Can it run on a 2008 Macbook Pro?

#1 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

I might get the opportunity to play Final Fantasy XIV for a writing job, but I have a problem. 

The only computer I have is a 2008 MacBook Pro that can bootcamp to XP, the specs of which are: 
Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:
2.5 GHz  
4GB RAM 
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

Does anyone have any experience trying to run the game with this spec? 

The benchmark tests give me 700 which is obviously less than half of the lowest recommended tier, but there have been a couple of posts of people trying it and it working (more or less). 

Its just that this would be a fantastic opportunity for me and the only other option seems to be buying a desktop for £500.

#2 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I get 3000 for the benchmark just for comparison sake using 1080p, not 720p settings, so maybe it's might not run well for you. My gtx460 isn't powerful however my i7 is.

#3 Posted by Bucketdeth (8005 posts) -

You would but the game would run very poorly even on lowest setting, this game has set the bar for having such high requirements for no real reason.

If you haven't already tried the game I'd highly recommend reading some reviews, the game is terrible in my opinion.

#4 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I got over 3300 in the bnechmark and the game was virtually unplayable on the lowest settings...

#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Hell fucking no.

#6 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I thought my score sounded a bit low, Hey op, you were using 720p right? I assume that's what ppl run it at if their display is like less than 1080p. I just ran the benchmark to give it a try and if your getting only 700, you might want to rethink it. Finally got the score to 3111 for high settings, maybe it's about time I overclocked my cpu. I don't get why a gtx470 is only like 3600 and up, something doesn't add up.

#7 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -
Here is what was giving me a little hope, perhaps you guys are able to see if he is spouting nonsense or not. 

Another choice quotes i've found 
"  I played the open beta on a mid-2008 MacBook Pro (nVidia 8600M). I had to set the buffer resolution to 1/2 to get a tolerable frame rate." 

Any help with what that means would be grand.

#8 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Metzo_Paino: Yo, I'm telling you off the bat if you're willing to put up with 10-15 fps a second with an insanely low resolution while paying for it monthly then by all means play on your MBP. 

FFXIV will not run will on that laptop, this is the honest answer.   

Buy a PC with a decent card or look for another game.
#9 Posted by sergeantz (140 posts) -

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure about the decision to have the system requirements as steep as they are.  I would have to get a new computer myself.  I could probably get a tower rig that could play it, monitor and all, for about $900, or a laptop for about $1200, but it's not in the budget right now.  I bet that the same can be said for others as well.  An MMO with that kind of barrier to entry will definitely suffer for it.  I just hope they aren't expecting to put up huge numbers out of the gate.

#10 Posted by Karkarov (3054 posts) -
@Metzo_Paino said:
" Here is what was giving me a little hope, perhaps you guys are able to see if he is spouting nonsense or not. 

Another choice quotes i've found 
"  I played the open beta on a mid-2008 MacBook Pro (nVidia 8600M). I had to set the buffer resolution to 1/2 to get a tolerable frame rate." 

Any help with what that means would be grand.

"
Dude I will tell you straight up, if the specs of your macbook match the specs that guy posted in your linked article the game will be one hair short of unplayable.  I never went near max settings and played it with 8gig DDR2 1066, a gtx 460 1gig, and a intel Q6600 quad and would get normally 30-60 fps when out in about in small groups.  In town? Lots of players around?  Maybe even some environmental effects like rain or a thunderstorm (which looks epic in this game) my fps was more like 15-20.  Meanwhile the game actually runs better if you turn anti aliasing on and many different graphical settings that can massively lower your graphics quality give little to no boost to fps.  To say that FFXIV is not properly graphically optimized may be the understatement of the year.

If you want specifics on what settings I used or what the game looked like for me (play the vid full screen max res) here have one of my youtube vids.  If you click on the little expansion button under the video my comments give you the details on what my settings were.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.