Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

General FFXIV talk.

• 132 results
    Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Since I don't want to go off-topic on Giantbomb FC thread, I thought I'd create a thread for general discussion of the game. How have you been enjoying beta/early access? What server are you playing on? What class are you playing as? What are you currently doing in the game? Etc etc.

I'll start up with wondering if we're going to be able to play on tuesday when official launch starts. I must say, amount of people on early access surprised me. I thought majority of people from beta would be gone, apparently so did Square Enix since early access has turned into "barely access". I managed to log in this morning, to get maintenance message and got back in 4 hours after scheduled maintenance because it kept telling that "World is currently full"

But it hasn't changed my opinion about the game, I love this. My first MMO so I'd guess that's part of why I find the game so fun, I've seen a lot of people complain that the game is "too easy" compared to some other MMO games.

I'm currently level 24 Lancer.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've been enjoying hearing the 3 friends I'm playing with, who got early access unlike me, moaning for days at the brokenness of it. Not that its an excuse, it's kind of terrible for the genre, but I'm used to every MMO being broken for weeks or months.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I couldn't even play yet, seems like most of the maintenance is performed during nighttime/morning in the US so it's all afternoon/evening for me here in EU. Still LVL20 like in Phase 4, no chance to play at all :/

Server is Balmung (Legacy).

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy the game, but sitting here waiting for the game to actually let me play is not all that fun. Maintenance is better than this, since there's a clear time window for when should be able to get back on.

Anyway, I just got my airship pass. Assuming the duty finder is fixed when I get back on I'll be doing dungeons pretty soon. Need to hurry and get my Grand Company.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Seikenfreak

I started playing around 2 PM EST yesterday and didn't notice anything wrong initially. I was able to do an instance or two. And then I heard about the issues with instances not working right or whatever so I just avoided them the rest of the day. These kinds of problems are to be expected during MMO launches. It's really irritating seeing people complain about it constantly but maybe they've never participated in a MMO launch before.

So I spent all of yesterday working on leveling Miner, Armorsmith, and Leatherworker which was a surprising amount of fun. Did some more exploring and unlocking Aetherytes. Got to see the new Coerthas and Mor Dhona areas for the first time. More awesome music and area design. I just really enjoy being in this game. Doesn't really matter what I am doing.

But today hasn't been as good so far. Haven't been able to log in yet. But whatever. I'm using my Legacy character so I've already got two classes at 50. I'm not in any particular rush. My friend won't be able to play til sometime next week hopefully.

All-in-all I'm loving the game. The server issues are annoying but nothing you can do about it. It comes with the MMO territory. Hopefully by the end of next week all this will be working smoothly.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Good luck with the duty finder, I heard the waiting times are absolutely ridiculous on some of the dungeons thanks to people getting stuck on same part of the main quest storyline. Let's hope it has changed now. D:

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I said in the other thread I'm really having fun. The server stuff is killing my groove though. Also getting tired of the whining about it, as if people don't know how MMO launches can go.

I sort of fear for the official launch though. I'm surprised at how many people are already in Early Access though.

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have early access but I have not been able to play yet. All of my good friends that are playing, and our linkshell from FF11 are on the Gilgamesh server. Gilgamesh is one of the only 2 or 3 NA servers that has never opened up character creation since it was locked down during the 4th beta period. You can't move characters from another server so there is no point leveling up on a different server. From what I played in the beta before everything crashed(error 90000) it seemed really fun. I just hope they open character creation within a week or so.

marmalade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made the unfortunate mistake of logging out so I could run FFXIV through steam and get the overlay to chat with my steam friends...now I can't get back in! I had just finished Copperbell Mines and was looking forward to finally progressing the story! So sad. :'(

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By Nev

Haven't had much luck getting on Ultros since, oh, early yesterday? Playing around a little on the Japanese servers with a friend today. They work perfectly, at least!

arkkazeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forced myself awake an hour after the game started up yesterday and started playing it. Was already a ton of people online but everything was working at that time until a few hours later and then the instanced quests were broken. Still loving the game itself though so far just kinda got locked for content with main quests being out of the picture so I took my level 12 character on a hike throughout the world and ran from Gridania to Ul'dah. Only wishing I could log back in today...

Juno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

The last few hours have been trying on my patience, but honestly when the game works its fun. The duty finder waits as a single DPS is about 30 minutes on both of the instances I've done, so I try to queue it up and go do quests while waiting. I just completed Tam-Tara, then ended up with a disconnect error as we exited the instance. I really like the instanced zones (the groups I've been paired with have been good too). Pushing for BLM for now, but I can't get logged in for more than a few mins now. Going to take a break and will log in later.

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Turkalurch

I was leveling up my Fisher and Culinary professions yesterday because I couldn't get into my lvl 15 Main Story instance. Which is perfectly fine since i was able to progress in different classes. I have to say though, this game's fishing is pretty darn cool. Can't wait to start finding more secret fishing spots!

