Would you prefer a male or female main character?

• 115 results
#1 Posted by Sedarati (53 posts) -

#2 Posted by matkey1988 (13 posts) -

dont realy care as long as the game has a good story

#3 Posted by Logan_Aybara (70 posts) -

I like roleplaying female characters more, especially in 3rd person view, as you have something more appealing to look at over the course of the 30+ hours you put into the game.

#4 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

I usually play male, that way I can roleplay myself more.
Interactions with men when playing women characters can be a bit creepy somehow :P.

#5 Posted by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -

I'm interested to see where they take the character, having a female lead is definitely new for FF (aside from X-2). I think as long as they make her a respectable person and lay off the teenage girl cliche's, XIII will be just as good as it would be with a male lead.

#6 Posted by Dan (143 posts) -

I don't really care, as long as it never turns into a horrible FFX-2 style diva-fest

#7 Posted by HipHopHitler (59 posts) -

Does it really matter? I mean, the guys look like girls anyway =P

#8 Posted by SarazinRuin (157 posts) -

Female would be a good change.

#9 Posted by DaveF (231 posts) -

Depends if they're hot. The girls I mean.

#10 Posted by Xeros606 (545 posts) -
HipHopHitler said:
"Does it really matter? I mean, the guys look like girls anyway =P"
generally untrue outside of japan.
and to respond to tc, i have no preference.
#11 Posted by Axersia (1613 posts) -

I don't care too much, but females can be nicer too look at I guess.

I usually roll female characters in MMOs, but I never try to pretend I'm a girl.

#12 Posted by rondof (20 posts) -

It don't matter to me, as long the character is likable.

#13 Posted by Pikachu (449 posts) -

It doesn't really matter to me

#14 Posted by IndieBoy (109 posts) -

I don't really mind either

#15 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -
matkey1988 said:
"dont realy care as long as the game has a good story
"
yes unlike XII BTW your avatar is awesome Unforgotten realms FTW
#16 Posted by NightFireSoldier (3 posts) -

Depends on the story of the game, don't really care either way as long as I am not looking at  TnA just for the sake of marketing to young men even though I am guilty of buying games like that...

#17 Posted by Atlas (2428 posts) -

Don't mind either, but if given the choice I quite like using female characters. Not really sure why. I just like the ladies.

#18 Posted by Feanor (1386 posts) -

They should have pulled a Star Ocean 2 and let you choose.  It would make the game just a little bit less linear.

#19 Posted by exfate (341 posts) -

Female, since there hasn't been an FF with a single female lead. The closest was Terra in VI, but that game doesn't have a real central protagonist. I hope Lightning is actually the main protagonist and they don't go the XII / VI route and have no central focus - I much prefer the notion of the hero/heroine and his/her comrades.

#20 Posted by RabbitKarrot (362 posts) -

Im hoping for the opposite.

I am a big fan of these so called "diva-fests"

#21 Posted by OrcaGT (13 posts) -

Depends on the game, but if given the choice I'd pick female. My reasoning is if you're gonna be staring at your character for 10+ hours it might as well look good.

#22 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I don't care whether it's a male or female... story just better be there. Though I prefer to look at a female sprite when playing a game.

#23 Posted by p0tet (48 posts) -

Metal gear would not be the same with a female, nor would it hurt having a male Tomb raider (as in Uncharted is a great game). So i guess i prefer males. But i always choose females in rpgs/mmo's and games where you have a choice.

#24 Posted by TimeWaffle (944 posts) -

well all the males in jrpg's look like females so it doesn't matter to me

#25 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

I'm split. I kind of like male leads better, but if they can do a female as the lead well, then it doesn't really matter to me.

#26 Posted by CarthX (23 posts) -

In games where you can customise appearance, I always pick the female character as there's always more customisation options for female characters, or at least better options.

