Was this designed by a bunch on monkeys?!?!

• 84 results
#51 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

Racist,

#52 Posted by m1k3 (1326 posts) -

I liked FFXIII. I only got 32/36 trophies on FFXIII though and i cant get the rest without replaying the game. First PS3 died with the save.

And i have FFXIII-2 ready to go.

#53 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11501 posts) -

Yes. It was designed by a bunch of monkeys trained in traditional Japanese Game design constantly snorting the purest quality cocaine known to man.

In other news, I still don't really have any interest in playing Final Fantasy XIII and this thread continues to confirm that.

#54 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1766 posts) -

@Seppli said:

You know what? The only way they'd get me back now would be...

'Dark Final Fantasy'. With Berserk-levels of awesome mature storytelling and blood and gore. A battlesystem with 'strategic dismemberment'. Essentially a melee-centric and much deeper VATS of Fallout fame. With an emphasis on cleaving through hordes of easily and bloodily dispatched dudes - a Power Trip!

And now - feast your eyes on some Berserk. Manly anime is rare, but it's out there...

Manly anime is the best anime.

#55 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

I enjoyed the game, so whatever, Hitlerchu.

Yep. I think it is a great game that gets a surprising amount of hate.

#56 Posted by benpicko (2002 posts) -

If it is, at least Karl Pilkington will have some new monkey news.

#57 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Grissefar: Nah, Fang sucks. I'll stick with Snow. He's a better Com than she'll ever be. Also most of my fights are 25 seconds to a minute. Just 5-starred the Proudclad (part 2).

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

I can guarantee you that the game has earned 100% of it's hate. In fact you may call it an overachiever.

I do think it's funny that people tend to turn a blind eye on many (and I mean many) of it's significant issues just because it has production values up the ass.

#58 Edited by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

@Enigma777

I swear, I'm thinking about holding a contest for a free game if anyone can describe the story to me in 10 words or less.

Cursed individuals fight godlike beings and save humanity.
Fucking annoying anime knockoffs grief Square fans in long hallway.
#59 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@Grissefar: Nah, Fang sucks. I'll stick with Snow. He's a better Com than she'll ever be. Also most of my fights are 25 seconds to a minute. Just 5-starred the Proudclad (part 2).

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

I can guarantee you that the game has earned 100% of it's hate. In fact you may call it an overachiever.

I do think it's funny that people tend to turn a blind eye on many (and I mean many) of it's significant issues just because it has production values up the ass.

Thats just the thing...most of these "issues" are completely subjective. FFXIII was my favorite game of 2010 and equally enjoying FFXIII-2 now.

#60 Posted by ick_bop (110 posts) -

The story never once grabbed me. I hated the characters through the entire game, but unlike you and others, the battle system did 'click' and I started to really enjoy it...after the godawful 15 hour tutorial sequence. That alone is why FF-XIII should only ever be considered an 'okay' game despite it's fantastic combat. A truly good game wouldn't keep you in hand holding hell for so goddamn long. Fuck, XIII-2 does the entire tutorial in a couple hours, proving that SE can actually do this shit.(I guess they were just trolling their fans with the original's extended prologue.)

#61 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Demoskinos: But they're not. The dialogue is completely awful. I'm not talking about the voice actor's performance. Those poor saps probably tried their best with what they were given. I'm talking about the actual words. I mean, have you actually listened to any of the sentences they speak? It's a combination of your typical wishy-washy follow your dreams bullshit (I can forgive that since it's basically a staple to JRPG's at this point) merged with severely antiquated word usages, some metaphysical mumbo jumbo and a whole lot of odd words that shouldn't be there in the first place. Also sentences are usually cut in half or parts are completely missing, usually for no reason at all. Don't even get me started on the world jargon and the names of shit.

It's like whoever wrote it had no idea whatsoever how regular human beings talk. It's baffling. I mean fuck, you can probably make a drinking game out of every time someone says "focus"

#62 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2141 posts) -

@Enigma777:

Have you ever watched anime? The dialog is often just as 'poetic' and shitty as in JRPGs, because that's just how the Japanese write. The best dubs are the ones that play fast and loose with the translation to ensure that it actually sounds good to an English speaking person, sadly a rarity.

#63 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

@Enigma777:

Have you ever watched anime? The dialog is often just as 'poetic' and shitty as in JRPGs, because that's just how the Japanese write. The best dubs are the ones that play fast and loose with the translation to ensure that it actually sounds good to an English speaking person, sadly a rarity.

Yes, I watch a lot of anime. I also play a lot of JRPG's. None of it has ever been that bad. None!

#64 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2141 posts) -

@Enigma777:

Yeah, the constant "cie'th, fal'cie, l'cie" crap got really tiresome, especially since they didn't feel the need to explain what any of it really meant through the story.

#65 Posted by m1k3 (1326 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

@Enigma777:

Yeah, the constant "cie'th, fal'cie, l'cie" crap got really tiresome, especially since they didn't feel the need to explain what any of it really meant through the story.