Then after the midnight PDT maintenance last night, I was lucky enough to log in right after they finished and knock out my Main Story instance. I was able to finish it with no interruptions, which was nice.

Edit: The removal of the queue is definitely a bummer though. :(

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanmgraef

Got a lvl 9 pug. Can't get back in dag nab bit. All I wanna do I get my level on. But Im Effin lovin this game.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Itwastuesday

As someone stuck in the not queue while all of my friends begin to outlevel me, allow me to talk about Final Fantasy 14;

ajsdifapsoi gjpdbjcovibnocvbhd08hfw

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zeik

I feel like they need to force the people who have been on all day to log out and give some other people a chance to get on. Making it a free for all with limited access seems like a poor way to handle it. Specifically in regards to me playing. Which is all that matters.

:(

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why remove the que? Buttholes...

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already own the game on PC but pre-ordered the PS3 Version after the fun I had in Phase 4 just so I can give them some additional money and support for the game. But after 2 days of the 4 day early access I couldn't even log in a single time. So I just cancelled my PS3 Pre-Order on Amazon. I'll get my 2 free legacy weeks on PC and if they sort out their server problems during them I'll get the PS3 Version. Kind of a shame that the open beta worked so well (at least for me) but then it gets to their paying customers who want to enjoy early access and they produce such a huge fuck-up.

SoulTaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By SoulTaker

I've been having fun. I was able to log in yesterday and lvl my pugilist to 15. Haven't been able to play today do to the problems.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a day off yesterday, ended up playing for way too long. Managed to get in during the morning (UK time) before work and got my gladiator up to level 25.

Looking forward to playing more eventually, I want to unlock Paladin quickly!

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c: right? I've been waiting for this weekend excitedly and am just trying to sign in over and over and over. It's a crying fucking shame.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zeik

@iron1c said:

Kind of a shame that the open beta worked so well (at least for me) but then it gets to their paying customers who want to enjoy early access and they produce such a huge fuck-up.

Open Beta is when these issues first started cropping up. All of the issues that are going on right now seem to be directly related to the same issues people were seeing in Open Beta. It seems like they just weren't ready for the increased server load.

moves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best part of any mmo in my opinion is when it's brand new and dealing with all the bugs, but this is very frustrating. Like others are saying, all these issues with servers being full and a very vocal group that can't play already, how will they resolve the issues when more people will be playing in 2 days? i've spent the day trying to log in. I'll probably be doing that tomorrow...

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

So I have a couple of questions regarding this game:

1. Is it the kind of game that is fun to play without joining any kind of guild/clan/etc.?

2. How does account creation work? I'm asking because I've forgotten my PSN password (and the password to the e-mail to which its linked), and the only way I can use it is by accessing it through my PS3 which has my password memorized. I'm asking because it would suck to buy the game only to find out that I can't make an account.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Is it the kind of game that is fun to play without joining any kind of guild/clan/etc.?

2. How does account creation work? I'm asking because I've forgotten my PSN password (and the password to the e-mail to which its linked), and the only way I can use it is by accessing it through my PS3 which has my password memorized. I'm asking because it would suck to buy the game only to find out that I can't make an account.

It's an MMO. this means cooperation with people is mostly required to do anything cool. I'm sure they'll have lots of content to do with PUGs and shit, but that stuff is not the tender meat. That shit is value menu. You want the anime sirloin.

Garfield518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game would be much better if the Frenchies in Montreal realised that turning off the queuing system was probably the stupidest thing they could've done.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fancysoapsman said:

Given that the duty system allows you to automatically pair up with other players for group content you can do the vast majority of the content without the need to be in any kind of guild. There is late game content that won't be accessible through the duty finder though, so if you're not in a guild it's going to require some more work to get a group of people together to do it.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Petiew

@fancysoapsman: You can solo a considerable amount of quests and level up classes solo. Dungeons and big boss fights so far have all required a party to complete. If you refuse to play with others you're not going to be able to progress through the story. Though they have a system where can you select a dungeon or boss and are partied up with randoms from other servers to make a full party. Once the duty is finished the group auto disbands.

It's still an MMO, so if you don't want to play with others don't get it!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By FancySoapsMan

@petiew: Ok, thanks for the answers everyone.

I figure I'd eventually get into the group stuff, I'd just like to explore around without worrying about that kind of stuff for a while.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to wonder if they have some form of compensation coming our way. People were promised Early Access for 3 days, if preordered and that promise isn't being delivered right now sadly. Maybe add 3 extra days on top of the first free month of subscription? I dunno.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fancysoapsman said:

I figure I'd eventually get into the group stuff, I'd just like to explore around without worrying about that kind of stuff for a while.

Yeah, that's definitely possible. In fact that's pretty much exactly what I'm doing. I definitely prefer to do the early parts of the game on my own.

@kishinfoulux said:

I have to wonder if they have some form of compensation coming our way. People were promised Early Access for 3 days, if preordered and that promise isn't being delivered right now sadly. Maybe add 3 extra days on top of the first free month of subscription? I dunno.