#27 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -
p0tet said:
"Metal gear would not be the same with a female, nor would it hurt having a male Tomb raider (as in Uncharted is a great game). So i guess i prefer males. But i always choose females in rpgs/mmo's and games where you have a choice."
So you're a man... but you pick female avatars to display yourself online to everybody else playing the game? You know how many creeps there are in MMOs that want to dance with your avatar while making humping noises through the headset? I don't, but I'm sure there are a lot. :P
#28 Posted by psychomode (784 posts) -

Female, definitely. Lightning is fucking hawt.

#29 Posted by Eisen (129 posts) -

It really does not make much of a difference for me as long as the character itself is developed correctly and fits in well with the story.

#30 Posted by Leon31 (125 posts) -

Doesn't matter as long as the character and story are enjoyable.

#31 Posted by Monty_The_Great (178 posts) -

Its really bad, I know, but I don't buy games that the main character is a female. I don't know, I could just never get into them.

#32 Posted by BlackCurtain (60 posts) -

It really doesn't matter. Lightning looks awesome!

#33 Posted by bigpig33 (97 posts) -

male. cooking and cleaning is borring in video games

did i mean what i said? maybe

#34 Posted by DjiEnn (4 posts) -

Males.

I have the feeling they only choose female to attract more horny little teenagers (am serious).
Cuz the main character in FF13 is more badass than any FF character i've ever seen (she is even more imba than sephiroth, just check the trailers, jumping/flying around like superman at age 20), and its a girl....

A male doing all this would be more plausible to me.

#35 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -
Eisen said:
"It really does not make much of a difference for me as long as the character itself is developed correctly and fits in well with the story.
"
What he said
#36 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -

doestn't really matter.

#37 Posted by Absurd (2934 posts) -

I would prefer a Male.

#38 Posted by KnightsofRound (486 posts) -
matkey1988 said:
"dont realy care as long as the game has a good story
"
This person wins.

But FFVI was a fantastic game and primarily featured Terra and Celes in the spotlight...

And in a genre that is oversaturated with cliche JRPG main characters it's actually nice to see a Final Fantasy game with a female lead character who doesn't look like the max damage she will be able to do is 40 at level 99.
#39 Posted by Trickster (60 posts) -

I think lightning would be a great main character, and afaik it would be the first time a FF game had a female lead.

But really as long as the main character in FFXIII is not quite as annoying and boring as Vaan I'll be happy...Good is he(she/it) freaking annoying..

#40 Posted by Lilja (128 posts) -

I prefer female leads in any game. They feel more real and caring.
But if the lead is supposed to be evil then.. go ahead and make it male :3

#41 Posted by Trickster (60 posts) -
Lilja said:
"I prefer female leads in any game. They feel more real and caring.
But if the lead is supposed to be evil then.. go ahead and make it male :3
"
I actually agree completely, In Mass Effect i have a couple of character, the ones that are good or neutral are all female, while the evil one is a male.
#42 Posted by raahsnavj (43 posts) -

Doesn't matter to me. As long as 'I'm' not a dork through the whole game I could care less if the main character is male or female.

#43 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1062 posts) -

ReTarDedFisHy says that it depends on the style/genre of the game.
Action/Adventure - Guy
RPG - Guy
FPS - Guy
TPS - Guy
FPA - Guy
(insert any other genre) - Guy
Horror - Girl

Presenting a girl in a dark, horrible and lonely place, makes you feel more vulnerable.

#44 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

All the males look like Females in FF anaway so I guess I have no option

#45 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -

to tell the truth a male character

#46 Posted by nubsway (45 posts) -

I would perfer a girl because she would probally be smarter than a male lead.

#47 Posted by LouChou (458 posts) -

I would certainly prefer to stare at the back of a pixelated female for vast quantities of hours than a dude.

#48 Posted by Psytek (174 posts) -

The main characters all look like girls and have girls names... makes no difference really.

#49 Posted by Necros (2 posts) -

I dont really care though a guy would be nice.

#50 Posted by Zaxex (577 posts) -

Depends on the story i suppose, considering the vast majority of games have male protaganists it's refreshing to play ones with females as the lead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.