Why Final Fantasy XIII doesnt suck.

• 157 results
#101 Posted by ParadiseClub (1 posts) -

so yeah, the battle system was cool and all. nice cut scenes. but i had a very difficult time giving a damn about any of the characters and felt like i should have read some kind of FFXIII dictionary before playing it. hated snow. hated hope. so corny, how many times can one character say the word "hero"...gotta say, dropped it after 40 hours. didnt beat it. didnt care. looked it up online. found it to be to easy. could win buy just continuously pressing A in battles. went out and bought me a PS1 again. FFVII.

#102 Edited by Lambert (404 posts) -

Awww... poor fanboy. Are your feelings hurt?

Most of the people don't like Final Fantasy 13 because it is an overall shitty game and waste of time, not because of its linearity, and no towns.

I could care less about those.

I do care that it takes 25 hours to actually be able to control the game. I do care that everything about the game is mediocre. I do care that the characters and story are pure trash. Linearity and "no towns" are the least of this game's worries.

It is just a poorly designed game, and if you weren't such a blind fanboy, and got off of Square Enix's dick, then you would realize that.

#103 Posted by kumis (74 posts) -

I have to say that there is one good thing I can say about this game: it's better than FFXII. But I think it lacks all the things that make a Final Fantasy game great. The characters aren't very likeable, the AI isn't always up to the task, the story is really lackluster, and there just isn't much happening throughout the game. Why does it have to last for 40 hours when it could've easily been 20 hours for the same story? Also, it sets itself up horribly wrong by kinda assuming that you would want to read the datalog from the get go to understand the beginning.

I liked VII and X, but this just isn't as good as those two.

#104 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@ParadiseClub said:

" so yeah, the battle system was cool and all. nice cut scenes. but i had a very difficult time giving a damn about any of the characters and felt like i should have read some kind of FFXIII dictionary before playing it. hated snow. hated hope. so corny, how many times can one character say the word "hero"...gotta say, dropped it after 40 hours. didnt beat it. didnt care. looked it up online. found it to be to easy. could win buy just continuously pressing A in battles. went out and bought me a PS1 again. FFVII. "

If it was too Easy then why didn't you just finish it? That way you can say 'I beat it, too easy" then I could respect your opinion, but sense you gave up... eh.. not so much. Enjoy VII

@Lambert

said:

" Awww... poor fanboy. Are your feelings hurt?  Most of the people don't like Final Fantasy 13 because it is an overall shitty game and waste of time, not because of its linearity, and no towns.  I could care less about those.  I do care that it takes 25 hours to actually be able to control the game. I do care that everything about the game is mediocre. I do care that the characters and story are pure trash. Linearity and "no towns" are the least of this game's worries.  It is just a poorly designed game, and if you weren't such a blind fanboy, and got off of Square Enix's dick, then you would realize that. "

You as a person are a waste of time, if you have to sound like a child to get your point across don't bother commenting. 

@Trilogy

said:

" Why can't people just agree to disagree on FFXIII? It's pretty obvious that people are split on the game so what's the point of trying to change somebody's opinion?  Discussing why you do or don't like the game is one thing but telling somebody else that their opinion is wrong is really pointless. "

You have a point, in the end everyone will remain divided..
#105 Edited by InfiniteGeass (2054 posts) -

After completing the game I have come to realize that the auto-battle is the way to go once you get the weaknesses of the enemies because you will choose the appropriate attacks/ buffs/ debuffs. You might think your doing right by choosing not to use it, but really your just taking longer to do something the game can do way quicker. That's not to say the combat is bad though. I think the real meat of the combat lies within the paradigms because if you don't have the correct paradigms readied or switch them at the correct time in the battle you will get a crappy rating or die.

#106 Posted by Enigmatical (136 posts) -

Ya know, I'm glad to come on here and see some support for Final Fantasy XIII after wading through the FF XIII bashers.

A few weeks or so ago, I came across a blog post on some other game news network where a "FF diehard" listed his "13 Reasons Why I Hate Final Fantasy 13".  He automatically invalided his argument with claiming he had only played for "5 to 10 hours".

After putting in 117.5 hours and getting the "Ultimate Hero" trophy (which, say what you want, I'm very, very proud of), I can safely say that Final Fantasy 13 was extremely enjoyable and I gladly put in an extra 70+ hours into the post-game content well after I had beaten the game. 