They actually did mention at one point about some sort of compensation for people that were affected by errors. There were no details on what that compensation would be or who it would apply to specifically, but given all the issues EA players have had to deal with I would hope it would just apply to everyone who was playing EA.

Granted, we didn't technically "pay" for EA, so they may not feel obligated to compensate us just for that. Who knows.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@fancysoapsman said:

Yeah, that's definitely possible. In fact that's pretty much exactly what I'm doing. I definitely prefer to do the early parts of the game on my own.

@kishinfoulux said:

They actually did mention at one point about some sort of compensation for people that were affected by errors. There were no details on what that compensation would be or who it would apply to specifically, but given all the issues EA players have had to deal with I would hope it would just apply to everyone who was playing EA.

Granted, we didn't technically "pay" for EA, so they may not feel obligated to compensate us just for that. Who knows.

Well technically didn't we pay? You only get EA if you preordered right?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zeik

Pre-ordering is technically free. I could have cancelled my order and still got in.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's true.

BTW does anyone know how the queue's work? Like when the message pops up and says "you are number 47 in the queue" or whatever am I just supposed to sit there and the number will go down eventually?

polarbearadept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems Early Access was extended to the 29th? Does that mean the launch has been pushed back?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Zeik

@kishinfoulux said:

That's true.

BTW does anyone know how the queue's work? Like when the message pops up and says "you are number 47 in the queue" or whatever am I just supposed to sit there and the number will go down eventually?

I never tried sitting there honestly. I usually just kept backing out and doing it again it gradually goes down until I got in. It would be nice if it was automatic though.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: it is. If you get qued just wait and you'll get in.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@kishinfoulux said:

That's true.

I never tried sitting there honestly. I usually just kept backing out and doing it again it gradually goes down until I got in. It would be nice if it was automatic though.

Yeah that's what I would normally do and it worked.

Seems Early Access was extended to the 29th? Does that mean the launch has been pushed back?

Wait seriously? Source?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: it is. If you get qued just wait and you'll get in.

Good to know. Now if only they would put me in a queue...

@polarbearsigep said:

Wait seriously? Source?

Yeah, I've seen nothing to suggest that is happening.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over on the official forums they said that it goes until the 30th so people waiting for the game to be shipped to them can keep playing through launch.

polarbearadept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it from this link http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f8dcc029e5781c67638d99b853cfe40c90154d51

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it from this link http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f8dcc029e5781c67638d99b853cfe40c90154d51

Huh, you're right. That's surprisingly nice of them, since I was going to have to wait to play while my copy shipped.

Not that it will matter if they don't fix the servers.

polarbearadept

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed. Sadly I don't think there will be an divine intervention to fix all of these issues before Tuesday. Looks like it will be a pretty rough road for a while.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I haven't been able to play early access because fuck non-legacy 1.0 players apparently. Beta was freakin awesome though. Got lvl 19 archer/15-16 conjurer so I can get my Bard job asap. Also leveled fisher and botanist a bit.

I play MMOs quite regularly, but it's been a while since I've been part of a launch like this and it reminds me why I personally tend to avoid launches. I'm not usually one to complain about immersion, but, and this is just one my personal nonsensical quirks by the way, something about seeing every single area in an MMO filled to the brim with people just completely takes me out the game. Like, for some reason I have a hard time concentrating on the actual game lol. In cities, it makes sense, but seeing something like hundreds of people in a forest killing bees (or whatever) just looks dumb. Really, really dumb. I dunno, it's whatever though. It's really not that big of a deal.

Been playing DCUO to kill some time these past few days. I forgot how fun I could have with that game.

nadesico33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So while waiting to get back onto my main, I rolled a quick character on a JP server to test Arcanist and Gamepad controls. They work, but I can't say I'd want to play with that as my primary0 control scheme.

wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the log in stuff will be fixed by the time I can start playing! Can't wait to roll a cat dude!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I play MMOs quite regularly, but it's been a while since I've been part of a launch like this and it reminds me why I personally tend to avoid launches. I'm not usually one to complain about immersion, but, and this is just one my personal nonsensical quirks by the way, something about seeing every single area in an MMO filled to the brim with people just completely takes me out the game. Like, for some reason I have a hard time concentrating on the actual game lol. In cities, it makes sense, but seeing something like hundreds of people in a forest killing bees (or whatever) just looks dumb. Really, really dumb. I dunno, it's whatever though. It's really not that big of a deal.

Haha yeaaaa I have that feeling with crafting. I get all excited at the thought of making gear and items that I can sell as a lot of people don't seem to like crafting in games (kill! kill! kill!) so I figure I could make some money.. Stroll on into the crafting guild.. Piles crafters drown out the music with the sounds of hammers and sewing machines. Guild looks like a crowded club dance floor..

And then that feeling of being a unique snowflake just melts away.

...And then I spend all day doing nothing but crafting anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.