slow linear tutorial than 10 hours of aimless grinding. I wasn't anxious to have the whole system open up, and it felt more a metroid-y type progression for me. I thinkt he game more than makes up for it later too.
    Thanks for the tip, I looked up sprint shoes in a faq, seems like I won't get them til I've done quite a few more missions.

Edit: Thanks Brad, Boost synthsis is insanely awesome
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brad
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @ClownDetective said:
    The first 10 chapters of this game was a big tutorial, they explained everything to the point that I just didn't pay attention anymore.     BTW; the auto haste thing comes from an accessory you equip. Most people synth/upgrade/dismantle some other accessory to get this one, and its not auto haste, its start battle with haste. If the battle goes on for too long the effect wears off and you got to actually have someone with that spell to rebuff them. Still a good accessory but not as good as auto haste would have been.  "

The Synthesis stuff is really poorly documented, so yeah, I had to look it up online to tweak my characters that thoroughly. That's a big knock against the game in my book. (Maybe I should write that review now.) 

Sprint shoes are the item that gives you the auto-haste, and they also contribute to Boost, so they do double duty. Falconar is right though; "auto-haste" is the wording in the item description but in reality you merely start the battle with haste enabled, and it only lasts 60 seconds, shorter than if you had a SYN cast it on you. Then again when you outfit your characters properly toward the end, you can shred a lot of the common battles in less than a minute.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fallen189
    @Brad said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:
    " @ClownDetective said:
     The Synthesis stuff is really poorly documented, so yeah, I had to look it up online to tweak my characters that thoroughly. That's a big knock against the game in my book. (Maybe I should write that review now.)
    Oh God, don't give them fuel.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @ClownDetective: That's an interesting comparison which I frankly don't agree with. Metriod was still fun even with gimped equipment since I am involved in the jumping and shooting. FF13 on the other hand, once you find out you have to use a certain class to get through these enemies (say sent, or whatever), I'm just pressing X over and over again. At least in past FF (or any RPG much less JRPG) I was more involved in the game by having to micro my guys (yes it is also pressing X over and over, but the involvement is the choice I'm making).  

@Fallen189: I love FF and I respect them for doing the paradigm thing which was a big gamble, but honestly the game is far from perfect but also in no way a bad game as well. Like any other big name game out there, there will always be people that love it and others that hate it. The only big difference is FF13 will actually get the scores is deserves as opposed to over hyped games just because the whole JRPG (even though FF13 plays nothing like a traditional JRPG) genre isn't mainstream popular. 
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fallen189
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @ClownDetective: That's an interesting comparison which I frankly don't agree with. Metriod was still fun even with gimped equipment since I am involved in the jumping and shooting. FF13 on the other hand, once you find out you have to use a certain class to get through these enemies (say sent, or whatever), I'm just pressing X over and over again. At least in past FF (or any RPG much less JRPG) I was more involved in the game by having to micro my guys (yes it is also pressing X over and over, but the involvement is the choice I'm making).  

@Fallen189: I love FF and I respect them for doing the paradigm thing which was a big gamble, but honestly the game is far from perfect but also in no way a bad game as well. Like any other big name game out there, there will always be people that love it and others that hate it. The only big difference is FF13 will actually get the scores is deserves as opposed to over hyped games just because the whole JRPG (even though FF13 plays nothing like a traditional JRPG) genre isn't mainstream popular.  "
    I like it, but the difficulty spikes get so insane sometimes. I just hit the end boss of Chapter 11, and it's destroying me. Some bosses are just fucking insane :(
    ClownDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ClownDetective
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @ClownDetective: That's an interesting comparison which I frankly don't agree with. Metriod was still fun even with gimped equipment since I am involved in the jumping and shooting. FF13 on the other hand, once you find out you have to use a certain class to get through these enemies (say sent, or whatever), I'm just pressing X over and over again. At least in past FF (or any RPG much less JRPG) I was more involved in the game by having to micro my guys (yes it is also pressing X over and over, but the involvement is the choice I'm making).  

I still found the early combat fun - sure it was easy, but there was still enough to experiment with for me playing with two characers. I just don't understand the idea that this game 'gets good' around the 10 hour mark. For me, it was all about soaking in the atmosphere and building up the characters and story and I think it did a good job of that. It made the game really accissible and it feels like once things do open up that you've earned it in some sense. It gave the game a great sense of progression which i think it's all about.

If they'd opened the combat system up in the first two hours I think a lot of people would never have bothered with things like sentinals, buffs, or the wide variety of paradigms and just brute forced their way through the game. That, or been swamped by the fast nature and given up early on. It's a pretty great battle system, and I don't think people would have realised it without the gradual pace.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Fallen189: I dunno, I had trouble with a couple of bosses (both in chapter 11) but I managed to get them after a few tries being under-leveled and under-geared. I don't think there is a single boss in the main story I would call fucking insane. Maybe it's because I play a shit ton of RPGs (some of which have been pretty brutal), I dunno, but I thought the difficulty curve was excellent through-out the game. 
    Chaossebba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Chaossebba
    @Fallen189 said:
    " @StaticFalconar said:

@Fallen189: I love FF and I respect them for doing the paradigm thing which was a big gamble, but honestly the game is far from perfect but also in no way a bad game as well. Like any other big name game out there, there will always be people that love it and others that hate it. The only big difference is FF13 will actually get the scores is deserves as opposed to over hyped games just because the whole JRPG (even though FF13 plays nothing like a traditional JRPG) genre isn't mainstream popular.  "
    I like it, but the difficulty spikes get so insane sometimes. I just hit the end boss of Chapter 11, and it's destroying me. Some bosses are just fucking insane :( "
    It was at that boss where i started upgrading my weapons, after some farming and sidequests. Got fooked in the bottom like 5 times, after upgrading i killed him in about 2 minutes.
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fallen189
    @Zenaxzd said:
    " @Fallen189: I dunno, I had trouble with a couple of bosses (both in chapter 11) but I managed to get them after a few tries being under-leveled and under-geared. I don't think there is a single boss in the main story I would call fucking insane. Maybe it's because I play a shit ton of RPGs (some of which have been pretty brutal), I dunno, but I thought the difficulty curve was excellent through-out the game.  "
    Was for me, i guess. I play a LOT of rpgs too. It's just like...

Just seems inconsistent. But I'm just used to the incredibly high polish of the Persona games, I guess.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Fallen189: Yeah, no idea what to say really, I did not experience this at all. I died twice on the tower boss, and then 5 or 6 times against the final boss of chapter 11 before simply changing who I played as and got it on like my first try. Nothing ever felt unbeatable or insane for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.