Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

TeamXbox Review 5/10 but.....

• 88 results
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By FluxWaveZ

It's his job as a reviewer to finish the games he reviews.  No ifs or buts about it.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Funzzo
    @BD_Mr_Bubbles:
    Why is it that when someone rates a game that they have not finished people throw a fit? You don't have to play a game from start to finish to know it sucks.  Like there is something at the end of the game that makes up for the game being shit. And I am not saying that FF XIII is bad but if I play for an hour or two and don't like it then I doubt my view will change if I play it to the end. And remember it's someones OPINION not fact.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Funzzo said:
    " @BD_Mr_Bubbles: Why is it that when someone rates a game that they have not finished people throw a fit? You don't have to play a game from start to finish to know it sucks.  Like there is something at the end of the game that makes up for the game being shit. And I am not saying that FF XIII is bad but if I play for an hour or two and don't like it then I doubt my view will change if I play it to the end. And remember it's someones OPINION not fact. "
    It's his job.  It's what he gets payed for.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By CL60
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Funzzo said:
    " @BD_Mr_Bubbles: Why is it that when someone rates a game that they have not finished people throw a fit? You don't have to play a game from start to finish to know it sucks.  Like there is something at the end of the game that makes up for the game being shit. And I am not saying that FF XIII is bad but if I play for an hour or two and don't like it then I doubt my view will change if I play it to the end. And remember it's someones OPINION not fact. "
    It's his job.  It's what he gets payed for. "
    That. It's his job to play and complete games then review them. Not play half of it then review it.
    Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Funzzo
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Funzzo said:
    It's his job.  It's what he gets payed for."

So if he had done his job and played through then he would have rated the game higher? I know the ONLY reason this thread was started was because someone thought the game should have been rated higher. If I was a food critic and someone brought me a plate of shitty food I would not have to eat the whole plate to know it was bad!!!!!!
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By iamjohn

I've never finished WET but I could certainly tell you that it's a piece of shit that you shouldn't play.  I'm not going to deny that it certainly helps to finish the game you're reviewing, but so long as you can make a sensible argument that provides clear examples as to why you're arguing what you're arguing, what does it matter?  Especially in an RPG like this, if the end last five hours is awesome while the first thirty sucks, why should anyone play that when the average audience is only going to play through some of that horrid first thirty hours?  It's why I would never tell anyone unless I abjectly hated them to play Persona 3: The Answer. 

I'd need to read the review before I could decide if it was any good, but since it's been pulled, I'm going to guess it just wasn't a good review.  Though I'm with Funzzo on this - the tenor of this thread would be VERY different if he had given it a good review... by which I mean this thread wouldn't even exist.

CrazGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By CrazGamer

Didn't one of the editors on that site gave Tony Hawk Ride a overwhelmingly positive review?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Funzzo said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Funzzo said:
    So if he had done his job and played through then he would have rated the game higher? I know the ONLY reason this thread was started was because someone thought the game should have been rated higher. If I was a food critic and someone brought me a plate of shitty food I would not have to eat the whole plate to know it was bad!!!!!! "
    Holy crap.  First of all, that metaphor is total shit given the comparative topic.  And you're taking my response totally out of line.  I said it's his damn job.  He's not being payed to half-ass his work and post a review.  Imagine if all reviewers played half of every single game they reviewed.  That would make them no better than user reviewers.  If you think that he should be payed to half-ass his job, then you are an idiot, pure and simple.
    Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Funzzo
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Funzzo said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    " @Funzzo said:
    So if he had done his job and played through then he would have rated the game higher? I know the ONLY reason this thread was started was because someone thought the game should have been rated higher. If I was a food critic and someone brought me a plate of shitty food I would not have to eat the whole plate to know it was bad!!!!!! "
    Holy crap.  First of all, that metaphor is total shit given the comparative topic.  And you're taking my response totally out of line.  I said it's his damn job.  He's not being payed to half-ass his work and post a review.  Imagine if all reviewers played half of every single game they reviewed.  That would make them no better than user reviewers.  If you think that he should be payed to half-ass his job, then you are an idiot, pure and simple."