Yea it was pretty bad since it wasn't fleshed out in the story. But if i remember, they explained what each of those are in the game through a sort of codex thingy.

i dont remember which is which right now without looking it up, but when i played FFXIII i knew exactly what differentiated each.

#66 Edited by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@Demoskinos: But they're not. The dialogue is completely awful. I'm not talking about the voice actor's performance. Those poor saps probably tried their best with what they were given. I'm talking about the actual words. I mean, have you actually listened to any of the sentences they speak? It's a combination of your typical wishy-washy follow your dreams bullshit (I can forgive that since it's basically a staple to JRPG's at this point) merged with severely antiquated word usages, some metaphysical mumbo jumbo and a whole lot of odd words that shouldn't be there in the first place. Also sentences are usually cut in half or parts are completely missing, usually for no reason at all. Don't even get me started on the world jargon and the names of shit.

It's like whoever wrote it had no idea whatsoever how regular human beings talk. It's baffling. I mean fuck, you can probably make a drinking game out of every time someone says "focus"

Yeah because the word "focus" is part of the jargon that is important to the storyline. And if you think this dialog is bad then you've obviously not ventured too far off the beaten path for JRPG's have you played the myriad of NIS RPG's like Cross Edge , Trinity Universe , Ar Tonelico Qoga ? The dialog in those games is truly truly awful. Sure, FFXIII is needlessly wordy and hits you with tons of jargon like L'Cie , C'eith , Fal'Cie etc.... but the entire story is still very much discernible. And such dialog is pretty much par for the course with JRPG's anyways as they tend to be overly melodramatic anyways.

For as much as everyone rambles on about their fate, focus etc in FFXIII you could equally argue about how much needlessly pointless exposition was in FFVII about Cloud constantly dwelling in his past like some self loathing emo kid. Never was really bothered by the dialog in FFXIII. If its not your bag its not your bag but I don't think that makes it definitely "bad".

#67 Posted by benson (318 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

But they're not. The dialogue is completely awful. I'm not talking about the voice actor's performance. Those poor saps probably tried their best with what they were given. I'm talking about the actual words. I mean, have you actually listened to any of the sentences they speak? It's a combination of your typical wishy-washy follow your dreams bullshit (I can forgive that since it's basically a staple to JRPG's at this point) merged with severely antiquated word usages, some metaphysical mumbo jumbo and a whole lot of odd words that shouldn't be there in the first place.

And angst. Don't forget the copious amount of angst. The game often feels like it was written by Linkin Park.

#68 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2141 posts) -

@Demoskinos:

The 'Focus' thing almost sounds like mis-translation to me, because words like mission, task, charge, quest, calling, purpose would all sound more natural. Still, it's more likely just another case of Square wanting to be as obtuse as possible.

#69 Posted by Demoskinos (14591 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines: Its used as a specific piece of jargon in the context its used so I don't think its a translation error.

#70 Posted by Etnos (245 posts) -

Not having fun with it, What's going on Japan!?, I used to like you!

#71 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

i really enjoyed FFXIII each to his own i guess.

#72 Edited by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

@Enigma777: I tend to agree on the writing. Watching the XIII-2 QL helped me pinpoint more precisely what I dislike about how these games are written.

The problem is that characters speak overwhemingly in abstractions, which is pretty common in anime-style stories. FF tends to jump at the chance to philosophize over the most mundane of situations, but it's real easy when you break out of concrete reality to talk yourself in circles, which is what I've observed XIII doing a lot.

FFXIII's dialogue at times reminds me of Gundam at its worst. Actually, you know what - just watch the first few minutes of this.

#73 Posted by Laksa (240 posts) -

FF13 is the worst FF game i have played. But i beat it, 90+ hours for all the achievements. Zero traps and dark matter dropped. ZERO. All the characters except maybe lightning are incredibly annoying. I wanted so much to slice hope in half and then set his body on fire and feed the charred remains to vanille. The cutscenes got so annoying that i skipped all of them 10 hours in. No single character sweats, nor bleeds,Everyone has perfect complexion and hair and wears the same immaculate clothing throughout the entire game.

The battle system was what kept me playing, trying to better my times.Equipping different accessories,setting up the paradigms and timing the switching of paradigms when fighting is really quite enjoyable, and it scratches that jrpg itch.

The story? Laughable bullshit nonsense. Character design? Cho kawaii!! tetsuya nomura. bleh.

Sold the game the day after i beat it. Any FF game is no longer a purchase for me as long as Nomura is involved.

#74 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@benson said:

@Enigma777 said:

But they're not. The dialogue is completely awful. I'm not talking about the voice actor's performance. Those poor saps probably tried their best with what they were given. I'm talking about the actual words. I mean, have you actually listened to any of the sentences they speak? It's a combination of your typical wishy-washy follow your dreams bullshit (I can forgive that since it's basically a staple to JRPG's at this point) merged with severely antiquated word usages, some metaphysical mumbo jumbo and a whole lot of odd words that shouldn't be there in the first place.

