Wow, Square-Enix, wow.

• 56 results
Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Well, I received my copy of FFXIII on the 12th in the mail from Amazon. This is what was inside.

Disc fail. 
Yup, two disc 2s, one disc 3 and no disc 1. And they could only get me a replacement today. By the way, it was missing the Square-Enix registration codes for the avatar items too. However, it was sealed in every other respect and looked unopened. At least the disc 2 that I had received in my replacement copy was heavily damaged, and both disc 2s in the original copy were flawless.

Has this happened to anybody else in your history of multidisc gaming? When I called Square, their rep says that this is the first instance that their service department has ever heard of such a thing. Is it as rare as they believe? 

Edit: Since this topic is plagued by "Shoulda bought it for PS3", I'm going to say that I don't have a PS3 (for both monetary and preferential reasons). Nor do I plan on getting one until I hear absolute proof that Gran Turismo 5 is better than DiRT 2 and Forza Motorsport 3 combined. If that is, then I'll have moved systems in a flash. The exclusives right now aren't doing it for me, as the only game I want to play is Uncharted 2. I know a friend who basically has most other exclusives and they just aren't that great.
#1 Edited by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Well, I received my copy of FFXIII on the 12th in the mail from Amazon. This is what was inside.

Disc fail. 
Yup, two disc 2s, one disc 3 and no disc 1. And they could only get me a replacement today. By the way, it was missing the Square-Enix registration codes for the avatar items too. However, it was sealed in every other respect and looked unopened. At least the disc 2 that I had received in my replacement copy was heavily damaged, and both disc 2s in the original copy were flawless.

Has this happened to anybody else in your history of multidisc gaming? When I called Square, their rep says that this is the first instance that their service department has ever heard of such a thing. Is it as rare as they believe? 

Edit: Since this topic is plagued by "Shoulda bought it for PS3", I'm going to say that I don't have a PS3 (for both monetary and preferential reasons). Nor do I plan on getting one until I hear absolute proof that Gran Turismo 5 is better than DiRT 2 and Forza Motorsport 3 combined. If that is, then I'll have moved systems in a flash. The exclusives right now aren't doing it for me, as the only game I want to play is Uncharted 2. I know a friend who basically has most other exclusives and they just aren't that great.
#2 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

That is really weird, sucks that you could not play the game till now.
#3 Posted by SkyMasterson (33 posts) -

You know, if you had it on PS3, this wouldn't have been a problem : 0
#4 Edited by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

inb4 "Shoulda got it for PS3".  
Btw that sucks but is a bit funny at the same time.
Edit: Goddamn it! Didn't make it.

#5 Posted by Bones8677 (3170 posts) -

Wow man, that really sucks. Don't know what to tell you. Those packages are packaged by people so it's not absolutely impossible. 

I think most people who have both consoles just went for the PS3 version to save themselves this trouble. Hope the situation gets fully resolved.

#6 Posted by ryoma122 (699 posts) -
@Aus_azn: sucks to be you oh and this wouldnt have happened if u had a ps3
#7 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" Well, I received my copy of FFXIII on the 12th in the mail from Amazon. This is what was inside.
Disc fail. 
Yup, two disc 2s, one disc 3 and no disc 1. And they could only get me a replacement today. By the way, it was missing the Square-Enix registration codes for the avatar items too. However, it was sealed in every other respect and looked unopened. At least the disc 2 that I had received in my replacement copy was heavily damaged, and both disc 2s in the original copy were flawless. Has this happened to anybody else in your history of multidisc gaming? When I called Square, their rep says that this is the first instance that their service department has ever heard of such a thing. Is it as rare as they believe? "
Congrats for getting it on a system that it was not made for!  

Anyways this is Amazon's fault, as they didn't do a quality check. Go complain to them.
#8 Posted by Chuggsy (554 posts) -

Amazon will refund you in a second. They have been nothing but great to me.

#9 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Not gonna lie, that's a little funny.

#10 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Sounds like it was tampered with. It is easy enough to re plastic a game. 

#11 Posted by TheHT (10288 posts) -
@Ace829 said:
" inb4 "Shoulda got it for PS3".   Btw that sucks but is a bit funny at the same time. "
too slow good sir.

never ever had a disc muck up like that. i've had manual muck ups but definitely not discs.
#12 Edited by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

I laughed, then felt bad about it...

#13 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Thinking it over. Since you are also missing the code. Someone messed with your order. Contact amazon and let them know what happened. Speaking of which. What is the code I got with my PS3 version? 

#14 Edited by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -

The problems of 360 owners.

