Why Final Fantasy XIII doesnt suck.

• 157 results
Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

Okay, so alot of people have been saying how much FFXIII sucks or a disappointment, those people are wrong. Here are a few complaints that people have used -

Linear

This is a bunch of bullshit. Nearly every other JRPG is linear but deiced to use smoke and mirrors to make the player think that they are exploring. Persona 4 for example was extremely linear but yet that was still a superb game and noone cared about it being linear because of the smoke and mirrors? thats bullshit.

Auto-battle

Alot of people are complaining about Auto-battle being in the game but its simple, DONT USE IT. Its seriously one of the most stupidest things to complain about. Lets use TF2 for and example, dont like the scout class and think its for noobs? dont use it rather than bitching about it. Its there as an option  if you dont like the option then dont use it.

No towns

I dont see why people would miss towns that much in the game, they never brought much to the games anyway. I dont see why its a problem to buy your items at the save point and to get side quests a different way, Also, if you have played the game you would know that a town wouldnt make any sense to the story so I am happy that square left it out opposed to tacking it on and throwing on some shit to the story just for there to be a town. 

Okay guys, please stop bitching about FFXIII, there is nothing wrong with the game and it is a fantasic edition to the series and a serious GOTY contender IMO.

Please, feel free to leave reasons about why the game suck or you dislike it down below.
#1 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

Okay, so alot of people have been saying how much FFXIII sucks or a disappointment, those people are wrong. Here are a few complaints that people have used -

Linear

This is a bunch of bullshit. Nearly every other JRPG is linear but deiced to use smoke and mirrors to make the player think that they are exploring. Persona 4 for example was extremely linear but yet that was still a superb game and noone cared about it being linear because of the smoke and mirrors? thats bullshit.

Auto-battle

Alot of people are complaining about Auto-battle being in the game but its simple, DONT USE IT. Its seriously one of the most stupidest things to complain about. Lets use TF2 for and example, dont like the scout class and think its for noobs? dont use it rather than bitching about it. Its there as an option  if you dont like the option then dont use it.

No towns

I dont see why people would miss towns that much in the game, they never brought much to the games anyway. I dont see why its a problem to buy your items at the save point and to get side quests a different way, Also, if you have played the game you would know that a town wouldnt make any sense to the story so I am happy that square left it out opposed to tacking it on and throwing on some shit to the story just for there to be a town. 

Okay guys, please stop bitching about FFXIII, there is nothing wrong with the game and it is a fantasic edition to the series and a serious GOTY contender IMO.

Please, feel free to leave reasons about why the game suck or you dislike it down below.
#2 Posted by Seedofpower (3929 posts) -

You're just upset that a lot of people don't like a game you want to love. It's ok.

#3 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@Seedofpower said:
" You're just upset that a lot of people don't like a game you want to love. It's ok. "
No, they dislike it for stupid reasons.
#4 Posted by Brendan (7807 posts) -

I found the lack of exploration along with the less interesting combat then I remember from older FF's a mediocre experience.  Sorry Yukoei.
#5 Posted by MasturbatingBear (1781 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" Okay, so alot of people have been saying how much FFXIII sucks or a disappointment, those people are sadly wrong. Here are a few complaints that people have used -

Linear

Auto-battle

No towns

Lol. That is all.   Okay guys, please stop bitching about FFXIII, there is nothing wrong with the game and it is a fantasic edition to the series and a serious GOTY contender IMO.  Please, feel free to leave reasons about why the game suck or you dislike it down below. "
you are not smart. p4 sure linear, however this is final fantasy a series the fans dont want to see change is formula speciificaally the linearness and...

The battles... dont change em square.

No towns: barely gives u the feeling of a game.
#6 Posted by Yummylee (21643 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
"Okay, so alot of people have been saying how much FFXIII sucks or a disappointment, those people are sadly wrong. "

FACTUAL EVIDENCE RIGHT HERE, BRAH!
#7 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -

So you heard the bombcast and decided to whine about Brad's feelings. Mature.

#8 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -

So you heard the bombcast and decided to whine about Brad's feelings. Mature. 