Maybe I should sit down with that "FF diehard" 's 13 Reasons and refute each one, pulling from some of the feelings the incensed in me as I read his "expert" blogpost.

#107 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

I'm looving it so far, and this is my first JRPG. pretty good stuff.

#108 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@InfiniteGeass said:
" After completing the game I have come to realize that the auto-battle is the way to go once you get the weaknesses of the enemies because you will choose the appropriate attacks/ buffs/ debuffs. You might think your doing right by choosing not to use it, but really your just taking longer to do something the game can do way quicker. That's not to say the combat is bad though. I think the real meat of the combat lies within the paradigms because if you don't have the correct paradigms readied or switch them at the correct time in the battle you will get a crappy rating or die. "

I didn't find out this little tidbit until I accidentally hit the auto battle and saw that the attacks wern't off the wall, they actually give you correct choices once you Libra the enemy first. Auto battle DOES help if you heave the enemy's weakness which is VERY nice when you fight the droids cause it takes a little longer to put in -fire/water/fire/water/fire- over and over when auto battle can just load them nicely.
#109 Posted by Wesley (39 posts) -
@BomberDude said:
" @oraknabo said:
" This game is good. It is a LOT like FFX and it incorporates some of the auto-party stuff from FFXII and Kingdom Hearts with the better parts of the X-2 dress-sphere stuff. Even the jumping is right out of X-2.  This game is 100% Final Fantasy, even the annoying characters. If you like FFVII and FFX, there's literally nothing to complain about in this game. If you were expecting FF to try to compete with GTA IV or your favorite shooter, you're not going to like it. "
 Well put -- People are forgetting that this is a JRPG, a genre which is fairly scarce in the current generation of gaming. The linearity of this game is necessary to the story telling and makes complete sense to me. Plus, the game DOES open up quite a bit towards the end, you just need to work a little to get there ... not totally unlike FFX. If people don't like how linear this game is, then maybe a western RPG like Oblivion or Fallout 3 is more for you. "

Did either of you read any of my previous post? the linearity of the game is in what way necessary to the story telling? also theres quite a big difference between what FFXIII did and what FFVII & FFX did in terms of pretty much every aspect of the game including the linearity, battle system, and the visual style. I dont know how anyone can disagree on that you just have to have played the games to realise. I dont think anyone was expecting FF to try and compete with GTA or 'your favourite shooter', and I think thats a rediculous comment to make.
#110 Posted by Wesley (39 posts) -

@Lambert:
Oh shut up. Who the fuck are you anyway? mr king of the world.

And its not "I could care less", its "I couldn't care less" which implies exactly what it says, you could not care any less about whatever, not "I could care less about whatever" which is what you said and implies that you care atleast alittle about it, which makes the statement redundant.

Now fuck off.

#111 Edited by tutuboy95 (90 posts) -

I haven't played Final Fantasy VII-XII. The Nintendo Era of Final Fantasy is the only thing I had to compare it to. I bought XIII. And it still measures up to IV, V, and VI, some of my favorite video games. Sure, 20-25 hours before you have complete freedom is a bother, but the tutorial session REALLY isn't 25 hours. Like Kingdom Hearts II, it's more like 3. While your movement is heavily restricted, once you learn how to Paradigm shift and summon, you're pretty much on your way. The battles are challenging. Sure the game is linear. So what? A book is linear. Does that stop people from reading them? No.  

(If someone follows this up with "Books are gay," that shows a testament to your intelligence.) 

Sure, it's missing some stuff. But it doesn't SUCK. Everyone goes into a shitty rage and they say it f****ng sucks, but these people haven't played all the way. You can't really say whether the game sucks or not without looking at the full package. If I read A Tale of Two Cities, and think the long sentence at the beginning is stupid, is it a bad book? Not in the least.

#112 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@tutuboy95: Kingdom Hearts 2 was linear? Since when?
#113 Edited by Jeust (10679 posts) -
@tutuboy95 said:

" I haven't played Final Fantasy VII-XII. The Nintendo Era of Final Fantasy is the only thing I had to compare it to. I bought XIII. Sure, 20-25 hours before you have complete freedom is a bother, but the tutorial session REALLY isn't 25 hours. Like Kingdom Hearts II, it's more like 3. While your movement is heavily restricted, once you learn how to Paradigm shift and summon, you're pretty much on your way. The battles are challenging. Sure the game is linear. So what? A book is linear. Does that stop people from reading them? No.  