#15 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Chuggsy said:
" Amazon will refund you in a second. They have been nothing but great to me. "
Yes, they did. I got some $10 bucks back because it arrived 3 days late with release-date delivery, and another $10 or so from this fiasco. A similar thing happened with MW2; the first copy came late and its Steelbook was destroyed on arrival. They gave me $10 for late, $10 for destroyed, $20 for preorder credit and sent me a 2nd copy in replacement. Even though I've had problems with them nearly every time I order a game, their responses have always been enough to keep me as a loyal customer.

@The_Laughing_Man
said:
" Sounds like it was tampered with. It is easy enough to re plastic a game.  "
Yeah, that was what I was thinking when I saw it.
#16 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @Chuggsy said:
" Amazon will refund you in a second. They have been nothing but great to me. "
Yes, they did. I got some $10 bucks back because it arrived 3 days late with release-date delivery, and another $10 or so from this fiasco. A similar thing happened with MW2; the first copy came late and its Steelbook was destroyed on arrival. They gave me $10 for late, $10 for destroyed, $20 for preorder credit and sent me a 2nd copy in replacement. Even though I've had problems with them nearly every time I order a game, their responses have always been enough to keep me as a loyal customer.

@The_Laughing_Man
said:
" Sounds like it was tampered with. It is easy enough to re plastic a game.  "
Yeah, that was what I was thinking when I saw it. "
I see it done all the time.  

Hair dryer plus certain plastic wrap. DONE! Contact amazon now. 
#17 Posted by yakov456 (1873 posts) -

Oooooo, I would have been pissed!

#18 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said: 
I see it done all the time.   Hair dryer plus certain plastic wrap. DONE! Contact amazon now.  "
They've already fixed the issue; I have a new, intact and complete copy now. It was reported and the first copy is already on its way back.
#19 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said: 
I see it done all the time.   Hair dryer plus certain plastic wrap. DONE! Contact amazon now.  "
They've already fixed the issue; I have a new, intact and complete copy now. It was reported and the first copy is already on its way back. "
Who was the delivery company? 
#20 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Hahahah, I've heard the first third of the game is boring anyways. Just skip it and play Disc 2 twice...

#21 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Considering how most of the best current-gen multi-platform games are made for the Xbox and merely ported to the PS3, you can't blame someone for assuming this isn't just the case here also :P

#22 Edited by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:

" @Aus_azn said:

" @The_Laughing_Man said: 

They've already fixed the issue; I have a new, intact and complete copy now. It was reported and the first copy is already on its way back. "
Who was the delivery company?  "
Both times, UPS. Never had any problems with them before, and I presume this may have been done at Amazon's warehouse, as the shipping packaging was 100% perfect. Only the game within was not. 

@sofacitysweetheart
 said: 

" Considering how most of the best current-gen multi-platform games are made for the Xbox and merely ported to the PS3, you can't blame someone for assuming this isn't just the case here also :P "

Nah, I was perfectly aware. Just not prepared to switch systems yet. I've already done so once this generation (Wii->Xbox) and twice in the previous one (dead PS2->GCN->PS2).
#23 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2041 posts) -

Damn, that's unfortunate. Good thing the problem is being taken care of as soon as possible though.

#24 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:
" Well, I received my copy of FFXIII on the 12th in the mail from Amazon. This is what was inside.
Disc fail. 
Yup, two disc 2s, one disc 3 and no disc 1. And they could only get me a replacement today. By the way, it was missing the Square-Enix registration codes for the avatar items too. However, it was sealed in every other respect and looked unopened. At least the disc 2 that I had received in my replacement copy was heavily damaged, and both disc 2s in the original copy were flawless. Has this happened to anybody else in your history of multidisc gaming? When I called Square, their rep says that this is the first instance that their service department has ever heard of such a thing. Is it as rare as they believe?  Edit: Since this topic is plagued by "Shoulda bought it for PS3", I'm going to say that I don't have a PS3 (for both monetary and preferential reasons). Nor do I plan on getting one until I hear absolute proof that Gran Turismo 5 is better than DiRT 2 and Forza Motorsport 3 combined. If that is, then I'll have moved systems in a flash. The exclusives right now aren't doing it for me, as the only game I want to play is Uncharted 2. I know a friend who basically has most other exclusives and they just aren't that great. "
Actually, good sir, I believe the real fail in this picture is that carpet...
#25 Posted by Bucketdeth (7981 posts) -
@SkyMasterson said:
" You know, if you had it on PS3, this wouldn't have been a problem : 0 "
Funny and fanboyish as that sounds, it's true lol.
#26 Posted by spankingaddict (2646 posts) -

thats happened to me before :(

#27 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

haha, thats pretty funny but that also sucks you could not play it

#28 Posted by wh1terav3n (652 posts) -
@demontium:  Heh, strange I distinctly remember them making it for 360.
#29 Posted by AURON570 (1666 posts) -

Well the only multi-disc games I bought include FFs 7, 8 and 9. and Guild Wars. and they've all come with the correct discs. Hope you are enjoying FF13!

