Any ETA On Digital Sale Coming Back?

#1 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

Ever since I saw this on Unprofessional Fridays, I have been scratching my arm like a heroine addict. A wave of FFXI nostalgia rushed over me and I have been trying to do whatever I can to try and find this game.

Has there been any word on when this game will be available again for sale? I did find one copy Saturday, but fucking GameStop wouldn't sell it to me because it was on hold for the manager. That's another reason why I refuse to ever buy from them unless I have no other alternative.

#2 Posted by cloudymusic (919 posts) -

Pretty soon, I would think. The login congestion has been pretty much entirely resolved after last Tuesday's maintenance, and they said they'd open digital sales back up once things had stabilized.

#3 Edited by gike987 (1720 posts) -

I really hope they open it up soon. This game seems to be sold out everywhere here in Sweden unless you want the PS3 version.

#4 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

@keres said:

Pretty soon, I would think. The login congestion has been pretty much entirely resolved after last Tuesday's maintenance, and they said they'd open digital sales back up once things had stabilized.

I agree. Servers are downright stable right now and duty finder is phenomenally better than what it was. Now that they are allowing character creation again on some servers its only a mater of time. I'd say within 2 weeks or so.

#5 Posted by Corvak (567 posts) -

After the big hardware upgrade, I have only had one connection drop (and considering the other stuff my connection was downloading and streaming at the time, it was probably caused on my end) - and not a single queue to get onto Hyperion. I haven't even had any lag to speak of.

#6 Posted by CatsAkimbo (583 posts) -

They still have a lot of restrictions on character creation. Only about half the servers allow new characters. I've been waiting on Cactuar to open up for almost a week.

#7 Edited by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

I didn't realize they limited character creation too. That seems odd unless it is just that you can't create a new character on a new server.

#8 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

@tycobb said:

I didn't realize they limited character creation too. That seems odd unless it is just that you can't create a new character on a new server.

So servers that were "considered" full were prevented from character creation at all (this was actually most servers until the new hardware was added). Now that character creation restrictions are being lifted (about half are open now for new characters) I'm sure we'll see digital sales come back soonish. Hopefully they'll let us know what they are doing with the maintenance on Wednesday.

#9 Edited by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

was about to make this very topic, I noticed it was still not available on GMG (20% off voucher), I know the game had a rocky (to say the least) start but Im itnerested in the class system and as with every mmo, im sure i would get at least my moneys worth out of the first month

#10 Posted by Huey2k2 (475 posts) -

The most frustrating part about this for me is that Square Enix has been completely silent about all of this.

I really want to buy the game, but I can't even find a physical copy in my city, and I have no idea when I will even be able to buy it. Seeing friends of mine play it together and have a great time, with no idea when I will be able to join them is incredibly frustrating.

I know that I will probably buy the game regardless, but I know people who are considering buying it, whose interest is seriously waning because they have no idea when they might be able to buy it, it would be silly for them to lose customers because they have decided to not give any information about when we may be able to buy their game again.

All I want is for Square Enix to come out and give some sort of timetable for this.

#11 Edited by Karkarov (2622 posts) -

@rhaknar said:

was about to make this very topic, I noticed it was still not available on GMG (20% off voucher), I know the game had a rocky (to say the least) start but Im itnerested in the class system and as with every mmo, im sure i would get at least my moneys worth out of the first month

The start wasn't that bad. It was a pain getting online for sure, but once you got on the game was fine, and it was 100% fixed right at the end of the first week of launch. I remember WoW was actually unplayable for like an entire week, and not much better for something like 3 weeks after it became playable.

#12 Posted by BD (249 posts) -

Yea I came here to check if anyone knew anything since maintenance happened. I'm still waiting to buy it. I'm just worried that the servers are gonna get crushed again when they reopen sales.

#13 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

There are ten billion PS3 copies and absolutely no PC copies to be found anywhere, digitally or otherwise.

Gee I wonder what they want me to play on.

#14 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

@huey2k2 said:

The most frustrating part about this for me is that Square Enix has been completely silent about all of this.

