Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

How is the game?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I have yet to see any real gameplay footage or anything of that sort. What do you guys think about it? worth getting the collectors edition or not worth getting at all? 

Thanks.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Bump. :D

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The beta from what I heard was broken as hell. 

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bunnypot
    @NekuSakuraba:  

As a general rule, I never really recommend MMO's to people. What do you like and what do you hate about MMO's?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Kuraform
    @NekuSakuraba:  

As a general rule, I never really recommend MMO's to people. What do you like and what do you hate about MMO's?
    I hate the time it takes to level up and waiting for endgame for the game to become good.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

I would recommend you view some of these threads in the FF14 forum here.

Personally I was hyped for the game but it's a train wreck.  You'd have to be willing to overlook a lot of problems to enjoy the game...

bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bunnypot
    @Diamond said:
    " Personally I was hyped for the game but it's a train wreck.  You'd have to be willing to overlook a lot of problems to enjoy the game... "
    I remember when games were fun.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @NekuSakuraba
    @Kuraform
    @NekuSakuraba:  

I hate the time it takes to level up and waiting for endgame for the game to become good.
    So what do you think?
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Kuraform
    @NekuSakuraba:  

I hate the time it takes to level up and waiting for endgame for the game to become good. "
    I'd recommend Guild Wars 2.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Kuraform
    @NekuSakuraba:  

I hate the time it takes to level up and waiting for endgame for the game to become good. "
    I'd recommend Guild Wars 2. "
    You have played it? O___O
    bunnypot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bunnypot
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Kuraform
    @NekuSakuraba:  

Haha, just wait, when it comes out it'll have just as many flaws and then you'll tell people to wait for KOTOR. Ah, the endless wait of MMO players. 

Re: grinding, I'd suggest watching this video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abE09-tqhoM
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The main problem for me is the high system requirements.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " The main problem for me is the high system requirements. "
    Other than that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    Other than that? "
    Well the whole layout of menus and accessing things are made a lot harder then they should be and the game feels very Japanese and that can be either good or bad but in this case I mean it as the whole game feels like it was made for an asian audience as they tend to not care about ease of use just like with Lineage 2 which is a totally different came but in the same aspect it caters to an asian audience (Korea) more then a western audience. 

But in saying that I will be picking up the game at some point, probably just going to get it on the PS3.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Bucketdeth
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    Other than that? "
    Well the whole layout of menus and accessing things are made a lot harder then they should be and the game feels very Japanese and that can be either good or bad but in this case I mean it as the whole game feels like it was made for an asian audience as they tend to not care about ease of use just like with Lineage 2 which is a totally different came but in the same aspect it caters to an asian audience (Korea) more then a western audience. 

But in saying that I will be picking up the game at some point, probably just going to get it on the PS3.
    @NekuSakuraba
    @Kuraform
    @NekuSakuraba:  

Well, my main problem with MMOs are that.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Addfwyn

I enjoy it, but it sounds like MMOs simply aren't for you.  If you're in a rush to get to the end-game and think that is where the 'game gets good' then you're doing it wrong, to use a tired meme.  Half the enjoyment in MMOs is the journey, it's the travel and seeing the world and the social aspects as you approach the level cap.  In WoW, the BEST part by far was levelling, I typically got tired of raiding and endgame content very very quickly. 

As far as the game itself, it is gorgeous with probably the best environments seen in an MMO, and competitive with many non-MMO games (first game since Aion I've said that for).  It has some really unique game mechanics that make it different from other MMOs out there, with a lot of different stuff to do (crafting and harvesting are their own entire classes).   You can freely switch classes, and in fact you are gimping yourself if you only play one job from start to finish.  There's also a very interesting story that probably tops the borderline nonexistant story (looking at you EVE) in many other mmos.

That said, if you're the type that wants to rush as one class to end game content, this isn't for you.  XIV rewards stopping to smell the roses and enjoying the journey to the endgame, nobody can really say what the endgame is like yet, because nobody is there.  But that isn't what MMO play is about, really.  

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By ESREVER

Again, I REALLY want to like this game. But the system requirements and nasty bugs are a turn-off. 
    So I'll wait for the PS3 version. 

Also, Guild Wars 2 looks delicious.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Kuraform
    @NekuSakuraba:  

You have played it? O___O "

A lot of people have, it's been playable at Game / Comic conventions going on the past few months. 
    I wasn't trying to bash FF or anything, just that GW2 seems to be taking strides away from the typical MMO structure, especially in regards to leveling and grinding. 