#30 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@wh1terav3n said:
" @demontium:  Heh, strange I distinctly remember them making it for 360. "
Me too, I also remember them making it exclusive in Japan (its origin) to the PS3, and giving the US this crappy 3-Disc down-res version on the 360. 

And fuck people please don't get confused: the 360 is an amazing system (go look at my achievements and tell me I don't love it), but this game was made for PS3 and then got a quick port to the 360 to make a buck.
#31 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @wh1terav3n said:
Me too, I also remember them making it exclusive in Japan (its origin) to the PS3, and giving the US this crappy 3-Disc down-res version on the 360.  And fuck people please don't get confused: the 360 is an amazing system (go look at my achievements and tell me I don't love it), but this game was made for PS3 and then got a quick port to the 360 to make a buck. "
It's still completley playable on 360...

Basically what you're saying is because this game has worse graphics then the PS3 version it's a piece of crap. So by your logic. Basically 90% of multi-plat games are crap on PS3.

Because the only difference between the 2 is the graphics.
#32 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @demontium said:
" @wh1terav3n said:
Me too, I also remember them making it exclusive in Japan (its origin) to the PS3, and giving the US this crappy 3-Disc down-res version on the 360.  And fuck people please don't get confused: the 360 is an amazing system (go look at my achievements and tell me I don't love it), but this game was made for PS3 and then got a quick port to the 360 to make a buck. "
It's still completley playable on 360...  Basically what you're saying is because this game has worse graphics then the PS3 version it's a piece of crap. So by your logic. Basically 90% of multi-plat games are crap on PS3.  Because the only difference between the 2 is the graphics. "
Just as Bayonetta is playable on the PS3, but why would ANYONE get that version?
#33 Posted by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -

Shame you wasn't missing disc 3 instead of disc 1, else you could've already started it.  I just realized also that if you had two buddies and two of you bought the game, you could do this to get the other one the game for free.  You only need disc 1 to play the game after an install.

But you'd have to be a bastard to do that. 

This kind of stuff happens all the time though, just sucks it's happened to you twice.  If your feeling vengeful you should write a letter and demand the person who made the err be fired.  He'll probably commit seppuku to atone for his dishonor.  His wife and kids will understand though.

#34 Posted by Captain_Insano (1514 posts) -
@Burns098356GX said:
" @Aus_azn said:
Disc fail. 
Yup, two disc 2s, one disc 3 and no disc 1. And they could only get me a replacement today. By the way, it was missing the Square-Enix registration codes for the avatar items too. However, it was sealed in every other respect and looked unopened. At least the disc 2 that I had received in my replacement copy was heavily damaged, and both disc 2s in the original copy were flawless. Has this happened to anybody else in your history of multidisc gaming? When I called Square, their rep says that this is the first instance that their service department has ever heard of such a thing. Is it as rare as they believe?  Edit: Since this topic is plagued by "Shoulda bought it for PS3", I'm going to say that I don't have a PS3 (for both monetary and preferential reasons). Nor do I plan on getting one until I hear absolute proof that Gran Turismo 5 is better than DiRT 2 and Forza Motorsport 3 combined. If that is, then I'll have moved systems in a flash. The exclusives right now aren't doing it for me, as the only game I want to play is Uncharted 2. I know a friend who basically has most other exclusives and they just aren't that great. "
Actually, good sir, I believe the real fail in this picture is that carpet... "
hahaha fkn comedy gold. That is a great call.

The whole situation is somewhat amusing, as long as it happens to someone else. Hope you get your replacement copy soon.
#35 Posted by Delta_Ass (3231 posts) -

Shoulda not bought it at all.

#36 Posted by get2sammyb (6413 posts) -

That's hilarious.

#37 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

It sucks, but c'mon when it doesn't happen to you all it is, is pretty funny.

#38 Posted by ptys (1753 posts) -

Why put your disc's on the carpet?..

#39 Posted by dankempster (2229 posts) -

That's an unfortunate situation you got there. While I can empathise with your plight, having to wait so long to start playing the game, I also can't help but envy you for the fact that yours has at least turned up. I put in my preorder for the 360 version of the game back in mid-February, and I'm still waiting for my copy now. I've been in touch with Amazon about it and they say I have to wait till the 26th before they'll act on it. I at least hope the game was worth waiting for - seems I might have a couple more weeks before I find out for myself.