I really want to buy the game, but I can't even find a physical copy in my city, and I have no idea when I will even be able to buy it. Seeing friends of mine play it together and have a great time, with no idea when I will be able to join them is incredibly frustrating.

I know that I will probably buy the game regardless, but I know people who are considering buying it, whose interest is seriously waning because they have no idea when they might be able to buy it, it would be silly for them to lose customers because they have decided to not give any information about when we may be able to buy their game again.

All I want is for Square Enix to come out and give some sort of timetable for this.

What version of the game are you looking for?

#15 Posted by Huey2k2 (475 posts) -

@zirilius said:

@huey2k2 said:

What version of the game are you looking for?

PC, the boxed version is sold out everywhere here, and I can't buy a digital copy (obviously).

And I absolutely refuse to pay the price gougers on Ebay for a boxed copy.

#16 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

Every hour, I have been refreshing Square's store page and Amazon's product page hoping it will show a buy button. I am curious if this will actually cause a huge influx of players and start this whole process all over again.

#17 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -
#18 Edited by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

@zirilius: I would be able to pick it up in 3-5 days at the store. That's a lot better than before when it said it was unavailable.

EDIT: Selecting my store says 6 days until it will be there. I believe I will just wait for the download to come available. I just know that once I buy a physical copy and have to wait for it to arrive, the digital download will be available and I will just be pissed off. =)

#19 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@zirilius: I would be able to pick it up in 3-5 days at the store. That's a lot better than before when it said it was unavailable.

EDIT: Selecting my store says 6 days until it will be there. I believe I will just wait for the download to come available. I just know that once I buy a physical copy and have to wait for it to arrive, the digital download will be available and I will just be pissed off. =)

You could order it and if digital sales begin just return it unopened and get your money back.

#20 Posted by Huey2k2 (475 posts) -
@zirilius said:

@huey2k2 said:

@zirilius said:

PC, the boxed version is sold out everywhere here, and I can't buy a digital copy (obviously).

And I absolutely refuse to pay the price gougers on Ebay for a boxed copy.

BestBuy.com has it in stock

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Final+Fantasy+XIV%3A+A+Realm+Reborn+-+Windows/6881058.p?id=1218810355735&skuId=6881058&st=final fantasy xiv&lp=1&cp=1

Copy and paste the link for the search to work

I am not American, and Bestbuy.ca doesn't have it available for order online.

Also at that point I may as well just wait for the digital sales to go back up, the closest Best Buy from me is almost an hour away. I don't really feel like driving basically two hours round trip to pick up the game (assuming they could even get a copy).

#21 Edited by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

@zirilius said:

@tycobb said:

You could order it and if digital sales begin just return it unopened and get your money back.

Yes, but I don't like doing that since they started to swipe my ID. I reserve my returns for more important purposes. Luckily enough I was able put a copy on hold at a GameStop about 10 minutes ago. Hopefully they actually hold it like they say and I don't waste a 30 mile round-trip drive for nothing. Another 2.5 hours before I will be able to leave work.

#22 Edited by Zirilius (449 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@zirilius said:

@tycobb said:

Yes, but I don't like doing that since they started to swipe my ID. I reserve my returns for more important purposes. Luckily enough I was able put a copy on hold at a GameStop about 10 minutes ago. Hopefully they actually hold it like they say and I don't waste a 30 mile round-trip drive for nothing. Another 2.5 hours before I will be able to leave work.

Good luck man! I feel ya on the card swipe thing. I think it's idiotic personally if the product is unopened.

#23 Edited by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

Slowly, but surely!

And of course the server I need won't accept character creation. It was open yesterday, but now it shows closed. Let the fun begin....

#24 Posted by Bane122 (763 posts) -

@tycobb: Just a heads up, the game's down for maintenance until 6 a.m. est tomorrow morning. Maybe you know this already but I didn't want you to finish the update and get bummed you can't play if you didn't.

#25 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -
#26 Posted by Karkarov (2622 posts) -

@tycobb said:

@bane122: HA! I did not.

Actually it is kind of a good thing, my understanding is they are doing a bit more with the servers and late game balance. Maybe you will get lucky and the server you want will open up after the maintenance?

