the reason my girlfriend hates me playing this game

#1 Posted by tunaburn (2015 posts) -

Vanille's voice during the battles. It is soooo annoying. Not when shes just talking but during an actual fight. She makes all those little whiny moans and groans and whimpers and its driving me insane. It sucks that i want to keep using her as my medic/ravager. The main problem is my girlfriend who normally screws around on the computer next to me while i play games is getting even more annoyed than me at it. Anyone else find her fighting noises just plain horrible?

#2 Posted by ApertureSilence (1180 posts) -

Here's you solution: Lighning/Fang/Hope - it's the best character combination in the game. No Vanille required.

#3 Posted by thebatmobile (991 posts) -

That's a problem with every JRPG. It just feels awkward playing with someone in the room with me when they're practically making 12-year old sex-noises.

#4 Posted by tunaburn (2015 posts) -
@MurderByDeath: the only problem with that is i have a soft spot for sazh. i just like him personally so i want to use him. he is a synergist and that only leaves really  vanille with saboteur and medic available. i need a good commando as well so im using lightning. i could probably use fang instead but fuck her. lightning is cooler.
#5 Posted by tunaburn (2015 posts) -
@thebatmobile said:
" That's a problem with every JRPG. It just feels awkward playing with someone in the room with me when they're practically making 12-year old sex-noises. "
hahahahaaa i know, i feel so awkward sometimes when anyones in the room with me.
#6 Posted by Meowayne (6168 posts) -
@tunaburn said:

the reason my girlfriend hates me playing this game

Vanille's voice during the battles.
Same here.
Good thing nobody's forcing you to use Vanille from ch 11 onwards. Fang/(Lightning/Snow)/Hope ftw.

#7 Posted by tunaburn (2015 posts) -
@Meowayne:  ill use this statement again :  
the only problem with that is i have a soft spot for sazh. i just like him personally so i want to use him. he is a synergist and that only leaves really  vanille with saboteur and medic available. i need a good commando as well so im using lightning. i could probably use fang instead but fuck her. lightning is cooler.
#8 Posted by Xanth93 (510 posts) -
@MurderByDeath said:
" Here's you solution: Lighning/Fang/Hope - it's the best character combination in the game. No Vanille required. "
This.
#9 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2906 posts) -

I hate when games put repetitive voice clips in gameplay, it is incredibly annoying. At least sometimes you can turn them off, like DQ8 had a separate voice volume in options. Then just turn it back up when you sense cutscene.

#10 Posted by Computerplayer1 (1066 posts) -

Her talking is pretty bad, but holy hell, what were they doing in the sound booth when they recorded her battle VOs?

It actually sounds like they were just like, "Ok, look. Just go into the booth. Mark is in there already. Just take your clothes off and do what comes naturally."

#11 Posted by tunaburn (2015 posts) -
@Computerplayer1:  lol its pretty weird and it really does make it awkward to play with other people around. my girlfriend doesnt really watch me play games but she doesnt mind when i do as long as we werent using the tv or doing something already. but when i put in this game she gets so annoyed and then she annoys me by sitting there making fun of the game the whole i try to play it.
#12 Posted by Computerplayer1 (1066 posts) -
@tunaburn said:
" @Computerplayer1:  lol its pretty weird and it really does make it awkward to play with other people around. my girlfriend doesnt really watch me play games but she doesnt mind when i do as long as we werent using the tv or doing something already. but when i put in this game she gets so annoyed and then she annoys me by sitting there making fun of the game the whole i try to play it. "
Easy solution.

Turn to her and say, "Hey...sounds a lot like you."

Problem solved!
#13 Posted by Hailinel (25787 posts) -
@thebatmobile said:
" That's a problem with every JRPG. It just feels awkward playing with someone in the room with me when they're practically making 12-year old sex-noises. "
Translation:  "Derp."

Yes, let's once again boil a single instance of a character some people find annoying into a cancer ravaging an entire genre.
#14 Posted by tunaburn (2015 posts) -
@Computerplayer1:  i have actually in all honesty used that joke on her. to which she replied "well not anymore." and now we have not had relations in days. i shall not say that to her again.
#15 Posted by Animasta (14818 posts) -

honestly I just use Lightning or Sazh, and then Fang and Vanille. two sab's really can take down someone really quickly.

or sometimes I'll do two SYN, Lightning sazh and hope.

Snow sucks though

#16 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1524 posts) -

I agree she does make a lot of distressing sexual noises. But I did think the reason would have been you keep asking your girlfriend to dye her hair pink.
#17 Posted by calum_s_gunn (80 posts) -

AMEN

#18 Posted by Void_Wizard (42 posts) -

This is like the best thread ever. I always lol when Vanille moans during battle.

#19 Posted by tenfour (13 posts) -

My wife hates it when I play this game because of the repetitive music.  Actually, all FF games have had this problem. 

