Worth Getting?

#1 Posted by Tacoboy1986 (143 posts) -

I've been considering getting this, but am kind of on the fence about it. I have only played and loved FFIV and FFX. I have heard that XIII is boring, but am willing to give it a shot if someone can convince me otherwise.

#2 Posted by iDarktread (1189 posts) -

I haven't played it, but I own the strategy guide and you should buy the game.

#3 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

It's one of my favorite games ever, if that is worth anything.

#4 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -

Its a great game. Unfortunately, it receives a lot of undeserved flak from the internet masses. 
I enjoyed all of my 66 hours with the game, and it was the first Final Fantasy game I have ever beaten. 
I also have a thing for linear games, so the first several hours did not bother me one bit.

#5 Posted by Anupsis (313 posts) -

I would say go for it. I spent like 60 hours with it and it was time well spent.

#6 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -
@ESREVER said:
" Its a great game. Unfortunately, it receives a lot of undeserved flak from the internet masses."
 
Also what I was going to say. 
 
It is the best Final Fantasy in my humble opinion.
#7 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Yes, play it. Just the visuals and sound alone are worth it. Plus, it's so goddamn cheap now anyway.

#8 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" Yes, play it. Just the visuals and sound alone are worth it. Plus, it's so goddamn cheap now anyway. "
exactly.
#9 Posted by clubsandwich (3795 posts) -

buy it, one of my favourite games EVER, so amazing and beautiful.

#10 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

Can I say yes again?

#11 Posted by awesomeusername (4218 posts) -
@Tacoboy1986:
I played about the first 2 hours of it and I'm mixed. The gameplay is pretty damn fun and you need to strategize a lot in battles, the graphics are probably the best I've seen so far for a game (haven't played Uncharted 2 yet), the story seems like it'll be good and I enjoyed it. The only things I dislike is the characters, I hate all of them. The main character, Lightning, she's a bitch, Snow is all talk and he's a punk, Sazh is fucking annoying, Vanille is more god damn fucking annoying then Sazh, and Hope is a pussy. The game is kind of confusing though. I have no idea what is going on in the game so I'm going to read up on it on it's page here. Also, from what I played, it's very linear but the people here say it stops being linear after a couple hours. All in all, I'd say go for it. Recommended system would be PS3 because I heard it plays better on it.
#12 Posted by EVHKwick (452 posts) -

It's worth a once through, but I don't know how much more you'd get out of it. You might be able to get into the post-game if you really love the battle system.

#13 Posted by m1k3 (1338 posts) -

Its a great game. And at its current price its pretty much well worth it.

#14 Posted by JCGamer (671 posts) -

It's worth a playthrough. The game has one of the best battle systems in a FF game, the graphics are stunning, and the game us fun. If you can get it for cheap, do it.

#15 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -

You can get it for under 20$ now. Sort of makes me regret the 60 I paid launch day. But it was worth every penny then, and it certainly is now.

#16 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -
@awesomeusername said:
" The game is kind of confusing though. I have no idea what is going on in the game so I'm going to read up on it on it's page here. Also, from what I played, it's very linear but the people here say it stops being linear after a couple hours. "
 
One of my major complaints against the game was that it never bothers to give you necessary chunks of information in the story itself. It doesn't even attempt to maybe integrate them into the environment. Instead, you have to thumb through some menus and just read pages and pages of texts. Not doing so can hinder your enjoyment of the first six or seven hours of the game. The reason why I consider this a fault is because the game is so largely story focused. It is designed to constantly funnel your forward to progress the narrative but it fails to make it understandable. If I can't understand a character's plight then I have a hard time relating to them or caring about them. Granted, the information is there for you, but it is delivered in the most half-assed way possible.
 
The game doesn't stay linear for only a couple hours. It stays that way for somewhere between 20-30 hours.
#17 Posted by awesomeusername (4218 posts) -
@IBurningStar said:
" @awesomeusername said:
" The game is kind of confusing though. I have no idea what is going on in the game so I'm going to read up on it on it's page here. Also, from what I played, it's very linear but the people here say it stops being linear after a couple hours. "
 One of my major complaints against the game was that it never bothers to give you necessary chunks of information in the story itself. It doesn't even attempt to maybe integrate them into the environment. Instead, you have to thumb through some menus and just read pages and pages of texts. Not doing so can hinder your enjoyment of the first six or seven hours of the game. The reason why I consider this a fault is because the game is so largely story focused. It is designed to constantly funnel your forward to progress the narrative but it fails to make it understandable. If I can't understand a character's plight then I have a hard time relating to them or caring about them. Granted, the information is there for you, but it is delivered in the most half-assed way possible.  The game doesn't stay linear for only a couple hours. It stays that way for somewhere between 20-30 hours. "
Yeah, I only go to those pages because I hate the exclamation mark that tells you that there's new information. It irritates me. Plus, same with you. I'm not about to read 50 bajillion pages to understand what's going on in the damn game. Why the hell not just explain everything. I had no idea what was happening when I started the game and still have no idea what's happening with all this fal' cie and l' cie and those soldier bad guy mercenary corporation guys. I know Lightnings sister turned into a l' cie and completed her focus and turned to crystal and they all were turned into l' cie. But wtf is the point of a focus? It's so damn confusing I think I just might beat it and wikipedia the story. Also, I just took what others said about the linear thing. It's saddening it stays linear for that long. That itself is turning me off from the game.
#18 Posted by Dtat (1630 posts) -

I think it's worth the 30 bucks it goes for now. Get it on PS3 for sure though. It's good for what it is. I was a huge fan of FFX, and I was pretty disappointed. That said, it's probably worth playing for the price it's at now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.