Seems to be the sort of thing you're looking for.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WinterSnowblind said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Kuraform
    @NekuSakuraba:  

You have played it? O___O "
    A lot of people have, it's been playable at Game / Comic conventions going on the past few months. I wasn't trying to bash FF or anything, just that GW2 seems to be taking strides away from the typical MMO structure, especially in regards to leveling and grinding.  Seems to be the sort of thing you're looking for. "
    I love how you level up at the same rate throughout the game, I think it's a great idea instead of being stuck at a certain level forever.
    Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Nasos100
    @NekuSakuraba: if you DONT enjoy an MMO before hitting the level cap might aswell not play one.
    plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By plop1920

My thoughts on the beta: 

Lots of grinding, after the starting quest and the 4 or 5 levequest that take like 10 mintues each you pretty much have to grind to get to the next area. I was able to redo the levequest but I had to run all the way back to the city and then back to the crystal that starts the quest, why couldnt I just start the damn quest from the crystal without going back to the city? 

Combat was incredibly slow, which I thought was fine in ff11 but theres no auto attack. The class I played (archer) had me manually shooting every arrow along with my special attacks, but the interface was so laggy I would press my attack button and have him attack 2 seconds later. Was probably just laggy beta servers but it left a bad impression. 

Taxing on my computer. I have a pretty good rig and even I was chugging along in some spots of the city. 

Great music and art style though, I think pretty much if you enjoyed ff11 you would enjoy this, square isn't trying to market this to anybody other than its fan base really

cherub09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By cherub09

Overall I like the game :D 
    A few points of frustration: too few mobs, sloooow crafting, you can only do 8 quests in a 24 hr period (which is better than a 48 hr period.)
    Things I like: It's a beautiful game, easy macro system to change classes and skills, original storyline quests, feels and looks fresh, market system to sell your goods.
    Things I would like to see in the future: Housing system, more payment options from SE, click on chatbox  to /tell or /blacklist (as of now you have to type in both their first and last names.)

nekoNari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nekoNari
    @cherub09 said:
    " you can only do 8 quests in a 24 hr period (which is better than a 48 hr period.) "
    When did they switch from 48 to 24? That is great news... at least I'll have something to do tonight. I was forced to turn it off and go to sleep when I couldn't get any new quests after the initial 8...

Anyways, I am enjoying the game greatly. You just have to let the game grow on you. The graphics is really nice, but maybe a bit too nice. I had to tone down on the setting a bit to play with 25~30 FPS on my GTX 460... and 30FPS is just fine for gaming.

Crafting is also enjoyable as well. They may grow very repetitive, but that's better than spending all your life scrambling for ingredients, then just watch a bar fill up. There's some skill and luck involved in crafting here, which is always a plus for me.

Combat's just fine, too. It's kind of MMO-fied FFXIII battle system. And having to issue each attack manually means it's more involved than having auto-attack. Also, you can mix and match skills from other classes to make a unique combination of your own.

I recommend this game actually. This is 2nd MMO game I purchased (first was WOW). I'm enjoying it great deal. Except the severe limit on the # of quests you can do each day...
    newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By newhaap
    @cherub09 said:
    Things I like: ... market system to sell your goods.
    Really? I might be missing something but it looks like all you can do is find people who happen to be selling stuff in their bazaar, or go to the market wards and browse each individual retainer who are selling goods there. There is no way for you to find what you need other than to look at what people are selling one by one by one... Well, you could shout in chat I guess, but it's not an integrated 'market system' as you put it.
    StartAndPause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By StartAndPause

It's a decent game but I felt the leveling could be done a bit better it seems to just kinda dump you after the initial tutorial quests and 4 levequests. The bazaar system is bizarre, spend 15 minutes hoping you find someone selling what you want just seems like a simple auction house system would be easier to implement and easier to use for all.

The bigget problem I had with the game was crafting and while I liked the idea of giving you the mats and letting you skill up without grinding materials beyond questing I thought the crafting was a joke. There didn't appear to be a way to see what you could make (like a recipe book) an crafting itself takes an age.