Im not talking about him doing or not doing his job, he reviewed a game he played through halfway this we know.  What im saying is that givin the low score of the game I doubt he would have givin it a higher score had he finished the game.  And I think the food critic metaphor fits well. A game is something that has many catagories to be judged upon as do food. And another thing wont a game usually have the same play mechanics throughout the game. If there had been some massive change in the gameplay or something like that then I could see people getting angry over a half-assed review but then again why would they be getting mad in the first place if they see it's a half-assed review.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@Funzzo: You don't have to eat an entire plate of food to know how the rest of it will taste, but a serious film or movie critic is obligated to finish. What if I was a film critic, and I walked out of No Country for Old Men half an hour before the end because of a technical problem and gave it a great review? That movie's ending was terrible. Conversely, what if, like Joystiq's review said, the last part of FFXIII is really good and the first part kinda stinks?
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By carlthenimrod

If Square-Enix sent them a borked review copy, then it is Square-Enix's fault.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#62  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles
    @evanbrau said:
    " @BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
    " Looks like they realized they screwed up  http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22240/Editors-Letter-to-TeamXbox-Readers/  I respect that they did this I dunno how the rest of you feel just my thoughts. "
    Thats a pretty crappy editorial line to take. If even Andrew Fitch the creepiest weeaboo around can't give the game more than 5 after playing two thirds of it then I imagine it doesn't matter if he plays the final few hours. "
    That wasn't my point the rest of the game might raise the score it might not regardless every reviewer should finish any game before reviewing it.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#63  Edited By KingBroly

I think the part that particularly hurt that review was that he just flat out bashed Final Fantasy XII from the get-go.  When you have to bash another game in a game review, you're doing something wrong.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By vitor

Seems the review has either been removed or the site's been hit by so many clicks that it's not working properly (more likely the former as all the other pages are loading though). 

Guessing they realised that publishing a review when your reviewer hasn't finished the game is just bad practice - Ryan refused to do it for Dante's Inferno and with good reason. 

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#65  Edited By ptys

I've been pretty critical of this game but I think I might cave and buy it!... looks okay.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By DeShawn2ks

Is this the same Fitch on the Geekbox?  If so that guy is a hater he doesn't do anything but hate all the dang time on anything and everything.  I am also pretty surprised he didn't finish the game before putting his review up.  In my opinion that is pretty crappy game journalism when you don't even finish a game before reviewing it.  It is rare but a game can do a complete 180 towards the end.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By sopranosfan

I probably won't buy it first day because the games that came out since Christmas and the ones coming out now make it like Christmas in March and I do have limited funds.  But as someone that enjoys a good JRPG I will probably give it a shot.

Cross_Marian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Cross_Marian

LOL TeamXbox removed the Final Fantasy XIII review from their website. 

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By iamjohn
    @DeShawn2ks said:
    " It is rare but a game can do a complete 180 towards the end. "
    Which is unacceptable for a game.  Even if the game is only four hours long (which this game isn't), why should I or anyone else have to suffer through two of those hours to get to the fun two hours?  It's one thing if the game starts off strong and then becomes terrible but again, the only reason this thread exists is because got a lowish score.
    DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @iAmJohn: True I will give you that.  I don't know how many times I didn't complete a game but traded it in because it sucks.  But what this journalist did was jacked I feel if you are going to review something you should see  it through to the end so you can see the entire picture.  I guess in the end it really doesn't matter because all reviews are is one persons opinion and I might not feel the same way about the game than someone else.
    BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @DeShawn2ks said:
    " It is rare but a game can do a complete 180 towards the end. "
    Which is unacceptable for a game.  Even if the game is only four hours long (which this game isn't), why should I or anyone else have to suffer through two of those hours to get to the fun two hours?  It's one thing if the game starts off strong and then becomes terrible but again, the only reason this thread exists is because got a lowish score. "
    No I actually almost never post review threads (check my history if need be) and yeah I included the score, but the main reason for the thread was because of my distaste of a review of a game that wasn't finished by the reviewer.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By xyzygy

They removed the review because all the copies Square sent him didn't work, it was apparently a "debug" disc whatever that means :S 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TwoOneFive

i dont think you always need to finish a game to knw you dont like it though. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#74  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

In rpg reviews do you actually believe on usual they play through the entire game?

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By asurastrike

They seem to have deleted the review. 

EDIT: Found a cached link of the deleted review from metacritic. 

http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=final+fantasy+xiii+teamxbox+review&d=715453890794&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=c8ffc63f,9acafd1

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " In rpg reviews do you actually believe on usual they play through the entire game? "
    The main story quests yes, side quests no, if they don't at least finish the main story then imo they aren't doing their job.
    Cynical_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Cynical_Gamer

Even so, if the reviewer played 30hrs of the game and didn't like any of it. That's a pretty damning indication of how bad the game probably will be. Big review sites won't give FFXIII low scores because they're in the pockets of SE's marketing dollars. I find it ironic that a lot of the high scored reviews out there for FFXIII give a long list of what's wrong with the game, but at the end of their reviews they still say it's a good game. I canceled my pre-order in favor of Yakuza 3 this week. Next week it's God of War III.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#78  Edited By MikeFightNight
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " If a game sucks it sucks, you know how the story is going/how the game plays way before 30 hours. "
    Yeah pretty much.  Plus it's his opinion, so he can't be wrong.
    Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Shady

That or, you know, it's just one person's opinion.

