Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

FFXIV: Questions & Answers from «VinCo»

SnakeLinkSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SnakeLinkSonic

As the usual cycle goes, we're set to have a large influx of new people lost and looking for ways to either join us in playing or just general questions to aid their enjoyment of the game. I'm writing this as a quick training-wheels guide for people who may have a small-to-large interest in joining to play the game, even if it's not with us.

No Caption Provided

Commonly Asked Questions

Q: How is the leveling in this game? I don't have a lot of time!

FFXIV might be just the MMO for you then! The way they've built the base vanilla game is a traditional themepark MMO. It's not too difficult and has a focus on its story as can be expected from a Final Fantasy game. The trouble a lot of people run into is wanting to get into the game but dealing with any amount of anxiety on being able to commit to doing content with others due to personal schedules. You should be able to safely leave that at the door here. You can get to the level 50 cap almost entirely soloing. You'll be required to do the dungeons and primals via the Duty Finder, but even that's something you can do on your own without help from anyone else. As usual with these games, once you get to the endgame content, things will change pretty significantly---but that's only if you want to keep going. If you just want to see the story and world though, you can enjoy the ride in about as much time as you could any other JRPG.

Q: How do I join the Giant Bomb guild?

Head over to the Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/ZdCCysj

Ask in the #ffxiv channel. Someone will likely be on that can send you an invite.

On the off chance nobody is around, there's also this thread, which is still useful:

http://www.giantbomb.com/final-fantasy-xiv-online-a-realm-reborn/3030-26847/forums/joining-the-giant-bomb-free-company-update-1472844/

Q: I loved FFXI, will I like this?

Maybe?

Mostly likely---probably not... Most of the people who loved FFXI really loved FFXI and most of the things that title did are nowhere to be seen in the revamp of FFXIV (there were quite a few parallels in 1.0 though, so I'll just let that simmer). The same type of logic could be applied to people who really love World of Warcraft and want to switch over. You have to be willing to let go of a lot of things you like about those games in order to enjoy this one (though this game is more similar to the modern age of MMOs that WoW set as a standard). The era of Everquest-esque MMOs (FFXI) has long since passed. If you want to play Final Fantasy XI, my advice is to go play Final Fantasy XI, not this. Hell it's still going, why not go enjoy that if it's what you want?

Q: What class/job should I chose? What do you guys need?

We don't need anything other than people who want to play the character and job they want at the pace they want. Now if you're talking about endgame content, that's always changing so whatever answer I could give you today will be almost irrelevant in a month. So, just find something you're good at and enjoy and chances are you'll find a place for yourself. Do note that this game uses the standard trinity MMO design so whatever you choose will be subject to the Tank/DPS/Healer demands (i.e. tanks are almost always in highest demands and DPS are typically in the least demand). That's really only a problem if you're not in a Free Company going it alone though, so again---pick what you like and play the hell out of it.

What I WILL advise is trying out every job. You don't have to cap them all, but dabble in each one to see which really does anything for you. Every class and job is accessible on a single character. After you find one, stick with it.

Q: I want to be in a static? Why don't the leaders organize it!? Why don't the leaders do "X" for me?!

This turned into a weird one from some of the more hardcore people that stumble into the Company and I've had to go out of my way to plaster it on every outlet we have that we're not that kind of guild. That being said we do have a handful of groups that tackle the high endgame stuff but they're only together due to naturally forged friendships over the past five years, so it's simply not realistic for someone to just jump in expecting to immediately play with them (honestly, you'd be surprised how many people who just invite themselves along or at least feel entitled to it). The leaders and officers are here to moderate assholes and help people with as much stuff as they reasonably can while enjoying the game for themselves, not babysit egos.

Do note that if you're an obstinate or obnoxious person (constant arguments, slurs and personal insults to look edgy, etc.) you're gonna have a bad time---or a least a very short one with us. The officers and leaders have a one warning policy. I don't do warnings, so if I'm around I'll just ban you on the spot.

Q: I have a question but don't want to look stupid in the Free Company Chat

Just ask it! There's all manner of people playing at any given time and they're either as lost as you or are more than willing to point you where you need to go. We've yet to have people mistreat each other in that manner, at least inside the Free Company.

Q: I can't join Ultros. It says the world is full!

Due to the game being a victim of it's own success, it seems the devs still haven't managed to adequately address the server problems that the game will occasionally have during peak play hours. It's certainly gotten a lot better but it does still happen from time to time. This tends to cause problems for some people who try to register their characters on our server during the day (Primal Data Center > Ultros World).

Ultros is still open to new characters though, the trick is to just register at the right time of day. Usually this is later in the night or very early in the morning. During the day you may have to come back in half-an-hour increments until you're able to get on. There are certain times of day where they specifically open up the servers for new characters: (3:00 a.m./ 7:00 a.m./ 12:00 p.m./ 5:00 p.m./ 10:00 p.m. (PST).

Our server isn't the absolute largest but it's still a pretty popular one, with communities like NeoGAF and 4chan residing here as well.

Q: I want to know more about the lore! What happened in 1.0?

