Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Why is FFXIII PS3 exclusive in Japan?

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By L4wz

Well it is going to be Multiplatform on the PS3 and 360 in North America and Europe so why will it only be on the PS3 in Japan?
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

This one has puzzled me quite a bit. Probably to save SqaureEnix's last remaining reputation with the Japanese audience, I don't know. Not that it really matters to most of us though.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By L4wz

I know, I was just wondering for a while

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

I'd imagine because either Microsoft didn't give them enough money or Sony gave them enough money.  Probably a combination of those.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Because no one will buy it on 360 in Japan.  That's why.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Karmum

X360 games don't generally sell well in Japan. I assume Sqaure thinks the effort wouldn't be worth the sales. After all, more people own a PS3 than X360 in Japan, so chances are the PS3 version would sell more.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By animateria

Square probably thought it wouldn't be worth it.

Japan is pretty loyal to their own hardware companies.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By beargirl1
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Because no one will buy it on 360 in Japan.  That's why. "
    this 
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Andorski
    @FiestaUnicorn said:
    " I'd imagine because either Microsoft didn't give them enough money or Sony gave them enough money.  Probably a combination of those. "
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Because no one will buy it on 360 in Japan.  That's why. "

Both seem like reasonable explanations.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @L4wz said:
    " Well it is going to be Multiplatform on the PS3 and 360 in North America and Europe so why will it only be on the PS3 in Japan? "
    Look at PS3's market share in Japan.  In Japan, the PS3 outsold the xbox 360 around 3 to 1, so far.   So they can afford not to sell the Xbox 360 version there.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Diamond

The word was they weren't developing the 360 version along side the PS3 version, so making that port requires extra development time.  Even if it's a little time, it's probably not worth holding up the Japanese release as 360 has a small installed base there.

If it had been made on 360 from day one as well as PS3, I think they'd still release it in Japan.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZenaxPure

Yep as others have said, the market really isn't there. Honestly I assume most people in Japan with a 360 probably own a PS3 anyway by now.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By m1k3

As stated, the sales in japan are gonna soo poor in japan. plus in japan there are more ps3 units than 360 in homes.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Randolph

Because the sales of the 360 version could not possibly be enough in Japan to warrant the cost of producing boxes, manuals, and pressing discs.  People in Japan just do not want 360 games.  Bayonetta on PS3 is far and away outselling the 360 version so far, and it's been well known that the game is blatantly better on the 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because no one would buy it for the 360 in Japan.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive
    im pretty sure microsoft paid them a ton of money to port it to 360 in america so they could have at least one "holy shit?!" thing to mention at e3.
    asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By asurastrike
    @L4wz said:

" Well it is going to be Multiplatform on the PS3 and 360 in North America and Europe so why will it only be on the PS3 in Japan? "

Because even if all 12 people who own a 360 in Japan buy FFXIII, they won't make any money.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vidiot

Because their Square, and for every positive step forward they do, they have to take another step either backward or off to the side. 

It's simply another Square oddity. 
    Like releasing a demo packaged in a re-release of film you already own and claiming downloadable demo's are exclusive to the west, or the absurdity of "will they", "will they not" make a Final Fantasy VII remake, or concluding that the reason why there are no new entries in the Chrono series is because the DS port didn't sell well, or only having one voice track on a blu-ray disk, or concluding that few months for releasing an English localized copy is something new, or claiming that Final Fantasy is a genre (personal favorite :D), or....yeah, it goes on forever.  
    (Holy crap, I just did Holden Caulfield there. GO ONE SENTENCE PARAGRAPH!!!!)

It's just weird, and in some cases pretty stupid. Nothing that terrible. 
    I'm still a fan, of certain teams of individuals in the giant bloated mess that is Square. 
    In the case of releasing the Japanese version only on the Ps3 there, I assume the logic is to appeal to their Japanese base. Many people point to the lack of install base in regards to the Ps3 versus the 360, I can agree to that. I can also agree that getting your copy, of your game on as many platforms as possible is also a viable business practice. I can easily see sales of 360's getting a jump, similar to what happened to Vesperia. 

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " im pretty sure microsoft paid them a ton of money to port it to 360 in america so they could have at least one "holy shit?!" thing to mention at e3. "
    I wouldn't exactly go down that exact line of thinking. As far as reputation this generation of games goes the 360 has far more appeal than the ps3 does for people hungering for JRPGs. While a few games have eventually been ported to PS3 the 360 still has far more JRPGs on it, and obviously the 360 overall has outsold the PS3 outside of Japan so it is just logical for FF13 to come out on 360. 