#28 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

@karkarov said:

@tycobb said:

@bane122: HA! I did not.

Actually it is kind of a good thing, my understanding is they are doing a bit more with the servers and late game balance. Maybe you will get lucky and the server you want will open up after the maintenance?

Sounds like AFK timers were implemented (30 minute timer?????) Also from Yoshi-P's post

- Overcrowded Worlds and the World Transfer Service

Even with the previously discussed measures in place, there remain several overpopulated worlds that may still be subject to peak-time login and character creation restrictions.

Adjustments to the servers have greatly increased the allowed number of simultaneous logins per World, but this particular strategy has reached its limit..

Each World consists of multiple zones (with an area such as “eastern La Noscea” comprising one zone), and allowing a greater number of players to log in to a World could potentially see a single zone become overcrowded, resulting in unacceptable lag and other issues that would negatively impact gameplay.

Login restrictions were introduced to avoid these situations, and, as might be expected, players on highly populated Worlds encounter these restrictions more often than others.

Our next phase of improvements will seek to address this issue in the following manner:

1. Monitor simultaneous login numbers and relax restrictions where possible.

2. Commence World transfer service.

Initially, players on all Worlds experienced frequent login restrictions, and this naturally encouraged the mindset of “if I log out, I might not be able to log back in.”

From this point forward, however, with the upgrades made to server capacity and the introduction of an automatic logout feature, we can expect congestion issues to gradually improve. Promising trends have already been seen with the NA/EU data centers since the September 4th maintenance, and it shouldn’t be long before a similar improvement is seen with the JP data center as well.

We will continue to carefully monitor the number of logins, and ease restrictions as the situation improves.

For Worlds that remain crowded despite these measures, and for those players who have been unable to create characters on their desired Worlds due to congestion, we will be introducing a World transfer service. Please keep in mind, however, that if you choose to move to a highly populated World, you are more likely to encounter the login restrictions described above─choosing to transfer to a less-populated World may prove to be the best choice for your gameplay experience.

The development team is currently testing this service extensively to ensure that the transfer of character data will be safe and secure.

Though there is still some work to be done, we hope to bring you an announcement regarding the availability of World transfers in the very near future.

#29 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

Oh and it sounds like digital sales might be coming back soon. They are going to monitor servers over the weekend and see how things go from there.

#30 Posted by Drakoji (216 posts) -

Man they better sort their shit fast, because I'll lose interest reaaaaal soon.

#31 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -
#32 Edited by Batalskar (56 posts) -

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/88643

Official post from game Naoki Yoshida, Director/Producer on FF XIV. This came 11 days after his last post and hints to the digital sales of the game being available after the weekend if servers hold up. For those who cannot find this game, lets hope for the best.

#33 Edited by Batalskar (56 posts) -

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/88643

Official post from Naoki Yoshida, Director/Producer on FF XIV. This came 11 days after his last post and hints to the digital sales of the game being available after the weekend if servers hold up. For those who cannot find this game, lets hope for the best.

#34 Posted by gaftra (139 posts) -

@batalskar: That is a bleak promise of digital sales. I've been waiting two weeks for this to show back up.

Went to a Gamestop and was told that all copies were recalled from all stores. If you want to buy a physical copy from Amazon it lists a two week waiting period before it ships. Really awful rollout on their part.

I'm still interested in playing since these issues don't speak to the game design. If anyone hears about being able to actually buy this game I'd love to know!

#35 Edited by BD (249 posts) -

@gaftra: I got mine from walmart on tuesday. I just checked the walmart.com and searched my zipcode. I got the last one they had on the shelves. I think they might have had more in the back since that stuff usually ships on monday for tuesday stocking.

#36 Edited by gaftra (139 posts) -

@bd: Interesting, I just did a search for bestbuys in my area (NYC) and there are none listed :( Wallmart is hell of banned from the city so I'm not going to have much luck there. Was hoping an apathetic employee would leave some on a shelf.

#37 Posted by LikeaSsur (1430 posts) -

@karkarov said:

@rhaknar said:

The start wasn't that bad. It was a pain getting online for sure, but once you got on the game was fine, and it was 100% fixed right at the end of the first week of launch. I remember WoW was actually unplayable for like an entire week, and not much better for something like 3 weeks after it became playable.

