Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Will the US release have Japanese voice acting?

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By juice8367

I remember there being a rumor about it but it might have been just fanboy/fangirl wishful thinking.  Has anything been said yet?

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By delta_ass

No, I'm pretty sure they're not going to use Japanese voice actors to do English voice overs for the US release.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Originally I believe they were going to put it, but when it became multiplatform on 360, the 360 didn't have enough space on the discs without having it be a retarded amount of discs, so to keep both versions the same feature wise, they removed it.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By raviolisumo

The US release does not have JP voices.

RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By RainVillain

I'm hoping maybe the Blu Ray's capacity will allow it for the PS3, but knowing MGS4's "uncompressed sound" led to only one voice track for the NA version, It seems unlikely... 

360 version I doubt it even more because of the space issue. 
    Let's hope so on both counts though!

juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By juice8367

Thats too bad.  I wonder what the reaction will be from 360 owners when SquareEnix eventually announces how many discs it would be.  As far as I know its only comming out on 360 in the US right?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @juice8367 said:

" Thats too bad.  I wonder what the reaction will be from 360 owners when SquareEnix eventually announces how many discs it would be.  As far as I know its only comming out on 360 in the US right? "

They've said it would be 3.
    Still hoping they make the Japanese voice tracks downloadable for both systems, for those that want them though.  That way they're not taking up disc space.

The game is being released in Europe, etc, as well on the 360.  Just not Japan.
    juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By juice8367
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @juice8367 said:

" Thats too bad.  I wonder what the reaction will be from 360 owners when SquareEnix eventually announces how many discs it would be.  As far as I know its only comming out on 360 in the US right? "

They've said it would be 3. Still hoping they make the Japanese voice tracks downloadable for both systems, for those that want them though.  That way they're not taking up disc space. "
    There's an idea.
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By 02sfraser

the PS3 has Japanese voices but the 360 version doesn't since the Japanese voices have only been made for PS3.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Adamantium
    @02sfraser said:

" the PS3 has Japanese voices but the 360 version doesn't since the Japanese voices have only been made for PS3. "

Is this confirmed? Link maybe? That really would be sweet, but I can't see them localizing both versions and adding Japanese voices to the PS3 version, but I would totally love to see it happen.

Also, 3 discs? Seriously? That really sucks, but I guess it's better than there being no 360 version at all... everyone deserves to play Final Fantasy, IMO.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Adamantium said:
    " @02sfraser said:

" the PS3 has Japanese voices but the 360 version doesn't since the Japanese voices have only been made for PS3. "

Is this confirmed? Link maybe? That really would be sweet, but I can't see them localizing both versions and adding Japanese voices to the PS3 version, but I would totally love to see it happen.  Also, 3 discs? Seriously? That really sucks, but I guess it's better than there being no 360 version at all... everyone deserves to play Final Fantasy, IMO. "
    It's actually confirmed neither version will.  
    But again, it'll hopefully at least come as DLC.

And it's all been discussed before, but I don't really see why multiple discs is a problem.  It worked well enough during the Playstation era, and it's not exactly difficult to swap discs.. It takes less than a minute to do and if anything only made those big moments where you have to swap discs after more dramatic.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus
    @juice8367: I'm guessing the reaction will be something like "Time to slap these dics in the xbox and install them, and never think about it again. I'm so glad I didn't have to buy a just to play Final Fantasy."
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Adamantium
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" It's actually confirmed neither version will.   But again, it'll hopefully at least come as DLC.And it's all been discussed before, but I don't really see why multiple discs is a problem.  It worked well enough during the Playstation era, and it's not exactly difficult to swap discs.. It takes less than a minute to do and if anything only made those big moments where you have to swap discs after more dramatic. "

Aw too bad about the voices. It'd be a nice feature to be able to swap on/off at my leisure.