#9 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@Kbm600 said:
" So you heard the bombcast and decided to whine about Brad's feelings. Mature.  "

I actually havent listened to the podcast yet.
#10 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" I found the lack of exploration along with the less interesting combat then I remember from older FF's a mediocre experience.  Sorry Yukoei. "
I'm with Yukoei on this. Didn't FF X lack of exploration?
#11 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@MasturbatingBear said:
" @Yukoei said:
" Okay, so alot of people have been saying how much FFXIII sucks or a disappointment, those people are sadly wrong. Here are a few complaints that people have used -

Linear

Auto-battle

No towns

Lol. That is all.   Okay guys, please stop bitching about FFXIII, there is nothing wrong with the game and it is a fantasic edition to the series and a serious GOTY contender IMO.  Please, feel free to leave reasons about why the game suck or you dislike it down below. "
you are not smart. p4 sure linear, however this is final fantasy a series the fans dont want to see change is formula speciificaally the linearness and...  The battles... dont change em square.  No towns: barely gives u the feeling of a game. "
The battle's (and the story) makes Final Fantasy, well, Final Fantasy. If they don't change then they're going to end up like Dragon Quest VIII.
#12 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

#13 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @Brendan said:
" I found the lack of exploration along with the less interesting combat then I remember from older FF's a mediocre experience.  Sorry Yukoei. "
I'm with Yukoei on this. Didn't FF X lack of exploration? "

Yes it did, but for many people it is still the best in the series, that is another reason why the hate on FFXIII is stupid.
#14 Posted by lukusluke (99 posts) -

It's called opinion for a reason, because they are opinions!

#15 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I am apathetic towards FFXIII, so I cannot argue of whether or not those complaints are valid.  But even if you could look at a review and point out every complaint and show it to be false or contradictory, you haven't automatically changed the reviewers mind.  There is a certain je ne sais quoi to subjectivity.  Just because someone can't articulate as to why exactly they don't like a game, doesn't make their opinion invalid.  Might mean they aren't cut out to be a writer, though.

#16 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -
@Yukoei:  All FF games have been linear but you could always diverge from the set path before continuing with the story.  Stopping into a small town and talking to people there or maybe doing a side-quest made the worlds seem more alive, or as Edge put it "worth saving."  If in 13 you are on rails, I would say in other FF games that you are on a tether.

What in this game makes you feel like a part of the world?  I heard there was some codex-type thing like Dragon Age did, does that feel like enough?
#17 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (552 posts) -

I'm willing to give it a shot, regardless of what people say about it. Just because they have an opinion, does not make it correct or even a competent opinion. I'm in five hours and the experience is very linear. However, just because the game is streamlined but cutting out exploration and towns, that does not automatically qualify it as bad. 

#18 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@Quacktastic said:
" @Yukoei:  All FF games have been linear but you could always diverge from the set path before continuing with the story.  Stopping into a small town and talking to people there or maybe doing a side-quest made the worlds seem more alive, or as Edge put it "worth saving."  If in 13 you are on rails, I would say in other FF games that you are on a tether. What in this game makes you feel like a part of the world?  I heard there was some codex-type thing like Dragon Age did, does that feel like enough?"

I thought Final Fantasy XIII does have side quests?
#19 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
"

"

Win.
#20 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -
@Yukoei: Cool to know.  How do you get them?
I figured if there weren't towns then there aren't people to talk to, so I didn't think you would get optional quests.
#21 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@Quacktastic said:
" @Yukoei: Cool to know.  How do you get them? I figured if there weren't towns then there aren't people to talk to, so I didn't think you would get optional quests."
Well, there are monster hunts if you want to count them as sidequests.
#22 Posted by makari (597 posts) -
I should make a game that is nothing but flying around a world map in an airship finding sparklies in barrels and shelves in a few dozen towns to unlock skipping rope/monster catching/piano playing minigames. Apparently it would sell like hotcakes.
#23 Posted by Jimbo_N (1197 posts) -

The linearity can easily become a grind tho with no smoke and mirrors to cover it up. You're basically only running forward into enemies and watching cutscenes. You have to break it up ocassionally to keep the mind from going into grindmode and losing interest. Throw me some fake freedom like a world map, some towns, some "alternate routes" that leads to the same place and maybe some side stuff to do. FF13 is super focused on what it's doing and in a way it totally steamlines the experience for this generation but my personal preferrence lies elsewhere.    
#24 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

WHO CARES. I never understood why people believe they need to defend a video game. If you like it, cool. Some people think it sucks, and that's just how it is.