(If someone follows this up with "Books are gay," that shows a testament to your intelligence.) 

Sure, it's missing some stuff. But it doesn't SUCK. Everyone goes into a shitty rage and they say it f****ng sucks, but these people haven't played all the way. You can't really say whether the game sucks or not without looking at the full package. If I read A Tale of Two Cities, and think the long sentence at the beginning is stupid, is it a bad book? Not in the least. "

You should have played the other final fantasy games. It doesn't fucking suck, but when compared with FFXII i can only say that it sucks bad!
#114 Edited by tutuboy95 (90 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: Ah, you misunderstand (or I need to re-word this). I'm saying that the tutorial session in FFXIII is comparable to KHII, where the time you spend as Roxas learning the ins and outs is about 3 hours.   

Sorry for the confusion. >.>  

@Jeust: I would very much like to, but I don't have a PS2. The only way I could play KHII is when I went to my friend's house and mooched it off of him for... several hours.
#115 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@tutuboy95 said:
" @NekuSakuraba: Ah, you misunderstand (or I need to re-word this). I'm saying that the tutorial session in FFXIII is comparable to KHII, where the time you spend as Roxas learning the ins and outs is about 3 hours.  Sorry for the confusion. >.> "
Ahh, make perfect sense now! ^__^ 

As for what you said, I agree.
#116 Posted by Jeust (10679 posts) -
@tutuboy95 said:
" @NekuSakuraba: Ah, you misunderstand (or I need to re-word this). I'm saying that the tutorial session in FFXIII is comparable to KHII, where the time you spend as Roxas learning the ins and outs is about 3 hours.   

Sorry for the confusion. >.>  

@Jeust: I would very much like to, but I don't have a PS2. The only way I could play KHII is when I went to my friend's house and mooched it off of him for... several hours. "
What console do you have?
#117 Posted by tutuboy95 (90 posts) -
@Jeust: The 360. It instills a hope in me that I'll get some more Final Fantasy games for it. But in the meantime, I'll play with mah Nintendo FF's.
#118 Posted by Jeust (10679 posts) -
@tutuboy95 said:
" @Jeust: The 360. It instills a hope in me that I'll get some more Final Fantasy games for it. But in the meantime, I'll play with mah Nintendo FF's. "
Then try both Lost Odyssey, Nier, Tales of Vesperia or Resonance of Fate. Their better games in their own right. :)
#119 Posted by morir (1 posts) -

final fantasy XIII doesn't suck,but i think you suck yukoei wahahah

#120 Posted by schizogony (975 posts) -

A lot 

Two words

#121 Posted by Cambody (30 posts) -

It is funny how many people hate on this game without ever playing it.  I was one of them before I found it for 19.99 at best buy.

#122 Posted by thatguy42 (86 posts) -

The fact that the game is 19.99 already sort of proves how bad the game is.  Reminds me how $10 was knocked off of the cel-shaded Prince of Persia game a week after it came out.

#123 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
@morir said:
" final fantasy XIII doesn't suck,but i think you suck yukoei wahahah "
Hopefully that's your one and only post on this site.
#124 Posted by orangefrys (106 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" I found the lack of exploration along with the less interesting combat then I remember from older FF's a mediocre experience.  Sorry Yukoei. "
this and the lack of towns, the towns made me happy, and feel significant
#125 Posted by headface (1 posts) -

The problems listed are only a handful of why this game is probably the worst Final Fantasy of the entire series.    I could get past the linearity of the game if there were no other problems with the game, but it was just 'one more thing' that was added.   The auto-battle was annoying, and it took away that Final Fantasy feel that we all love so much.  It didn't really matter whether you selected your actions yourself, picking a series of actions was essentially the same thing.  I want to make decisions as the battle progressed, not have to plan ahead and worry about cancelling a decision I made in the last second.  Finally, as far as there being no towns....  it was horrible.  Although nothing in particular generally happened in towns, they help break up the story and the action, give a feeling of safety, and are place markers for the ending of story arcs and subplots.  Furthermore, since the story was so linear, without towns the game felt like one very long dungeon crawl. 