Also, if reviews dictate what games you buy then you probably shouldn't be playing video games.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80  Edited By pwnasaurus

so the game sucks and thats it.. can we get over it now?
    Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Shady
    @pwnasaurus said:
    " so the game sucks and thats it.. can we get over it now? "
    According to one person at least. Isn't that the case with all games?
    tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#82  Edited By tomte
    @Cynical_Gamer said:
    " Even so, if the reviewer played 30hrs of the game and didn't like any of it. That's a pretty damning indication of how bad  the game probably will be. Big review sites won't give FFXIII low scores because they're in the pockets of SE's marketing dollars. I find it ironic that a lot of the high scored reviews out there for FFXIII give a long list of what's wrong with the game but at the end of their reviews they still say it's a good game. I canceled my pre-order in favor of Yakuza 3 this week. Next week it's God of War III. "

well, a 5/10 should still mean that the game is average. So in this case, he should have finished the game, if it would have been a 2/10 i would have understood it, but now....
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83  Edited By TheHBK
    @avengedxsniper:
    exactly

I still dont get why you have to finish a game to review it.  I mean, this is not a movie we are talking about, its a game where you have to do something.  Should it not say something about the author's opinion if he didn't finish it because he didn't like it?  Would you finish a game you didn't like?  Other than for points?  Come on, you guys need to stop being so high and mighty on what can make a good review.  Finishing the game should not a be a requirement.  But they should play enough to give a fair review.  Seeing the ending probably wont change the gameplay or score much now would it?
    Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#84  Edited By Moridin

I am starting to hate review scores entirely. Metacritic only amplifies that hatred, and the fact that some devs actually get paid or get bonuses based on Metacritic rankings is horrible and moronic. My wildest fantasy is a day and age where people actually start reading what's written in a review, instead of giving a passing look at the score and going "OMG THIS GAME SUX" / "BEST GAME EVARRRR."  People also need to remember that reviews are the opinion of the writer, not fact.

Ten point scales with decimals are also friggin' annoying. Riddle me this! What exactly is the difference between, say, an 8.3 and an 8.4? Hmm? Yeah, I thought so. I can't believe people actually think that if a game gets a 7, it sucks. In a 10 point scale, wouldn't 5 be middle of the road? Average? Hmm?

Reading message boards sometimes seriously makes me ashamed to be a gamer...  End nerd rage.

Disclaimer: This is no way a response to TeamXbox and their score. Nor is it a response to anyone in particular in this thread. I just needed a place to vent, and I was here. So yeah. Also, I love you.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#85  Edited By ch13696

Yeah he shouldn't have to finish the game to review it. But I say ditch the review based on the debug copy and wait on the one on the retail copy. If they're saying the debug copy is messed up then they shouldn't post a review. 

Another thing is I'm really getting tired of scored reviews. For my regular reviews I'm sticking to Penny Arcade and Kotaku. Sorry Giant Bomb.

nywt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By nywt

If I may, a direct quote from Team Xbox in relation to the review and why it was pulled from the site. 

" The review was based on 30 hours of gameplay on a reviewable "debug" copy provided to TeamXbox by Square Enix. However, due to an unfortunate manufacturing error in that build (as well as a subsequent copy also supplied by Square Enix), the reviewer wasn't able to completely play through FFXIII to the end. "

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/22240/Editors-Letter-to-TeamXbox-Readers/  
    Anyone who is still complaining that the reviewer did not complete the game needs to calm down and see the facts. His reason for not completing  the game wasn't because he was lazy or had made up his mind on the review or anything of the sort. The game would physically not work and thus his playthrough ended. Given that he played 30 hours of the game, I can bet he was able to fully experience nearly every facet of the game except for the conclusion of the story. He would have played counts battles, experienced many cut scenes, and could have had easily determined HIS opinion on the game. If you're completely unsatisfied with his review, either wait for a possibly revised version to be put back on the site or don't listen to his opinion. Simple as that.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Asurastrike said:
    " They seem to have deleted the review.   EDIT: Found a cached link of the deleted review from metacritic.    http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=final+fantasy+xiii+teamxbox+review&d=715453890794&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=c8ffc63f,9acafd1 "
    Hey is there anywhere else this is posted this link appears to be dead,  I would like to read the original review.
    Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch13696 said:
    " Yeah he shouldn't have to finish the game to review it. But I say ditch the review based on the debug copy and wait on the one on the retail copy. If they're saying the debug copy is messed up then they shouldn't post a review.  Another thing is I'm really getting tired of scored reviews. For my regular reviews I'm sticking to Penny Arcade and Kotaku. Sorry Giant Bomb. "
    In this case i would argue that he should, people don't review films after watching 3/4 of it. I would agree if we were talking about a less linear game (like crackdown or something). 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.