#25 Posted by Quacktastic (1066 posts) -
@makari: A giant open-world game with towns and sparkly stuff would sell pretty well.  World of Warcraft is doing alright.
#26 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
  (this looks better with white background lol)
#27 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -
@Seedofpower said:
" You're just upset that a lot of people don't like a game you want to love. It's ok. "
#28 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -
@MasturbatingBear said:
" @Yukoei said:

Linear

Auto-battle

No towns

you are not smart. p4 sure linear, however this is final fantasy a series the fans dont want to see change is formula speciificaally the linearness and...  The battles... dont change em square.  No towns: barely gives u the feeling of a game. "
I don't care about the rest of the things but the battle system is epic.
#29 Edited by Earthborn (386 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" @Seedofpower said:
No, they dislike it for stupid reasons. "

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
#30 Posted by Earthborn (386 posts) -

Was laughing at how lame the response was, that's all.
#31 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Stop caring about other people!  
If you enjoy the game, then it doesn't matter what the fuck other people think. 
What other people think actually doesn't matter at all, for anything.  
Don't give two shits about them, they're not your frieeeends!

#32 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -
@Yukoei: I'm sorry, but Persona 4 was just a bunch of smoke and mirrors to make you think it wasn't linear? Yes, it did have a fairly linear story, but it is one of the few games that actually lets you set your own pace, and do things in the order, and length you want to. 

And simply saying that FF13 isn't bad because other JRPGs don't do the things it doesn't do is just insulting the genre, and really stating how it needs to evolve.
#33 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

If you liked the game that's great for you, but you go about defending the game the wrong way. Some people like the game and others loathe it; why bash other people because their opinions are what you call, "stupid reasons"? Final Fantasy isn't for everybody, and since this is a video game website you will see opinions that defer from your own.

#34 Posted by Natedog24 (90 posts) -

It isn't a bad game, not even close. That said its not going to be winning any GOTY awards either.  

But as a fan of JRPG's I can say without hesitation that FF13 is extremely enjoyable and easily on of the best JRPG's I have seen on the current gen consoles . Which sadly for the most part have been slammed by very mediocre games of this genre. 

#35 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@Natedog24 said:
" It isn't a bad game, not even close. That said its not going to be winning any GOTY awards either.    But as a fan of JRPG's I can say without hesitation that FF13 is extremely enjoyable and easily on of the best JRPG's I have seen on the current gen consoles . Which sadly for the most part have been slammed by very mediocre games of this genre.  "
It should be a contender for GOTY though.
#36 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Your apologist excuses are pretty weak. I understand the blueballs from waiting 5 years, obviously you can't allow this game to be bad after looking forward to it for so long. Now if you wanna be unreasonable in your little delusion bubble, fine, don't whine about people who choose not to join you voicing their opinions.

#37 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Yukoei:  don't bother trying to reason with people about jrpgs. Jrpgs aren't considered cool anymore and people wont allow themselves to like them. They wont suspend disbelief to enjoy the worlds in them. 
#38 Edited by angelfan91 (892 posts) -

FFXIII is bad because it's fucking Final Fantasy.  That's all.
#39 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -

i wouldnt say goty but its not that bad

#40 Posted by Bones8677 (3241 posts) -

I'm still waiting for my copy to come in the mail. I forgot to tell Amazon that I wanted the game on launch day. But I shall return with an educated opinion when I start playing. But so far, I'm finding many complaints to be poor whining. People loved Final Fantasy 10, and hated Final Fantasy 12. 12 was far more non linear and complex than 10. And yet they are hating 13 because it's a lot like 10?

#41 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

This thread should be renamed to "Why Final Fantasy XIII wasn't acquired by giantbomb.com member Foggel".

