Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

When people called it "linear," I misunderstood.

Avatar image for existentialenso
    ExistentialEnso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ExistentialEnso

I really think what people mean to say is just that it's virtually sidequest-less until the very end. I would argue that the story itself is no less linear -- perhaps other games just made you feel as if you had some free choice more, especially the pre-PS2 era games in which featured an overworld map. Even then, at most, the best you could do is temporarily skip something (e.g. Gongaga in FF7, which you can skip and go to Cosmo Canyon, forgoing some cutscenes until much later) or go about things in an order of your choice (e.g. the three scenarios in FF6 upon returning to Narshe that can be completed in any order). 

I realized that the root of the complaints is the lack of choices until late in the game as to what to do, but to call the game "linear" is a bit weak, as it's really no more linear than any other game in the series, unless I'm missing a game in which your decisions have a radical impact on how the story develops.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dantheman1515

I walked down a narrow path for 50 hours... that is the definition of linear. I don't see it as a complaint, but it is definitely true of the game.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ApertureSilence

The gameplay is linear, but the storytelling - with its elaborate flashback structure - is not.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lawrens

All FFs are linear, but that isn't exactly the main problem of FF13, it just happens to stand out the most because a lot of things went missing. 

A sandbox game could be as equally linear for its main mission, and some can't be completed without visiting a few different target destinations in specific orders, there are a lot of diversion that's lacking in FF13, and the story telling while identical to previous FFs, are lacking as well because you're getting all your information from mind numbing cutscenes and datalog, because you're being shoved the information in their own linear way, instead of you visiting different parts of the world and experiencing them and learning the lore through talking to npcs while visiting places, you look at a datalog with a few pictures.

To add to this, there was a light novel being publishes before FF13 came out, it talks about the days the flashback took place, how Lightning meet Snow for the first time, her view on Snow, it was told in a few different perspectives that gives you different information of the world they're in, in the Fang's story it even features a mini town exploration of them talking to random strangers and visiting the stores, and they get to see how the people on cocoon acts in comparison to the ones they remember from gran pulse, while they might be just distractions to a lot of people, it gives a sense of adventure that a lot of people play RPGs for and you get the sense of depths and personality from those characters. While FF13 did a decent job with some characterization, I think it could've been better if the game isn't heavily focused on combat and corridors, it does more harm than good imo because if the combat doesn't offer a gamer enough, it becomes boring at a certain point, which is why there's a split of people who loves the game and people who hates it.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By asurastrike
    @ExistentialEnso said:
    " I really think what people mean to say is just that it's virtually sidequest-less until the very end. I would argue that the story itself is no less linear -- perhaps other games just made you feel as if you had some free choice more, especially the pre-PS2 era games in which featured an overworld map. Even then, at most, the best you could do is temporarily skip something (e.g. Gongaga in FF7, which you can skip and go to Cosmo Canyon, forgoing some cutscenes until much later) or go about things in an order of your choice (e.g. the three scenarios in FF6 upon returning to Narshe that can be completed in any order).  I realized that the root of the complaints is the lack of choices until late in the game as to what to do, but to call the game "linear" is a bit weak, as it's really no more linear than any other game in the series, unless I'm missing a game in which your decisions have a radical impact on how the story develops. "
    You walk in a straight line for more than 30 hours.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Catolf
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    " I really think what people mean to say is just that it's virtually sidequest-less until the very end. I would argue that the story itself is no less linear -- perhaps other games just made you feel as if you had some free choice more, especially the pre-PS2 era games in which featured an overworld map. Even then, at most, the best you could do is temporarily skip something (e.g. Gongaga in FF7, which you can skip and go to Cosmo Canyon, forgoing some cutscenes until much later) or go about things in an order of your choice (e.g. the three scenarios in FF6 upon returning to Narshe that can be completed in any order).  I realized that the root of the complaints is the lack of choices until late in the game as to what to do, but to call the game "linear" is a bit weak, as it's really no more linear than any other game in the series, unless I'm missing a game in which your decisions have a radical impact on how the story develops. "
    You walk in a straight line for more than 30 hours. "
    Actually, thats only maybe for 2 hours or so then you get to go left and right and side ways, that is not a straight line. Hate to disappoint. XP Cause if I could just got in a straight line, I'd be done with this game HOURS ago.

