Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

What I think of your precious Final Fantasy XIII, Japanese Import

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Edited By Willy105

First of all:  最終的な想像7は悪いゲームである! それは大きい開始から始まったが、非常に退屈、にない楽しみになった。 私はそれを終えなかったし、決して別の3Dを最終的な想像のゲームと買わなかった。

Anyway, to FF13:

Breaking through the front line!

The second biggest game this year in Japan has finally been released. Everybody raced home to play it, even if they didn't understand Japanese. Note: I do not understand Japanese.

However, I will attempt to explain what is going on in this game. The game begins with a fast moving CG sequence of a train going into a city, being stolen by some passengers that are not really passengers, escape into a city into a battleground. Sound familiar? Don't ask me.

Our protagonist seems to have a back-story haunting her.

The cutscene was very quick moving and introduced us to our first two characters, a woman by the name of Lightning with (weak) powers of flight and (very good) fighting styles, and an African American guy with an afro who I think is name is Sazh, who is comical and has a chocobo in his afro.

These two crash the train and escape it, only to be approached by a large machine, who will be your first battle. Now, I only played the 2D SNES Final Fantasy games and FF7. That's it, I did not play the later installments because, frankly, I did not care. The battle system in this game is similar to the past games I played, but feels very different. 

The game has a good amount of humor to keep it from being melodramatic.

The best way to describe it is the gameplay of the traditional FF battle system with the feel and visual formation of Chrono Trigger. The characters place themselves automatically along the battle screen, but it didn't seem to have any effect on their performance.

It was confusing to me seeing all the numbers in the battle. When a character attacks, instead of a single number appearing on your opponent showing how much he was damaged, a ton of little numbers appear depending on your attack. To me it was confusing, because it wasn't immediately clear how much damage I did (and I am not very good at adding all those numbers in less than one second).

This game has a TON of characters introduced in a very short time, most of them playable.

However, the battle itself looks fantastic. The menus look incredibly smooth and changes a lot. It shows you how much disc space they spent on the game. Everything is incredibly visually detailed, the menus shows different images depending on which character you are modifying, and even the save states look different depending when you save. It really shows the power the Blu-Ray disc has in creating 2D imagery.

Our characters ran thru a linear path during this part of the story, fighting enemies as they appear. When they got to a certain part, a cutscene appeared, giving a cliffhanger to these two characters, and we were then introduced to another character (some sort of blond man who was leading the attack) in another part of the battlefield. It continued this formula again when we met with other characters (two kids in the middle of the battlefield). They eventually united.

The graphics in this game are sharp and very impressive.

However, the most impressive part of this game so far is the graphics and music. They are absolutely incredible. The hair the characters have are incredibly realistic, and boggles my mind how they were made. The music is also incredible, sounding perfect for the scene for almost every note and makes the gameplay a lot better when matched with the music. Impressive considering this is the first numbered Final Fantasy without music from Uematsu!

There are a lot of cutscenes during the beginning of this game, but not as much as The Crystal Bearers have, having a smart amount of gameplay separating story points. However, the story itself did not entertain me or pulled me in as much as The Crystal Bearers, but that's mostly because there is a lot of dialogue, and the characters are not as immediately appealing as the ones in The Crystal Bearers. Hopefully this will change as the game progresses. Other than that, this is definitely better than that other game.

There is little doubt in my mind this story will be just as deep, complex, and confusing as other games in the series. But this one will definitely look better doing it.

Whether this game will be as good as past Final Fantasies depends on how the game gets later into the story. So far, the opening of the game is not as exciting as Final Fantasy VII, and the cinematics are not as impressionable as that game, but the graphics and music definitely carry it out well.

Would I recommend importing it? Not if you don't know Japanese. It's also important to wait as people begin to complete the game to see if the whole game was worth it, since I only got until about an hour into the game, and the game promises up to 60 hours of play. I recommend waiting until it is localized in your county to make a decision, that way we can all be more prepared to see what we are getting.