It is no secret that if FF13 came out on the 360 in Japan the PS3 version would wipe the floor with it, however, once the game has been out for a while if you exclude the Japanese numbers I honestly think the 360 and PS3 version will be tied for amount sold and would not be surprised at all if the 360 version outsold the PS3 version.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " im pretty sure microsoft paid them a ton of money to port it to 360 in america so they could have at least one "holy shit?!" thing to mention at e3. "
    I somehow doubt it had anything to do with a particular company paying them money to release/not release it on other system.

FFXIII is costing Square billions, even if it turns out to be one of the best selling games ever, they may still not make a lot of money from it.  It's multiplatorm, simply because it'll sell more copies that way.  The same reason practically everything else is multiplatform these days too.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

Sales of a 360 version would be tiny in comparison to numbers on PS3, it would most probably be a waste of money to bring it out on 360 natively.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By K0rN
    @Asurastrike said:
    "@L4wz said:

Because even if all 12 people who own a 360 in Japan buy FFXIII, they won't make any money. "

lol 

In case you are wondering the real reason why is because Sony and SE have an exclusivity deal in Japan but not anywhere else.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By natetodamax

Because the 360 doesn't sell well in Japan.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#24  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @Diamond said:
    " The word was they weren't developing the 360 version along side the PS3 version, so making that port requires extra development time.  Even if it's a little time, it's probably not worth holding up the Japanese release as 360 has a small installed base there.  If it had been made on 360 from day one as well as PS3, I think they'd still release it in Japan. "
    ^This. Seriously guys, if Japan had a 360 port ready for their launch I think Sqaure-Enix would've put it out. Even if it only sold 30,000 units, that's still money.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By KaosAngel

Who would buy it?  Everyone who owns a 360 in Japan more than likely has a PS3...and no idiot would pick the 360 version over the PS3 version if they have a HDTV and full 5.1 speaker setup.

vedicardi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vedicardi

I think it's because there are no 360 owners in Japan and Microsoft has spent far too much money on 360 marketing over there anyway for them to try to get this on 360.

dyslekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dyslekt

so few ps3´s in JP, and maybe some money hat.

ReaperOfLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By ReaperOfLiving

Even if anyone ACTUALLY has a 360 in japan they would buy it on the better system.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jNerd

Because Microsoft realizes that they will ONLY lose money venturing into that territory. If they do ever do it, it'll be a Limited Edition release.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Demyx

Possibly they didn't want to have to delay the game to prepare a 360 port.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31  Edited By the8bitNacho

Because Xbox 360 software sales in Japan are abysmal.

K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By K0rN

You guys are all wrong, it's like I said Sony and SE have a contract, even though the Xbox 360 does poorly in Japan, that didn't stop all the other multiplatform games from releasing both versions there.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shadows_kill

they already know that in japan it will sell amazingly on ps3 so they wont need to put it on 360. while in US they have doubts so they are porting it.. thats what i think but it could also be some $ from MS

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By KaosAngel
    @K0rN said:
    " You guys are all wrong, it's like I said Sony and SE have a contract, even though the Xbox 360 does poorly in Japan, that didn't stop all the other multiplatform games from releasing both versions there. "
    Uh...there are quite a bit of multiplatform games here in Tokyo that only come out for PS3.
    Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nekroskop

I hope this game bombs. Square Enix needs to be knocked off their throne. I played the game and I've come to the conclusion that it's not very good at all
    K0rN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By K0rN
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @K0rN said:
    " You guys are all wrong, it's like I said Sony and SE have a contract, even though the Xbox 360 does poorly in Japan, that didn't stop all the other multiplatform games from releasing both versions there. "
    Uh...there are quite a bit of multiplatform games here in Tokyo that only come out for PS3. "

Like what?
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By RobotHamster

Because its the right system of the two to be on.

Deadend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deadend
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @TwoOneFive said:
    I somehow doubt it had anything to do with a particular company paying them money to release/not release it on other system.  FFXIII is costing Square billions, even if it turns out to be one of the best selling games ever, they may still not make a lot of money from it.  It's multiplatorm, simply because it'll sell more copies that way.  The same reason practically everything else is multiplatform these days too. "
    Millions not billions no way in hell a game will cost billions to make until inflation gets so high your paying $100 for a bag of chips at the store.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.