#40 Posted by wh1terav3n (652 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @CL60 said:
" @demontium said:
" @wh1terav3n said:
It's still completley playable on 360...  Basically what you're saying is because this game has worse graphics then the PS3 version it's a piece of crap. So by your logic. Basically 90% of multi-plat games are crap on PS3.  Because the only difference between the 2 is the graphics. "
Just as Bayonetta is playable on the PS3, but why would ANYONE get that version? "
There's a large difference between Bayonetta on PS3 and FFXIII on 360, Bayonetta on Ps3 loads every 5 secs and has performance issues. FFXIII's differences are barely noticeable unless you have a large HDTV. There are no performance differences. So like CL60 says, I guess Fallout 3 SUCKS for PS3 huh? Cause the graphics are slightly worse. As is every madden, and almost every other multi-plat game.
#41 Edited by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@ptys said:

" Why put your disc's on the carpet?.. "

1. They're being returned anyway 
2. I don't have anything else that large and that soft.  
3. This is the only carpet in my house. The rest is hardwood. 

@wh1terav3n
said:   
There's a large difference between Bayonetta on PS3 and FFXIII on 360, Bayonetta on Ps3 loads every 5 secs and has performance issues. FFXIII's differences are barely noticeable unless you have a large HDTV. There are no performance differences. So like CL60 says, I guess Fallout 3 SUCKS for PS3 huh? Cause the graphics are slightly worse. As is every madden, and almost every other multi-plat game. " 

My friend has Bayonetta on PS3. He played it only twice because the loading made it unplayable.
#42 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@wh1terav3n said:
" @demontium said:
" @CL60 said:
" @demontium said:
" @wh1terav3n said:
Just as Bayonetta is playable on the PS3, but why would ANYONE get that version? "
There's a large difference between Bayonetta on PS3 and FFXIII on 360, Bayonetta on Ps3 loads every 5 secs and has performance issues. FFXIII's differences are barely noticeable unless you have a large HDTV. There are no performance differences. So like CL60 says, I guess Fallout 3 SUCKS for PS3 huh? Cause the graphics are slightly worse. As is every madden, and almost every other multi-plat game. "
Fallout does suck on the PS3 (at least compared to my PC copy of it).
#43 Posted by natetodamax (19137 posts) -

Getting sick of people saying that he should have gotten the PS3 version. Seriously, shut the hell up. Not everybody has a PS3, but apparently that is too stunning a concept for their little minds to comprehend.

#44 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -

"Nor do I plan on getting one until I hear absolute proof that Gran Turismo 5 is better than DiRT 2 and Forza Motorsport 3 combined  ." 

So, you're getting a PS3, then.
#45 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@RoujinX said:
" "Nor do I plan on getting one until I hear absolute proof that Gran Turismo 5 is better than DiRT 2 and Forza Motorsport 3 combined  ."  So, you're getting a PS3, then. "
No, that means that I'm going to wait until my friend buys it and I play it. 
DiRT 2 is probably my favourite racing game of 2009. Forza 3 was really lacklustre in the single-player, and I'm not going online especially after the mess that was Forza 2. 

The way it looks, however (especially based upon today's trailer), I'll probably buy a PS3 when it comes out.
#46 Posted by Qorious (847 posts) -

LOL. Epic!

#47 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@demontium said:
" @wh1terav3n said:
" @demontium said:
" @CL60 said:
" @demontium said:
" @wh1terav3n said:
Fallout does suck on the PS3 (at least compared to my PC copy of it). "
Fallout 3 DLC on PS3 killed the game.  

@Aus_azn said:
" @RoujinX said:
" "Nor do I plan on getting one until I hear absolute proof that Gran Turismo 5 is better than DiRT 2 and Forza Motorsport 3 combined  ."  So, you're getting a PS3, then. "
No, that means that I'm going to wait until my friend buys it and I play it. DiRT 2 is probably my favourite racing game of 2009. Forza 3 was really lacklustre in the single-player, and I'm not going online especially after the mess that was Forza 2.  The way it looks, however (especially based upon today's trailer), I'll probably buy a PS3 when it comes out. "
I saw some shrink wrap today wile shopping. Thought about this post. Heh 
#48 Posted by ReaperOfLiving (491 posts) -
@RoujinX said:
Yep, he pretty much said that.   

Sorry to say it but, this can't happen to the PS3 version.  Unless you put the xbox version into a ps3 case?  That would be bad.
#49 Posted by ShinjiEx (624 posts) -

It's going to be rather hard to start the game without disk 1 that's for shore! 
^_^

#50 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -
@crusnchill said:
" @demontium:  Didn't you scan Ebay for somebody who got your disc one and was looking to trade it with you. LMAO! "
Why is this @ me?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.