Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Stick with it

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By normalpants

The beginning leaves an awful first impression but seems to get interesting around the 5 hour mark.  Ultimately, I wish I could recommend a game without a qualifier that requires blind faith, but I think it gets good enough to justify it.   

Also, is Chris Hansen going to track me down if I think Vanille is cute? Japanese artists are crafty. 

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By RainVillain

I think Vanille is 18.

I agree with you TC about the game improving. It's a little unfortunate that the opening couple hours are sortof bland and restrictive. Personally, the turning point was when they allowed us to gain Crystarium Points. Funnily enough, had they simply allowed it right from the start (and seriously why wouldn't they???) I think the beginning would have been much more enjoyable.

Hearing Brad's sentiments on this week's Bombcast are quite fair (linear, easy battle system), but I'm really hoping he'll stick with it, because the game gets pretty fantastic imo. 

Ultimately, I wish I could recommend a game without a qualifier that requires blind faith, but I think it gets good enough to justify it.

I couldn't agree more. You seem like a cool dude! :P
     What are your fave FFs?
    My top 3 would probably be:
    IX
    VIII
    IV
    Though I enjoyed pretty much all of them except II, III and XII (never tried XI)

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " (and seriously why wouldn't they???) "
    Story purposes actually is why you can not change classes and gain points and use magic and so on.
    RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By RainVillain
    @Zenaxzd: I agree with you, but there's no reason we can't be gaining those CP anyways, even if we can't actually use them til later (iirc: X gave you a couple battles of XP before introducing the sphere grid but my memory could be lazy). 
    It's just WAY too long to be doing something without any meaningful incentive. Having about 2 hours or so of combat under my belt, it would have been nice for that to translate into CP, or at least money or something. 

And I don't really buy "story purposes" as an excuse. For not being able to access the Crystarium, sure. But not earning CP? No fun =/
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @bigmuffpi: Yes, I am not saying it was the best design choice but from a story perspective it makes perfect sense. I think since those first few hours you are mostly controlling Snow and Lightning it should of actually been open anyway for the Commando job. However, I honestly had a lot of fun just timing when to use blitz vs normal attacks at the start of the game so I could of cared less.
    ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I would like to get into this game, but I just don't have near enough time.

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By normalpants
    @bigmuffpi said:

Ultimately, I wish I could recommend a game without a qualifier that requires blind faith, but I think it gets good enough to justify it.  I couldn't agree more. You seem like a cool dude! :P What are your fave FFs? My top 3 would probably be: IX VIII IV Though I enjoyed pretty much all of them except II, III and XII (never tried XI) "

I'm not actually very cool.   
    This will be my first "modern" final fantasy if you start calling them that after VII.   
    Completed III and IV on my DS and could take or leave them, tried X briefly while staying with a friend but found the lack of actual gameplay to be annoying.  Now that I'm older I'm more accepting of less interactive games so I think I'm ripe to get hooked on XIII.  Also the combat system is fucking awesome if you stick with it. 
    ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ricetopher

Agreeing with/bumping this thread.

Seriously, at chapter 11 myself, and while this game is by no means perfect at all, some of this hate seems a bit extreme, especially since most of the FFXIII board is covered in topics shitting on it.

Sucks for a game to require some endurance to become more enjoyable, but those who are doubting/having little enjoyment early, stick with it.

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SquirrelGOD

You know, I'm definitely going to pick this game up once it's on sale in the $20-$40 range, so I don't want to sound like a dude that's just writing this game off and hating on it with no intention of ever giving it a shot.  But, when I sit down with a game, I sit down because I want to have some fun times.  I don't say to myself "Man, in about 8 short hours, I'm going to be having a blast!"  I may enjoy FFXIII quite a bit, but people need to stop making excuses for it.  "Building up a story" and "A game having a poor start" are two completely different things.

BJorje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BJorje
    @bigmuffpi said:
    " Funnily enough, had they simply allowed it right from the start (and seriously why wouldn't they???) I think the beginning would have been much more enjoyable. 
    Hearing Brad's sentiments on this week's Bombcast are quite fair (linear, easy battle system), but I'm really hoping he'll stick with it, because the game gets pretty fantastic imo. 

Heck yeah. I can understand the plot reason for restricting magic, but not really any reason for keeping paradigms away. Just give each character a basic set of shifting class abilities and then you've all but solved the problem. Only "attack" and "skill" for three hours in a game this linear just doesn't work. Throw in a few curveballs to break up the "Up on the left stick, mash X, rinse, repeat" monotony and you have a fun start.

I've already started to see hints of fantastic, so I hope you're right about the second bit.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Meowayne
    @normalpants said:

"The beginning leaves an awful first impression but seems to get interesting around the 5 hour mark."

Every second JRPG described right there.
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By luce
    @bigmuffpi: 
    Vanille is 19 (or so squenix claims..)

She acts like a child though..atleast so far (8 hours in)
    SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By SBYM

Hours of boring gameplay to get to something worthwhile just isn't cool.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fripplebubby

So should I just tape my "a" button down and go sleep or something for the first 5 hours?

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shinri
    @Fripplebubby said:
    "So should I just tape my "a" button down and go sleep or something for the first 5 hours? "

No, you'd be in the same place you left off. 

I agree, the games does become very enjoyable. It's a shame they relied on the player knowing what systems are in the game, someone buying with no prior knowledge would be really put off.
    inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inkeiren

I like Final Fantasy. I really do. But the idea of wading through boring content to get to a good part is really disappointing.  I know people don't like comparing games and movies or books, but have you ever heard anyone say "Oh yeah, this movie is great, just wade through the first hour, it's really boring, but the last hour is fantastic!"

At this point I'm just going to buy FFXIII used when the price drops.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Supermarius
    @normalpants:  anyone else notice how many kind-of inappropriate hugs Vanille gives Hope? No wonder he seems really distracted. Lord knows i would be.

Also, im guessing this game would have benefited from a combat abili-tease so that gamers could see early on the complexity and difficulty of battle that was in store.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Addfwyn

Vanille is 19, so it's okay.  Yeah, the game does start slowly though.  Now that said, the people who are like "zomg it's such a chore" to get through the first few hours, it really isn't.  Yes, it's mostly plot and dialogue, but it's not like the first few hours are totally non-enjoyable garbage.

Also about Vanille  (NOT KIDDING THAT THIS IS A SPOILER, don't click it if you don't know.  Seriously, I am not liable). 

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Totally agree with the OP... the game is a real slow burner. But it get's pretty awesome half way through the game or so. I don't think it deserves all the flack it got thrown at it.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By veektarius

I can deal with waiting five hours for excitement, so far this post is convincing me to buy the game.  Anyone want to argue against the game past five hours to dissuade me?

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fentonalpha
    @normalpants said:
    "

Also, is Chris Hansen going to track me down if I think Vanille is cute? Japanese artists are crafty. 

"
    In fairness this game has a lot of CP in it so he may just might.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Jeust
    @Veektarius said:
    " I can deal with waiting five hours for excitement, so far this post is convincing me to buy the game.  Anyone want to argue against the game past five hours to dissuade me? "
    No...go ahead it's your call. :p
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By veektarius
    @fentonalpha:  Do you mean Cartoon Pussy?
    fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fentonalpha
    @Veektarius said:
    " @fentonalpha:  Do you mean Cartoon Pussy? "
    Errr no... i actually meant the CP you spend on leveling up....
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By veektarius

@fentonalpha:
    My mistake.  Cartoon Pussy is a bit of a thing on this website, but now that I think on it, the phrase is actually "naked cartoon pussy".  Pardon my faux pas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.