What they should do is just not have a battle theme. Instead, the area music for wherever you are should just become more upbeat during battles (dynamic music tracks).

#20 Edited by EpicSteve (6910 posts) -

I can't stand how Japanese characters emote.

#21 Posted by rjayb89 (7806 posts) -

Vanille looks annoying and I haven't even played my copy yet.

#22 Posted by ArchScabby (5877 posts) -

Because it makes you a NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 Posted by afrofools (1390 posts) -
@tunaburn: Vanille was my favourite character and I used her for much of the game (that I played - I got to chapter 9 or something). 

Her voice bothered me too though (in battles) and she always sounded like she was having some weird orgasm or something and it was getting annoying, and embarrassing, so I stopped using her. Lucky for me I could use Lightning + Fang + Hope and change characters as needed because I had reached that part of the game in-which you can do so.
#24 Posted by LiquidPrince (16474 posts) -

I like her voice, but I guess that's just me.

#25 Posted by FatalError (172 posts) -

Her voice never bothered me.

Also why not just wear headphones when you play?

#26 Posted by uniform (1836 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" I can't stand how Japanese characters emote. "
It doesn't seem to bother me unless they're speaking English. Even then, it's kind of humorous. I like to imagine Vanille is autistic.
#27 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

Your girlfriend is just jealous of vanille.

#28 Posted by Brad (4994 posts) -
@MurderByDeath said:
" Here's you solution: Lighning/Fang/Hope - it's the best character combination in the game. "

Swap in Snow for Fang as needed, but yeah, pretty much this.
Staff
#29 Posted by nobull6 (231 posts) -

It's actually Vanille's running animation that my wife hates. She told me last night, "I don't know how you can play this game" as she watched Vanille prance through town.  

She hasn't heard her speak/moan yet because I use headphones, but there have been times even I'm embarrassed by the noises I'm hearing.

#30 Posted by unclejohnny79 (689 posts) -
@tunaburn said:
" @Computerplayer1:  lol its pretty weird and it really does make it awkward to play with other people around. my girlfriend doesnt really watch me play games but she doesnt mind when i do as long as we werent using the tv or doing something already. but when i put in this game she gets so annoyed and then she annoys me by sitting there making fun of the game the whole i try to play it. "
I hate when im trying to play a game and someone makes fun of the dialogue
#31 Posted by Ironknight (124 posts) -

I had a Fang/Lighting/Sahz combo most of the game

#32 Posted by gla55jAw (2763 posts) -

I rocked Snow/Lightning/Hope for the end. I swapped Sahz with Snow for a little while when he was the only one with Haste. Post game I had to swap Snow for Fang for certain missions.

#33 Posted by elko84 (1225 posts) -

vanille is hot

#34 Posted by Clinkz (1116 posts) -

I like vanille.  I use her, Lightning, and Sazh.

#35 Posted by LiquidPrince (16474 posts) -

The greatest combination is Vanille, Lightning and Fang I've found.

#36 Posted by Catolf (2788 posts) -

Still using Hope/Light/Fang, so far the best combination for me.

I may swap in sahz cause his haste is a must.

but as far as Vanille goes i like her and her voice, i thought it was cute, maybe it's just me, people who like Vanille seem to be in minority.

#37 Posted by FatalError (172 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" The greatest combination is Vanille, Lightning and Fang I've found. "
As have I.
#38 Posted by tuque (43 posts) -

Vanille's repetitive grunts and moans are annoying, similar to

• link's shouting in Ocarina of Time 
  • and everyone in Left 4 Dead yelling "Reloading!" 
 And just like those games, while it's annoying, it doesn't ruin the game. 

P.S. I laughed out loud the first time I saw Vanille run! Wahaha!
#39 Posted by Cwaff (1316 posts) -

For the same reason my dad wondered what I was doing.

#40 Posted by TheHBK (5658 posts) -

Your girlfriend screws around on the computer next to you?  She sounds like a keeper. 
Anyway, I thought you were gonna say that she hates it because that game sucks ass.
#41 Edited by Tsukiyomi (81 posts) -

I was able to avoid using Vanille for pretty much the entire game (except earlier on when you have to use her) and found the best combination to be Fang/Lightning/Hope.
Unfortunately, when you're farming for traps during the Endgame, Vanille is a must because the Death spam (glitch?) makes those battles go by pretty damn fast. Also I accepted the last C'ieth stone mission, so all Adamantoise's were transformed into Long Gui's which are much, much harder. >.<
But that aside, her voice is incredibly annoying and she sounds like she's having a damn orgasm when:

#42 Edited by Dragon4234 (136 posts) -

Adds character to the battles. I like to spam Snow's ultimate Commando move to hear "THE HEROES ALWAYS WIN!!111".

#43 Posted by pyroisgod (81 posts) -

I'm still early on in the game but I don't find Vanille too annoying. I don't have to worry about people hearing her either. I have my trusty Tritton headset on whenever I play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.