And angst. Don't forget the copious amount of angst. The game often feels like it was written by Linkin Park.

Rinkino Pareku.
#75 Posted by benson (318 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: KURO LIN EMAS KIN

#76 Posted by fenixREVOLUTION (735 posts) -

If you played a game for 30 hours and didn't enjoy it, I can't imagine how you came to the conclusion to put 11 more hours into it.

#77 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

You spend 40 hours on a not very complicated game and because you can't understand it, you actively hate it. Hating it is fine but why would you spend the 40 hours on a game you hate in the first place? Just because people told you it got better after 25? Then you come to the forum, seeking attention, being a little bitch about it, blaming everybody and their mother, claiming to know the combat when I can easily tell you are doing something very wrong by using SEN. C'mon man, play a game you like and don't whine so much about the ones you don't.
#78 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@Grissefar Wait, so just because I'm using one of the classes in the game, I'm playing the game wrong? Does that not just prove my point about how fucked up the design is?
#79 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

I was kind of hoping the game would end 18 hours in, back when I played it. It felt very tedious, I hated the characters, hated the story, hated the world, and the feelings of absolute repulsion this managed to invoke in me was the last thing I expected an FF game to do. I generally like Final Fantasy games and SE JRPGs in general, loved all the recent FFs to varying degrees and I can generally tolerate the cheese, but 13 was just terrible. It's kind of messed up how a game like FF13 gets so much attention from everyone, while the Last Remnant which was infinitely better (though not without its own faults) was either ignored or dumped on.

Whatever the case, I wasn't going to let this game beat me, so I kept going in the hopes of perhaps finding something to redeem the time I wasted on it. I wanted to give it as fair a chance as I could. And I finished it. And no, it never got any better...

PS. Hope can die in a fire.

#80 Posted by Hailinel (23978 posts) -
@Enigma777
@Grissefar Wait, so just because I'm using one of the classes in the game, I'm playing the game wrong? Does that not just prove my point about how fucked up the design is?
No, it means your strategy is poor. Sentinels are purely defensive. What offense they do have is meant entirely to provoke enemies and take attention away from the other party members.
#81 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
No, plenty of excellent games have imbalanced classes/weapons/abilities because it's hardly necessary to make singleplayer games perfectly balanced. The fact that you didn't pick up on how useless the sentinel class is early on and kept banging your head against the wall for 40 hours does prove a point though.
#82 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@Grissefar said:

@Enigma777 said:
No, plenty of excellent games have imbalanced classes/weapons/abilities because it's hardly necessary to make singleplayer games perfectly balanced. The fact that you didn't pick up on how useless the sentinel class is early on and kept banging your head against the wall for 40 hours does prove a point though.

You still haven't explained exactly why Sentinels are worthless. I think that Combat Clinic (Med/Med/Sen) is a godsend and it makes you nearly indestructible while allowing you to heal your party almost instantaneously. It's great for those One-hit-KO moments, where the Sen will provoke the boss so he doesn't one shot your main. Certainly makes the game easier imo.

Also I didn't start using them until about midway of Ch 10. I wish I'd used Snow sooner though.

But that's exactly my strategy with a Sen. He's a tank that takes all the damage and agro while the rest of my party heals. Then I jump back into Com/Com/Sab or Rav/Rav/Rav so I can stagger.

#83 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:

@Grissefar said:

@Enigma777 said:

You still haven't explained exactly why Sentinels are worthless. I think that Combat Clinic (Med/Med/Sen) is a godsend and it makes you nearly indestructible while allowing you to heal your party almost instantaneously. It's great for those One-hit-KO moments, where the Sen will provoke the boss so he doesn't one shot your main. Certainly makes the game easier imo.

Also I didn't start using them until about midway of Ch 10. I wish I'd used Snow sooner though.

@Hailinel But that's exactly my strategy with a Sen. He's a tank that takes all the damage and agro while the rest of my party heals. Then I jump back into Com/Com/Sab or Rav/Rav/Rav so I can stagger.

You could try out something along the lines of the setup I gave you if you want the fights to be more fast and fun. You probably don't want that since it would take away some of your excuses to whine and so you can keep banging your head against the wall as much as you please instead.
#84 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@Grissefar Umm... I just beat the final boss in a minute and 47 seconds. Any faster is not going to make the game better. Certainly not funner. My problem isnt as much as the fighting itself rather everything that surrounds it. Stuff like the never-ending running around, the shit story and forgetable characters, the constant enemy respawning and the lack of any pacing whatsoever.

However I do think that the whole stagger mechanic is bad. If it was an extra thing, I could see the appeal, but as a core concept of your fighting system, it not fun. Plus it becomes tedious very fast. I'd rather see a more active-based system. Something like Legend of Dragoon for example. It would certainly fit the look and feel of all the flipping around and explosions that are happening on screen.
#85 Posted by mordukai (7141 posts) -

@Enigma777: I believe the current word you were looking for is Macaques.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.