The difference being no one knew WoW would become so popular, not even Blizzard. Also, it was 2005. Now it's 2013, technology's improved, so you'd expect launch woes to not be as bad.

#38 Posted by Karkarov (2622 posts) -

The difference being no one knew WoW would become so popular, not even Blizzard. Also, it was 2005. Now it's 2013, technology's improved, so you'd expect launch woes to not be as bad.

Did you even read the hate the original release of FF14 got? Most people, including the devs, expected this to get a mediocre reception at best. The game sold wildly above their expectations, like 3-4 times more copies were sold than people played in the open beta. I agree they should have been better prepared, but they went with what they felt were realistic and cost effective expectations and you cant blame them for playing it safe after the total train wreck of the original release.

#39 Edited by gaftra (139 posts) -

@karkarov said:

@likeassur said:

Did you even read the hate the original release of FF14 got? Most people, including the devs, expected this to get a mediocre reception at best. The game sold wildly above their expectations, like 3-4 times more copies were sold than people played in the open beta. I agree they should have been better prepared, but they went with what they felt were realistic and cost effective expectations and you cant blame them for playing it safe after the total train wreck of the original release.

Which left them trading one PR problem for another. They will still work this out eventually, but eventually is turning into quite a while. Square is accountable for not having a strong message or plan to handle if their game exceeded sales goals. While server costs are some the highest you incur with an mmo, not being able to deploy them quickly to meet demand means a substantial amount in lost sales when you are talking about a release window of a game.

#40 Posted by TheHT (10275 posts) -

@gaftra: Sure, you can fault them for their response, but their initial expectations were fair.

#41 Edited by StrikeALight (1111 posts) -

Its been pretty crazy the amount of interest this game has garnered. I know gamers a pretty fickle bunch, but after experiencing 1.0 at launch, I didn't think ARR would prove this popular. It really is quite an extraordinary turn-around for SE (largely due to Yoshi).

#42 Edited by gaftra (139 posts) -

@theht: I don't doubt that they had a lot of people working really hard to figure out what the number of servers needed. What's disappointing is far they undershot and how hard it's been for them to catch up to where they need to be.

My opinion is colored by the fact that I've been waiting to pick up a copy for two weeks now, so take me with some serious salt.

#43 Posted by Bane122 (763 posts) -

@strikealight: The positive word of mouth the game is getting has been pretty surprising. I really didn't think many players or the press would give the game a fair shot but it's been getting mostly good buzz.

And I'm flat out shocked it charted on last month's NPD results considering everything stacked against it.

#44 Posted by MFJubes (12 posts) -

Man, and I was totally ready to impulse-buy this weekend, too. :\ Sunday morning and still no digital version available.

#45 Posted by kagato (862 posts) -

Tokyo Game Show is this coming Friday, i expect they will address the lack of digital sales during the conference, id be very suprised if they didnt come out somewhat humbled by the experiance and with a bit of luck end with a "and you can buy the game right now!" type of statement.

#46 Posted by MFJubes (12 posts) -

@kagato: Doubt they would try to win hearts and minds just by telling them they can buy a game that's already out. If anything at all, I bet they just comment on how grateful they are that their game is a success, and at most, acknowledge their fans and thank them for their patience.

#47 Posted by MFJubes (12 posts) -
#48 Posted by gike987 (1720 posts) -

So I bought it but I can't play it.

Took me a couple of hours but I think I figured out that Square Enix ID you use to log in to the game i a different one from the one you used to buy the game. The only problem I have now when I think I found the right place to register is that I failed to enter the captcha the first time they asked for my e-mail and now it say "An e-mail has already been sent to this e-mail address. If you would like to send another e-mail, please wait at least 24 hours before trying again." yet I have no e-mail.

I have never seen such an incompetent system. Square Enix are apparently completely incapable to set up a usable account system. This is the worst.

#49 Posted by Zirilius (449 posts) -

Their baaaaaaaaaaaaaack. Digital sales ar a go.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-digital-sales-resume?abthid=523868078ab638d809000005

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.