Unfortunately there hasn't been a fantastic consolidation for the game in that capacity yet. That stated, this is the internet full of all manner of players willing to supplement that deficiency. There's plenty of ways to find more about the story in this game if you know exactly what you're after.

Official Lore Thread: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/646-Lore

Final Fantasy Wikia: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIV

1.0 Story:

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1615

http://www.finalfantasyxivcutscenes.com/

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f1RVGK0nY9VC0nM779rmZrEVd43XZy5xIC0X_2SXWp8/

Q: You didn't answer what I needed! Where do I find an answer?

Shoot me a message and I'll find what you need. You can also head over to reddit if you can't get in touch with somebody directly. So far, it's probably the largest and most useful community outside of the game in terms of sheer information for FFXIV. Also, use the Discord link above to hop in and start chatting with us.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/28vn5j/what_did_i_miss_patch_notes_universal_summary/

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/2a8mmn/so_you_just_hit_level_50_in_patch_23/

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/ (use the mega thread that's always posted at the top to ask any question you want answered)

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Awesome post Zhu, really looking forward to the patch

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Seikenfreak

Good post.

And I loved FF11 and love FF14 so.. you never know! Very different games though. Give it a shot! (Maybe you could put a link to the free trial page or something?)

Also maybe put the 2.4 trailer video in there somewhere for completionist's sake.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Whoever decided to make Qarn HM deserves their own personal circle of hell.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

@ajamafalous: I really don't get the hate for Qarn. I think its an a-ok dungeon.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cloudymusic

Nice post! I always appreciate consolidated lists of "here's where to go to start the new content" with every patch, because man, it's not always easy to find that stuff in-game.

MeesterO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@ajamafalous: Nah, Aurum Vale and the sever that dungeon is based out of deserve that spot more than anything. Feels like that place has been on fire since 2.1

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@meestero said:

@ajamafalous: Nah, Aurum Vale and the sever that dungeon is based out of deserve that spot more than anything. Feels like that place has been on fire since 2.1

AV is the only one I hate more than Qarn! In the event that somebody decides it's a good idea to make an AV HM, a newer, deeper circle of hell will need to be formed.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think AV and Qarn are fine. :(

People just suck at them sometimes. Not the dungeons fault.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

HM Qarn is one of the things I'm most looking forward to. I loved pre-nerf Qarn, that final boss was nuts.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, Dark Knight? *Looks up info*

Oh my god, flying mounts?! I'm totally ready for this; I'm going to come back and play so hard.

Look how confused this little guy is! He knows he has short wings but he doesn't give a shit!

No Caption Provided

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well shit, I haven't played an MMO since my old WoW days, but I guess I'm going to bite the bullet and give this a shot finally. See you lads on the other side.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like I should resub up and hopefully actually play some of it.

wilsouk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Brilliant work!

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the game back in the PS4 beta phase, and I was worried about not having enough time to really play also. I have maybe 3 hours a week and it's not been a problem whatsoever, so don't let the time commitment put you off. I was also wary about the sub fee, but since this is the only game I want to play in my spare time, it's actually saving me money.

The matchmaking is very straightforward, and people are very friendly. My only tip would be get a cheap wireless keyboard if you want to play on the PS4, since it sucks not being able to communicate properly.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got my update going right now, looking forward to seeing how much has changed. I'm already in the guild and I'll be leveling a ninja all of today!

Rolkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have to get back into this and start playing.

I look forward to creating a new character. If anyone wants to do dungeons together at an early level let me know! I think I'll go paladin my first character but I'm not sure yet.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Is there any post/site that outlines the new armor/weapons/etc. introduced in this patch? I know the lodestone has a big list of what items were added, without details. It would be great if someone had a list of "here's this new armor, here's what it looks like, here's the level/classes that can use it". Maybe it's a little soon to expect something like that.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WarlordPayne

@wraithtek said:

Is there any post/site that outlines the new armor/weapons/etc. introduced in this patch? I know the lodestone has a big list of what items were added, without details. It would be great if someone had a list of "here's this new armor, here's what it looks like, here's the level/classes that can use it". Maybe it's a little soon to expect something like that.

Gear Calculator or XIVDB should have what you're looking for.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got my update going right now, looking forward to seeing how much has changed. I'm already in the guild and I'll be leveling a ninja all of today!

When you said Ninja I immediately went to google and looked that up. It's pretty cool that I've been away for half a year and am able to come back to a new class. Really liking the Rogue class so far.

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@wraithtek said:

Gear Calculator or XIVDB should have what you're looking for.

Thanks. I knew of XIVDB, but didn't know you could go in and filter by Patch number. So I can go in and see, for example, what new body armor was added in 2.4.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome post. I'm looking to start playing ff14 this week, and I've got myself SUPER excited about jumping in. I dabbled with WoW for a few months,but this will be my first MMO experience since EverQuest and I can't wait!

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Wraith1

Man I miss this game, too bad I can't play any more

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So we got our first Free Company Clear of Shiva Extreme tonight. Shit gets real cray cray near the end. I went in as a SMN. We have two different perspectives:

SMN Perspective (Me) :

Loading Video...

And here is the perspective of our Scholar. This one also has audio from the skype call :

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.