When did you lose interest?

• 0 results
#-49 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

I have only got to about chapter 7 i think it was? About 9 hours in?

I'll get back to it after exams peobably.

#-48 Posted by Snuffy (146 posts) -

Yeah I lost interest around 20ish hours because I don't have time to play my xbox anymore and I started playing Pokemon.

#-47 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

I lost interest since Final Fantasy 8

#-46 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

30 hours in. Chapter 11. I'll probably start over at some point.
#-45 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1139 posts) -

I got to the final boss and, about 10 minutes in, it killed me with an instant death spell. This happened 2 more times, even after I bought and upgraded an item to make me resistant to instant death.

So I looked up the ending cinematic on YouTube and never played it again.

#-44 Posted by Maru (286 posts) -

I played about 8 hours and got bored... oh well, I will come back to it someday.

#-43 Posted by ShiningLily (3 posts) -
@LaszloKovacs: Aw, poor baby. Boss battle too haaard for you? 
#-42 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I'm still playing, albeit infrequently. I can't get myself to leave a game unfinished, and I'm still somewhat interested in seeing how the story unfolds. Couldn't give two shits about the gameplay, though, and I'm getting tired of grinding so I don't get killed in 20 seconds by bosses.  It's only going to get worse the further I get in. 

Around 38 hours, nearing the end of Chapter 11. I am never playing an extremely long JRPG again, unless it's Persona. 

#-41 Posted by LaszloKovacs (1139 posts) -
@ShiningLily: 

The inclusion of an unblockable attack that kills you instantly and hits based on random chance is a fucking archaic design choice. It adds difficulty for the sake of frustrating the player, since it can't be overcome with skill, but with enough repeated attempts to beat a random number generator. I play games to have fun, not to contend with poor design everyone else stopped using in the 1990s. So I moved on to a game that plays fair.

But by all means, please continue to troll as hard as possible.
#-40 Edited by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Im about 12-15 hours in and I've had enough, here is the formula.

Fight a ton of enemies in a row

Cutscene 

Cutscene 

Cutscene 

Cutscene 

#-39 Posted by AllenV86 (150 posts) -

about 14 hours in , and  yes i know : i didn't even finish the tutorial :D :D ;-)

Allen :-p

#-38 Posted by bhhawks78 (1202 posts) -

1.  When I found out it was a post 6 final fantasy.

2.  When I saw the creepy cliche androgynous characters.

3.  When defenders of the game flamed reviewers for not liking the fact the first 30 hours you are still held back in a linear way and not given full part/battle control.

#-37 Posted by Phaseshift (222 posts) -

at the end of the game when i finally realised it was over.

#-36 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

When the game was announced.

#-35 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -
#-34 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4286 posts) -

Oddly enough I lost interest as soon as the game ~cough~ 'opened up.' I struggled to get to that point thinking it would be the saving grace of this game that everyone made it seem like. 

It wasn't.

#-33 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

Back when FF8 came out.

#-32 Posted by Teclo (139 posts) -

To be fair, FFIV is strictly linear for most of the game and forces you to have certain party members for most of the game too.   It also has horrible characters that are totally described by what class they are so feel more like archetypes than individuals.

Anyway, I came into it with low expectations, having heard about how the game world is just a series of tubes that lead from one cutscene to the next - like FFX, probably my least favourite FF - but I thought I may as well at least try it out. I couldn't believe that not only was it that linear, it also didn't let you backtrack at all. At first it's like the old platformers that don't let you walk back to where you've just been as the screen won't pan left. Vanille and Hope annoyed the shit out of me (though again, Hope is only as bad as the whole non-Disney cast of Kingdom Hearts and at least he isn't the main character, like Squall.)

I just told myself that I had to see it as a long as hell movie with interactive parts rather than a expansive RPG world or I'd hate it. That outlook did seem to work for a while but after about 6 hours or so, basically during chapter 4, I was so bored and just felt like I was playing a roaming beat 'em up like Final Fight rather than an RPG. Somehow I pushed on and managed to see Vanille stop being so annoying and Hope stop being so emo. The storyline is also pretty good, at least compared to FFIV, FFV, FFVIII,  FFX and FFX-2 (kind of unfair to pick on the NES ones, I feel).