People complain too much, it was fine and it worked great for the storyline.

They are fugitives, I'cie, they are not liked by the public and are being hunted, they can't just wander around town's and hang out with people cause that would be stupid.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By asurastrike

I @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    Actually, thats only maybe for 2 hours or so then you get to go left and right and side ways, that is not a straight line. Hate to disappoint. XP Cause if I could just got in a straight line, I'd be done with this game HOURS ago.  People complain too much, it was fine and it worked great for the storyline.  They are fugitives, I'cie, they are not liked by the public and are being hunted, they can't just wander around town's and hang out with people cause that would be stupid. "
    I quit playing after 8 or so hours.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Catolf
    @Asurastrike said:
    " I @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    Actually, thats only maybe for 2 hours or so then you get to go left and right and side ways, that is not a straight line. Hate to disappoint. XP Cause if I could just got in a straight line, I'd be done with this game HOURS ago.  People complain too much, it was fine and it worked great for the storyline.  They are fugitives, I'cie, they are not liked by the public and are being hunted, they can't just wander around town's and hang out with people cause that would be stupid. "
    I quit playing after 8 or so hours. "
    You should have kept going, it's very satisfying.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By asurastrike
    @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" I @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    You should have kept going, it's very satisfying. "
    8 hours is longer than many games, and it feels especially longer when you are hating every minute of it. No thanks, I'm done with FFXIII, and I think I'm done with FF alltogether with this being the third main line FF in a row that I haven't liked (X-2, XII, XIII).
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Catolf
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" I @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    8 hours is longer than many games, and it feels especially longer when you are hating every minute of it. No thanks, I'm done with FFXIII, and I think I'm done with FF alltogether with this being the third main line FF in a row that I haven't liked (X-2, XII, XIII). "
    Not every FF is for everyone, why drop a franchise that is always continuing to change. Why not rent instead of buying so you know what your walking into, I admit X-2 was not my cup of tea but I fully enjoyed XII and now XIII
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By asurastrike
    @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" I @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    8 hours is longer than many games, and it feels especially longer when you are hating every minute of it. No thanks, I'm done with FFXIII, and I think I'm done with FF alltogether with this being the third main line FF in a row that I haven't liked (X-2, XII, XIII). "
    Not every FF is for everyone, why drop a franchise that is always continuing to change. Why not rent instead of buying so you know what your walking into, I admit X-2 was not my cup of tea but I fully enjoyed XII and now XIII "
    The last FF I liked was X, which was the last FF made when Square was still Squaresoft, and not SquareEnix, it was also 9 years ago. In the last 9 years SE has yet to make a followup FF that I enjoyed.
    Talesavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Talesavo

I liked the fact that it was linear.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Catolf
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" I @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    Not every FF is for everyone, why drop a franchise that is always continuing to change. Why not rent instead of buying so you know what your walking into, I admit X-2 was not my cup of tea but I fully enjoyed XII and now XIII "
    The last FF I liked was X, which was the last FF made when Square was still Squaresoft, and not SquareEnix, it was also 9 years ago. In the last 9 years SE has yet to make a followup FF that I enjoyed. "
    X-2 was just a spin off, and there is a lot of people who enjoyed it, (I didn't.. but who know's I might try again XP) but it wasn't a shining stare. It was just closure for those not happy with how X ended. As far as 12 I thought the MMO style battling was enjoyable and it's the first FF besides tactics I've managed to get far in. SE is saying they are going back to more traditional turn base RPGing after Versus (which makes ME sad) but maybe thats good news for you?
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By asurastrike
    @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" I @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    The last FF I liked was X, which was the last FF made when Square was still Squaresoft, and not SquareEnix, it was also 9 years ago. In the last 9 years SE has yet to make a followup FF that I enjoyed. "
    X-2 was just a spin off, and there is a lot of people who enjoyed it, (I didn't.. but who know's I might try again XP) but it wasn't a shining stare. It was just closure for those not happy with how X ended. As far as 12 I thought the MMO style battling was enjoyable and it's the first FF besides tactics I've managed to get far in. SE is saying they are going back to more traditional turn base RPGing after Versus (which makes ME sad) but maybe thats good news for you? "
    Not really. I like the combat system in 13, I just wish the story, characters, dialogue, voice acting, linearity and music was better. X was an extremely linear game too, but it kept leading me on and making me want to go forward by having interesting things happen, and by having a goal. In 13, 8 hours in I have no idea why I am walking forward, other than because I'm being chased.
    Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Yeah, this one isn't as different from the previous entries as some people would lead you to believe.  The biggest difference is how honest it is, really.  Instead of pretendin like you can go anywhere when the only way you can move the story forward is talking to the old man by the shed, the game just tells you exactly where to go and doesn't give you an option to do otherwise.
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Ket87