The paradigm shift was a great idea, and was relatively fun for the first part of the game.  But, when the novelty wore off, it was more of a nuisance to having to continuously changed to Combat Clinic just to heal effectively.   But the worst part of this game, by far, was the end game.  The only way to get the 'Ultimate Weapons' was to spend hours grinding to get enough money.  There is almost no point in end game leveling, because by that point your characters will be strong enough to easily take out 95% of the enemies of the game.  As for the remaining 5%,  even if you spend the several hours it takes to max out your stats, you are still going to get 1-hit by them... so whats the point?    Finally, far too many enemies have the 'death ability' (forget its high proc rate) for a game that only requires 1 character to die to have a game over.  The only way to usually avoid this is to pack on accessories and hope for the best.    Sometimes it just makes ya want to throw your controller through the TV.

#126 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@thatguy42 said:
" The fact that the game is 19.99 already sort of proves how bad the game is.  Reminds me how $10 was knocked off of the cel-shaded Prince of Persia game a week after it came out. "
how does a reduction in price prove anything? Have you played it and come to this conclusion, or has word of mouth made things just in your eyes? Not your own personal opinion, just the opinion of others which would make you a sheep like follower if so and not making an opinion for yourself. Just saying.@headface said:
" The problems listed are only a handful of why this game is probably the worst Final Fantasy of the entire series.    I could get past the linearity of the game if there were no other problems with the game, but it was just 'one more thing' that was added.   The auto-battle was annoying, and it took away that Final Fantasy feel that we all love so much.  It didn't really matter whether you selected your actions yourself, picking a series of actions was essentially the same thing.  I want to make decisions as the battle progressed, not have to plan ahead and worry about cancelling a decision I made in the last second.  Finally, as far as there being no towns....  it was horrible.  Although nothing in particular generally happened in towns, they help break up the story and the action, give a feeling of safety, and are place markers for the ending of story arcs and subplots.  Furthermore, since the story was so linear, without towns the game felt like one very long dungeon crawl.  The paradigm shift was a great idea, and was relatively fun for the first part of the game.  But, when the novelty wore off, it was more of a nuisance to having to continuously changed to Combat Clinic just to heal effectively.   But the worst part of this game, by far, was the end game.  The only way to get the 'Ultimate Weapons' was to spend hours grinding to get enough money.  There is almost no point in end game leveling, because by that point your characters will be strong enough to easily take out 95% of the enemies of the game.  As for the remaining 5%,  even if you spend the several hours it takes to max out your stats, you are still going to get 1-hit by them... so whats the point?    Finally, far too many enemies have the 'death ability' (forget its high proc rate) for a game that only requires 1 character to die to have a game over.  The only way to usually avoid this is to pack on accessories and hope for the best.    Sometimes it just makes ya want to throw your controller through the TV. "
I can respect this, there were a few things that made me a tad iffy, but all in all, this and 12 are the only FF's (excluding Crisis Core, Dissidia and Dirge of Cerberus) I could effectively play. I liked the changes and I'm glad they decided to spice it up a bit instead of always stale turn based. I liked tha you could see the enemy and chose to engage or not (again much like 12)

I've tried to be an FF fan and could never get into them, the random battles pissed me off like no other and I generally hate most types of turn base combat, so that's to this (and 12) I was able to fully enjoy a Final fantasy and not throw my own controller at a TV and scream.

Some of the content that made you not like the game made me love it. This will never be the worst Final fantasy by any means (12 takes that for lack of engaging story XP) It's different and i think it shined for it.
#127 Posted by gormanator (105 posts) -

Thanks for this post. Everyone was shitting on this game

#128 Posted by lilman1101 (1066 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
"
"
So.....awesome.
#129 Posted by plainplease (187 posts) -

I am about halfway into it, and I can say there are certainly valid criticisms.  It is certainly a departure from the previous FF games, but, even in its simplicity, there is alot of game to enjoy.  Its a nice break from action games like Assassin's Creed and Uncharted.  I'm cool with it.

