Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

WTF is Instant Stagger?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy

My god I swear there is nothing for this game on google. I have heard there is something called Instant Stagger which is needed to beat Gigantaur because even with my maxed out characters I can't beat him. How do I get this? I heard that leveling the Lionheart will get it for me on some random board, but no, it still just has quick stagger when it's Ultima Weapon.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

I believe it's an accessory or Weapon stat?  Called Lucky Break or some shiz.  Haven't run into it yet.

Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Phaseshift

I think its called lucky break, if a person has a certain amount of matching items(speed i think) they have a very small chance of instantly staggering an enemy with an early weapon blow. I might be completely wrong tho so meh...

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Actually upon more searching it's called "Random: Instant Chain" and apparently it's a synthesized ability ( ????? ) that can make you stagger them randomly with one hit. 

What is a synthesized ability?! I've been playing this game for over 100 hours and nowhere have I ever run into any sort of synthesis, besides weapon upgrading which isn't really synthesis.

Phaseshift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Phaseshift

there are lots of ppl who can explain with thier vids on youtube, search for lucky break.

korkesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By korkesh
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696
    @xyzygy said:
    " My god I swear there is nothing for this game on google. I have heard there is something called Instant Stagger which is needed to beat Gigantaur because even with my maxed out characters I can't beat him. How do I get this? I heard that leveling the Lionheart will get it for me on some random board, but no, it still just has quick stagger when it's Ultima Weapon. "
    That's basically it. It's just Quick Stagger. It gives you one free stagger. But that's if you hook up a character with a Random: Instant Chain synthesized ability. I looked this guy up and it says the only ability it has is 10,000 Needles. A good way to beat him is to make sure everyone is at 15,000 HP and above (20,000 for a sentinel). You want to have Sazh in your party as a Ravager. Manually pick the abilities Flamestrike/Fire/Flamestrike/Fire Flamestrike. When he does that he constantly keeps jumping back basically getting out of the 10,000 needles way. If it starts looking bad then summon his Eidolon and go from there.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Steve_C

Synth abilities are extra abilities your character gets through certain item/weapon combinations.

I used that exact method for gigantuar. One combination is two speed sashes.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ch13696
    @xyzygy said:
    " Actually upon more searching it's called "Random: Instant Chain" and apparently it's a synthesized ability ( ????? ) that can make you stagger them randomly with one hit.  What is a synthesized ability?! I've been playing this game for over 100 hours and nowhere have I ever run into any sort of synthesis, besides weapon upgrading which isn't really synthesis. "
    Equip Lionheart and either Survivalist Catalog, Hunter's Friend, Speed Sash, Energy Sash, Champion's Badge. That should give you the Random: Instant Chain effect. There's other weapons that the ability works with too.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

Ohhh... wow, I had no idea about this feature of the game. No idea at all.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Rayeth

I stumbled into some of this when I was messing around with items to equip on Vanille while I was using a Beladonna Wand and randomly found an item giving extra bonuses that no one else would get.  

They are for the most part pretty pointless (+buff duration, +resist some random status effect, wheee), but a few are pretty nice.  I dunno how anyone would find these without some kind of guide or obscene amounts of sheer luck.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

Ok, I managed to get off the Instant Chain and the effect is pretty sweet. It happens more often than you'd think, it's not something that happens as scarce as, say, a Trapezohedron drop. It's a really nice little ability. The Gigantaur just fell for me in a few hits after that, and gave me two achievements!

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By arkasai

I accidentally discovered this a while ago and have been using it ever since. It has a fair proc rate for me. Procs often enough for me to keep using it.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Addfwyn

They mention item synthesis abilities in the tutorial at the beginning of the game, when they are explaining accessories to you, but basically every item belongs to a certain hidden group.  Multiple items of the same group will unlock extra abilities.     

The chance of the random instant stagger seems to be like 1% or less, but consider that your characters are making 4-5 attacks every 'turn' and you'll be surprised how often it procs.  It's one of the better synthesis abilities in my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.