XIII is no less linear than any other FF game in the last 15 years. And that fact  is hidden no worse than it was in X where it  was painfully obvious you were walking down the only road in Spira for 90% of the game.

pegasuswinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pegasuswinks

Frankly Final Fantasy X was very linear as well in the sense that if you don't talk to this random guy in the middle of nowhere out in the desert or something you're not going to go anywhere else. The fact that people complain about how you walk down a straight line for 30 hours in XIII makes it a bad game is ridiculous. You walk down a curving path in X with no diverging roads either but apparently lines with 90 degree turns are radically different. Don't get me wrong FFX is and probably always will be my favorite FF of all time, but it's just the arguments people put forth against XIII are, for a lack of a better word, weak.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince

No sidequests is more accurate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I was bored after around 8-10 hours, I will pick it up again sometime but I'm very disappointed in the series lately.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Catolf
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" I @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    X-2 was just a spin off, and there is a lot of people who enjoyed it, (I didn't.. but who know's I might try again XP) but it wasn't a shining stare. It was just closure for those not happy with how X ended. As far as 12 I thought the MMO style battling was enjoyable and it's the first FF besides tactics I've managed to get far in. SE is saying they are going back to more traditional turn base RPGing after Versus (which makes ME sad) but maybe thats good news for you? "
    Not really. I like the combat system in 13, I just wish the story, characters, dialogue, voice acting, linearity and music was better. X was an extremely linear game too, but it kept leading me on and making me want to go forward by having interesting things happen, and by having a goal. In 13, 8 hours in I have no idea why I am walking forward, other than because I'm being chased. "
    Well, I supposed we can agree to disagree, you weren't satisfied while I'm extremely satisfied with XIII. Can we both agree that Vs/XIII will be hella fun ride with KH style combat?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have no idea how someone can recommend a game that only gets good 10+ hours in and even then, isn't exactly groundbreaking. If the developer can't make it that good from the start, there's something wrong. But that's Japanese video games all over.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By asurastrike
    @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" I @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    Not really. I like the combat system in 13, I just wish the story, characters, dialogue, voice acting, linearity and music was better. X was an extremely linear game too, but it kept leading me on and making me want to go forward by having interesting things happen, and by having a goal. In 13, 8 hours in I have no idea why I am walking forward, other than because I'm being chased. "
    Well, I supposed we can agree to disagree, you weren't satisfied while I'm extremely satisfied with XIII. Can we both agree that Vs/XIII will be hella fun ride with KH style combat? "

It remains to be seen, but I do enjoy games directed by Tetsuya Nomura.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Catolf
    @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @Catolf said:

" @Asurastrike said:

" I @Catolf said:
    " @Asurastrike said:
    " @ExistentialEnso said:
    Well, I supposed we can agree to disagree, you weren't satisfied while I'm extremely satisfied with XIII. Can we both agree that Vs/XIII will be hella fun ride with KH style combat? "
    It remains to be seen, but I do enjoy games directed by Tetsuya Nomura. "
    Then we can both say we are holding out hope that it will be awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.