#130 Posted by JonGamer (121 posts) -
@Jesky said:
" I am about halfway into it, and I can say there are certainly valid criticisms.  It is certainly a departure from the previous FF games, but, even in its simplicity, there is alot of game to enjoy.  Its a nice break from action games like Assassin's Creed and Uncharted.  I'm cool with it. "
This pretty much sums up how I feel about it. I'm mainly an "action" gamer playing games like Halo, Resident Evil, God of War, XBLA arcade titles, etc. I bought Final Fantasy XIII for around $30 dollars and have been really enjoying it. It is a simple game, but seeing as this is my first JRPG I'm kind of glad the developers sort of hold your hand through the beginning. So far so good. : D
#131 Posted by Hailinel (24962 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @thatguy42 said:
" The fact that the game is 19.99 already sort of proves how bad the game is.  Reminds me how $10 was knocked off of the cel-shaded Prince of Persia game a week after it came out. "
how does a reduction in price prove anything? Have you played it and come to this conclusion, or has word of mouth made things just in your eyes? Not your own personal opinion, just the opinion of others which would make you a sheep like follower if so and not making an opinion for yourself. Just saying.@headface said:
" The problems listed are only a handful of why this game is probably the worst Final Fantasy of the entire series.    I could get past the linearity of the game if there were no other problems with the game, but it was just 'one more thing' that was added.   The auto-battle was annoying, and it took away that Final Fantasy feel that we all love so much.  It didn't really matter whether you selected your actions yourself, picking a series of actions was essentially the same thing.  I want to make decisions as the battle progressed, not have to plan ahead and worry about cancelling a decision I made in the last second.  Finally, as far as there being no towns....  it was horrible.  Although nothing in particular generally happened in towns, they help break up the story and the action, give a feeling of safety, and are place markers for the ending of story arcs and subplots.  Furthermore, since the story was so linear, without towns the game felt like one very long dungeon crawl.  The paradigm shift was a great idea, and was relatively fun for the first part of the game.  But, when the novelty wore off, it was more of a nuisance to having to continuously changed to Combat Clinic just to heal effectively.   But the worst part of this game, by far, was the end game.  The only way to get the 'Ultimate Weapons' was to spend hours grinding to get enough money.  There is almost no point in end game leveling, because by that point your characters will be strong enough to easily take out 95% of the enemies of the game.  As for the remaining 5%,  even if you spend the several hours it takes to max out your stats, you are still going to get 1-hit by them... so whats the point?    Finally, far too many enemies have the 'death ability' (forget its high proc rate) for a game that only requires 1 character to die to have a game over.  The only way to usually avoid this is to pack on accessories and hope for the best.    Sometimes it just makes ya want to throw your controller through the TV. "
I can respect this, there were a few things that made me a tad iffy, but all in all, this and 12 are the only FF's (excluding Crisis Core, Dissidia and Dirge of Cerberus) I could effectively play. I liked the changes and I'm glad they decided to spice it up a bit instead of always stale turn based. I liked tha you could see the enemy and chose to engage or not (again much like 12)  I've tried to be an FF fan and could never get into them, the random battles pissed me off like no other and I generally hate most types of turn base combat, so that's to this (and 12) I was able to fully enjoy a Final fantasy and not throw my own controller at a TV and scream.  Some of the content that made you not like the game made me love it. This will never be the worst Final fantasy by any means (12 takes that for lack of engaging story XP) It's different and i think it shined for it. "
As a series, Final Fantasy has always been about experimentation and changing things up, even as far back as Final Fantasy II, when the gameplay involved an almost Oblivion-like stat raising system in combat.  Some entries feel more restrained, while others feel more daring, but even when the series has played it safe, it hasn't been a terrible, or even necessarily bad experience, at least for me.  I like that Final Fantasy XIII does what it does.  To me, the characters were engaging, the story was interesting and the combat was fantastic.  I enjoyed it on its own terms, and didn't try comparing it to entries like Final Fantasy VI too much because they are completely separate styles of game.
#132 Posted by ForeignFlight (1 posts) -

Sorry FFXIV lovers, this is a terrible game.  I had the opportunity to play it for a few days with a friend.  I'll list the reasons to make it easy: 

1)  Installation and updates were incredibly frustrating.

At first I spent an entire afternoon (about 6-7 hours) trying to use the dloader provided with the game.  It would frequently hand at the last 99%.  Eventually, I discovered that FFXIV just created bittorrent files and dloaded from there, so I found the tracker and dloaded the individual patches myself.  Once I realize they had to be manually moved into the FFXIV folder, I was good to go.  Without that workaround, I wouldn't have been able to play.   Not a good start. 

