Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Two concerns-

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Ferginator4k

I haven't played a proper final fantasy game since 6, should i go out and get this?

Ive had trouble with the difficulty curve of JRPG's before, i usually reach the part where the story becomes interesting and then i get stuck and cannot progress.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Addfwyn

Well, I'd say this is more challenging than some of the recent FFs, but you haven't played those.  I feel you should be able to get through it alright with some trial in error in parts.  There's a few really tough fights, but because you can't really over or underlevel, it's more a matter of strategy than anything else. 

So I think you can get through it okay, and there's always forums like this one you can ask for help if you get stuck.  I say that if you do like JRPGs and their stories, to go out and get this one, it's a very streamlined experience.  It's not as hard as like the SMT games, so no worries there.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Cornman89

If you're concerned about difficulty, FFXIII is simultaneously the best and worst game for you.

The good: There is no need for grinding in this game; in fact, the mechanics of the game prevent it by capping your level based on story progression. That means the game is balanced specifically for how strong the developers planned for you to be at that very moment. So, provided you fight most of the mobs in front of you, you will never be underleveled for a boss.

The bad: That means you can't brute-force your way through the game. If you can't kill some boss, it's not because you're too weak, it's because you suck; the only way to remedy this is to suck less. Also, because you auto heal after every fight, this allows the developers to make every encounter a challenge in its own right.

That said, though, I think you'll do fine. More than any other FF, this one tosses out a lot of what its predecessors did and just tries its own thing. So they'll be training you as if you were a newbie anyway. Give it a shot.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

People fail to understand it doesn't matter how many Final Fantasys you have played. When Square says "Final Fantasy", they mean "check out our next high-budget JRPG".

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Addfwyn
    @EpicSteve:   
    This is pretty much accurate, I love FF as much as the next FF fan, but that's really the only tie between the games.  It's like a stamp Square has to say "This means we put our best production values guys on this game".  "Also, it has chocobos"

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.