I've just got to chapter 10 and while I am interested in where the story goes, and have actually grown attached to the cast, I still feel underwhelmed by both the dumbed-down battle system, character customisation and believability of the world (not that it isn't conceptually detailed and interesting, but just how from a gameplay point of view, the whole world is just a series of tubes). Tales of Vesperia will be arriving in the next few days and if I don't complete FFXIII before then, I think I never will. Same thing happened with FFXII when Persona 4 arrived...

#-31 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I never lost interest. I'm at my second playthrough, I like the battle system.

#-30 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

I got back into playing the game again and I plan on finishing it.

#-29 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Never, still playing it.

#-28 Posted by Phototropic (67 posts) -

I've lost interest after finishing the story and some of the challenges, but I fully expect to go back to it at some point in the next year.

#-27 Posted by ErinIsADrunk (160 posts) -

About 60 hours into my second playthrough. I had this grand idea that I was actually going to go through and try to 100% the game but after I a while I just sort of decided it wasn't worth it and I had another games to play. I think I still might o back a finish up some of the missions but I have no interest in getting all the items and weapons and fully maxing out all of my characters.

#-26 Posted by Cwaff (1260 posts) -

I lost interest around chapter 11 when the game opened up, then I forced myself through it and by the time I finished it I was sorry it was over...

#-25 Posted by StriderNo9 (1082 posts) -

My girlfriend totally lost interest. She is on chapter 11. I got past that I'm on 12. I'm still down.

#-24 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

When it came out with the idea of a 20 hour tutorial.

I just got Resonance of Fate instead.

#-23 Edited by Nictel (2380 posts) -

I'm about 40 hours in, unfortunately I was unable to play for like a month. Now unsure if I should continue or just start over again. Especially since I totally made the game harder by using the upgrade system in the wrong way.

#-22 Posted by EVHKwick (452 posts) -

I beat it once, tried to do some of the hunts and farm Adamantoises, and completely gave it up. Don't play on returning to it either.

#-21 Posted by thatguy42 (86 posts) -

I lost interest after I realized I wouldn't be able to visit the entirety of Cocoon.  I persisted and completed the game, then I lost all interest after I unlocked chocobos.  I keep on meaning to go back and finish up all the Cie'th stone missions, but I procrastinate too much.

#-20 Posted by TomTheRealist (171 posts) -
@Illmatic said:
" @Meowayne said:
" 30 hours in, chapter 11. "
Add 5 hours and I was in this exact same situation. I got to the point where apologists were saying it got fun and was still bored so i sold it shortly thereafter. "
Add another 5 hours and chapter 12. Thought I could just run through it and see the story to the end. I should have known better really. As much as I hate to do it; at the core I think JRPGs just aren't for me, or at least this one and several others aren't. I'll be sending it back to LOVEFiLM tonight.
#-19 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2051 posts) -

I never did lose interest. I have recently stopped though with only like 2 more missions to five star. So close, yet so far away.

#-18 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -
@Dan64:  
I lost interest after FF7.
#-17 Posted by mubblegum (250 posts) -

About 2 hours in...

#-16 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

I'll join in the h8 train

2 minutez iiinnnnn.

Nah, for me, it was more like 100 hours. :P

#-15 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -

After five hours, I had had no fun, so I quit.

#-14 Posted by Clinkz (1118 posts) -

In the last dungeon and I'm enjoying it still.

#-13 Posted by gasgesgos (8 posts) -

I got about 60 hours in, beat the game, did the first half of the missions. I saw how much CP grinding would be required to finish a character completely and said 'meh'... I started Agarest War to fill the 'exp grinding' need.