2) It was impossible to complete the tutorial mission without exploiting the encounter if you created a gathering character. 

I chose a Miner and my friend was a Pugilist.  We had this cool idea that he would kill dudes and I would mine up all the minerals.  Well, the Miner has a single ability called "Throw Stone" which does 1 point of damage.  Oh yeah, and the first encounter had three Metroid looking creatures with several hundred hit points.  I eventually had to drag the mobs to NPC's on the boat to kill them.  Seriously, did anyone ever test this?  It was <5 minutes into the game. 

3) The map is nearly useless.

It was difficult to locate yourself on the map because it overlaid the screen with high transparency.  Also, I eventually realized that the strange writing on the map was English...barely.  The font was so hard to read I had no idea for the first hour. 

4) Navigation was hellish. 

I had no idea how to get out of the starting city for the first 30 minutes.  Mostly because I had no idea where I was on the map, and two out of the three city exits had an invisible barrier with no explanation. 

5) The Naming Conventions for quests is confusing in its redundancy.

Guildleves vs Levequests? Ok, are we talking about guilds, or levels, or quests? Or all three at once?  Making something esoteric for the purpose of being esoteric isn't slick or clever, it's unnecessary and frustrating. 

6) Buying player made items means visiting every single person's vendor.

Essentially, players create a personal shop that they leave out, which looks like a kneeling person.  All the hub areas were crawling with them, and in some cases it required over a minute to display them all on your screen.  This was the first 48 hours of open beta.  How will you be able to find anything if this game achieves 100,000's of subscribers?  This method of player vendors has zero scalability, which means the more popular it is the less effective it will become. 

7)  The relationship between mob types and their relative strength is incongruous. 

Sometimes you'll kill wolves with impunity, but accidentally attack a bug and get crushed.  This would be ok if these "bugs" were in a much higher level zone, but you expect some sort of relationship in power between mobs in close proximity. (i.e. If you can kill wolves in the area, the bugs shouldn't be more difficult. 

8)  The control system was developed exclusively for consoles, and it shows. 

Unlike a PC control scheme which benefits from a breadth of options (i.e. all the keys you have in front of you), a console controller needs to rely on menu depth in order to cover all the commands.  This means that reaching your inventory from the main screen was no less than three button presses.  In a console game this could be forgiven, and may even be necessary.  If a game is released on the PC that's unacceptable.  Hell, I can use a program to bind keyboard commands my controller.  Why can't I use keybindings to shortcut oft-used commands?  This was a serious lack of design attention and the person responsible for this needs to read up on Controller Design 101.

9) The game somehow mates linearity with a lack of focus. 

Leaving the city was a perfect example.  I had no idea where I was supposed to go, as in there was no "bringing you up to speed" or motivation.  Eventually, none of the city exits worked except the one, so the linearity was there.  It just never brought you to that conclusion, whether by slick design or a simple tutorial interface.   That's how a game can have linearity and no focus.

I left this one for last because it's more of a cumulative observation, not based on any single factor but a combination. 

10) FInal Fantasy XIV is simply not fun. 

Whether it's the vague race and class description that tell you little about the actual abilities of the character, the cities that create complexity instead of organizing player functions, the marriage of linearity and a lack of focus, or the game's piss-poor ability to guide you in the beginning stages, it just wasn't very fun. 

Sorry peeps.  I was really looking forward to this game, and now I feel let-down.  If I can make a comment about japanese games that I've seen recently.  They've really perfected their design process.  It's just 20 years old.  We've come up with better ways to do nearly everything in Game Design.  Square has made some of the best games in the 80's and 90's, but this is the 21st century.  Learn some new tricks or get left behind. 
#133 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@ForeignFlight: Why are you talking about FFXIV this is an FF13 blog.. please tank your rant to the other board. XP Also considering this i your first post, hello, but, wrong board kiddo.