If you want to see more about it, I hear there are some people playing the game live by streams out on the internet, but quite frankly, I am not playing any game nonstop live. Ever. Most people would just abandon me by the 30th Game Over. It's not that this game is hard, but I suck at games.   
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Willy105

First of all:  最終的な想像7は悪いゲームである! それは大きい開始から始まったが、非常に退屈、にない楽しみになった。 私はそれを終えなかったし、決して別の3Dを最終的な想像のゲームと買わなかった。

Anyway, to FF13:

Breaking through the front line!

The second biggest game this year in Japan has finally been released. Everybody raced home to play it, even if they didn't understand Japanese. Note: I do not understand Japanese.

However, I will attempt to explain what is going on in this game. The game begins with a fast moving CG sequence of a train going into a city, being stolen by some passengers that are not really passengers, escape into a city into a battleground. Sound familiar? Don't ask me.

Our protagonist seems to have a back-story haunting her.

The cutscene was very quick moving and introduced us to our first two characters, a woman by the name of Lightning with (weak) powers of flight and (very good) fighting styles, and an African American guy with an afro who I think is name is Sazh, who is comical and has a chocobo in his afro.

These two crash the train and escape it, only to be approached by a large machine, who will be your first battle. Now, I only played the 2D SNES Final Fantasy games and FF7. That's it, I did not play the later installments because, frankly, I did not care. The battle system in this game is similar to the past games I played, but feels very different. 

The game has a good amount of humor to keep it from being melodramatic.

The best way to describe it is the gameplay of the traditional FF battle system with the feel and visual formation of Chrono Trigger. The characters place themselves automatically along the battle screen, but it didn't seem to have any effect on their performance.

It was confusing to me seeing all the numbers in the battle. When a character attacks, instead of a single number appearing on your opponent showing how much he was damaged, a ton of little numbers appear depending on your attack. To me it was confusing, because it wasn't immediately clear how much damage I did (and I am not very good at adding all those numbers in less than one second).

This game has a TON of characters introduced in a very short time, most of them playable.

However, the battle itself looks fantastic. The menus look incredibly smooth and changes a lot. It shows you how much disc space they spent on the game. Everything is incredibly visually detailed, the menus shows different images depending on which character you are modifying, and even the save states look different depending when you save. It really shows the power the Blu-Ray disc has in creating 2D imagery.

Our characters ran thru a linear path during this part of the story, fighting enemies as they appear. When they got to a certain part, a cutscene appeared, giving a cliffhanger to these two characters, and we were then introduced to another character (some sort of blond man who was leading the attack) in another part of the battlefield. It continued this formula again when we met with other characters (two kids in the middle of the battlefield). They eventually united.

The graphics in this game are sharp and very impressive.

However, the most impressive part of this game so far is the graphics and music. They are absolutely incredible. The hair the characters have are incredibly realistic, and boggles my mind how they were made. The music is also incredible, sounding perfect for the scene for almost every note and makes the gameplay a lot better when matched with the music. Impressive considering this is the first numbered Final Fantasy without music from Uematsu!

There are a lot of cutscenes during the beginning of this game, but not as much as The Crystal Bearers have, having a smart amount of gameplay separating story points. However, the story itself did not entertain me or pulled me in as much as The Crystal Bearers, but that's mostly because there is a lot of dialogue, and the characters are not as immediately appealing as the ones in The Crystal Bearers. Hopefully this will change as the game progresses. Other than that, this is definitely better than that other game.

There is little doubt in my mind this story will be just as deep, complex, and confusing as other games in the series. But this one will definitely look better doing it.

Whether this game will be as good as past Final Fantasies depends on how the game gets later into the story. So far, the opening of the game is not as exciting as Final Fantasy VII, and the cinematics are not as impressionable as that game, but the graphics and music definitely carry it out well.

Would I recommend importing it? Not if you don't know Japanese. It's also important to wait as people begin to complete the game to see if the whole game was worth it, since I only got until about an hour into the game, and the game promises up to 60 hours of play. I recommend waiting until it is localized in your county to make a decision, that way we can all be more prepared to see what we are getting.