Maybe I misrepresented my opinion. I don't think having multiple discs is a problem in itself, I just think we should be way past the PSX era where it became the norm for FF games and others (like MGS) to come on 3-4 discs. Frankly if I didn't have a PS3 I'd definitely buy it on 360 and count my blessings that I could even play it at all, 3 discs or no. I just wish M$ had planned better and not backed HD-DVD, it seems to be becoming a drag on multiplatform development at this time, and it's too early for them to consider coming out with another console, they're right in the meaty part of their profit margin on this generation of console.
    angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By angelkanarias

Now you know how I felt when Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 came in Spanish

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Adamantium said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" It's actually confirmed neither version will.   But again, it'll hopefully at least come as DLC.And it's all been discussed before, but I don't really see why multiple discs is a problem.  It worked well enough during the Playstation era, and it's not exactly difficult to swap discs.. It takes less than a minute to do and if anything only made those big moments where you have to swap discs after more dramatic. "

Aw too bad about the voices. It'd be a nice feature to be able to swap on/off at my leisure.  Maybe I misrepresented my opinion. I don't think having multiple discs is a problem in itself, I just think we should be way past the PSX era where it became the norm for FF games and others (like MGS) to come on 3-4 discs. Frankly if I didn't have a PS3 I'd definitely buy it on 360 and count my blessings that I could even play it at all, 3 discs or no. I just wish M$ had planned better and not backed HD-DVD, it seems to be becoming a drag on multiplatform development at this time, and it's too early for them to consider coming out with another console, they're right in the meaty part of their profit margin on this generation of console. "
    In all fairness, I don't think backing HD-DVD was a mistake.  The only reason it died was because of $ony buying the rights to practically every movie studio in existance, which meant there was nothing that could be released on HD-DVD.  If Microsoft had done something like that, they would have been sued left, right and centre.  When it's someone else, it seems to be ignored.

Besides, I don't really see why it's seen as a "last-gen" thing, it takes mere seconds to switch discs and it only needs to be done at two key points.  Perhaps Sony was right to build on a bigger disc format to begin with, but it made the console very unappealing and expensive when it first launched, and the only reason they've managed to turn that around is by taking a massive hit to their profits.  Forza 3 got around the limited DVD space by simply coming with a second disc that can be installed to the HDD, eliminating the need to switch discs mid play through, and there's no reason other games couldn't do the same, if need be.

So I think their real mistake was making the HDD optional, as that's the only thing from preventing most games from taking advantage of that.  But if Grand Theft Auto V simply comes with a "HDD required" sticker on the box, I don't think anyone's going to be particularly bothered.
    Terry_Bogard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Terry_Bogard
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Originally I believe they were going to put it, but when it became multiplatform on 360, the 360 didn't have enough space on the discs without having it be a retarded amount of discs, so to keep both versions the same feature wise, they removed it. "
    They never said they were putting it in... evar!!!!! 
    02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 02sfraser
    @Adamantium: 

Blu-ray will have room for both the Japanese voice track and the English one.

In a recent Q&A with IGN, FF XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase explained that without the kind of memory available on Blu-ray, there’s simply not enough room on the 360 to implement two vocal tracks. He added, “Are there many people who would like to play with Japanese voices?”

Not that this will matter to most people, but nice to have the option.

http://www.ps3blog.net/2009/05/13/ps3-version-of-final-fantasy-xiii-will-have-2-audio-tracks-360-only-1/

guess not confirmed but i think it is on the table. it is what i heard. also i didn't say anything about how many discs it would have haha. i would guess 3-4 though
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Originally I believe they were going to put it, but when it became multiplatform on 360, the 360 didn't have enough space on the discs without having it be a retarded amount of discs, so to keep both versions the same feature wise, they removed it. "
    True. At first they were looking to include the voice tracks in the disc (due to many years of us fans requesting them) but due to space compromise in the 360 version, and having a "contract" to give both version the exact same content. 

It was confirmed several times this past few months
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

I need Japanese voices to play this. It's one of the sole reasons why I didn't play FF12 much. I found the voices to be incredibly irritating.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Adamantium
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" In all fairness, I don't think backing HD-DVD was a mistake.  The only reason it died was because of $ony buying the rights to practically every movie studio in existance, which meant there was nothing that could be released on HD-DVD.  If Microsoft had done something like that, they would have been sued left, right and centre.  When it's someone else, it seems to be ignored. Besides, I don't really see why it's seen as a "last-gen" thing, it takes mere seconds to switch discs and it only needs to be done at two key points.  Perhaps Sony was right to build on a bigger disc format to begin with, but it made the console very unappealing and expensive when it first launched, and the only reason they've managed to turn that around is by taking a massive hit to their profits.  Forza 3 got around the limited DVD space by simply coming with a second disc that can be installed to the HDD, eliminating the need to switch discs mid play through, and there's no reason other games couldn't do the same, if need be.  So I think their real mistake was making the HDD optional, as that's the only thing from preventing most games from taking advantage of that.  But if Grand Theft Auto V simply comes with a "HDD required" sticker on the box, I don't think anyone's going to be particularly bothered. "