#-12 Posted by tutuboy95 (90 posts) -

Beat the game and still haven't. I'm aiming for completion. Despite having some faults, I'm finding this Final Fantasy very enjoyable to play for hours straight. In the rare occurrence I lose to a boss, I still have a fun time concocting a paradigm set that takes it down.

#-11 Posted by eccelex (33 posts) -

I bought the game on release, because I'm a massive Final Fantasy-ophile despite myself, and i still haven't got round to finishing it. It's not that I lost interest - the story never particularly grabbed me anyway - i think it's more of a stamina thing. I'm now running around in the cradle getting mighty sick of the game throwing up another half hour's worth of terrain just as you think you've reached the fal'Cie, the sunovabitch. I just save it right there and leave it for another week or so until i've got another few hours to sit and play.

It is good though. Just a little too time absorbing.
Or maybe I'm just getting old...

#-10 Posted by Toomz (22 posts) -

I feel as if the game never got old at a specific moment, just at certain parts...if that makes sense. There were times when I simply did not want to play the game, and that could last anywhere from a few days to weeks. I finally got around to plowing through the last 15 hours of the game at the beginning of June, and man was that exhausting. I think Brad said something like "I just wanna be done with the game" in a Bombcast when he was still beating it (he also said the game grew on him...slowly). And I really agree with him, those last hours were just boss after boss, room after room. But maybe that's how JRPG's have always been, and I'm getting old. Not a terrible game, just tiring at times.

#-9 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

I don't know how many hours in I was, probably not many, but it was in that ice area. I thought to myself,  *long ass sigh*  "...What the fuck am I doing?" And then I quit.

#-8 Posted by Toomz (22 posts) -
@Soapy86:  Ice area...do you mean crystal? I honestly don't remember an ice area, but maybe that was early enough in the game that I just forgot. I swear, I stopped playing for a solid 3 weeks at one point when playing the game.
#-7 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -
@Toomz: It might have been crystal. I really don't know. There were like frozen waves everywhere, I just assumed it was ice. But it was that moment that I not only decided that I didn't like Final Fantasy XIII anymore, but also that I think I've outgrown JRPGs in general.
#-6 Posted by Redbullet685 (6025 posts) -
@j_meyer_13 said:
" I was never interested... -_- "
#-5 Edited by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Vanille and Hope really turned me off, but I finished the game regardless. 

Fang, Lightning and Sahz could have been all the characters I needed, the rest are expendable and should've been 10-minute NPCs. But that's the FF formula for you, make 10 characters you don't care about instead of just 3 good ones and sticking with them.

When you think about it, absolutely nothing happened during the 45 hours it took me to finish FF13.
#-4 Posted by Chris2KLee (2328 posts) -

After I played the Demo. It didn't click with me at all.

#-3 Posted by derekwayne (1 posts) -

30 hours in, chapter 11, traded away to play something better

#-2 Posted by Briggs713 (214 posts) -

As soon as it opened up. I plan on getting back to it, but I really wasn't having much fun when I got to Pulse.  Do things get back on track after you do the first round of Side Quests?

#-1 Posted by CitizenKane (10504 posts) -

I was never really that interested in it in the first place, but I decided to give it a shot(I play as much games as I can this year so I can actually put up a good Top 10 list at the end of th year).  I started yawning a couple of hours in and finally sent it back to GameFly a few more hours after that.

JRPGs are still not for me.

#0 Posted by Egge (446 posts) -

I beat the game but started getting really impatient by that chapter (8 or something) where Vanille and Afrodude (already forgot his name) went strolling in the woods before reaching the Disney-like city with the outdoors show. The chapters right before the game opened up in 11 were pretty intense and interesting, but the last few chapters after 11 were boring and too easy so I started getting impatient again.  

After finishing the final boss, I famously skipped the ending cinematics out of sheer boredom, so I still don't know how the story ended (...and honestly couldn't care less; though I do hope Vanille got killed in some suitably gruesome manner). Despite all this, I've been a lot more frustrated, bored and annoyed by other games than FFXIII. As a whole, I liked it reasonably well and could even see myself going back for some additional Trophies...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.