If you want to see more about it, I hear there are some people playing the game live by streams out on the internet, but quite frankly, I am not playing any game nonstop live. Ever. Most people would just abandon me by the 30th Game Over. It's not that this game is hard, but I suck at games.   
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Not going to lie, the intro is almost word for word as the FF7 AC copy I own.  Can't wait to go back to Japan soon and talk about this game with all my crew and work.  OMFG, SUMMONING ODIN IS LIKE CRACK!

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Cornman89
    @Willy105 said:

"However, the most impressive part of this game so far is the graphics and music. They are absolutely incredible. The hair the characters have are incredibly realistic, and boggles my mind how they were made. The music is also incredible, sounding perfect for the scene for almost every note and makes the gameplay a lot better when matched with the music. Impressive considering this is the first numbered Final Fantasy without music from Koji Kondo!"

Are we... thinking of the same Koji Kondo? 'Cause that doesn't sound right.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions. Especially about the humor. Watching the livestream, the game looked veeeeeery melodramatic, and it's nice to hear different from someone who owns it.

Can't wait till March. Thank goodness Q1 is filled with kickass games, otherwise I just might go insane.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

How were you able to battle without understanding Japanese?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @KaosAngel said:
    Not going to lie, the intro is almost word for word as the FF7 AC copy I own.
    Weird yea, it sounds exactly like the demo...  is Willy full of shit or does it really start like that?
    Matte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Matte
    @natetodamax:  I've seen a stream for an hour and it's not too hard understanding the basics of combat.  The equipment/item names and new "sphere grid" are beyond me, but battles are mostly managing what type of set tactics your party uses and switching said tactics as circumstances demand.  Most of those are in english initials.  That being said, this FF seems to be challenging all the more so if you don't understand japanese.
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By DrRandle

Damn it I'm just too tired to come up with something mean-spirited to say... I will wait for this to come out locally so I can understand everything. :/ Hope you are enjoying your experience. Have a scientastic day.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Diamond said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Weird yea, it sounds exactly like the demo...  is Willy full of shit or does it really start like that? "
    That's what I just said...the intro of FF13 IS the FF7AC demo.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By ZenaxPure

Oddly on-topic my only response to your impressions are: SE does a damn good job at making good looking hair. Seriously despite whether people hate/loved FF12 you have to admit the hair in-game looked crazy good even compared to current gen stuff. SE needs to start sharing their secrets of hair to other devs imo.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EvilTwin
    @Cornman89 said:
    " @Willy105 said:

"However, the most impressive part of this game so far is the graphics and music. They are absolutely incredible. The hair the characters have are incredibly realistic, and boggles my mind how they were made. The music is also incredible, sounding perfect for the scene for almost every note and makes the gameplay a lot better when matched with the music. Impressive considering this is the first numbered Final Fantasy without music from Koji Kondo!"

Are we... thinking of the same Koji Kondo? 'Cause that doesn't sound right."
    I think he means Uematsu.  I could be wrong though, I don't know that much about Final Fantasy.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Diamond said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Weird yea, it sounds exactly like the demo...  is Willy full of shit or does it really start like that? "
    That's what I just said...the intro of FF13 IS the FF7AC demo.
    Oh I see, you didn't write very clearly.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Willy105
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Not going to lie, the intro is almost word for word as the FF7 AC copy I own.  Can't wait to go back to Japan soon and talk about this game with all my crew and work.  OMFG, SUMMONING ODIN IS LIKE CRACK! "
    I don't know about the demo, but I'm assuming it's the same thing.

@natetodamax said:
    " How were you able to battle without understanding Japanese? "

It's not rocket science. Just button mash. Besides, by experimenting, you can figure it out. Like I said, I died many times.

@EvilTwin said:
    " @Cornman89 said:
    " @Willy105 said:

Are we... thinking of the same Koji Kondo? 'Cause that doesn't sound right."
    I think he means Uematsu.  I could be wrong though, I don't know that much about Final Fantasy. "

It was Uematsu, my bad. It's really embarrassing to me considering I am huge fan of orchestral music scores.

Anyway, I don't actually own this, it's from a friend who imported it (who shall remain anonymous). I played about an hour of it myself, which is where this preview originates from. I got up to playing as the kids in the giant flying thing while on the battleground. 

If I get it or not will depend entirely on if it gets better from the beginning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.