#42 Posted by SteveV (182 posts) -
@MasturbatingBear: @MasturbatingBear said:

Dude Final Fantasy XIII didn't change the formula :) 
Final Fantasy VII made the series linear, and everybody seemed to love that.
Final Fantasy XII changed the battle system, everybody seemed to love that.
No towns, does there have to be any?
#43 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

I quite like the changes 

but meh, people are fucking annoying

#44 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

I have to disagree with this.  Your point about how other JRPG's use tricks to create the illusion of non-linearity is flawed.  It's similar to a post I made in the past, about how FFVII was linear despite trying to make it seem nonlinear by allowing you to explore, even though you're forced to travel straight to Kalm, etc...  But I really regret that post.  The difference there is that although you were still pretty much forced to go in one direction, you still had the ability to explore.  Yes, you had to go to Kalm, but that didn't stop you from looking around a bit and perhaps finding something and thinking "wow, I wonder when we'll get to go there!"  My favourite aspect of RPG's has always been exploration and discovery.. the more recent FF games took away the airship which has been very disappointing, but this kind of completely linear progression we see in X and XIII is just not fun.

Ditto for the lack of towns..  I love being able to wonder around and discover new places I haven't seen before.  This has been the case in games like Morrowind, Fallout and even the original Final Fantasy.  Taken away this aspect and removes almost any kind of player freedom.  Final Fantasy XIII may as well have been a movie.

#45 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Non-linearity is ALWAYS smoke and mirrors.

The player will always be restrained to the limits of the scope of the programmer's design.

#46 Posted by PenguinDust (12517 posts) -
@Yukoei said:

No towns

Lol. That is all.  
Captain of the debate team, eh?   

I don't know whether or not Final Fantasy XIII is an "A" game or a "5.5" embarrassment for SquareEnix.  I do believe that if you are going to raise a topic and then defend your view point it needs to be something with a little more substance then "Lol".  I've read why people lament the removal of towns in the game but am no closer to understanding why you believe they are not important.  You addressed the other two points from your opening and provided me some insight into your opinions there, but the final issue deserves more attention if you are going to mention it at all.  You can do better than this.  I've seen better in the past.
#47 Edited by Yukoei (1878 posts) -
@PenguinDust said:

" @Yukoei said:

No towns

Lol. That is all.  
Captain of the debate team, eh?     I don't know whether or not Final Fantasy XIII is an "A" game or a "5.5" embarrassment for SquareEnix.  I do believe that if you are going to raise a topic and then defend your view point it needs to be something with a little more substance then "Lol".  I've read why people lament the removal of towns in the game but am no closer to understanding why you believe they are not important.  You addressed the other two points from your opening and provided me some insight into your opinions there, but the final issue deserves more attention if you are going to mention it at all.  You can do better than this.  I've seen better in the past. "
Yeah, your right. 

I will edit it. 

EDIT: fixed =)
#48 Edited by luce (4045 posts) -

From what I've played of FFXIII so far..

Although I swear I think Vanille is mentally handicapped
#49 Posted by Steve_C (1751 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" @ch13696 said:
" @Brendan said:
I'm with Yukoei on this. Didn't FF X lack of exploration? "
Yes it did, but for many people it is still the best in the series, that is another reason why the hate on FFXIII is stupid. "
FFX is my favourite game i've ever played. The first couple of hours in FFXIII are among the worst i've experienced in recent memory. The linearity in FFX was contextualised. In this you're going down straight corridors with nothing interesting happening at all. They throw some standard enemies at you, but you don't even gain experience from it so any motivation to fight is pretty much taken away and every battle becomes a drag. The game introduces too many characters at once so none of them are immediately interesting. I found the main story to be too overwhelming with all the l'cie/fal'cie speak straight from the beginning without even establishing what they are. I'm about 4/5 hours in now and i'm coming around to it. The battle system is getting interesting now with the paradigm stuff and i'm grateful to have the character advancement available, but even that's just an overproduced and not as functional sphere grid.

I'm going to play a ton today and i'm enjoying it now, but the linearity is way more evident than in past games, and the introduction has so many bad design decisions.
#50 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -

I am not going to lie and say that I am an FF fan but I never disliked it. But this game is just BLEH, I am sorry but I am not playing 25 hours of a game to get to the "good" part. The Characters and the Story are been there done that and I can't tell who is a boy or a girl. Square just dropped the ball on this game, in an attempt to get new players they alienated their own userbase so the backlash seems justified.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.