You make some good points, but they still lend credence to what I'm trying to point out. First, I never said it was a mistake for them to back HD-DVD, I just wish they hadn't, so multiplatform development can move forward instead of having these awkward bogged-down releases and press statements like the one posted above. Personally, I hate the fanboy wars, and the lack of parity between the systems only drives the type of competition that generates profit for both companies, $ony and M$; hypothetical fanboy wanking (edit: that's not directed at you personally, I find you to be quite reasonable and articulate about your opinion on the matter) about which system is better when they're nearly equal on a great number of levels. Instead of having fun competing on our actual games, we're stuck not having fun arguing the merits of our "favorite" platforms... it's silly and a waste of time; everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It's far better for the individual corporations when gamers sport their XBOX or PS affiliation on their sleeves than it is for the gaming community as a whole, plain and simple. I doubt anybody would have sued Microsoft for making the decision to buy up rights in the studio sector, since their legal troubles have almost all been exclusively related to the Windows platform, and not the XBOX marketplace or their forays into Hollywood. IMO, good on Sony for taking said hit to their profits; they've proven that a big-name company can care more about pushing technology forward than maximizing profit margins at the expense of innovation.

You're ceratinly entitled to your opinion that multiple discs and required disc-switching shouldn't be viewed as a "last-gen" kind of thing. However I think you'll be hard pressed to find a great many people who agree with that. It comes down to a matter of progress: bigger, faster, more memory, more fidelity, these are the things that define progress in the technology sector. The ability to maintain only one copy of a disc, instead of two or three (I remember breaking one disc of a FF set by sitting on it and having to repurchase the entire game). Sure it isn't hard to switch discs, but that doesn't mean it isn't archaic. It isn't difficult to run down to Blockbuster and rent a movie. It only takes a couple of minutes. But it's faster, easier, and more convenient to have movies arrive at your doorstep, which is why Netflix is such a hit, and has now been integrated into gaming platforms and cable TV. Progress.

I doubt anybody  who owns and uses a 360 is going to have a problem with multiple discs, and they shoudn't. But again, that doesn't mean that the effect it has on both popular opinion and the development/marketing sectors is going to be positive, or a step forward. It's just another thing gamers have to fight about, and it would be nice if it was a non-issue.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By pause422

I believe it was said it definitely wont be included, or only included on the PS3 version..not sure.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Adamantium
    @02sfraser said:
    " @Adamantium: 

Blu-ray will have room for both the Japanese voice track and the English one.

In a recent Q&A with IGN, FF XIII producer Yoshinori Kitase explained that without the kind of memory available on Blu-ray, there’s simply not enough room on the 360 to implement two vocal tracks. He added, “Are there many people who would like to play with Japanese voices?”

Not that this will matter to most people, but nice to have the option.

http://www.ps3blog.net/2009/05/13/ps3-version-of-final-fantasy-xiii-will-have-2-audio-tracks-360-only-1/ guess not confirmed but i think it is on the table. it is what i heard. also i didn't say anything about how many discs it would have haha. i would guess 3-4 though "
    LOL, well it seems that even the official press is giving some conflicting info on this one. I'd love to see it, even if it was just enabled for DLC on the PSN/XBL. Nice to know that the Japanese producers might be interested to konw that western gamers appreciate the immersion of a Japanese voice track... here's hoping!
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Terry_Bogard said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    They never said they were putting it in... evar!!!!!  "
    They said they were considering it.
    juice8367

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By juice8367

Maybe they would add it in some kinda international version like before.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Meowayne

Adamantium: It's not that people don't have a problem with multiple discs; many people, including me, actually look forward to JRPG disc switching. It's great to have a multiple-disc game, it's great if the game is divided thematically around that (won't be the case with XIII, sadly), and it's totally awesome to complete a disc. How great it was each time you had beaten one of the PSX FF's disc. How great it was to see "Achievement unlocked - 125g: Completed Disc 1" pop up in Lost Odyssey.

You're right in what you say about technology and progress; but to me, the movie rental comparison doesn't work. For me, it's like the decision to turn a page in a book or scroll down on a monitor/kindle. 
    I prefer the first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.