I played a bit if FFXI and enjoyed it but I got FFXIV thinking that the great parts of XI would have been built upon and the game itself would advance to improve upon the flaws but I've since unistalled XIV because it simply seems to have stagnated and in parts got worse which is a shame because it looks great and I personally really wanted this game to succeed.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DoctorWelch

Just like the RTS genre, the MMO is now ruled by Blizzard and it will never let go. Just give up all hope, that's what I did years ago.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Addfwyn
    @DoctorWelch: There's plenty of good other MMOs out there, and TONS of promising ones coming out on the horizon.  WoW is by all means the most popular, but there's tons of other successful MMOs that cater to other niches.  
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Addfwyn said:
    " @DoctorWelch: There's plenty of good other MMOs out there, and TONS of promising ones coming out on the horizon.  WoW is by all means the most popular, but there's tons of other successful MMOs that cater to other niches.   "
    I dont know about that. I mean, EVE Online is really the only other MMO I would consider to actually be successful and dramatically different than WoW. I'm not really so sure about MMOs like The Old Republic, but I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. The problem is even if The Old Republic, or any other new MMOs for that matter, is really good, the chances of it being so good that the people playing WoW will leave is very slim. Basically, WoW has to die before anything else can truly live and I dont think Blizzard will let that happen.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Marcsman

IMO it is a ripoff. 
    Squaresoft your time has passed.
    Avatar image for ninjastarstruck
    ninjastarstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ninjastarstruck
    @Nasos100 said:
    " @NekuSakuraba: if you DONT enjoy an MMO before hitting the level cap might aswell not play one. "
    Some play for masochism, I guess.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Addfwyn
    @DoctorWelch: FFXI has still stuck around for a pretty long time, which for a game that predates WoW is a pretty good success story.  Plus there are tons of other MMOs, that while they don't have the huge playerbase of WoW, still do well enough to make the company money, and have enough of a population that the games are fun to play. 

Examples include: Eve Online, LOTRO (Now free to play), DDO (Now free to play), Aion, Warhammer, Age of Conan (since they revised things), and any other number of F2P MMOs that survive on a cashshop (Runes of Magic and Allods Online both set high standards in F2P).  None of these MMOs pull in WoW's numbers, sure, but they cater to a non-WoW audience and they do just fine for themselves.  I don't think you need to have 10 million subscribers to be a success.  People don't have to leave WoW to play your game in order for it to do well, and I think that's a misconception a lot of people have.  You do not need to be a wow-killer in order to survive in the MMO market, and it's silly trying to be.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @Addfwyn: The only MMOs you named that I would consider successful is Eve, and Aion. I think as a general rule, if you need to make your MMO free to play, something went wrong. I'm not saying that some of these games arent good, but I wouldnt consider them very successful. It's sorta like what I was talking about with the RTS genre. It's not like Starcraft is so huge that no other RTS games have been able to make money and survive, but Starcraft II comes out and just blows everything else out of the water. I think the problem is that someone needs to come along and make an MMO that is extremely innovative and drastically different from anything else on the market. That's really the only way I can see any MMO being really successful these days.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#33  Edited By KaosAngel

No Caption Provided
    It has a 1 star average, I picked up the CE last week and barely touch it now.  I gave my pimp desktop to my brother to let him have fun with FF14 and even he's bored now...almost hit lv 30 on his primary, and his classes are leveling quickly too. 

It's not worth it.  The noise on 2channel is that they hate this game too.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#34  Edited By EpicSteve

I can tell you FFXI was fucked up and this game shares most of the game design.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Brenderous

How "grindy" is XIV? I heard in FF XI it was impossible to lvl by yourself, and really hard to find a group, and fights took a LONG time.  

If there a lot of quests? How is the exp reward for those quests? Are there lots of Solo quests? Group quests? Any instances of any kind?

Is that just the FF MMO deal? Or is XIV different from XI?

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Addfwyn
    @KaosAngel: Civ5 also got innundated with crap 1star reviews, I don't really trust Amazon reviews anymore since they are so easy to game, and frankly community reviews are kinda useless anyway.  Finding one person whose opinion you agree with on games is worth more than any number of other reviews. 

Also, taking anything on 2channel seriously is probably a bad idea.  Those guys are screwed up.  

EDIT: Reading some of those reviews, I wouldn't take them too seriously.  Two of them are from guys that couldn't get the game to run due to hardware issues, so just gave it 1 star, and a couple more are just written about the beta and not the actual game.  

@Brenderous: They made soloing possible, though partying is intended to be faster (though that isn't necessarily currently so).  Quests, it depends what you mean.  There are storyline quests (which are fantastic, some of the best storyline for an MMO...not surprising coming from Square) and guildleves (which are like daily quests from MMOs like Aion or WoW).  XIV is similar enough to XI that if you didn't like XI, you may not like this.  But the opposite is true, and if you loved FFXI (which I did) this is largely a refinement and improvement over that, and you will probably like this as well.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By fjordson

It's not terrible, but I'm not in love with the slow combat. Running into some nasty bugs as well.

Just another notch in WoW's belt when all is said and done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.