@Hailinel said:
As a series, Final Fantasy has always been about experimentation and changing things up, even as far back as Final Fantasy II, when the gameplay involved an almost Oblivion-like stat raising system in combat.  Some entries feel more restrained, while others feel more daring, but even when the series has played it safe, it hasn't been a terrible, or even necessarily bad experience, at least for me.  I like that Final Fantasy XIII does what it does.  To me, the characters were engaging, the story was interesting and the combat was fantastic.  I enjoyed it on its own terms, and didn't try comparing it to entries like Final Fantasy VI too much because they are completely separate styles of game. "
Agreed. (didn't see this post before XP)
#134 Posted by Dookysharpgun (586 posts) -
http://www.giantbomb.com/final-fantasy-xiii/61-20664/user-reviews/?review_id=18742

This....
#135 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

It's ok if you like it, but we can hate whatever we want.

#136 Posted by Hailinel (24962 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" It's ok if you like it, but we can hate whatever we want. "
You're free not to like something, but it's better that you explain why.  Statements like yours here are nothing more than iterations of "I can hate something just 'cause."
#137 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @kingzetta said:
" It's ok if you like it, but we can hate whatever we want. "
You're free not to like something, but it's better that you explain why.  Statements like yours here are nothing more than iterations of "I can hate something just 'cause." "
Hating things for stupid or no reason is what separates us from the animals, or brings us closer I'm not sure.
#138 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" Hating things for stupid or no reason is what separates us from the animals, or brings us closer I'm not sure. "
The hell are you even saying?
#139 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1770 posts) -

FF13 commits the cardinal RPG sin of not allowing you (the option of) direct control over all your party members. That's why I hate it. 

#140 Posted by DrRandle (1203 posts) -

"dont like the scout class and think its for noobs? dont use it rather than bitching about it. Its there as an option  if you dont like the option then dont use it.." That's...not.. the same thing at all. But regardless... I don't think the things you mentioned are what really make Final Fantasy 13 the pile of bad game that it is. Even still, that's not what I'm here to argue. I'm here to use your argument against you.

If I don't like the autobattle, easy battle when I'm not using auto battle, shitty characters, terrible story, and linear world... Don't play it"

And you know what? If you think it has a great battle system, amazing story, engaging characters (Hope? Engaging? Really?), and a brilliantly crafted world.Then awesome. Play it. Enjoy it. Stop feeling the need to come here and tell people why they're wrong and you're right and just enjoy it. This is what's wrong with gamers and games press.

Chill out. Final Fantasy is doing just fine, you don't need to jump in to save it.

#141 Posted by Seedofpower (3931 posts) -
#142 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Despite the game being a bit linear I really did enjoy playing FFXIII and I loved the music, the soundtrack is one of the best I've heard.

#143 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -

I feel like I've already posted here a year ago, but I'll say it again:

Final Fantasy XIII is a great game. When people reviewed it by comparing it to older Final Fantasy games, they were bad reviewers.

(Brad was pretty fair with his review - even though I largely disagreed with it)

#144 Posted by protomessiah (49 posts) -

Just my opinion, but Final Fantasy XIII is a badly written and badly narrated corridor crawl with good graphics and horrible characters.

#145 Posted by Soap (3594 posts) -
@protomessiah said:
" Just my opinion, but Final Fantasy XIII is a badly written and badly narrated corridor crawl with good graphics and horrible characters. "
This is the most accurate review of FFXIII I've ever read, I couldn't agree more. 
#146 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

The battle system, graphics, and music are the only thing I liked about FFXIII. The overall structure of the game is just bad though. Just walking forward constantly with zero exploration and tutorials for half the game. The game opens up only toward the end after you've spent 80% of the game on Cocoon. And there's not even anything worth exploring once it opens up. It's just optional monsters to fight. Cause you know, it's not like you get tired of the battles after you've fought 10,000 of them by the time you get to Pulse.

#147 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@Dookysharpgun said:

"
As a huge Final Fantasy fan, I've always enjoyed the deep engaging storyline, the relatable cast of characters 

What Final Fantasy games are you playing?
#148 Posted by XenoNick (1408 posts) -

The combat was fairly decent. Only thing that made me stick through it to the end.

#149 Posted by drac96 (671 posts) -
#150 Edited by vidiot (2737 posts) -

Was this thread, that was already at it's time of conception dealt with a subject that's been debated to death, brought back to life in-order to advertise a user review?
Now we get to talk about all this stuff again? How about I just post a link to my thoughts, that I wrote a year ago. I think I'm allowed to do that.

*Waves to people in the past*
EDIT:
Screwed up on the original link.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.